Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Impala Steering/Suspension

Comments

• neals1820neals1820 Member Posts: 13
    It's the ISS causing the problem. The shaft needs to be greased every 10,000 but GM doesn't mention in their manuals.
  • lomaxlomax Member Posts: 2
    Is this something that a car owner can take care of? Will the dealer sell us a lube kit? Lomax
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I've wondered the same thing...if the dealer fix really does consist of drilling into the ISS and installing a grease fitting, I'd add a little grease every now and then if I knew where to find the fitting. Does anyone know if the fix involves a standard grease fitting, and if so, is it found under the dash, or the hood?
    On the now read-only "2005 and earlier" board, someone had posted about spraying their ISS with something called "PB Blaster" and it curing the clunking and looseness. I'd posted that I tried spraying mine with a WD40-type spray I had, but it had no effect. On Friday I was in the auto parts store (which I do much more often now that I've acquired a 1980 El Camino!), and I happened to see this PB Blaster on the shelf. I know this sounds like a commercial, but I bought a can of the stuff, went home, and sprayed it on the ISS universal joint under the dash for about 5 seconds. About 10 minutes later I took the Impala out and drove it for a couple of miles, and it seems as if my problem is cured! I don't know how long it will last, but the clunking was gone, and the steering felt tight and accurate again (it'd begun to feel rather loose, and drifted a good bit - not quite as bad at the El Camino, but close!). Time will tell if this actually fixes the problem; I'll try to post here if/when I have problems again (or if the PB Blaster creates any other problems).
  • greg3815greg3815 Member Posts: 15
    I own an 02 Impala 102k an taken very well care of it oil changes,ect,ect an all sudden one night comeing home from work i went to make a right turn an my front end froze up like it was locked whouldnt turn so i put all my muscle in it an forced it to turn an when it did i heard a pop nose since then i have no power steering replaced the lines an pump olny thing i mange to do was waste time an money everybody saying its the rack an piono what do yall think i am hopeing for some good feed back before i go spend 300$ on the part an another 200$ in labor
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
  • kdconodkdconod Member Posts: 53
    I've had the "ISS Clunk" for quiet some time, but I didn't know what it was until I found this forum. It was minor at first and I ignored it. But its gotten worse and worse the last few months. When I recently had my 2000 Impala in for brake work, I had them check it out. They couldn't find anything wrong, but I knew something was up! It felt like something was really loose in the steering.

I found this forum and bought a can of PB Blaster in my local Pep Boys (you also can get this online at: www.pbblaster.com). I was skeptical, but this afternoon I pulled off the kick panel under the steering wheel and peeled down the rubber boot around the steering shaft. Its not easy to pull this down, but I managed to push it down with one hand and spray with the other. I managed to spray the stuff so that some of it did go down the hole in the center of the shaft. Some sprayed all over the place and ran down inside the boot, I hope that's OK (It would be a lot easier if the PB Blaster had one of those little red tubes that is usually supplied with a can of WD40).

