Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cobalt General Care & Maintenance

Comments

• prdmprdm Posts: 145
    It's not like the oil monitor is just hooked up to the odometer. It measures all sorts of parameters such as duration of run, ambient temperature, coolant temperature, speeds hit, etc. giving a much more accurate picture of stresses on the oil. That said, it's not a lot of money involved to do it either way.
  • bporter1bporter1 Posts: 229
    I did not know that it takes into account all of that info.
    Thanks for letting me know.
  • logmgrlogmgr Posts: 39
    Does anyone here know how to change the plugs on an 06 Cobalt with the 2.2 Ecotec engine ?
    Mine is at 93,000 and it will soon be time to change them.
    I know the plugs are under the silver cover with the ignition module on it and that it needs to come off; but what then ? Are there any tricks/tips ?
  • missfr75missfr75 Posts: 1
    I installed a new steering column for my 2006 cobalt. after installation the vehicle lights and radio will come on but the car wont turn over. it shows that it is in lock position. how do i unlock it so that the car will start with the new column and key?
  • okko1okko1 Posts: 327
    are you using the original key. if not you may have to take the car to the dealer ship to get key program
  • wookie1wookie1 Posts: 99
    i have a 2005 cobalt my change oil soon light is on, but i don't have the owners manual that was suppose to be in the car. i bought it used, so how do i reset the light?
  • wookie1wookie1 Posts: 99
    i changed the oil myself the filter is under the plastic cover on the 2.2 4 cyl. engine under the hood
  • grosloupgrosloup Posts: 239
    My vehicule is a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. I figure all G.M. products works the same. This is how the reset is explained in my owners manual.

1. Turn the ignition key to RUN with the engine off.
    2. Fully press and release the accelerator pedal tree
    times to the floor within five seconds.
    The change engine oil light will flash while the system is resetting.
    3. Turn the key to lock position.

If the change engine oil light comes back on and stays on when you start your vehicule, the engine oil life system has not reset. Repeat the procedure.

Keep me in touch, I would like to know if the Cobalt's oil light resetting is the same as the Equinox. Just curious.
    Good Luck.
  • rlenkerrlenker Posts: 13
    I have a new 2007 LT. I looked for a Automatic transmission dip stick, as I read there is none. If you have trouble take it toi the dealer. Can I check the fluied leavle in the transmishion?
  • grosloupgrosloup Posts: 239
    Automatics with No Dipsticks

According to automobile manufacturer research, a certain percentage of automatic transmission failures are caused by over-filling and/or using the incorrect transmission fluid. It is important to remember to NEVER over-fill the transmission assembly and to ALWAYS use the recommended transmission fluid. To discourage over-filling, some vehicle manufacturers have eliminated the dipstick on the transmission. Unfortunately, this also makes it hard to tell if the fluid level is low.

On automatic transmissions that do not have a dipstick to check the fluid level or add fluid, a fill plug is usually located on the left side or right side of the transmission. On some, there may also be a drain plug on the bottom of the transmission.

To check the fluid level, the transmission must be warm and the vehicle must be parked on a level surface or raised on a lift. Jacking up the front wheels will tilt the vehicle and give an inaccurate indication of the fluid level. Therefore, all FOUR wheels must be raised off the ground and the vehicle must be properly supported by four jack stands. NEVER crawl under a vehicle unless it is safely supported by jack stands.

When the fill plug is removed, some fluid should dribble out of the hole if the fluid is at the proper level (flush with the bottom of the fill plug hole). If no fluid comes out, add fluid to bring it up to the level of the hole.

Below are some of the automatic transmissions that do not have a dipstick:

5-SPEED 2004-UP ACURA TL, RL, RSX
    5L40/5L50E 2004-05 CADILLAC CATERA
    AISIN 81-40LE 2004-05 CHEVROLET AVEO
    4T40/45E 1997-UP CHEVROLET CAVALIER, COBALT
    42RLE 2005-UP CHRYSLER 300 3.5L 2WD
    NAG-1 2005-UP CHRYSLER 300 3.5L AWD
    AF33 2005-UP CHEVROLET EQUINOX
    5R55N/S/W 2005-UP FORD CARS
    AISIN RNJ 1998-05 ISUZU NPR DIESEL
    ZF-6SHP-26 2005-UP LINCOLN NAVIGATOR 5.4L
    5F31J 2004 MAZDA MPV W/5SPD
    N4AEL 2004 MAZDA MIATA
    AF23 2004-05 SATURN ION
    4/5-Speed 2004-05 SATURN VUE
  • How do you know Champion Labs makes oil filters for AC-Delco? Do they make any other products for them?
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Posts: 191
    Am getting an 07 LT 1 next week. Does anyone know the thread size of the drain plug? Would like to install a magnetic plug ASAP.

