Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Impala Climate Control/AC/Heater

Comments

• 2005 Impala. Sometimes the blower will not come on. Wack the dash on the lower right of the
    climate controller or have to leave the fan on and it will come back on again. Dunno if its the relay or the blower motor. Might be the temp cluster.
    What do you all think?
  • bigdubigdu Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    07 Impala, with AC on, Recirculate is pushed/on and I change to Outside Air there is a knocking sound coming from the passenger side dash. This also happens when going from Outside to Recirculate. When parked and turn the engine off, I get the same knocking at about 4 knocks per second for about 15 or 20 seconds then it goes off.

Any help?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,166
    bigdu,

Have you had the chance to take your vehicle to your dealership to be diagnosed?

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • lane23lane23 Posts: 7
    It's been plus 90 degrees outside and my outside temperature reads that it's negative 40 degress so my A/C doesn't work... how to fix my outside temperature gauge to show the correct outside temperature?

Thanks!
    lane23,

Have you taken the vehicle to your local GM dealership to be looked at? Please keep me posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
  • richl53richl53 Posts: 5
    the reostate under the glove box by the fresh air intake
    replace the acuator on the passenger side that controls the flap in the duct for hot or cold
    theres 3 acuators on the duel climate control system 1 for the main hot and cold and 1 on the drivers side and 1 on the passenger side if you have no heat on both sides most likely the main
    You have to remove center of the dashboard 4 screws take off the fuse covers on both sides of the dash 1 screw on each side 2 screws on top by the instrument cluster then its all bush locks pull with a little force it will pop off you have to lower the stering wheel all the way down same witk the gear shift lever
    check the acuator
    Thank you for responding. I have appt for this coming Thursday at the dealership that I purchase my car from, Preferred Auto, Ft. Wayne, IN. Hopefully they will have a solution... I've found several out posting, here and other site where the Impala's have A/C issues. If it's common problem, was there a recall and I just missed it?

Thank You!
  • jtho53jtho53 Posts: 1
    My 2005 Impala has been fixed since the post. I purchased a new resistor assy from the parts house and tried to install it. Wrong part.

I checked the connector to the motor and cleaned some corrosion. I also wacked the bottom of the motor. It freed up the brushes in the motor . The system has been running good since.

John :)
    lane23,

Glad to hear you have an appointment at the dealership. Please keep me posted on any information from the dealership.

Thank you,
    Update...I no longer need to take the car into the dealership. I went to dealer parts store and bought the ambient outside air temperature sensor, took out the old one and now it works! All for $8.28 vs. $60 just for the dealership to run diagnostic search for what the issue might be.

Thanks!
    :)
  • 54sharon54sharon Posts: 1
    i have the same problem with 06 impala
  • fergufergu Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 2007 Impala SS.
  • I have a 2007 Impala that hasn't given me a single problem until a few days ago when driving at highway speed with the A/C on, I heard a squeak plus felt a quick jolt from the gas pedal and then felt warm outside air blowing. I haven't tried it since because it has been cool this week. Before I take it in to the dealer, is there anything I can check on myself, like a fuse?
  • You can check to see if might lost your ambient air flow meter, it's what tells the car if hot or cold outside, which in turns allows you to have your a/c on or not. Does your dashboard tell that temperature is in the negative range i.e. -40? Mine did for almost a year and I didn't want to spend the $250.00 fee just to see what the dealer think is wrong. Did some digging around online to find out what it might be...found information about ambient air flow meter that up in engine compartment.

A good way to tell if it is the meter if you know it's 80 degress outside but your car is saying it's negative 23 or 40 (like mine). etc. The ambiemt air flow meter is the front of engine compartment ( Believe I found a diagram in my owners manual that explained how to take out light in front to be able to get to it), you will need to carefully take out the whole light to get to it the part. My air flow meter was on front passage side of the car right under all of the light wires, etc. It's snapped in to front frame of the engine and connected by long cord that run back down under the engine to where it tells the car what the temp is outside. All you need to do is snap out part. Go to your local dealer & ask them for the ambient air flow meter for your Impala's year... the part cost me $7.85 and I had my Dad help me take part the ligith. put in the part then place the light back where it goes. it's a two person job less chance of dropping your front light ... way expensive if that would happen.

