Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan 350Z Transmission Questions

2»

Comments

• car_lovecar_love Posts: 27
    I will definitely have it checked out. Thanks
  • briin79briin79 Posts: 1
    If you open the hood on the top right next to the window open up that cover. That is where the transmission fluid goes in. You can look to see if its low there. No dipstick for the car though.

My clutch just went out after 52k miles. Dealer said same thing its a Wear item. Ive heard in many forums about this issue in cars with minimal miles. The dealer will tell you that nissan requires a new flywheel to be installed. Do not listen to them. They are just squeezing more money out of you. If you see many blue spots then yes you should buy another flywheel. But buy an aftermarket one at a cheaper price. I found someone to do the install for 150$ flywheel and clutch. I bought a used clutch for 100 lightweight performance flywheel for 150. Its recommended to also purchase the Clutch release bearings the same time to avoid any malfunction in the future.

The person doing the install is a Nissan tech. Came str8 from his mouth. Yes i know people shouldnt buy used but if you know what to look for it ok. Cant always afford new ya know!
  • I recently purchased a 2005 350Z Touring Roadster with 30,500 miles. Runs great, but on shifting, especially from 1st to 2nd, I hear a clattering noise. From reading the previous posts, this seems to be common. Is it the sign of a more serious problem such as the clutch getting ready to go? I am assuming the car was probably driven hard by the previous owner. I am not an aggressive driver at all.
  • babloo80babloo80 Posts: 1
    Debbieray,

Do you have issues with downshift or upshift or both with 2nd gear? If you have downshift / upshift issue with 2nd gear only, it might be related to synchro. You might want to get this sorted out before the 5 yr factory warranty expires!
    So, after a month and a half of dealing and trying to trouble shoot this odd clutch issue, I took my 2005 350z Touring model into the dealership today after getting the clutch to stick halfway down. It's been like this for a month... after about 15-20 minutes of driving, the clutch engagement drops halfway to the floor, engagement point changes and the gears crunch as I shift up and down. The mechanic reproduced the issue and said it's probably the clutch master cylinder and that there is probably a leak someplace, hopefully repaired on Friday. Sadly, the clutch seems to burned a bit and wore down due to the weirdness in engagement.

Positive: I have the Security Plus extended warranty for 1 year (dang it's only 1 year).
    Negative: the clutch burned a bit due to the odd clutch master cylinder issue... wonder if Nissan would cover a clutch replacement too? or pay partially for one? I may just ask.
    I get a rattle when my clutch goes out of whack... sometimes this can be due to not pushing the clutch far enough to reach the engagement/disengagement point... you might try making sure you're getting the clutch down far enough during shifts 1st and 2nd are the most finicky...

If you hear crunches through out more gear and the making sure that you push the clutch down far enough during gear changes doesn't work, you may want it checked out.
    Thanks, yeah I checked that it's above low and below high, the mechanic said it was low... OK...

I took it into the dealership today and was able to reproduce the problem... he thinks it's a faulty or leaking master cylinder. Will hopefully have the problem with the hydraulic pressure loss on Friday... unfortunately, it burned the clutch a bit while it was not fully pressurized and I've lost some clutch and trying to see if Nissan will help out on it. I asked for a quote from the dealer for a full clutch package replacement... they quoted around $800. Not sure I trust a non-Nissan mechanic with my clutch... I had an independent garage do my Acura GSR and they messed up the whole car by forgetting to connect the ground on the transmission housing back to the frame of the car... blew electrical stuff all over the place. I'll still look around for better pricing. Thanks for the tips.
  • yomiyomi Posts: 2
    Screw Nissan..Same thing is happening to me. I took mine in 3weeks after buying it brand new and they told me it was ok. The clutch was soft and smelt of burnt rubber. Is anyone suing?
2»