I took it for drive this afternoon, drove to a couple of stores, and lo and behold the ISS Clunk seems to be gone!! The steering still seems a bit loose and occasionally makes a click sound, but the clunk while turning at low speed and the "shifting" feeling while braking is gone!! So thanks to all who posted the info on this forum!
  • quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    Looking to see if anyone else out there is having problems with the front suspension on their '06 or newer Impala SS. I have seen one other post regarding the front struts getting soft and wanted to see if there's a pattern. The symptoms I'm experiencing are a bit subtle but definitely noticeable. It's most apparent when driving at highway speeds over uneven pavement with small bumps or gentle changes in the road surface. Major bumps that cause the suspension to travel significantly are still handled about the same as always but the smaller amounts of suspension travel seem to have less dampening. In other words, during the smaller bumps, the suspension doesn't stop bouncing as quickly as a it should. With a properly functioning suspension, there should be one bounce and an immediate leveling off. Mine now bounces twice in that small travel range. In comparison, my sister's Impala basically absorbs the same bumps with no real bounce, just softening of the road irregularity. Hopefully I've explained it sufficiently. I hope to hear from anyone with similar issues. Thanks! :)
  • fox76fox76 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 Impala with just under 36K miles.Last week I started hearing a faint pop when turning right, intermitently.I took it in & they said it was needing the steering gear to be replaced.I googled my car with steering gear & got to these and similar posts.I learned that GM cant seem to get it right.I read that the steering gear replacement does no good or only a temp fix.I mentioned this to the service rep.He said they know it is a common problem and metioned all the TSB's.I believe he said GM plans a permanent fix soon, may have misunderstood.I mentioned lubricating the ISS.He said they dont do that anymore.I got my impala back last night and the popping is worse.It is not louder it but it happens EVERY time I turn, right or left, between 15 & 40mph.I have read that tightening the suspension works.I called an independent mechanic who said GM cant seem to fix it & that his daughter's '01 still pops.He said that he has heard that you can use a injecting needle to inject silicon (i believe he said silicon) into the frame (?) and it expends to tighten things up. Has anyone had a positive outcome from having this popping noise? Or does it ALWAYS come back? THANKS!
    When my 2000 Impala first developed the ISS problem several years ago, I took it to the dealer and they did the lube fix, which worked until very recently. Someone here posted that they'd lubed their ISS themselves with an aerosol lubricant called "PBBlaster" and it cured his problem. I tried it too, and it eliminated probably 95% of my ISS problem. It's been two months since I sprayed mine and the problem hasn't recurred. Basically you just pull down the rubber dust cover on the ISS underneath the dash and shoot it with this stuff, and the problem seems to go away. It may not be a permanent fix, but it beats nothing.
  • oldharryoldharry Member Posts: 413
    They do still lube those ISS's. While my '05 Impala is still in warranty, I bought the GM kit (about $9 wholesale) and did it myself. It took me about 40 minutes to:

Secure the steering wheel so that the clock spring connector did not get dammaged.

Remove the shaft, extend it, put in the lube, and the rubber stopper, and work the shaft in and out.

Remove the stopper.

Re-install the shaft.

The new lube is a white translucent gel, the old was a clear gel. The shaft compressed and extended much more easily and smoothly in my hands after lubing.

The problem disapeared completely. Before lubing the shaft stuck then moved as the u-joints changed overal length of the shaft while flexing. This felt like something was loose or broken.

The car had 25 k miles when I did the lube, it will be a while till I know how long it lasts.

Harry
    Thanks for the info! I will try it. I have had the car to the dealer twice now. The first time they made it worse after replacing the steering gear. After the second drop of, they said they replaced a wheel bearing and the popping was gone. My dad thought that sounded like bunk. Sure enough the popping is still there after I picked it up yesterday and it is right back at the dealer again for the third time. I think this is ridiculous and will definitely try the PB Blaster all of you have suggested. That is if I dont take the car back to where I got it!! Thanks again!
  • shanewshanew Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2005 impala. I bought the vehicle used with 32,000 miles on it and when I test drove it, it ran and drove like a dream. Me and my wife were excited about the car, and after several 1000 miles I began to notice the slight click, crunk, crunch, however you may want to describe it, you know its there.

The car now has 42,000 miles on it and the steering issue has been driving me insane for months. I took it to chevy, and being a little out of warranty, they informed me they charge 100$ per hour to repair it. I put it off.

Finally, today I found this forum and saw the PB Blaster recommendation. I left work and went to auto zone, and by chance got the last can of PB Blaster.

I took off the panel under the steering columng (very easy, 2 thumb tabs pressed inward and it pops right off). If you do this the boot around the steering axis isnt very hard to push down, in my 2005 model anyways. Once I pushed it down nicely and adjusted the steering wheel a bit, you can see the hole in the shaft, and the joint.

I emptied about a quarter can into that bad boy, all over the joint, and down the shaft. Started the car up, and the problem is GONE.

The pb blaster WORKS. THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH. This has been driving me crazy for months, I cant believe it worked.

It doesnt not crunch or click when breaking, or steering at low speeds anymore, hell it feels like a sports car now!

Thanks guys !

To anyone else with this problem, BUY A CAN OF PB BLASTER AND LUBE IT UP , IT WORKS !
  • mymittiesmymitties Member Posts: 242
    Anyone out there have a gm parts list, or manual, or something ??!!
    I need help getting the actual GM part numbers for the front
    and rear struts on a 2006/2007 Impala SS . I've contacted some of the suggested GM direct-parts guys on the internet and they seem too busy...nothing yet. Can anyone help..??
  • mymittiesmymitties Member Posts: 242
    I am now being told by my local GM dealership that the
    front struts in a 2006 /2007 LT and SS have the same part
    number and therefore are exactly the same...How can this be when the SS has the firmer sport suspension(F3) and the rear struts are different. Are there any GM parts pros out there that can help...I've got a real dilema here...!!
    Thanks
    Frank
    I'm LMAO at the moment after reading your post! If I hadn't had the same experience, I'd swear you were some marketer posting a bogus message here to try to sell a product. But it's so true, it is SUCH an annoyance, and then you spray this stuff on it and the problem is GONE almost instantly. This may be the one case where something sounds too good to be true, but isn't.

