Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu Brakes

Hi All,

In October 05, I purchased my Malibu LT V6...Two weeks after my purchase I began to hear a sqeeling noise upon comming to a stop...Upon placing the car in reverse I began to hear grinding...In short I have taken my car back to the dealership 3 times for the same problem and I am being told that these are GM's top of the line brakes and as lond as they have 66% or more of usage left, GM REFUSES to replace them...Has anyone had this problem?? Please-Please-Please HELP!!!! :lemon: :cry: :mad:

Comments

• shadow5599shadow5599 Posts: 101
    For your peace of mind take it to a reputable brake shop, see what they say.

When it's raining out or very damp mine make a nasty kind of vibrating/squaking noise when applied in reverse. I dont think much of it, once they're dried out the noise isnt there. They're very quiet brakes otherwise.
  • 37453745 Posts: 152
    I'm sure it's rust. I parked my car outside over a weekend of driving rain and the right hand brake rotors were soaked with water. When Monday morning came and I took off with the car, my brakes on that side were so noisy I turned back home. It sounded as if there were no brake pads left. I took the rear wheel off to see what the problem was. The rotor was rusted. I cleaned it off with sandpaper and all was well again.

Other than that, my brakes are very good and as smooth as silk.
  • beedublubeedublu Posts: 236
    The brakes on my 04 LS Maxx have been noisy on wet or damp mornings ever since the car was new. Until I've driven a couple of miles and made a few good, firm applications of the brakes there will be a loud, grinding noise. Also, upon backing down the driveway on a damp morning there will be some light squealing. The dealer assures me that this is normal for this model. The brakes work great and are very quiet otherwise.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Posts: 1,714
    My GM/Toyota built Prism had exactly the same problem.

If brakes were wet and allowed to dry, the rotors would develop some rust and the brakes were noisy when applied. After a few applications, the noise stopped (I assume the rust was ground off by the pads).
  • 37453745 Posts: 152
    Just down the road from me is a Ford dealership with about a hundred new vehicles on the lot. As far as I can see all the new vehicles have rusted rotors so I would think that they would also be noisy when the brakes are first applied.
  • my light on abs keeps coming on and brakes are just find why else who this kight come on and what can i do about it
  • prdmprdm Posts: 145
    When that light goes on the ABS system is inoperative - normal braking is still fine. It needs to be checked out.
  • I'm not sure if this is brake related or suspension...or both. I'm having this intermittent annoying problem. Sometimes when I apply the brakes, i get a nasty knocking sound from the floorboards or the front of the car. When this happens it will happen for a few brakings in a row, then I don't notice it anymore.
    It sounds like rotors, except it is too intermittent. And just last week I did take the car in for regular service and they checked the brakes and other than some uneven wear they're fine. They did do a brake service.
    I didn't tell them about the problem then, cause it was so intermittent and hadn't been doing it for a while. But now, it does it almost every other day.
    Because it is so intermittent, I'm afraid that they won't be able to spot the problem. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Joe
  • Wow, GM has still not fixed this ?
    I have an '01 Malibu and it did the same thing yours is doing right off the lot with 3 miles it. It kinda sounds like a trolley car coming down the street. khhhhhh___, right ? The car would not stop !
    Then the rotors warped after the first 3,000 miles.
    The dealership gave me a hard time about it and said that GM's fix is to use ceramic brake pads but I would have to pay for the uprgraded pads not the standard pads and they would cut my rotors not replace them.
    And that the warping problem is due to overheating because of a bad runout alignnment between the rotor and the caliper.
    The fix for that is to not overtighten the lug nuts and clean and adjust the rear brakes.
    Isn't that special.
  • My 21K mile 2005 Maxx LS has had the rotors turned twice for severe vibration... they warp very easily if you brake hard at high speeds. Most cars with disc brakes will do this eventually, but the Malibu's brakes seem to warp more easily than on any car I've ever owned. I could not warp the brakes on my 1998 Taurus.

I've also noticed that the brake's rotors get excessive rust after only one night when put away wet... especially if it is salty wet. This is also much worse on the Maxx than on any other car I've owned. It makes the brakes rub and howl for the first few appications of the pedal. Again, my Taurus never had this issue.

I think GM is using some really poor quality material for their rotors. Probably cheap Chinese castings.

I'm looking forward to replacing them when out of warranty with something better... maybe something cross drilled if I can find them that way. Meanwhile I'll let GM keep fixing them. :shades:
  • mr_botsmr_bots Posts: 225
    They're probably warping because the lug nuts on the wheels are over tightened. Shops just use their air wrenches to tighten the wheels back on, which commonly causes warped rotors. Any time you take your car to somewhere that will have the wheels off, once you get home you should bust the lug nuts loose and use a torque wrench to tighten them to spec. My 04 Malibu warped its rotors twice within 12k miles, but after the last time I've retightened the wheels myself after I got home and have made it 20k miles since with no sign of warping.
  • shinranshinran Posts: 2
    First time poster, long time reader.

