Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu Routine Care & Maintenance

maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,340
edited October 25 in Chevrolet
e2helper: this is a repeat question from a couple of months ago. I have changed my oil for 25 years now. When I did the 'Bu at 1000 miles, I could not possibly put in 5 quarts of oil as it says to do on page 5-95 (capacities and specifications). Someone on this forum recently said that the capacity was 4.5, but the manual is clear: 5quarts for the 3.5 liter engine. I put in 4 (maybe a few ounces more) the last time. Any reason you can see for the discrepancy? I always change the filter at the same time, and I let them both drain at the same time so there is no back pressure to hold oil in. It is odd that at the top of page 5-95, it says: "the following APPROXIMATE capacities....." Did the writers of this manual take a stab at the capacities??

Comments

• e2helpere2helper Posts: 1,002
    Outside my area of expertise but I have passed question to someone else who might know.
    Ummm.....your owner manual is incorrect. They are shown backwards :(

The 2.2 L4 is 5 quarts and the 3.5L V6 is 4 quarts.
  • 37453745 Posts: 152
    Ummm.....your owner manual is incorrect. They are shown backwards :(

The 2.2 L4 is 5 quarts and the 3.5L V6 is 4 quarts.

Thanks for clearing that up ! I had to put in 5 quarts to bring my oil up to the level shown on my Ecotec dipstick. It had me worried at the time. Strange that the smaller engine takes more oil. Easiest oil and filter change I've ever done.
    I am definitely passing your message to interested parties, 3745.

Thank you for sharing your "real world" experience on this.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,340
    that truly is a huge blunder. As I said before, there was no way I could put 5 quarts in. I sure hope no other do it yourselfer puts in 5 quarts without checking the stick. It would cause serious engine damage.
  • I drove about 20 miles with 5 quarts in it, then drained out 1/2 quart to bring it to the top of the stick. Did I do any harm?

GM, by the way, is denying that the manual is wrong. Their customer relations guy told me a half quart remains in the engine during an oil change. He called this "residue."
  • prdmprdm Posts: 145
    The danger with a seriously overfilled oil pan is that the crankshaft whips through the oil turning it into a froth that the oil pump can't move. If draining a half quart out of five brings the level down to maximum you are fine. No worries.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,340
    today, I put in about a half quart more to bring it up to the top of the stick too. That makes 4.5 quarts. So, I therefore agree with GM that half a quart stays in the engine when you do an oil change. GM should change their owner's manual to 4.5 rather than 5 then.
  • Thanks prdm, that's a big relief. I also checked the Car Talk website and Tom and Ray also say that up to one quart overfilled won't hurt anything.

It's sure easy to change the oil on this car! I've been doing my own for 30 years and this is almost as easy as my '66 Buick--just lower ground clearance!
  • Where on earth is the oil stick on a Malibu 2005? :confuse:
  • hgallardohgallardo Posts: 3
    Please help me in changing the oil filter on the 2006 malibu LS 2.2L
    thanks
  • 37453745 Posts: 152
    Sure. You will need, 32mm or 11/4" short socket. I find the 11/4" socket to be a neater fit. Extension for socket.

The Ecotec takes 5qts. The 2004 manual is wrong. I don't know what the 2006 manual says. I buy a 5qt jug of oil and just pour it in. This will bring it up to the correct level. By the way, the Ecotec has the worst dipstick I have ever seen. It's very difficult to see the oil level on it.

The oil filter housing is next to the composite (black) intake manifold on the right hand side. It has a black plastic cover. Using the 32mm socket remove the cover and you will see that the filter cartridge comes out with it. Unclip the cartridge and clip on the new one. Lubricate the small O ring at the bottom of the filter with engine oil. Screw the cover back on. Tighten the cover to NO MORE than 16lb ft. I use a torque wrench.

I have never liked Fram filters but luckily because you can see the construction of the cartridge, I have compared it to an AC Delco and see no difference. Also, this particular Fram is made in the United Kingdom and seems to be of high quality. The Fram that fits the Ecotec is CH9018 and I buy it from Wal-Mart.