To be perfectly honest with you, had I read the post a few back from the person that went to their dealer and bought a greasing kit and took the ISS apart and such, I'd probably go that route over the PBBLASTER. Even though the PBBLASTER fix is incredibly easy, I worry about what effect it might have on the car down the road. I can't imagine it causing a problem, but if mine comes back I'll probably at least investigate the GM grease kit option. But so far mine has held up for two months without returning, and I didn't put anywhere near a quarter can in mine! :)
    Frank,
    Sorry I can't help you with the part numbers but I thought I'd ask if you're having problems with your suspension. My front suspension is driving me a bit crazy because it's so loose now. I've taken it to two different dealers and they both say it's fine but I know better. I haven't been able to find another SS on the lot to compare it to but I'm going to try again next week.
    Good luck and please keep us posted!

Ron
    On my third trip in to the dealer (than heavens for warranty), they finally got it. I am not sure if what they told me is the problem is the same thing everyone has been saying just with different words, but I have not heard a pop in a while and I am loving it. They said the noise came from the cradle bolts. They lowered the engine cradle and lubricated mounts. The service rep said that the bolts were not loose but were flexing? That sounds like the same thing to me! Happy Holidays to all!
    When the 2000 Impala first came out, lots of folks complained about a "ticking" sound coming from the aluminum engine cradle when turning (mostly noticed at low speeds, and probably with the windows down, like you'd encounter in a parking deck). I think lots of folks worried about this cradle and how well it would hold up, so they were overly anxious about it. Anyway, mine did it back then (and probably still does), but 100K miles and almost 7 years later I've had no cradle-related problems. Good to know there's something that can be done to eliminate it (it can be annoying), but by the same token know that the cradle isn't about to fall (at least not in the near future).
  • hosterhoster Member Posts: 4
    Took in my 2004 LS (13k miles) with mild noise and popping sensation from steering column when I would turn, especially when accelerating. The problem was fixed using bulletin 01-02-32-001G "Lube intermediate shaft" and replace "279 WA40" with part # 26098237.

I also noticed, especially after a cold start, that the car would not accelerate as it once did. It seems like it would stall for just a second before jetting off. The dealer found a PCM update to improved performance. They used "J6355 powertrain control module with sps".

These solutions completely fixed both problems! :D
    Anyone have any idea what "279 WA40" is? I've known part of the intermediate steering shaft fix involves lubrication, but I haven't heard about replacing anything.
    Maybe it's a cap on the grease fitting? Didn't the shaft have a cover that was hard to get off?
    There's sort of a rubber sleeve on it, but it sort of accordians down to expose the shaft. I've pretty much eliminated my ISS problem with the PBBlaster treatment, but it'd be nice to know what parts they're also replacing as part of the process.
    My popping is back. It has only been about 1K miles since they fixed it by tightening the cradle bolts. Guess I will be going back soon! So either it really is not the cradle bolts (that fix masked the problem) or they need to figure out how to keep those darn bolts from "flexing". I am glad to hear that after 100K you have not had any cradle problems.
  • ianmcdcaianmcdca Member Posts: 1
    I`m new here and I realize that this is an old post, but my `02 3.4 has the same pop/knock/squeek/creek. I had the ISS done so thats not the issue. It`s not the struts. Had the control arm bushings replaced as well as the stabilizer links and bushings. Had the mechanic tighten the cradle and what do you know! Gone...for 2 weeks. Came back. There is a fix. I`m doing mine this week.

Check out this link for the TSB.

Ian

http://forum.newimpala.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1101054185/30
  • bena8837bena8837 Member Posts: 26
    I'm sorry but I was just reading the messages about problems with the popping of ISS on 02 Impala and I have the same problem and have had it repacked twice but doesn't last long. My question is, what is the PBBlaster treatment?
    Is it something I can buy and where can I find it?

