Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TL Audio

I was able to burn a few DVD's for the car that it recognizes & plays very well from a sound quality point of view.

Problem is a few of the songs will play for 15-20 seconds the skip all by itself to the next track.

Any ideas on what the problem is. The DVD's are write once -R.

Comments

• I HAVE A 2002 TL 3.2 AND CAN BUY A RADIO / 6- CD CHANGER / CASSETTE UNIT TO REPLACE THE ONE I BROKE IN MY TL 3.2 BUT IT IS OUT OF A TL 3.2-S SAME YEAR. THE FACES LOOK IDENTICAL BUT THE JUNKYARD WILL NOT GUARANTEE IT WILL FIT.
    THANKS
    LORI
  • scottm123scottm123 Posts: 1,501
    Hi Lori

I couldn't watch your post go one whole week without a reply, so I'll jump in.
    I can't say 100% for sure, but I believe the stereo from the Type-S will work.
    I've dug up all the dirt I can find, and the wiring harnesses are the same for both models, and both also include steering wheel functions.

The only thing that may cause the 2 stereo harnesses to be slightly different is if the Type-S was a Nav model.
    Like I said, I don't know for sure, but if it was me making the judgment call, I'd buy the stereo.

I think it will fit perfectly.

Hope this helps!
    Let us know.
  • I've called two local dealers & a few custom shops; am disapointed at how few options there are. Am using a Sony cassette to mp3 adaptor now, it does not produce very good sound quality.

Key questions:
    1.) Do you know what connections are available on the back of a 2004 TL stereo unit? For example, are there RCAs I can plug into? Are there aux inputs for other devices I can tap into to connect an mp3

2.) What is the best way to connect an mp3 player (mini jack output) to a stock 2004 TL stereo? Provide a specific URL or product name please.
  • As soon as I bought my '03 TL, I drove it to a custom stereo shop. I am window shopping at this point, but got some good info. This is an owner operated shop and the guy knew his stuff (I think.) He said the stock unit does not have RCA-In jacks.

I told him how much I liked my friend's Mark Levinson system in his new '06 IS 350 and that I had seen a Pioneer stereo system with nav built-in that I liked at Crutchfield or J&R. He recommended one of the AVIC units, an amp and Boston Acoustic speakers (I like classic rock/blues mostly)

He gave me the brochures from Pioneer and BA. It turns out that the (N1?) system has about every feature you can imagine including integrated mp3 player functionality, bluetooth, XM or Sirius ready and an optional rear camera that kicks in when the vehicle is placed into reverse (just like the new Lexus). The head unit alone is $1500 and then I would be adding speakers, woofer, and amp. I am assuming he covers his labor by charging full retail. It seems funny to spend $3k on the sound/nav system for a car that cost me $16k, but if after taxes, extended warranty, etc, I can be out of pocket, say $23.5k and have a car I actually like better than the IS 350 (more roomy), saving myself about 50% off what he paid, I'm a happy camper.

For the record, Pioneer makes another Double DIN head unit that plays mp3s that costs less without the nav. If I was looking to save $$, that would probably be the option I would choose.
  • I have a 2006 TL with Nav, and will probably not renew my XM once the trial period ends. Has anyone tried to replace their built in XM radio with Sirius? Is it possible?
  • Unfortunately you cannot replace the built-in XM with Sirius. You do however have other options like using a PnP Sirius radio. Go to the link below and do a search for Acura. You'll get a much better idea of what your options are.
    http://www.siriusbackstage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=41d00e744a68fb68eb96e9e8- a4d32448&f=13
  • Great info on there, thanks!
  • I have the type-S which has the aux input for the ipod in the center console. Don't want to pay the dealer price. Does anyone offer a cable to conect the ipod to the aux input on this car???
  • I have the type-S which has the aux input for the ipod in the center console. Don't want to pay the dealer price. Does anyone offer a cable to conect the ipod to the aux input on this car???
  • ggesqggesq Posts: 701
    How much does the dealer charge? I saw one on ebay for 145.00 with free shipping.
  • Maybe I am a little confused. In my center consol there is an input for my ipod. I just need the cable that goes from the ipod to that input. That is $150?? I think what you are refering to is the interface.
  • you can go to radio shack or fry's. same plug on each end. I think its a mini stereo plug.
  • ggesqggesq Posts: 701
    ooops..my bad. sorry about that.
  • No worries. I'll check out radio shack tonight. Thanks
  • All you need to do is buy a cable from Radio Shack and you're good to go. I already use the Aux input with Sirius. I had the antenna installed this past weekend and it works great.
  • Got the cable last night. Thanks for the help.
  • Hi All-

I just bought an 06 TL and when I have the radio on there is a very noticeable rattle from the sub woofer. I emailed the sales rep at the dealer and his response was to adjust the bass. So the dealer wants me to solve this problem by turning off the sub, ha! My question, how is the bass supposed to sound on a TL? Does your sub hit those really low frequencies without a noticeable rattle? My brand new car sounds like one of those piece of crap hoopties that rattle like hell but have a huge system installed. Should the dealer be able to fix this?
  • I have a TLS on order and asked the dealership the same question. They couldn't answer me, which I thought was strange. Anyway, I found an double ended RCA cable for $11.49 at Best Buy. I don't have the car yet so I took it to the dealership along with my first generation IPod. And low and behold, it works. There is nothing special about the cable. It has two ends that both plug into any "head phone" jack 3.5mm (or RCA). I was very surprised that Acura couldn't tell me how there car works. I must say that it sounded GREAT!
  • Haha. I love it when the experts know nothing! I got the jack and have used my ipod a couple times. Sounds good, but then I tried a DVD-A on the system and it blew me away. Once you get the car, buy a DVD-A and see how you like it- you will not want to listen to the ipod any more! Hope you enjoy the car once you get it!
  • I use my Ipod in my TLS most of the time. It sounds very good, much better than the XM. I don't know why anyone would pay for satellite radio. I agree the DVD audio sounds even better than the Ipod, but there aren't alot of DVD's available.
    Ipods have a pre-amp circuitry in them where you can adjust the bass/treble. It can enhance the sound coming into the TL system.
    If Acura offered an ipod link that also charged the ipod and displayed the artists, songs, and album art on the navigation (like an Itunes interface), I'd be the first to buy it. I'm tired of always taking my Ipod out of my car to charge it (you can only charge it in the car while the car is running...useless and bad for the ipod battery unless you are on a long road trip.