Draining the old oil is also easy. Without jacking the car up I reach in from in front of the passenger side front wheel and easily reach the drain plug. Just remember that the oil pan of the Ecotec is aluminum so don't overtighten the drainplug although it has a very long thread and should be pretty robust.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.
  • Hello everyone,
    I have a 01 Malibu and I was trying to change my instrument cluster. I have an American car and I live in Canada, so I would like to swap my speedometer to the km/h in larger numbers...because it's hard to see the little numbers underneath. Is this at all possible? I have a friend that works on cars that is going to help me, but he's unsure about a malibu. Thanks for your help.
  • I have a 2005 Malibu Maxx, and my wife drives a 2006 Uplander. Both have the 3.5L V-6. I don't recall what my manual says, but the Uplanders says 4 quarts. BUT EVERYTIME WE GET THE OIL CHANGED THEY PUT IN 4.5 QUARTS ON BOTH CARS at Victory Lane!!! The dip stick comes up perfectly filled at 4.5 quarts.

Dip stick! Try it, you'll like it. LOL... :-)
  • yuryyury Posts: 146
    Hi all

I just got a 05 LS with 30000 km on it (about 19000 miles). Everything seems ok, but i did notice that the temp dipslayed on the temp gauge is at the halfway mark. it may go hairline up of down during driving.
    So I was wondering what is normal operating range fro these cars ? On all cars I owned before it stayed a bit below halfway.

Thanks a lot,
    Yury
  • paopao Posts: 1,867
    that is normal for the Malibu..at least me 04 Maxx LT...it runs at halfway....slighly below in winter and slightly above during the summer.....at times it will even climb higher....during my stop and go traffic........
  • yuryyury Posts: 146
    Ok, thanks, pao.

For these couple of days I have driven the car it seems to be at halfway or hair below in light traffic, and halfway or hair above in stop and go.

What's the engine on Maxx LT, is it the same 3.5 V6 ?
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 874
    The fan is programed to come at 230 deg F, so in stop and go traffic it will rise, normal. In summer you will not notice it with A/C on, the fan is on all the time under 40 MPH.
    I have the same engine
  • smee342smee342 Posts: 2
    hello all im new here and joined becouse ive seen some great feedback for problems others have had.

ok so my problem is lol i have a 1997 chevy malibu. and my shifter knob gets stuck from time to time. like when i go to start it in the morining i can't get the shifter out of park to move the car. i was told about this when i bought it but didnt think much of it at the time. but now its been 2 days and i cant get it going and am curoius as wat would cause this problem

all comments appriciative
    There is, by law I believe, a requirement that the brake pedal be depressed before an automatic transmission can be shifted out of the Park position. Assuming you are indeed doing that then the problem is most likely in the switch on the brake pedal that senses that movement. Either an adjustment or replacement should be an inexpensive fix. There should also be a manual override in case of said switch failure. You will have to consult the owner's manual for the specific procedure on your car but it usually involves sticking a screwdriver into the nether regions of the center console. Good luck.
  • ibakeribaker Posts: 4
    Hello Everyone. I bought my 06 Malibu back in October. It had 27,000 miles on it because it was a program car. Someone told me that I needed new rotors. Can anyone tell me about what mileage is normal on changing rotors?
    do you need rotors...or do they simply need to be turned...are you getting a pulsing in the steering wheel and brake pedal when you brake?....the OEM rotors are notoriously weak and prone to warping if you over torgue the wheels......check that....Im betting you simply need to have them the rotors turned...
    I am getting a pulsing in the brake pedal and it sort of jerks a little. It doesn't come to a smooth stop. They do look pretty thin.
    That's a little early for brake work but certainly in the realm of possibility. Rotors are cheap, brakes are important - change them.
    Yeah I am going to go a head and change them just to be on the safe side. Thanks to everyone that responded. :shades:
  • leshanleshan Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I can not find the dipstick in my 2006 Malibu LT.
    So, How can we Check and change tansmission fluid for 2006 Malibu LT? Just drop the pan, drain the fluid and replace the filter? If so, How much fluid should we refill?
    Thanks.
    it is a sealed transmission..there isnt a dipstick....you have two services yuo can do..a flush.....or a complete replacement dropping the pan and changing the filter out....owner manual should outline capacities for fluids
  • leshanleshan Posts: 2
    Yes. the owner manual just tells the whole capacity for fluid. But if I just drop the pan, drain the fluid and replace the filter. There should be some fluid still in there. How much fluid should I refill?
This discussion has been closed.