Thanks
    PBBlaster is definitely something you can do, and you can buy a can of it at most auto parts stores. I will say that my ISS clunking has started to creep back again, so don't think PBBLaster is a one-time cure, but it did seem to solve the problem for several months (and even now I'm just starting to feel some clunking when turning occasionally; nowhere near like it was before). It isn't strong enough at this point to annoy me, but if/when it does I'll give it another shot of this stuff and see if it goes away again.

Basically all you have to do is look under the steering wheel and there's a panel that clips in the front and hooks on the back (towards the firewall). The under dash light on the driver's side is on this panel too, so it will drop down when you disconnect the front clips. If you twist the light it will come out of the panel, which A) keeps the panel from hanging on the wires, and B) actually provides a handy mini-flashlight to use while you're doing this.

Once you lower the panel, you'll see a big rubber sleeve that covers the steering shaft. If you pull down on this (sliding the top portion down towards the floor, sort of like taking off a sock), you expose the ISS, which looks like a basic universal joint. All I did was spray the PBBlaster on (and especially down the middle, there's sort of a hole there that runs down the shaft) this area for maybe 10 seconds, then slipped the rubber sleeve back up, replaced the light fixture and cover panel, and that's it. Admittedly the rubber sleeve on mine was kind of stiff, so it takes a fair amount of effort to hold it out of the way, and it would help if you had a straw (like you get w/WD-40) to pinpoint the spray. Since you'll be using one hand to hold the sleeve back, and the other to spray the lube on, it really does come in handy to position that light in advance so it's shining where you need it.

Give it a shot; it may not be the final fix, but at least it has lasted several months for me. I don't remember what the PBBLaster cost me, but it's probably $3-4 for a standard sized can. And you'll only use a small amount of the stuff, but it's good to keep around for rusty bolts and such.
  • wheelmanswheelmans Member Posts: 1
    I've had this same problem for several months with my 05 LS. The dealer lubed the ISS a couple months back and brought my car back in a few days later. He told me that GM was working on a new design for the ISS and to call back in a month or two. I called back and scheduled for 10 Jul to replace the ISS. I'll post back with the results. I have my fingers crossed. I'll check to see if this might be part of a recall or something. I have an extended warranty so it's still covered.
    Too late for my 2000 model warranty-wise, but depending on what exactly they replace and the cost involved it might be worth looking into if you have good results with it. PBBlaster worked for a time, but I've noticed recently my problem is back. I'll probably hit it again with PBBlaster and see if it helps, but promise of a long-term solution sounds good.

See if they can show you the difference between the old design and the new - heck, maybe even take a digital camera and shoot some pictures and post them here; there'd obviously be several other folks who'd be interested in seeing them.
  • whitecloud2004whitecloud2004 Member Posts: 2
    Hey, I have an 04 Impala and have the same clunking sounds, almost feels like the engine is knocking around but I can tell it's in the steering. Have 39000 miles and just had to replace the rear pads and rotors. Rotors were so corroded, rusted inside with big chips broken out of the steel. Car started to
    have break judder when stopping - very annoying. It cost me $361 and they said I need the front brakes done too.
    Today one of the wheels started humming at 20mph 2 days after getting new brakes. Am I in for it now or what?

missy rissy
    FWIW my ISS continued to get clunkier and clunkier since July; this evening when I got home I hunted down my can of PBBLaster and gave the ISS a good long spray of the stuff. I don't know exactly how much I sprayed in there, but I tried to send most of it down the interior of the shaft that runs from the universal joint-looking piece under the dash downwards. If I had to guess, I probably sprayed 2-3 fluid ounces down there; also sprayed a little around the U-joint itself just for the heck of it.

Just got back into the car to run a quick errand, and the clunkiness is totally gone, and the steering is much less vague than it had been. One of the reasons I finally sprayed it again is I'd noticed the car had begun to drift a little, and I remembered before having the same problem that went away with the application of the lube.

One suggestion; it's kind of awkward to get to the ISS under the dash, but what I did this time that seemed to work pretty well was to open the driver's door and then basically stick my legs under the car, so I ended up sitting on the ground.
    I thought I would post about an ISS issue I had. I'm a previous owner of an '02 Monte Carlo SS and am familiar with the ISS problem. With my '02, the diagnosis was the ISS but not serviceable issue, only a maintenance/annoyance as far as the dealership was concerned.

