Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LeSabre Electrical/Lighting

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,528
    Sounds like the dealer has a shortage of service jobs and was going to use your care to make the next yacht payment for the Michigan summer home.

You didn't say how many miles you have on the car. Let us know.
  • That was my thought as well. I literally laughed at him as he told me all this.

The car has 77k miles on it.
  • debchodebcho Posts: 1
    Sean about your engine light staying on-make sure your gas cap is on tight. had same problem.
  • Just cleaned the area around the gas cap and put it on as tight as it would go, and fueled up. Light is still on.

Perhaps I'm getting overly-sensitive about it, but the car seemed sluggish as it drove.
    You can put petroleum jelly on the o ring around the gas cap. Check that the ring is not ripped. The tank has to seal when the evaporative system puts a vacuum on it to check that the gas system is sealed and not polluting with gasoline fumes.

The check gets run, on my car, when the motor is slightly warmed up but not fully hot, and the motor is restarted. E.g., my temp gauge was just part way up to normal and I stopped for coffee. Came out and when I restarted the check was done and the light went out.

The temp is for example between 130 and 170 degrees. I'd have to look through my service manual to find the reference again.

If the light didn't come on right after a restart like that, it may not be a pollution check light; it may be from other causes.
  • wbret8wbret8 Posts: 2
    Hello, I'm new to this and also ignorant to most car issues so I thought I'd spring this on you folks...

I have just had my second incident with my car and its headlights. They are supposed to illuminate when the car is turned on to either the DRL's or the Low Beam Headlights, which ever the car's sensor determines (so I'm told).

The first time this occurred (about 3 weeks ago), I took the car to my local service center (not G.M. or Buick) thinking that one of the bulbs was burned out but when the mechanic took out the driver's side bulb, the passenger side illuminated. He then put the driver's side bulb back in its space and it also illuminated. He thought that there might be a shorted or nicked wire but could not get the problem to re-occur.

Tonight, I went to use the car and once again, the Low Beam lights did not illuminate. The amber "parking lights" worked, the rear lights worked, and the High Beam lights worked. I'm thinking that maybe there is in fact a wiring problem, but would like to know if any of you have experienced this issue or if you can advise me as to what to have checked before a dealer's service dept. rapes me to do a general electrical check.

Thanks for your help,
    Bill
  • i had a blowout in the right rear. the tire came apart and ripped apart the wiring harness going to the pump. also there's a small bracket above the tire that something used to mount to. any ideas as to what it is?
  • blowout was on a 2000 lesabre limited. sorry.
    What pump are you talking about?
  • there's a small motor for the leveler(i think) mounted behind the right rear wheel. in front of that there is a small bracket the is mounted to the wheel well.

the tire ripped apart the wiring harness and whatever mounted to the small bracket.
    I see. I'll look under the rear of our 03 LeSabre...
  • fesfes Posts: 3
    Hi Y'all - New member - Looking for some help. Just had to replace the left rear window actuator on a 2000 LeSabre Limited with 72,412 miles. This is the 3rd one replaced now within the last 12 months and the cost runs $525.00 each and the total is adding up. Does anyone know of any contact I can make to General Motors or what I can do on this and get a refund for the 3 replacements ? Been searching around and found (3) Tech Service Bulletin on this issue replacing the actuators so that tells me GM knows about the problem. I am sure this is a design defect and the motors are not adequate to handle the load. Please let me know if there is some contact I can make to get my money back.
    Thank y'all. from FES (an ol' retired Texan)
    The only brackets are the one that is next to the plastic wheel well and apparently holds it in place, and a metal cover below the pump and electronics for the pump for the load leveling shocks on the rear. There is a round plastic bracket that is the air inlet for the pump-it's a rubber tube that has a plastic part which is an air filter that is snapped into the stub frame so that it takes air from inside the frame to get cleaner air.
  • You could contact the GM distric office in your area, and see what happens. The problem is that a Servoce Bullitin is not a recall, so if they help you, it's out of the kindness of their hearts. I've been lucky a couple of times with a vehicle that was barely out of warranty.
  • fesfes Posts: 3
    Thanks classicbuff for taking time to answer my post. I will try your suggestion contacting the GM District Office...who knows - just maybe they might feel considerate. I went to NHTSA and there are a bunch of entries regarding the actuators on this model car. Enough, I believe, it is a Safety Issue and Buick should do a recall. Read about one person who was on their 7th replacement. Seems like GM would get the message that they have a design defect on this model car. Guess they don't really care if they lose their business to Ford or Dodge. Thanks Again. FES
  • Any coincidence that Toyota ia approaching #2 in sales?
  • I just had to replace actuators in the drivers door, and the door behind the drivers door! Fortunately, I was able to do the work myself, saving the labor. List price on the parts was $650.00. They went out within a day of each other.59,000 miles on the '00.
  • my wife's car's headlights quit working 2 weeks ago. So I checked the fuses, none were bad. next I bought a new headlight switch(big bucks). no fix. So I chased down all the wiring an no shorts or bad connects..All I have left is the relay's I found under the hood, but no diagram showing what is what, can anyone help me????????? :confuse: :confuse:
  • I recently bought a used 1999 LeSabre (50,000 miles) and I thought that the headlights needed adjusting. Plenty of high light on high beams but not much on the road. I have discovered that the outboard bulbs work on low but not on high. The inboard (high) beams work fine on high as well as with the DRL's on. In other words, either run two on low or two on high, but not all four on high. I have never seen this on a four bulb system unless it was on an old car that half of the lights were burned out anyway. Should I replace the two low bulbs?
    That is the setup on most cars. The low beams operate only on low beam. There's no need for them on high beam.
  • lwglwg Posts: 1
    The right rear turn signal is not working on my 04 Lesabre Ltd. How do I get to the bulb to change it?
    There are little nuts on the inside of the trunk lid. You'll have to pull away the felt sound deadener to see them. There are 2 on each end deep inside so you need a deep well socket-10 mm, 1 on each side not in a deep location and 1 or 2 in the middle. Be careful you don't undo the two taps next to the lock cylinder. Have someone help you pull the whole light unit loose from the seal against the trunk and to hold it so the prongs don't scratch when it comes out. It pulls out toward the rear of the car.

