Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV: Error Codes/TSBs/Recalls

Comments

• nlsnls Posts: 65
    Idle Air Control (IAC) valve? Cleaning it might help, replacement is also very easy and part is not all that expensive.
  • nlsnls Posts: 65
    Idle Air Control (IAC) valve? Cleaning it might help, replacement is also very easy and part is not all that expensive.
  • jipsterjipster Posts: 5,345
    If not the IAC as nls suggested, I would think it would be the PCV hose ... located in upper back part of engine. Check for a hissing sound. Also, could be a faulty ignition coil.

I would still check for codes at a Autozone, or somewhere done free. My MPV was running rough with no CEL. When taken to Autozone the code showed up on the scanner as a faulty ignition coil.
  • aa0526aa0526 Posts: 27
    My MAZDA MPV 120K --- which has the rough idling at neutral ---- has the CEL now lit. Will bring it to the shop ...
    Will ask them to check the following:
    1. PCV hose
    2. IAC valve
    3. ignition coil

Just curious ... how much would the labor for any of these be TYPICALLY?
    How long will replacing these take?

Need to get a budget for this ... Thanks!
    A new PCV hose at the dealership is around $79. Some members at the MPV club have jury rigged other hoses to fit for less money. Some mechanics(the good ones) can put on a PVC hose without taking off the intake manifold. Most mechanics will take the intake off, which takes about an hour and half of labor. Most dealerships charge around $110 an hour for labor. You could take it to an independent shop for much less.

Don't know about the IAC valve.

Ignition coils are about $90 at dealership. You can buy them on-line for about $60. If the defective coil is on cyclinder #1, 2 or 3, then you're looking at big bucks, as the intake manifold must be taken off. So, you're again looking at an hour and a half to two hours of labor.If the defective coil is on cylinder 4,5 or 6 (the front cylinders closest to the radiator) then it is fairly simple... about 5 minutes. Pop off the engine cover and there they are.

If it's a bad rear coil, have them check the PCV hose while they are in there.
    Good luck.

Oh... to diagnose the problem, dealerships usually have a $70-$90 diagnostic fee.
    Problem solved!

The PCV hose needed to be replaced.
    The Mass Air Flow Sensor needed to be replaced too. This was the 3rd time this caused problems --- each time, I just had it cleaned.

Initially - the mechanic was looking at replacing all the ignition coils --- we went back and forth --- he finally agreed to look at the PCV hose ---- I was right. It was a good thing the mechanic was very honest.

So --- PCV hose + MAF Sensor --- plus, I got new spark plugs and oil change .... van runs great again.

BTW --- the mechanic refuses to install my after market BOSCH +4 Ytrium plugs. He said Mazda swears against them. This is the 3rd time I've heard this... so I need to return these to Kragen now...

What's wrong with BOSCH spark plugs? He said they are 'no good' for Mazda cars and vans.
    How much were you charged for the PCV hose and MAF sensor?

I've heard Bosch was weak also. It's a Ford engine so, Motorcraft (OEM) or NKG plugs are the best.
    This data is from SF Bay Area...

1. Parts - $ 360
    - MAF sensor - $180
    - PCV hose - $82
    - Spark plugs - $36
    - Other parts (2) - $40

2. Labor - $260 (includes oil change and install new spark plugs)

The error codes were PO 300 and PO 171 (lean air mixture).
    There was one more but this was due to PO 300 and PO 171.
    --------------------------
    I still don't understand why BOSCH plugs are crap ... I'll use them on my Lancer instead... maybe that will work.
  • i needed to replace my vacumn hose assembly to correct the same problem
  • dannyyodannyyo Posts: 14
    I've had this 2003 MPV for almost 6 years now. Have about 72K miles on it and it's had a lot of issues. At 44K miles the "check engine light" came on"....Diag code p2404, internal failure of liquid purge box, It was replaced under warranty, the whole thing would have cost $677 if it wasn't for the warranty. At 45K miles I had to replace the water pump for $270. It also had the "recall" work done back in 2004 for 2204H PCV, SSP6 Fan control module. I have a '02 Honda Accord with 150,000 miles on it and the only major service was done at 100k and nothing else besides the regular maintenace (oil change, tire rotation, etc). In comparison MPV is terrible...well it is a "Ford"!!! I regret buying it and I should have paid extra for the Honda Oddsey or Toyota Sienna. Has other people experience lot of issues with their MPV? It's a great looking minivan, but it seems unreliable.
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    Unreliable would mean that it has been out of service for failures or issues that impede operation. Recalls or Special Service Programs aren't indications of reliability. Also, the motor is a Ford Duratec, but the rest of the van is made in Japan, including the JATCO tranny.

-Brian
    3 repairs in 6 years doesn't sound too bad to me.

I've been happy with my 04 MPV thus far.
    I forgot to mention that when I got the warranty repair, they had to tow the minvan from my house to the dealer because it blew black smoke then died. My experience with Nissan Sentra and Honda Accord have been great, no issues at all until 100k. So in comparison MPV's been terrible. My wife and I thought about getting rid of it.

Brian, one of the mechanics that fixed the water pump told me that it was only designed by japan and all the mechanical part are US(ford) made.
  • subearusubearu Posts: 3,613
    IIRC, the domestic content of the MPV as stated on the monroney sticker was maybe 1% or something low like that. The engines are Ford made and shipped to Japan, where the van is assembled. The motor parts are not direct Ford parts, but can be cross referenced and almost all the remaining motor parts are stamped with Made in Japan....

-Brian
    IIRC, the domestic content of the MPV as stated on the monroney sticker was maybe 1% or something low like that.

Actually the domestic content is 21%... remember an engine is a pretty big part.

Per MPV sticker: U.S Canadian Parts Content: 21%
    Major Sources of Foreign Parts Content: Japan 78%

Which leaves 1% of parts unaccounted for... or missing. Maybe, that's why you are having problems with your MPV dannyyo? :P
    Ok...so my MPV is back home with me. The error codes where 0174 and 0171. My mechanic wasn't sure which part to replace because there were like 10 possibilities. So he suggested that I take it to a Mazda dealer to get a diagnotic test done. This dealer charges $145 just for the diag. They got a code of P0174 and recommended that I get the PCV hose replaced for a total cost of $338. I called my mechanic and he said just go ahead and do it with the dealer, although it'd only cost him $60 or so plus small labor to do it. At least I'll know for sure that it fixed the problem. I look at all my records and realized that I had the PCV hose replace once before through the Oct 2004 recall, but the part number was slightly different. Then I searched the net and discovered this http://forum.mpvclub.com/viewtopic.php?t=17546. Geez, I could have done it myself and saved couple of hundred bucks!!! Interesting what you find in the forums. At least next time I'll just pay my mechanic 100 bucks and it'll be okay. I'm pretty sure it'll go out again in about another 4 years. So far it's only lasted 4 years. Does anyone recommend buying your own diagnotic tool?
  • FaroesFaroes Posts: 6
    Did Mazda MPV Diesel have an IAC
  • FaroesFaroes Posts: 6
    I have that problem, that the car is turn off after 5min, and I am waiting 30 sec. he turn on again.
    Everytime. I have change air-filter and fuel-filter. And local Mazda service now nothing. Help?
  • I own a 2000 Mazda MPV with 57,000K on it, recently my check engine light came on so I connected the OBD || tester and got an P0031 DTC, Result; H02S Heater Control Circuit Low Bank 1 Sensor 1. Question, Can some please tell me where is this sensor located? It's telling me is on the right side but I don't really know the exact location. :confuse:
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Posts: 2,240
    2002 MPV w/ 119K miles. Owner asked if I would take a look at it. His complaint was that the engine would start stumbling badly and CEL. I drove it, and it drove just fine, but told him I would see what I could find.

The plugs were original and pretty burned up, so that was the first thing I changed. Cleared the codes, started right up, ran great for a few minutes, then dropped a cylinder. Couple of minutes later, dropped another. (4 and 6). I have rechecked the assembly (who in the sam hill came up with having to pull the top half of the intake to change the rear plugs???!!!) and everything is connected, nothing leaking, and the only code setting is P0300. I am about ready to send him to a dealer or independent with better diagnostic software, but thought I would throw this one out there to see if you guys have seen a trend.

Most of my tech support is over in the Blazer forums, but figured I would try to look at this since it is a Ford engine.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
This discussion has been closed.