Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LeSabre Steering/Suspension

13»

Comments

• soonerdewsoonerdew Posts: 21
    edited October 2013
    Getting ready to replace the rear shocks on my '04 Lesabre, and after doing some reading ordered the Monroe MA822 Max-Air shocks. The job looks relatively simple (even for a DIY such as yours truly), but I've read some conflicting info regarding whether my Lesabre has a threaded or clamp-on air hose connector for the air leveling system, and thus whether I need an adapter kit on hand before I start the job. My initial interpretation is that I *won't* need any adapter, but I'm just not sure. Can someone advise?

Figured I'd ask here before I get started and find out I'm short an essential part :)

Thanks in advance.

-dew
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,690
    Just wiggle to loosen the old clampon plastic is what I had to do.

Also, do not let the left wheel drop completely. The rod for the height adjuster is on the suspension part; letting the arm fall free when taking the shock off overextends the sensor that it connects to.

This message has been approved.

• Thank you, sir! That's great info and you essentially predicted my next question - whether I needed to support the wheel independently.

Thanks again!!
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,690
    If I recall, I took off the tire and then supported the arm with a large block of wood. I lowered the car jack to take some tension off the top and bottom of the shock.

I recall something about the nuts used on the old shocks. They corroded to the bolt of something. I had to replace one of them with a corrosion plated
    bolt from the local hardware store.

This message has been approved.

• Perfect notion on the wood block support. Job is getting simpler as I read this :)

Re the bolts...as I was researching this project, definitely saw some cautionary info on the risk for breaking some of the bolts, and that it was a good idea to have a handful of M8x1.25 bolts on hand just in case.
13»