Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Azera Lighting

Comments

• rgb42rgb42 Posts: 40
    Yeah, the H11 and H11B bases are totally different.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Posts: 804
    It might be worthwhile to contact Stern and ask about the H11B bulbs. He seems to have access to a wide range and may just have access to the H11B.
  • allmet33allmet33 Posts: 3,557
    He may very well have access to an H11B bulb, but the problem is...by it being such a new bulb, companies probably haven't begun making after market applications like the ones out there for the other bulbs that are pretty mainstream.

Right now, it's known that Sylvania makes an H11B, but only as the regular halogens, not the upgraded, Cool Blues, Silverstars or Ultras. I would gather to believe that none of the other makers have jumped on to start making aftermarket upgrades for H11B's yet.
  • 144tap144tap Posts: 44
    I ordered, received, and installed the Philips X/T H7's bulbs from the UK, came in about a week. I used both methods for insall. (creation vs evolution). I'm definitly NOT sold on removing the whole lite housing now, I tried that method first. I mean really, to simply twist the cap off reach in, push the spring wire down holding the back of the bulb in and BAM the bulb is free. I had it replaced in a minute. But, I don't see a Big/Huge diff. in OEM vs X/T's. Someday I'll step up to the HID's.
    Maybe there's a problem with the X/T's...there's a huge difference between the OEM and the Silverstar Ultras. I mean...the OEM bulbs cast a yellowish, dull light that doesn't seem to light the road that well. The Ultras are a clean, crisp white color that lights the road in front of you very well. I won't literally say it's a night and day difference, but the difference is very significant.

I agree with you about the whole idea of removing the headlight housing to change the bulb. I did it once and I was only able to remove one headlight housing successfully, the other one didn't want to come out and I didn't feel like breaking anything in doing so. At any rate...with the housing out...bulb replacement was a snap, but...you have the extra step of removing and replacing the housing.

If you're looking for a good price on the HID's, contact Supreme Power. The guy there offered me an HID set up for mine for $200, he said he also had one for the fog lights as well...package deal, he offered both sets to me for $350. If I wasn't working on some of these home improvement projects, I would have jumped on that deal!!!
  • psu3psu3 Posts: 15
    Hi all again,

I've previously described my inability to get my Ultras installed. I could not get the entire light assembly out. I tried to understand the process and only remove the bulbs directly. Still, no luck. I look at the lights with the screw in cap removed (upside down of course) and still not figure out how to remove the bulbs. The lights look like those in Picture B in the manual where it describes bulb replacement. A thorough process description of bulb replacement would greatly be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Steve
  • After reading this page I went out and eventually managed to remove the headlight assembly. I removed the nut on the inside then the 2 bolts on top as the Owners Manual shows but it still would not come free so I took out the 4 screws on the top plastic piece that the 2 bolts we attached to. I still had a hard time, but I was patient and just wiggled it a few times gently and it came out. I found that in mine the low beams are the H 11b bulbs. When I put the assembly back in I found that there is a clip on the fender side that the light has to fit into, this is what caused the problem taking it out. A short part of the light assembly fits between two pieces on the body of the car and these fit very snuggly together. Replacement was very easy once I saw where the fit in the bracket.
    There is a spring clip that you have to locate that keeps the bulb in place. You press it down (or towards the front of the headlight) then push it down (towards the ground) to create clearance of the lip it hooks onto. Swing the entire clip up (towardst he engine) and the bulb will come out and all you'll have to do is remove the bulb from the harness. Make a note of how the bulb is in the harness (there's a tab that sticks out on the flat edge of the bulb flange). Also, make sure you do NOT touch the bulb with your fingers (if you do, wipe it off really well with a clean cloth).

Once you get the bulb in place, the tricky part of working the clip back into place becomes a little test of patience. I say this because the wires for the harness tend to get in the way. So...be patient and work the wires around so you can put the clip back in place to hold the bulb in place and once you're done, screw the dust cap in place and you're done.
  • psu3psu3 Posts: 15
    Well I finally got the light assembly out (after much struggling) and to my surprise the low beams are H11b not H7. Back to the drawing board.

