Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda RX-8 Recalls

2»

Comments

• thuynwinthuynwin Posts: 3
    Go to NHTSA website and you should be able to see all the recalls that were on your year model. I'm pretty sure you have read all the posts about these cars....mine is the same. Good thing I got rid of that junk and got an acura. I hope your car isn't the same as everyone on here, good luck
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    edited June 2011
    You can find recalls and TSBs for your RX-8 without even leaving Edmunds.com -- check our Maintenance Section.

ClaireS, Host
    Automotive News & Views | Coupes & Convertibles

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• did you ever get a list of cars that were open for recall ... my wife has an rx8 with isssues that sound exactly like the expected problems to be covered by the recall at only 65000 kilometers we live in australia
  • Hi, no I never got a list of recalls or anything. I winged it for a while and kept the car until I saved enough money to get another car. I finally did sell the car, but for VERY VERY low since there was a lot of defects. I sold it for only half of the market value price. The guys I sold it to knew about these cars and they just wanted my car for the body style. They said they didn't care about the motor because it's a piece of crap, they were going to take it out and put a different motor in. My advice is to sell as fast as you can so you don't have to put so much money into it...going through lawyers and attorneys isn't worth it, because those car companies will do everything to save a penny, and might even put you more in a hole. Save some time and just take a lost before it gets too bad...

Sorry I couldn't be more help and best of luck. The best thing I ever did was got rid of that damn car and got myself an acura =)
  • Mazda USA recommended the wrong oil (5w20) to better the EPA ratings and improve MPGs for the RX8 but ultimately, you are doing damage to your motor and shortening the life of your exhaust system.

10w40 regular motor oil has been tested and proven to produce optimum results for the RX8’s rotary. Because this oil is thicker, it does not heat up as quickly as 5w20 and keeps your engine cool. This is imperative!!! Rotaries can run very hot because they redline a 9000 rpm. Many issues with the RX8 are caused by overheating and the RIGHT oil will decrease the chances of overheating.

Unfortunately, you will lose a few MPG using 10w40. However, if you are so concerned with gaining just a few MPG instead of keeping your car running healthy long term then you should have bought a Prius. If you cannot afford the few extra bucks for gas then you cannot afford to properly care for the RX8.

Typically, the catalytic converter is the first to be effected by use of wrong oil. Almost all RX8 owners notice that their oil has to be topped off constantly. This is because the oil is too thin. It will clog the catalytic converter. This is where your carbon buildup probably first started.

Catalytic converters are covered under the Emissions Warranty for U.S. cars 8years/80k miles. There is no sure way to know if your catalytic converter is going bad unless your CEL (check engine light) is on or you gut it (which is illegal so shops won’t do it).

The first sign of it starting to clog is a huge amount of smoke coming from your exhaust and a little loss of power (but these are symptoms for many other problems too). With the RX8, these signs are usually caused by the catalytic converter going bad from the use of the wrong recommended oil. If your CEL is illuminated, check your o2 sensor FIRST (not nearly as expensive and they can go bad).

If the issue is your catalytic converter, and the warranty has expired, you are looking at a $1,500+ part, and that doesn’t include labor. Some places like auto zone have a cat for around $2-300 but they are complete junk, do not bolt on so you better have a welder if you’re going to DIY and 6 months later you will be back to square one.

You have 2 options at this point: 1) Pay $1,5k for a part that’s only purpose is to appease the tree huggers (yes, the catalytic converter’s ONLY purpose is to filter out excess carbon and only hinders the cars performance) or 2) Pay $270- $370 for a catalytic converter replacement pipe and NEVER have that issue.

Racing Beat offers 2 (one is resonated, meaning it has a quieter exhaust tone) and there are a few others out there but I suggest researching each one first to find what best suits you. Personally, I have Racing Beat’s non-resonated cat replacement pipe and have never had a problem since.

Technically, it’s not “legal” for street cars so unless you have a friend who owns a shop, you probably won’t have any luck finding someone to do it (some shops will “check it out” to make sure there are no leaks but they will not install it). However, there are many that bolt on. I know Racing Beat’s does because I did it myself and it came with instructions. All I needed was a jack and torque wrench.

The only down side is that your CEL will more than likely come on because the o2 sensor will recognize that the catalytic converter is missing but there are several ways to take care of that, one being the Cobb Access Port. This is an AMAZING little device. With it, you can even improve your MPGs. Do some research, there is too much for me to explain but if you own a RX8, definitely check it out! This kind of technology is only available for model years 2004-08 (I believe).

Not only is a deleted cat an upgrade by giving you a few extra horses, your motor will last longer and stay healthier. If you have strong opinions on how deleting your catalytic converter is going to make a huge impact on the environment then you’re probably the type of person who would use the wrong oil to gain a whooping ~3 MPG. When your cat clogs and suffocates your motor making you lose power, blame yourself and your ridiculous views for environment... not the car.
  • Typically recalls are not mailed to the owners by any company. Mazda did extend their warranty on the engines core components to 10 years/100k miles for all 2004-2008 year models but they do not advertise it now.

The best way to check for recalls is to call the make of your cars dealership and provide them with your VIN number. They are able to pull up EVERY recall on your vehicle and if it has already been taken care of (just in case you bought a used car).

It sucks that you did not have a good experience with your RX8. Since Mazda discontinued the RX8, I have noticed an increase in value personally. I predict they are going to slowly grow in value, just like the RX7 did.
  • I have the 2007 Rx8 and my passenger dash did the samething and the dealer swears there is no recalls on it, but im not so sure.
2»