tia
  • What is the proper level for the brake fluid in the master cylinder? How do you know if it is too low? Do you go by the two dots on the master cylinder? This is for the 2.2 engine.
    not a good idea to top off master cylinder. as this is a good visible cue as to the condition of your brake pads. as they become more worn the level of fluid in the master cylinder decreases.if the reservoir is 50% then check the disc pads for wear. also look for signs of fluid loss. :shades:
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    I would always top it off when needed and check brake wear on occasion by looking at the brakes. I wouldn't rely on a reservoir.
    a properly functioning brake system is not designed to be topped off it is a closed system. thats why there is a min. & max. level line. topping off the master cylinder is good for the brake business. it is one of the best ways to generate rotor work. much rather see that light come on for low fluid than just keep adding. :surprise:
  • How and when do you change the fuel filter? There is no mention of it in the owners manual.
    I low reservoir like you mentioned gives a good indication of brake wear or other line issues, but as far as I can recall all of my reservoirs on my past vehicles didn't have an line. Basically you fill it up as far as you can with out spilling when the cover is put on. My Chevy S10 doesn't have a line and my brakes never have issues. My rotors general last 50,000 miles or so which or pretty good. My previous Pontiacs didn't have any particular level either.
    I don't remember typing that many grammer errors.
  • jtk152jtk152 Posts: 139
    harrisblack- there is no serviceable fuel filter on the Cobalt/delta chassis. The newer GM pulse width modulated fuel pump/sending units (FSU's) have a filter integrated into the sending unit. The 'filter' is supposed to last the life of the FSU.

Joel
    A little late on the reply, but the 4T45E is easy to service for the DIY'er. Here is a pic I mocked up compliments of GM: image
    Champion labs does not currently make the ecotec oil filter cartridges for AC Delco. They are made by Hengst. Here is a little oil filter "study" I did recently. The Fram and Supertech are the exact same filter made in Bulgaria, the Carquest that is typically a Wix, is an outsourced Korean made filter.

Joel
    Wow, oil filters sure have changed. I am used to the metal cased AC/Delco with the metal internal screens that don't fall apart like the cheap internal paper Frams. The Delco's and Wix filters have always shown to be the best in the lab tests I have read in the past including one last year. I have also noticed that the air filters are outrageously priced at about $30 now as well. What ever happened to $5 paper air filters?
    I hear you on the prices! I guess on a good note, air filters seem to last a lot longer than the old donut filters of years ago. They don't catch the breather blowby and engine compartment debris like they used to. I really like this drop-in style oil filter. They make for a super easy and mess free oil change. I don't typically buy Fram OF's due to price, but in this case, it's not really a Fram. IIRC, it was $0.10 more than the supertech. They were both around $5.50/ea. The Korean built Carquest was the most expensive at $7.42 and the dealer bought ACD was $5.95. On a side note, the ACD, Hengst built filter is made in the USA. The only one home-built in the bunch.

Joel
  • Hi all,
    Can anyone give me advice on the proper way to remove the door panels and side mirrors on my 2006 LS Coupe?
    Last night vandals smashed up BOTH my drivers side and passenger side mirrors beyond repair. I haven't had any luck locating a chilton or haney repair book for diagrams.
    thanks! ~ Andy B.
    Andy, I don't have the specifics, but on any GM I've dabbled with, there will be screws around the inside door handle and around the recess for the arm rest. Once you have the screws out, there will be clips all around the perimeter. Gently pry the panel away. Make sure it's a nice warm day. Warm interior panels don't break as easily.

Joel
    I am a member of a local library which has programs for card carrying members on their website that include a complete auto schematic. I brakes down every single part their is for your car/truck.
  • Will rain X on the winsheild dammage the roof paint and wax?
  • :mad: Will rain X on the winsheild dammage the roof paint and wax?
    it is my understanding and i'm not saying i know but when properly applied it stays where you put it. :)
This discussion has been closed.