I've just purchased a set of Pro Stop drilled and slotted rotors to combat the constant issue of warped/soft rotors that GM is put on my 2005 LS Malibu.

They weren't cheap, $400 for a set of 4, but I'm anticipating less squealing, longer rotor life and cooler brakes. Plus, they're made not to rust and a nice 12,000 mile warranty.

As soon as I brake them in, I'll let you know if they were worth it.
  • yuryyury Posts: 146
    Perhaps this would help:

Bulletin No.: 05-05-26-002A

Date: September 22, 2006

TECHNICAL

Subject:
    Squeak or Creak Type Noise From Rear of Vehicle (Replace Park Brake Cable Grommets)

Models:
    2005-2007 Chevrolet Malibu (Sedan Only)
    with Rear Drum Brakes (RPO J41 or JM4)

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-05-26-002 (Section 05 - Brakes).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a squeak or creak type noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. This noise occurs at slow speeds while driving over small bumps and is most apparent when the underbody of the vehicle is wet.

Cause

This condition may be caused by the park brake cables rubbing or slip-sticking on the retainer grommet.

Correction

Replace both existing white parking brake cable grommets with new black grommets, P/N 15807015, using the procedure below. These new black grommets are made from a Teflon(R) material.

Raise and support the vehicle.

Open the underbody clip (2) to provide some slack in the parking brake cable. Use a flat bladed tool to release the lock tab. Use care not to permanently bend the parking brake cable. If the cable becomes bent, it must be replaced. Remove the white grommet (1) from the bracket. Pull the park brake cable inboard, gripping the cable on both sides of the grommet.

Use pliers to remove the white grommet from the cable.

Line up the new black grommet slot with the cable and compress onto the cable using pliers.

Install the black grommet into the bracket.

Reinstall the parking brake cable into the underbody clip.

Repeat the steps above for the other side.

Lower the vehicle.
  • yuryyury Posts: 146
    sometimes i have a bit of squeal, very minor, when I just take off in the morning...but it's gone real fast, at the time i am at the first stop sign (100 yards) it's quiet.
  • Put the car up on jackstands or a lift, pull each ABS connector off of the brake backing pad, clean with a wire brush, and reconnect. 99% of the time it is just corrosion from road salt/water causing a loss of signal to the ABS computer. Had the same problem on my '97 Cutlass GLS that was cured by such treatment.
  • 04cad04cad Posts: 131
    I agree that a lot of warped rotors occur immediately after rotating tires due to the shop improperly tightening the lug nuts with an air impact wrench. My wife's 94 Deville and 2004 Deville both had this issue after we had the tires rotated. If they run the nut up on one or two lugs before they are all snugged up, you can almost bet the rotor will be warped. The independent shop fixed the 94 for free and the 2004 at the dealer was fixed under warranty. We used to learn this in high school drivers ed, you know snug them all up and then use the cross pattern to full tighten them up, but I don't think the shops teach this now? :(
  • just thought i would jump in with this one. my 01 malibu ls has the ORIGINAL brake pads still in it! i got the car with 2,500 miles and now it has 130,000 miles! i am not much of a "braker" or brake user. coming into town i am usually slowed down before th 30 mph sign without using my brakes! now my daughter drives that car.

as for squeeling brakes, parking on concrete when it is damp usually causes this. unsure why? but i have noticed that, suppose the concrete keeps the moisture in and around.

also, talk about warped roters, got a pontiac GTP that wew got in on trade for (DAH a malibu) and that sucker has horrible warped roters! so bad it makes the whole stering wheel shake! good think i am almost done rebuilding my 06 malibu maxx ss then can replace those roters.
  • sean74sean74 Posts: 18
    I have a 2005 Chevy Malibu LS, 21,000 Miles. I just changed rear brake pads. The very suspicious thing is that one brake pad completely worn out while others looked brand new. The Chevy dealer did not know the reason. This was not covered by warranty because the mileage is above 12K. I am disappointed. It seems Malibu has a lot of defects. My car actually has a lot of electrical an mechanic problems. It is really a nightmare. I will probably never buy GM product again.
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 871
    You are not going to buy a 2008 Malibu ? GM is getting set up to run 2 factories over time to keep up with sales.
  • sean74sean74 Posts: 18
    Yes! I'll never buy any GM product in my life time. Because there are so many defects . And both dealerships and customer service never gave me satisfying explanation to those problems.