On my '06, at approximately 25K miles, my ISS started clunking but this time it got progressively worse. It was bad enough by the time I took it in (at 27.5K) that it would clunk while braking and when initially accelerating from a stop (as well as any other car movement below 35 mph). I had resigned myself to being told it was a maintenance issue and figured they would only lubricate it but as it turns out, they replaced it as defective. I didn't get to talk to anyone in the service department, something I'm not real happy about, but I am pleased that the problem was resolved with a replacement. The ISS problem had been progressing for so long now that I had learned to live with it to a degree and now that it's fixed, the car feels SO much better to drive. I don't know if this is a new problem regarding the ISS or if mine was worse than normal but I definitely wanted to share since it's usually not a replacement. Hopefully this will help others out there! :D

By the way, can anyone tell me if while replacing the ISS, is it likely that the steering wheel could be set out of alignment. I now seem to have to hold the wheel about 5-10 degrees to the right. The overall alignment seems the same but I'm pretty sure the wheel is off. I don't want to make a fool of myself if it's in my head but I'm pretty sure they messed it up. Thanks!
  • cnwcnw Member Posts: 105
    Ron, Not sure what the procedure is when they replace the ISS, but it is definitley something they could have screwed up. If I'm not mistaken, the ISS is a splined shaft, and in replacing it they probably got it off by one tooth. One way to check is to turn from center, straight ahead to the full left and right position (lock to lock, as they used to say). It should take an equal number of turns (and fractions of a turn) in each direction. Clark
    That's what I was thinking...off by one spline, so to speak. If so, would the wheel end up definitely off? In other words, if the wheel were installed correctly, would the wheel turned lock to tock end up in comparable positions at something like 9 o'clock to the left and 3 o'clock to the right but if installed incorrectly, it may now turn to 10 o'clock to the left and 4 o'clock to the right? That seems to make sense but I want to make sure I'm following you. Thanks!
    You've got it! Good luck with the dealership service department.
    Clark
    Just FYI on PBBlaster...I doused my ISS with it again back in early October, and now in mid/late November my clunk is back. The first time I tried PBBlaster it lasted for maybe 6 months, but the longer I drive the car the shorter the time period that this fix works.

I may actually be getting ready to sell my 2000; not because of this or any other particular problem, but because I've got two kids approaching driving/college age, and to avoid multiple car payments I may get something new soon so I can pay it off before the kids cycle through.

I glanced back at some more recent posts but didn't see this info out there; is there anyone who has had their ISS replaced/repaired outside of warranty that can give me a rough idea of what it would cost to fix? If it's not too dear I'd probably rather get it fixed before I sell it, especially if I end up selling it myself.
  • jsandra2000jsandra2000 Member Posts: 2
    I've got an '06 LT3 that I have scheduled to go in the shop next week for the intermediate steering shaft problem. It's making the clunking noise when turning and also when going up and down my rather bouncy gravel driveway, there is a lot of popping in the steering wheel and column. However, over the last few days I've noticed a vibration that you can feel in the floorboard after you get up to about 60 mph and it seems to be getting worse. You can here it as well. It almost sounds like a bad tire, but I'm not feeling anything at all in the steering when it does this. In fact you can let go of the steering wheel and it holds straight and steady. Any ideas if this could also be related to the steering shaft issue or maybe a tire out of balance? I would think a tire issue would cause the steering wheel to vibrate as well. Thanks.
    You might take a close look at your rear tires; could be one of those has developed a problem (or thrown off a balance weight) and if bouncing somewhat (but you wouldn't feel it through the steering).
  • axinutaxinut Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2008 Impala with about 14K miles on it, :) I think mine has the ISS clunk. :( It has been making a clunky sound that seems to be coming from the left side of the car. I noticed last night that the noise seems to be coming from the steering column. It seems to be more pronounced when I put my foot on the brake pedal or take it off of the brake pedal.