BTW If your low beam looks like the one in picture B (in the manual where its explaining replacement process) its the H11b.

Steve
  • ratledgeratledge Posts: 231
    Sorry - I've been on leave for a couple of weeks and not paying attention...

Daniel Stern states that there are 3 different configurations - but what I have is H11b low beams, H7 high beams and H8 fog lamps. I put the "OSRAM Rallye" 2100 lumen H9 burner on H7 base bulbs in my high beams - otherwise, I'm good.
    Ratledge...

Ummmmmmmmmmmm...how did you put an H9 bulb where an H7 bulb should go?

As far as the bulbs go, I'm starting to think that the '06 Azeras were the only ones that use the H7 bulb as the low-beam bulb.
  • wamba2000wamba2000 Posts: 146
    I ordered the Philips Xtreme Power for my '08 Santa Fe and they work well. I replaced the stock bulkbs in my wife's Azera with PIAA bulbs. I have used the Silverstars int eh past, my my last set burned out/filed within 8 months of installation. So far the PIAAs have been going for 2 years.

The Phillips Xtreme are supposed to be 80 % brighter. I didn't do a test , but I do see the sides of the highway better in the dark. YOu can find them online, best to get the size you need and google shopping will help you search.

Good luck to all
  • 144tap144tap Posts: 44
    My local Kragens had the Silverstar ultras on sale w/a rebate. So I replaced the Philips X/T's with the ultras, not much difference......except for price. I did put the X/T's in my KIA Sedona. Now that job required me to R&R the lite housing,easily done. The kids,(18,16,14), didn't notice much difference in the OEM's vs X/T's. So, heck with it, I still don't like the "cut off". On another note, Mike, what other things did you have in mind to do to your Zerra before putting in HID's?
  • ratledgeratledge Posts: 231
    Well, you cheat: use the "OSRAM Ralleye" 65watt part: Here

It's a 2100 lumen lamp mounted on the H7 base. You may well be right about the H7 low beams being only in '06 models, but I seem to remember somebody saying it was "slipstreamed" in mid-'07 models...
  • wardswards Posts: 17
    I have a 2006 Azera and both Hi and Low use H7's Wards.
  • These appear to be new. Has anyone tried them and with what result? My 07 Asera has a build date of 11/06. Anyone tried replacing the bulbs from a car of that period?
    Do you really need four bulbs (low & high)?
    Do you really have to remove the whole headlight?
    Thanks - much appreciated.
    Hey Bob,

I'm not sure about the new bulbs, I'm still riding with my Sylvania Silverstar Ultras in the low beams. The high beams are still OEM bulbs as I don't really use them much and my fog lights I switched to Nokya Hyper Yellow bulbs.

I can answer...there are 4 bulbs 2 for low & 2 for high, but you don't necessarily have to replace all 4. Also, you don't necessarily have to remove the whole headlight to replace the bulbs either. The 1st time you try replacing a bulb with the headlight in place, it takes some patience, but after you've done it a couple times...it becomes rather easy.
  • Thanks, as I don't drive that much at night I may not do it, but might try the low beams.
    Way back when I had a 71 Dodge Challenger, I installed driving lights. Too bad we can't get bulbs to change the fog lights to driving lights. In the last 30 years, I have never driven in fog at night, even when I was travelling throughout the South for 20,000 miles per year.
    to be honest, the lower set of lights on most cars now are driving lights. The only way you can make them true fog lights is to put a yellow bulb in them (or use the yellow film), because white light just doesn't work in fog too well. Like you, I've never driven in fog at night, but I've driven through some blizzard like snowfall at night before...WHOA!!!
  • gamlegedgamleged Posts: 442
    Loved those big Hella and Lucas driving lamps that would send a pair of beams half-a-mile or more out front to let people know they should make way... :shades: