Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cobalt General Care & Maintenance

Comments

• Is anybody else having problems with the screw ends that go thru the door chipping the paint on the front posts?
  • jtk152jtk152 Posts: 139
    Anyone else experiencing a flutter or RPM bounce when the transaxle shifts into 4th during moderate acceleration? This is on my 2007 2.2L, 4T45E equipped Cobalt. It seems to only happen once fully warmed and I'm not positive if it's happening on the 3-4 upshift or during torque converter lockup in 4th. There is no check engine light and other than that, it runs flawlessly and has been perfect. I have heard of one or two other 2007 owners with the same concern. No issue was found by their respective dealership service depts. I'm also not exactly sure if this is a throttle by wire problem, transmission problem, etc.. Basically the tach will bounce up/down about 500RPMs at about half second intervals during what feels like the 3-4 shift. You can hear it and feel it as well.

Joel
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Posts: 148
    Hey Joel, good to see you over here.

Your concern/issue is one I've not seen or heard yet. However, I'll put the word out.
  • grosloupgrosloup Posts: 239
    I always drove S.U.V.s and Vans in the past and I never had snow tires installed on them. I drove all year with all season tires. Now that I purchased a Cobalt I wonder if I should put snow tires on it. It's smaller and lighter compare to a S.U.V. or Van and I figure the weight of the car could make a difference in the snow.
    You won't know until you try your Cobalt in your conditions. My experience with smaller FWD cars in Buffalo NY winters is, they are pretty good in the snow with OEM style tires. Nothing goes good on ice and not much will help you if you bottom out in deep snow.

Joel
  • If you can go 50,000 to 100,000 miles between transmission fluid changes, are they using regular or synthetic transmission fluid? And if you have to, can you use synthetic transmission fluid?
    Dexron VI ATF is pretty much used across the GM line now. It's advantages are the capability of extended drains, so it has synthetic components in it. If you did a pan drop, cleaning and filter change somewhere before 50Kmi, you'd be good to go until 100Kmi or beyond. I wouldn't let my 4T45E go to 100Kmi if I was keeping the vehicle long term. These transaxles are decent ones, but none of them are bullet proof.

Joel
  • Hello Everyone...
    I drive an 06 Chev Cobalt SS, Although it is not supercharged...
    I am wondering what RPMs it should be running at when I'm driving down the highway...
    can anyone help me out??
  • okko1okko1 Posts: 327
    60 mph at about 2000 rpm 80 mph at about 3000 rpm
  • Joel.... I have been experiencing the same problem. I have had my coblat back to the dealer several times, and they can not seem to find the problem. My Cobalt also is a 2007 2.2L. My problem also happens once the vehicle is warmed up.

Ricky
    Ricky, thanks for responding! This makes at least 3 reports now I've heard of on this issue. This is exactly what I fear, getting stuck in the old dealer "could not duplicate concern" loop. You can't fault them really. Cars are so freaking complicated now & techs can't spend all day on a warranty job or they'd starve. If I can dig up anything I'll let you know.

Joel
  • Does anyone have any information about GM's Protection Plan for extended warranties?
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    Here's is what I found on google.

www.gmprotectionplan.com
  • does anyone know the size of the nut for the plastic oil filter cap on the 2007 cobalt
  • 24 millimeter. You could use an adjustable wrench.
  • Does ayone have firsthand experience with GM's protection plan?
  • I am sure the nut built into the top of all the GM Ecotec 2.2L engines is 1 1/4 inches (or close to 32 mm).
  • poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    What kind of experience are you talking about. If you trade the vehicle in you can get a pro-rated amount back. The GM warranty is among the best, if not the best in the industry for coverage with no co-pays. You can shop different dealers for the warranty. You could buy a Chevy but then go to a Buick dealership and negotiate an extended warranty there for your Chevy. You could wait a year or two before having it added on if you want.
  • For do-it-yourselfers, the GM Ecotec engine requires a low-profile 1 1/4 inch socket to remove the plastic cap on top of the built-in oil filter. This tool is not easy to find.

However, Amazon.com is presently selling the "Lisle 14700 Oil Filter Wrench for GM 2.2L" for $8.94 --- shipping is free if you buy something else that makes your order total over $25 (the something else can be anything you were probably going to buy anyway --- such as say a computer printer ink cartridge.)
  • I have a 2007 Cobalt. I do my own oil changes. Are there fittings that need to be Lubricated, and if so, how often? Thanks for any help.