Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LeSabre Electrical/Lighting

Comments

• The plugs and wires were a breeze and I was able to get it al done by noon before I went to work. I was planning on trying the injector cleaner too. The car needs to run! Probably won't get too much today.
  • 53rocket53rocket Posts: 65
    Put the Techron in today. I will finally run it to work tomorrow and see how well it goes.
  • dshepherd3dshepherd3 Posts: 194
    Use the Techron with less than 1/2 tank and run it down to be most effective.
    The Techron seemed to help but there is still a bit of a stutter in acceleration with the lock-up torque converter on and moderate acceleration; somewhere in the mid 60's. Guess I'll just live with it, I only bought the car for $3200. I'll give the EGR a look to see if it is clean.
    The surging is still around but it seems to be only at speeds over 60mph. I believe it is the torque converter locking and unlocking. Any idea on how extensive this is to fix - pull tranny or done while in car.......?
    What is the damage if I keep running it for a while? (0% of my driving is on the highway above 60mph.
    Well, I finally checked the resistance on the coils. One was slightly out of spec on the primary side. I replaced the one and the stuttering seems to be gone. However, there is a lso a vibration issue that remains where I need to check for worn parts. I had one inner tie rod replaced already. It was hard to tell the difference between the stuttering and the vibration. Maybe there is no torque converter problem.

MTC
  • buck15buck15 Posts: 2
    I have a 1997 LeSabre that has had two fuel sending units installed within the last 6 months. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing these units to burn out so quickly? By using the term "burnt out" I mean the gas gauge shows empty all the time, even after a fill up. Usually a month is all I get out of the sending unit.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,702
    Did a dealer install two replacements? Or a local shop guy?

did they check the sending unit at the connections back by the tank to see if the sender was working correctly? Or did they just throw a part at it again since they had a boat payment due?

The problem sounds like it is connections or dash gauge problems. I'd have to check service manuals to see the full circuits.

This message has been approved.

• buck15buck15 Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply imidazo197. I had what I thought to be a trusted shop install the two units. After I read your reply I got to thinking maybe it could be a bad connection, and I don`t know if the guy replaced the wiring harness or not, if he didn`t that could very well be the problem. Thanks again for the reply.
  • I have an 02 Lesabre, and the service engine light came on a few
    weeks ago. I took it to the closest dealer earlier this week, and
    they told me I needed about $3000 in repairs on the car,
    ranging from a new transmission to brakes, and other various
    things. I asked what would turn the light off, and they said to
    replace a soleniod, which was stuck open. So i had them do it,
    and about 20 miles later, the light came on.

So I went today to a mechanic recommended by a friend and
    they ran diagnostics for me. It came back with a P0741 trouble
    code (torque converter clutch circuit performance or stuck off),
    and they told me to drive it until the light came back on and
    then call them and bring it back in. Well, driving home from
    work tonight, again after about 20 miles, the light is back on.

What kind of repairs should i expect to fix this problem? Will the
    transmission need rebuilt, as the dealer initially suggested?
    Sounds like the dealer has a shortage of service jobs and was going to use your care to make the next yacht payment for the Michigan summer home.

You didn't say how many miles you have on the car. Let us know.

• That was my thought as well. I literally laughed at him as he told me all this.

The car has 77k miles on it.
  • debchodebcho Posts: 1
    Sean about your engine light staying on-make sure your gas cap is on tight. had same problem.
  • Just cleaned the area around the gas cap and put it on as tight as it would go, and fueled up. Light is still on.

Perhaps I'm getting overly-sensitive about it, but the car seemed sluggish as it drove.
    You can put petroleum jelly on the o ring around the gas cap. Check that the ring is not ripped. The tank has to seal when the evaporative system puts a vacuum on it to check that the gas system is sealed and not polluting with gasoline fumes.

The check gets run, on my car, when the motor is slightly warmed up but not fully hot, and the motor is restarted. E.g., my temp gauge was just part way up to normal and I stopped for coffee. Came out and when I restarted the check was done and the light went out.

The temp is for example between 130 and 170 degrees. I'd have to look through my service manual to find the reference again.

If the light didn't come on right after a restart like that, it may not be a pollution check light; it may be from other causes.

• wbret8wbret8 Posts: 2
    Hello, I'm new to this and also ignorant to most car issues so I thought I'd spring this on you folks...

I have just had my second incident with my car and its headlights. They are supposed to illuminate when the car is turned on to either the DRL's or the Low Beam Headlights, which ever the car's sensor determines (so I'm told).

The first time this occurred (about 3 weeks ago), I took the car to my local service center (not G.M. or Buick) thinking that one of the bulbs was burned out but when the mechanic took out the driver's side bulb, the passenger side illuminated. He then put the driver's side bulb back in its space and it also illuminated. He thought that there might be a shorted or nicked wire but could not get the problem to re-occur.

Tonight, I went to use the car and once again, the Low Beam lights did not illuminate. The amber "parking lights" worked, the rear lights worked, and the High Beam lights worked. I'm thinking that maybe there is in fact a wiring problem, but would like to know if any of you have experienced this issue or if you can advise me as to what to have checked before a dealer's service dept. rapes me to do a general electrical check.

Thanks for your help,
    Bill
  • i had a blowout in the right rear. the tire came apart and ripped apart the wiring harness going to the pump. also there's a small bracket above the tire that something used to mount to. any ideas as to what it is?
  • blowout was on a 2000 lesabre limited. sorry.
    What pump are you talking about?

• there's a small motor for the leveler(i think) mounted behind the right rear wheel. in front of that there is a small bracket the is mounted to the wheel well.

the tire ripped apart the wiring harness and whatever mounted to the small bracket.