Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan 350Z Reliability and Maintenance Costs

13»

Comments

• I think that alot of people find that it is not practical and it isn't if you have a family. Also insurance may be more than they have anticipated, that and the cost of premium. Also there is a problem with oil consumption in the 06 Zeds'
  • I don't have a family yet and I plan on getting a z. And that is why I wnat it now, because when I have kids, there will be no need for a z or any kind of sports car until my kids move out and go to college....
  • I have a 2003 350Z with over 130k miles, purchased new. You can not find a more perfect car. It has not been into the shop for any issue. Normal maintenance has been performed by the dealership. I've used synthetic oil every 7500 miles until around 120k, started changing every 5k. Cost of ownership is very low. I'm on the third set of tired, got 60k on the original set, little less on the second. I'm pleased given that you can't rotate with the different widths front and rear. Does not take oil, doesn't leak oil. Performs as good a new. This car is driven at least 5 days a week.

I also have a 1986 300ZX, bought with less than 50k miles. I've had two problems with this car, an alternator went bad leaving me on the side of the road several years ago and now reverse does not have enough strength to back up a hill. The car has over 200k miles and is not driven much with the 350Z and a 2006 Frontier in the stable.
  • I just got a 2003 touring this past weekend and couldn't be happier. Because of some reliability issues that are known about the Z I got an extended warranty.
    I think it is hard to find a better car for the money.
    I did have to drive through snow yesterday which was not too fun but I made it. I can't wait until the summer when I can go crusing in the mountains near my home!
  • geez-

Mine is a 2005 GT roadster 6-speed manual. with 18" wheels I bought it new in 9/05. The build quality is okay, you can assess that yourself. The paint quality is poor. Mine is black and there front fasicsa which I had replaced and painted by a local shop is the best part of the car coating. The paint chips when you look at the car. In 25,000 (coincidence eh?) I have been through a total of 10 tires including teh RE040's it came with. At $200 per it adds up. I am NOT a lead foor burn out kid, rather a middle age white guy with a fun warm weather car. The noise from teh front tire cupping is deafening. It is teh first rear wheel drive car I have EVER had that chews up front tires faster that the rear ones!. Now today the dealer told me there is a TSB to explain why in 25,000 miles my sports car has used more oil than my Accord has in 297,000 miles. Looks like they may need to replace teh engine. In the meantime I have been instructed not to drive my "high performance sports car" cannot be accelerated at full throttle OR run at over 4000 rpm.

Is the picture getting more clear?
  • sc24sc24 Posts: 6
    I just bought a used 03' touring edition, amazing machine the 350Z is. I bought it from an Acura dealership, a few days ago i was looking at the exhaust pipes and i notice the right pipe is extended a little further than the left pipe i mean at first i thought my eyes were playing tricks on me then i had my friend look and he said the same thing, is it suppose to be like that? b/c before i bought my Z i saw a Z parked and i was checking it out and i noticed it on that Z too, so can anyone tell me are the pipes suppose to be like that? i was shown the carfacts report and my Z hasnt been in any accidents or had any problems whatsoever

if anyone can let me know that would be great!
  • lhatalalhatala Posts: 1
    Is it safe to buy a 17 year old girl a 2003 350Z?
    I would say no, however i dont know the 17 yr old girls driving history or even how well she drives, the Nissan 350Z is not a regular car its extremely powerful, and you have to be very careful in the rain or snow with it b/c its rear wheel drive.

I own a 350Z and I almost did a 360 on the expressway due to wet weather i was only going 15mph and barely tapped the gas to get into the next lane and basically spun out but i was able to regain control and straighten her out.

I honestly dont think the 350Z is the right car for any 17 yr old whether it be boy or girl w/ this car think of like this, would you want a 17 yr old on a crotch rocket? probably not, its just not a practical car for a teenager due to the high performance aspect of the car, just like a bike you have to really have respect for a car like the Z.
  • Anti-lock brakes are standard. Does it have side-airbags? Because you have so much control [it handles great], you are as likely to get out of trouble as in.

You could do worse, if that's your price range.

Tom and Andy the Cat
    Z Owners Since 1993
    Yea it does have side airbags, but most 17 yr olds arent experienced drivers, so why would you put a 17 yr old in a high performance vehicle? Thats like putting a novice motorcycle driver on a Suzuki Hyabusa* (spelling*) when they really belong on a Katana.

It doesnt matter if you have anti-lock brakes, side airbags or how well the car handles, if you dont know how to drive a high performance car like the Z all that safety stuff is irrelevant.

Besides whoever this parent is, my advice is get her something sporty since thats obviously what she is looking for, i would look at Nissan's new Altima coupe, it doesnt have as much horse power but its still a pretty cool looking coupe, not to mention if your daughter got a Z you'd be worried 24/7 every time she took the car out, do you really want that stress?
  • Hi , I'm new here I am in the over 60 crowd. I purchased a 350Z roadster in November . I live in Northern Illinois, so I haven't had the chance to really enjoy it much yet. So far I love it. In the past I had 442s,Mustangs,Chargers and Chevells. This car brings back the thrill of fast cars again LOL
13»
This discussion has been closed.