The felt cover has little snap in black buttons. They come out hard. The bult is the little 194 or someething like that in number-available at Walmart.
    My owners glovebox manual says they are 1057 but that's only the outside bulb with the brakelight/running light in it I believe.
  • hubiehubie Posts: 7
    this is my first post and i hope it's in the correct forum. i have an '03 lesabre ltd with the self diming mirror and on-star. on the bottom right side of the mirror is the pick up window for the auto dimmer. just to the left of that window is a light that is always lit...either red or green. does anyone know what this light means when red, when green? i've searched the manual but have found nothing yet. thanks for reading my post!
    Welcome to Edmunds.
    I believe it indicates that OnStar is available for the car--if a subscription has been purchased at $16.95/month and up for more services. I have never seen ours red, but expected it when I didn't renew after the 2nd year.

I wonder if it means the GPS part of the system is working rather than that the cell phone connection is working...
  • hubiehubie Posts: 7
    thanks for the info imidazol97. i think ur probably right since most of the stuff on the mirror is on-star to start with. the light goes from red to green to red sometimes? our subscription is paid so i would guess that it represents the gps signal. my next message will b to on-star to confirm our thoughts. again, thanks.
    Why not just press the OnStar button and ask what that light means. Press the button when it's red and see if you're able to be connected.

I kept the OnStar for an extra year but decided the cost was better spent for cell phones. If they had a more reasonable price for basic service I'd consider reconnecting. I expected the light to turn red after we didn't renew..., but it's still green so I had decided it meant something about the GPS like you've figured.

I don't know where you're located but I'm in Ohio. I wonder if location has something to do with the GPS or satellite signal ability.
  • Hi,

I recently purchased a 2000 Lesabre. Love the 3800 engine and just switched from a Bonneville to the Lesabre. I have two questions:

First, one of the two license plate bulbs is blown. I'm a little puzzled as to how to access them. It appears that getting to them (as well as to other bulbs mounted on the trunk lid may require removing nuts from the underside of the lid. Am I on the right track? Thought I'd ask before giving in to the temptation to start removing stuff!

Second, and if this is more appropriate for another Lesabre forum I'll ask elsewhere, but I'm going to replace the rear deck speakers. It appears that they are mounted from the top and can't be removed from the trunk. Do I have to remove the rear deck behind the back seat in order to remove the speakers?

thanks in advance......
    I see this is your first post and welcome to Edmunds.

I have an 03 LeSabre (and 98 leSabre). I've removed the lights panel twice for bulb replacement. I believe the backup lights are right there too--see this post

Click here

and it will explain getting to the back of the lights. You'll need a deep socket to reach 4 of the 8 nuts that have to come off.

I'll check on the speaker question. I have the factory service manuals but I thought those speakers came off in the trunk just from having crawled into the trunk for something I was looking for.
  • Thanks for the welcome and for the link. I had seen that post but with the redesign of the Lesabre in 2000 I didn't know if the way to access the bulbs was different on the '99.

Thanks for the help!
  • I have purchased new headlight assemblies for my 1998 Buick LeSabre. Are they easy to install? Is this something the average person can do?