Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Forester Windshield Cracks

13»

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,461
    I know; it's terribly frustrating, especially given the number of creaks and pops I hear (not just on the Forester) during bouts of extreme temperature changes. Given how easily these Forester windshields crack, it wouldn't surprise me if it spontaneously cracked due to stress, especially if the car was very new.

But, even in the cases of exploding windows that I've read about, manufacturers will not cover them under warranty. The whole plausible deniability thing. Insurance will likely cover, but then you have to decide whether you want to put yourself on their watch list over something like that. :sick:
  • ywwyww Posts: 1
    my windshield cracked just a month after i bought it. (forester 2014). it started from the passenger side. Subaru service said it might be due to the heat..

besides windshield, the forester runs very well.
  • That happen to me after 3 weeks with my 2014 Forester. I have a 100 deductible with the insurance company but the crazy part was; the glass guy couldn't get a replacement because it was a brand new car and no one had the glass. He had to get special permission from the insurance company to order a windshield from Subaru. Over 3 weeks later and it was fixed..
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    edited September 2013
    It seems this subject is all over the internet and is not limited to just one model.

I'm retiring my old high-mileage OB and am ready to buy another Subie, maybe a Crosstrek which has very efficient use of space and fits nicely into my space-compromised 2/c garage. Not sure I can do this with all these stories of owners replacing windshields, some multiple times, with no satisfaction from Subaru. It's not a new subject either.

I like these cars but the company seems to put people through the mill with issues they are slow to correct. I just might get the new Mazda 3 hatchback with 2.5 engine and dedicated winter tires. They added some ground clearance, nothing like the Crosstrek, but higher nonetheless.
    edited September 2013
    Well, I cannot defend the maker's windshields in their current offerings after having the stock screen on my 2010 Forester practically fall apart by significantly cracking with even the slightest provocation. But, after replacing it this past June with a unit purchased from Safelite, this new unit is proving to be much more durable so far.

I think we've put about 17,000 miles on the car since then, and after countless rocks and hail stones (we were driving at the time and some of them actually dented the car's sheet metal) hit the screen, we finally picked up our first chip less than a week ago. But, it was just that: a small chip. My wife plans to have it "fixed," but, with the old screen, that chip would have turned into a crack all the way across the glass by now.

I think someone mentioned that the glass was "soft." It's actually the opposite: The the stock glass hard and thin, which means it is brittle.
  • stsaistsai Posts: 2
    hi - sorry to hear about your experience, I have a 2013 Outback and the same thing happened, a large 7-8 inch (and growing) crack after I heard a loud pop, but no evidence of rock chip or exterior damage. I even had two different windshield repair shops confirm. I was lucky though as my local dealership replaced the windshield for me under warranty.
  • Did they give you an explanation as 2 why the old one cracked?
  • stsaistsai Posts: 2
    No they did not. I was expecting a fight or some gimmick of finding the tiniest crack or chip but they looked it over and agreed with me that the crack came from the inside. It started from the bottom of the windshield, and was working its way up. The service person did have to get a manager's approval for the replacement under warranty. I couldn't find any information from other 2013 Outback owners so maybe I just got lucky this time around.
  • pka2pka2 Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm new here. We took our new Forester on our first road trip of about 1500 miles round trip (all highway driving) and a chip from something resulted in a crack from the bottom of the windshield on the passenger side that rapidly spread across toward the middle for about 2 feet. We have owned the car less than 2 months. I'm just adding my experience to this forum because there seems to be a concern that Forester windshields do not withstand what they should. I have never had a chipped or cracked windshield on any other vehicle in 40 years of car ownership. Of course this could be utter bad luck, but from what I'm reading on this forum I am worried that this may be the first of multiple windshield replacements on this car. There is no separate windshield coverage in my state and the repair will be subject to our $500 deductible, so I hope not!
  • @pka2 mine was about $230 from Safelight. I did not shop around tho. Goodluck.
  • pka2pka2 Posts: 2
    $230 for a 2014 Subaru Forester windshield? We're getting quotes of $800 to $1000!
  • I have a $100 deductible with my car insurance (other than collision) but if I had to pay for it myself I was told it would cost between $800 and $1,000.

You are better off having a higher collision deductible and a lower (other than collisions) deductible for things like a cracked windshield.
    I think it depends on whether you have the AWP or not. Year might make a difference - not sure about that one. The $230 noted by the prior poster was about the same (mine was a little more, probably due to location) as what was quoted last summer for a windshield w/o AWP. When I corrected the clerk and said that mine has the heated wiper pads, she re-ran it and that quote was $415, which is what I paid OTD.

It took them about two hours from the time I dropped it off until it was ready for pick up. That was June. Today, I have a nice chip along the bottom and, yes, it is cracked from side to side. Still haven't picked up a crack in my Fiesta windshield, despite being the smallest car on the road and constantly getting peppered by pea gravel by all the pickups.
  • Safelight will make up a price based on how pricey your windshield is. They will make it in there warehouse so you have to haggle with em. I got em down by asking for a discount also you might want to check with other auto glass shops sometimes they will undercut safelight my wife got a local shop to replace her windshield for cheaper.
  • madpixlmadpixl Posts: 1

I've had a 13 Legacy for 2 weeks, I noticed a chip on delivery, and they replaced the windshield last Friday. This morning a rock hits and instantly another chip all the way through. My Saab had been making the same commute for 139k and not one chip.... Is it the windshield? Is it the angle of the windshield?

Sometimes it is just luck of the draw, but I strongly suspect that Subaru's glass is just uncommonly brittle.

• rjswaneerjswanee Posts: 1
    I bought a '12 Forester almost two years ago. Yesterday I was driving down my street when I heard a loud pop. My windshield instantly cracked from the center of the driver's side at the top down to the middle of the windshield and veered to below the rearview mirror. Everything was closed Sunday, so this morning I went into my local Subaru dealer and explained what happened. They did the pen trick and found a chip about a fingernail's thickness deep and the size of a sharpened pencil nub. Whoops, not our problem - you gotta replace it yourself oop (out of pocket). And since the crack impeded my vision, I had to replace it today.
    Got it replaced for $285.25, including installation and the rubber gasket that seals the windshield. I think Subaru needs to own up to their crappy windshield glass. I expected a lot better quality from them, and a lot better customer service when the quality is sub par.
    I now have a PGW brand windshield. We'll see how well this holds up. I am really pissed at how Subaru dropped the ball on this. Why did I get the warranty if it doesn't cover replacing poor quality parts?
    On a side note, I found a great auto glass place. They will be getting my business again to replace a cracked '82 Chevy C10 windshield (cracked more than a decade ago, but doesn't impede vision). So I got that going for me, which is nice.
    edited June 10

Silver linings!

Our replaced windshield on the '10 Forester, which was done last June (almost exactly a year ago), has a plethora of cracks in it already. Thankfully, they are all doing an elaborate dance along the bottom of the screen, so it does not impede vision. But, there are so many of them that the distance between several of the cracks are actually delaminated. I can see the resulting translucence from outside the car.

I hate to say this, but this screen is actually holding up better than the last one. We have several pits in it that are decently sized and yet no cracks stemming from them. The OEM cracked with the slightest provocation. The problem is that my wife simply had a string of bad luck as far as taking rocks. we only have 20K miles on it since the last replacement, yet we really should do it again. I don't have it on the maintenance schedule until June 2017.... ! :'(

13»