Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LeSabre Electrical/Lighting

Comments

• looking to find out were the headlight relay is on a 93 buik lesabre
  • I have a 94 LaSabre and I am trying to replace the motor for the drivers window, but I cannot get the panel all the way off. I have the screws out but where the window goes up/down will not come off. Can anyone tell me what I am missing?
  • The charging system works fine until the engine (and everything else) heats up!

I have searched and found nothing. I have had the altermnator checked and rechecked, I have replaced the battery.

I took the car to my mechanic. He has gone through and says the wiring is good (no broken or loose wires) and he has had the alternator checked and checked with the alternator people (the local auto electric shop that rebuilds, etc) and they say it is good.

He says that every morning for the past week and a half, he has started the car and hooked it up to monitor the system and it has charged fine until it gets hot. Then it quits charging. He is having trouble figuring it out and asked me to see if I could find us some help. So here I am.

I have had problems with the electronic ignition modules on my Ford truck when they heat up.
    Could the electronics in the alternator be breaking down when it gets hot causing this problem?
    Should I take a hairdryer (or heatgun) with me to the alterantor shop and ask them to test it while they heat it up to see if it stops working when hot?

or would you suggest another course of action?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,732
    Look at the cables. The battery has dual positive cables with one piggybacked on the other. Separate those and look for corrosion between them and pull back the plastic and look for corrosion going down the wire.

Check the connections at the other ends of the battery wires at the starter and at the alternator and the grounds as well.

I believe one person found the wire to the alternator defective but I don't remember the problem.

Can you switch batteries?
    Try a different alternator?

Remember if you have auto control air conditioning, shut it off with the key ON so it goes into down mode. Some people have had problems with AC after replacing batteries.

This message has been approved.

• According to the mechanic the car is fixed. Cables inspected, cleaned and retightened, replaced the battery, tried another alternantor (he borrowed from the alternator shop, it didn't change anything so he put the old one back on).

This is what he said he found. The alternator would charge when everything was cold but when things warmed up, it would stop charging. He found that the 12 volts would turn off coming from the comupter. So whatever is not working' when the car warms up is killing the 12 volts to the alternator.

I have yet to see it for myself, but he apparently rewired something to work.

I guess that is all I really care about.

Thanks for your help imidazol97.
  • Can anyone tell me how I can disable the twilight sentinel on a 2005 Buick LeSabre?
  • 1992 LeSabre Custom - Does anyone know how to replace the third brake light - the one in the back window? Owners Guide refers to it as "High Level Stop Light" and references the replacement bulb number but offers no instructions for replacing it.

Reaching in from the trunk, I feel a plastic wired "plug" that goes into the metal bulge, but it won't come loose and I don't want to force it. I doubt I'd get ticketed for this but I love the car and want to keep it in ship-shape. Any advice?
  • tdt11058tdt11058 Posts: 1
    My car won't shift up into highway speed. The engine will race but the car won't shift, or go any faster. It does all right in low 2 at about 30-40 mph, or at very low speed in (D). If I can get it up to speed it will travel fine on straight flat road, but won't climb hills. Is this in the transmision only, or are there other causes that might act the same way?
    How many miles?

Obviously the transmission needs to be checked to find what's wrong. Has it been serviced 40-50K miles with fluid drain and filter change? Could be other things involved such as computer PCM although I don't know for sure it controls the transmission shifting. There is an electrical connector on the transmission that might be giving a problem.

The only reason I think of the computer, is the 94 and 95s seem to have more computer problems than other years.

• jcb6jcb6 Posts: 3
    i have a 94' lesabre and i cant get the lights to turn off sometimes.When i push the switch in and out they will usually turn off this time not so much.I opened the pass. door to get manual(which i dont have) and the lights went off.any ideas
    >i have a 94' lesabre and i cant get the lights to turn off sometimes.

Which lights?

the headlights.when i push the headlight button in and out the dash lights and light indiactors all come on correctly but the headlights wont turn off.like i said i opened the pass. door last time and they went off,kinda wierd i know but i've seen your sceen name on here and sounds like you know your stuff any ideas please
    Does your car have twilight sentinel where you can adjust how long the headlights stay on after the key is off and the door opened?

Does it have automatic on and off headlights that us a light sensor on the dash that "sees" the light of the sky to determine when to turn the headlights on and off.

It's very easy to get the light switch and the twilight sentinel controls confused in their operation with each other.

Also does your car have the battery saver feature where if you leave the headlights or any others on, they are turned off after 10 minutes or so?

I'd have to dig out my 93 manual and see which features were available then. The battery saver may have been on Limited models with certain option packages.

I know that the twilight sentinel switch on my 98 holds the lights on and if I turn the headlight switch on, I'll get confused as to how to get them off.

it has no twilight or automatic lights.they dont come on till you turn them on and you have to shut them off to turn off,im not sure if they turn off after 10 min and i am scared to turn them on if i dont have to.haven't had to since i got them off and made this post hope this helps you help me thanks again.if it does have the lights that turn off after certain time what controls that,is it a relay or something i can just unplug,guess i should find out if it has auto shut off before i ask those questions shouldn't i but i do appreciate your help
  • rbakkerrbakker Posts: 2
    My 1992 Buick LeSabre has an issue with the headlights. The brights work just fine, but the regular headlamps do not go on at night. I have running lights during the day, but when it gets dark, no lights. What would cause that and how do I fix it? I've already gotten a traffic ticket for driving with my brights on! Any help is very much appreciated.
    You can check for voltage at the light bulb socket to a ground (not the other wire in the socket) when on low beam.

OR you can check the switch for high/low beams. which I think is on the bottom of the steering column connected to the turn signal arm at the top by a wire link that moves the switch.

I have a 93 book but I can't check on it now. If you know how to use a meter, you can check that switch. When you pull on the turn signal level do you hear and feel a switch clicking like it's switching between connections for high beams and low beams?

• rbakkerrbakker Posts: 2
    It does make a click when you switch between high and low beams. Also, the twilight sentinal stays on for a pretty long time, even when set on low. Would that have anything to do with it?
    I still think you need to check the bright/dim switch. The twilight sentinel should work the same on both.

• stephen987stephen987 Posts: 1,994
    my money is on the main headlight switch itself, not the high/low beam switch