I would have thought after eight model years they would have corrected this issue. So I guess I will be off to the dealer in the next week or so to get it corrected.
  • wbowl99wbowl99 Member Posts: 133
    I've had a vibration almost from when I first got my 06 alnog with noise and clunking. Selling dealer's service said what they felt was normal and they could not replicate the noise and clunking. Then last week at 28K it started a new noise and bumping feeling when I would turn to the left and I could also feel it in the brake. Took it to a different dealer who replaced an outer tie rod and the steering shaft. When I first got it back I could feel a rubbing when I turned to the left, but that seems to have gone away. The steering is a little tighter now, though.
    I had a clunking/clicking noise whenever--with the car in "Park"-- I put my foot on the brake pedal or took it off. I have bucket seats and the noise came from the console area. Also discovered I could hear the same noise when I depressed the shift-lever button to take it out of "Park". After having parts replaced by dealer, discovered thru some folks on this forum that it is the normal sound for the solenoid that engages/disengages the interlock associated with the transmission and shifter linkage/ brake pedals, etc. All part of the safety stuff to prevent shifting out of Park without having your foot on the brake. You may be exoeriencing the same thing. Clark
    FWIW, my sister (owner of an '06 3LT) just had a tie rod bushing (I believe) and (just before her warranty expired) a rear trailing arm replaced. The trailing arm had broken, at least that's what she was told, and was causing a clunking sound in the rear. Since most of the problems in the Impalas seem to be systemic, you all might want to file that away in the back of your brain in case you start experiencing similar symptoms. I've noticed some clunking in the rear when driving through a parking lot with bad pavement (for example) that I think may be the same problem. I hope to have mine checked out this week while I'm home for Christmas. My selling dealership seems to be better at addressing concerns than the one I use near my home. I'll post any results if I get them.
    Ron,

Just saw your post regarding the "clunk" noise coming from the rear when going a rough pice of pavement. I have also noticed that but discounted it as just a quirk of the rear suspension. I should have suspected something, because I only hear it in a right turn as the right rear crosses a pice of concrete that drops approximatel 2 inches. Yes, the sound is repeatable and predictable in that same corner. I need to get under the car and do some checking and then pursue it with the dealer. Thanks for the heads-up. Have a Merry Christmas with your family. Clark
    Clark,
    Funny you should mention the right-rear because that's where my sound is coming from.

Here's another tip for anyone else who suspects a problem: fold down your rear seats and test your car. Any noise from the rear suspension is MUCH louder with the seats down. I discovered this by accident since I have my seats down to aid in hauling around a lot of "stuff" during the holidays. My symptom is more like a crunchy-squeak sound as the springs are flexed. So far, the best way to repeat this is to go over speed bumps slowly. I still have the proper 1 1/2 bounce but that first "1" is very noisy in the right rear.

Thanks for the input, Clark!

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well!

Ron
  • partyuv5partyuv5 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,i have a 06 Impala LT with the 3.5 V6. Love the car for the most part but i have this annoying little rattle/clunk from the steering column. You can't hear it as much as feel it in the steering wheel. When turning wheel and accelerating from a stop or just stopped and release the brake and apply it again quickly,you can feel slight movement in the column. It's not like a loose steering wheel and doesn't seem to affect anything,just an annoying little feeling. The car has 21,000 miles on it and i purchased it used at 19,000. I love the car really and this about all i can nit pick at. Thanks all in advance.
  • tom108tom108 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 with over 100,000 and it does the same thing. I think it has since early on. I did change the ball joints but that didn't fix it.
    It's too bad because i really like the car but this little clunk drives me crazy. That and lousy range on the remotes, but what are you gonna do. The remotes should work from more than 20 feet,but 1 annoyance at a time i guess.
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    The steering column noise is most likely the Intermediate Steering Shaft (ISS). This is a relatively common issue on the Impalas. The dealer may be able to fix it by either replacing the ISS or lubing it. Most people that have it fixed say it comes back eventually. My '06, at 21,500 miles, makes a noise sometimes but I just ignore it.

The remote range issue can also be addressed by the dealer. I believe that Chevrolet has issued a Technical Service Bulletin for the issue. Last time I was in for routine maintenance, a gentleman in the waiting room was having his Impala fixed due to range issues with his remote keyless entry.
    Thanks for the reply. I will check with my local dealer on both issues. At least i can go in and listen intelligently.
    Party,
    See my post (#84) regarding the ISS. I had mine replaced under warranty and that hasn't been the usual. Mine started clunking at around 25,000 miles and got progressively worse.
    Both of your issues, ISS and remote range, should be fixed under warranty. There is a TSB for the remote range that involves replacing the receiver and issuing new FOBs so you DEFINITELY want to get that done before your warranty expires.

Good luck and keep us posted on your experience!
    Ron
This discussion has been closed.