Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Impala Steering/Suspension

123457»

Comments

• insgeekinsgeek Posts: 6
    edited February 2010
    When it rains, frosts or I hit a puddle I loose my steering for a few seconds. This is very dangerous and the dealer ship keeps saying they can't find anything wrong. My mechanic replaced the belt and cleaned everything off and it was fine for about 4 months. Now its started again any one else with this problem? The car has 53,000 miles on it and I bought it used with 37,000 miles.
  • Check the Serpentine belt tensioner. I may have worn or have an imperfection that is causing it not to have enough tension when the belt is wet.
  • I had a problem with my 2008 Impala intermittently losing power steering that appeared to be worse under wet pavement conditions. I initially thought the problem was due to a slipping belt since there was a squeeling noise when I turned the steering wheel abruptly left-right-left-right.... while parked, most noticeable after starting the engine cold. There was also a squeel upon starting the engine cold with no movement of the steering wheel. I took the car to the dealership and they could find no problem on the first visit.
    The intermittent steering occurred a few more times until I was nearly hit head-on while trying to make a left turn on a busy road. I took the car back to the dealership and expressed my concern over the safety of the steering condition. The service department finally found and corrected the problem: a mis-machined harmonic balancer, which also drives the PS belt, which could under certain conditions become loose and spin slower relative to the engine crankshaft.
    The service department mentioned that they actually found the problem by checking their database of steering problems and found the harmonic balancer issue.
  • Thank you I'll send this to my mechanic. The dealer has been less than helpful.
  • Thank you but this has been done twice. It was just checked again yesterday.
    That belt couldn't be any tighter.
  • The belt was not the problem on my 2008. It was a loose hamonic balancer which drives the belt. The dealership can access the problem listed in the Chevy database.
  • The dealer says the bulletin doesn't exist. Do you happen to have the bulletin number. Last time I buy a car from them..
  • joe336joe336 Posts: 5
    I will contact my dealership, Bowman Chevrolet, and get more details.
  • joe336joe336 Posts: 5
    Here is the Service Invoice word for word:

C/S LOUD SCREETCH NOISE ON COLD START.NOISE CHANGES WHEN STEERING WHEEL MOVED BACK AND FORTH. POWER STEERING CUTS OUT AT TIMES CAUSE:
    M MISC REPAIR
    707 MILLER, LARRY J LIC#:
    W (N/C)
    1.12588034BALANCER (N/C)
    1 12577710 SEAL (N/C)
    FC: PART#: COUNT:
    CLAIM TYPE:
    AUTH CODE:
    14880 SLIPPING / MISMACHINED ROAD TEST SEVERAL MILES & P/S JUST DROPS OFF AT TIMES. NEC TO SEARCH BULLETINS FOUND BULL FOR BELT SQUEAL & P/S INOP. NEC TO MARK HARMONIC BALANCER & ROAD TEST VEHICLE. RECHECK BALANCER. FOUND MARKS HAVE MOVED, BALANCER SLIPPING. NECTO SEND TO HEAVY. NECTO REPLACE HARMONIC BALANCER & TIMING COVER SEAL PER 707 REQUEST. REASSEMBLE ENGINE & ROAD TEST OK.NEC TO SET TOE & ROAD TEST OK.
    07 & 718
    Thank you. The balancer has been replaced and everything seems fine. Your post solved the problem for me. I really appreciate the fact you posted it or I'd still be fighting to get this fixed. Now all I have to do is finish dealing with Chevy to get them to pay me back since it was their faulty part that caused this. Thanks again!!
    Just a follow up to my a steering problem that has now been corrected by replacing the harmonic balancer. The dealer could never find time to look at the problem while I was having it. My own mechanic fixed it after I told about the balancer. I was dealing with Chevy Customer Service for reimbursement since it's a defective part. They refuse to pay the $239 because a dealer didn't do the repair. 2 dealers wouldn't look at it. Apparently I was suppose to get in an accident or killed before they will aknoweldge there is a problem and pay for it. After 4 GM cars this is definitely my last because of their extremely poor attitude. How cheap can they be!
123457»