No local Hires, Advanced Auto Part, etc. will carry the part as it is exclusive handling by the dealership auto parts service center. It's been Fantastic to be able to have a/c in my car this summer! I hope this helps you out. ...If your temperature is reading normal on the dashboard then it is not the ambient air flow meter. There is also a a/c compressor but I'm not sure how to correct that myself has my issue with air flow meter.

Thanks!
  • cobcob Posts: 210
    You can check for the a/c fuse to see if it blew but it sounds like the compressor failed and the squeak was the serpentine belt slipping for a second while the compressor clutch locked up which caused the jolt you felt. Try turning the a/c on and open the hood. If the a/c compressor clutch does not cycle on and off then the compressor is bad. You can tell by watching the a/c pulley to see if the end of it spins or not. The pulley where the belt runs is free wheeling so it spins with the belt all the time just the end is the clutch that engages and disengages to pressurize the the system.
  • Yep, the compressor went bad and a new one will be installed. $$$.
  • rightduderightdude Posts: 2
    edited October 2011
    I had the same issue on my 2008 impala. This is probably not the GM recommended fix but it's working thus far. I dropped the glove box door down and the recirculate/outside air door is directly behind it. Even though the door was fully opening and closing, I could feel the actuator clicking. Thinking it might be out of time, with the door closed (outside air), I pried the door up one notch (about an inch and half opening) with a long screwdriver. I felt it click into place. When I tried the door again, it would fully open and close, and the clicking was gone. This was over a week ago and it is still working fine. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Hi I'm new to this forum and I have a 2005 Chevy Impala with no heat on the driver side, windshield defrost and floor vent but passenger side has hot and warm air blowing. Can anyone tell me what the problem is ?.
  • edc50edc50 Posts: 1
    I had this problem last winter. There is something called an actuator which is kind of like a little door that goes in front of the vent. Anyway it had to be replaced and the heater worked after that.
  • fixit4fixit4 Posts: 3
    This totally worked for me TODAY!!!

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0f8f18/41#MSG41

There is another post about getting the positioning of the motor right to line up the screw mounts. This was genius! I connected the motor, put it on the post and then used a small hand held mirror to see the screw holes. I connected the battery, laid on my back, turned the key on, turned the heater/ac on and moved the driver's side temp control from cold to hot until my screw holes lined up. After that, I got the screws in by touch and a little masking tape to help me hold on to the screws.
  • yes you are correct recirculation mode can only be use with certain modes on the a/c and heat module. if it blinks and goes off try turning the vent module to another setting like on deforst or the floor and it should stay on after hitting it!
  • ladyzladyz Posts: 14
    Thanks for posting. About month ago I noticed after getting in car in early afternoon, temperature on DIC showed 50something degrees. I knew that was wrong cause it was 80something. I had few errands to run which took couple hours. DIC still showed 50something degrees. Finally while returning home I noticed temp starting increasing. Has happened a few times. It's like it reads it correctly at the first startup and gets stuck. Am gonna have friend check out that ambient air flow meter.
    I see that you’re already having a friend look into this concern, but if we can be of any assistance, either by looking into warranty or recall information on your vehicle or by helping you work with a dealer towards a resolution for this concern, please email us more information, including your name and the last 8 digits of your VIN.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Noticed others have had the same problem, but wasn't able to see a solution? Is this problem able to be solved without taking it to a dealer? What is the solution?
  • I had the same problem. No heat when idling, when going under 45 mph or stopping. My problem was the dexi-cool coolant. Found out it was old and very gummy. Got a coolant flush and now my heat works fine. Cost me $80 to fix at local oil change place. Well worth it with winter here. :)
  • Thanks. Something worth checking in to! :)