Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Camry Owner Reports

andrelaplumeandrelaplume Posts: 934
edited March 16 in Toyota
to play devils advocate...do we need this forum? It seams there are thousands of negative posts and you are trying to drum up some good will. Yet I do not see similar forums under Honda?

I admit I have a drum to beat. I noticed the fit and finish quality on my then new 2002 Camry was not up to Toyota par and pondered weather mechanical issues were to come. Could this be what we are seeing today?

Rattles aside, (and its crappy traction on wet roads), I feel my 2002 Camry is superior to any other sedan I have owned. Still, after reading the horror stories here I must admit I'd be concerned about buying new one...at least in the short term. Perhaps that is the intent of this forum....I just think its sad one is needed!

(We own a 2003 Camry and 2006 Rav and are not afraid to admit Toyota quality has taken a hit in recent years)

Comments

• I just wanted to post a note here to describe my past 2 weeks with a new LE V6/6AT. I was one of the early purchasers (March) of an '07 Camry LE I4/5AT. I was also an early and vocal complainer about the hesitation and shift sensitivity of that vehicle. Without going into detail, and before the TSB was released to correct the problem, I finally worked a deal (thanks to my salesman and the Service Manager at Copeland Toyota, Brocktom, MA going to bat for me with Toyota) to trade up to an identical '07 LE with the V6/6AT. I have had the car for almost three weeks and I am really happy with it.

First, both cars were built in Kentucky and the build quality is superb on both vehicles (3/07 and 9/07). No vibrations, squeaks, or rattles. On the inside, other than the shift gate and shift display on the IP, you cannot tell the difference between the two cars. From the outside, only the dual exhaust tips give away the difference.

The V6 is a sweetheart of an engine; smooth, powerful, and quiet. It is also quite frugal - yes. I said frugal. Over the first 500 miles I have had two fillups and recorded a first tank average of 24.1mpg and a second tank average of 29.4mpg. I drive 60 miles a day on RT128 near Boston, which can vary from stop and go to 75mph on any given day, so I am quite pleased with this so far. My '03 averaged 29.65mpg over three years of use and the '07 I4 averaged 28.38 over 4900 miles of use.

The 6AT is a marvel in that it locks up in 2nd thru 6th gear and you would believe you are driving a manual transmission if you don't hammer the gas and get it to unlock anddownshift. It is not the smoothest shifting transmission I've driven, although still very smooth, but it is crisp (which I like) and still learning my way of driving.

Driving reveals the weight of the V6/6AT over the I4/5AT in that the car "pushes" more when taking corners at speed, but the car remains comfortable and gives the driver a confident attitude for a "family" sedan.

I will keep this forum posted as I get more mileage on the vehicle.

P.S. I moved to the '07 from an '03 I4/4AT which I really liked, and I am very happy that Toyota worked out the problems with the '07 I4/5AT.
  • sjsazsjsaz Posts: 10
    I will go out on a limb & say that My Camry SE V6 AT is for the most part problem-free.

I have owned it since 09/14/2006. It now has approximately 1200 Miles on it.

With the exception of a few bouts of herky-jerky gear-changing present in the Automatic Transmission at totally random times, & with no rhyme or reason. I don't notice any constant hesitations on my Camry, that others have mentioned both here and Toyota Nation.

I am smitten w/ my Camry!!! :blush:
  • I purchased mine in april '06 and have over 12,000 miles on it already. Just had to put a full set of rotors on it, but had the same problem with my 300c Hemi. I have been very surprised and happy with my '07 Camry XLE V6. I traded a '05 Avalon in to get the Camry as I liked the handling MUCH better, and enjoyed the 6 speed over the 5. The Camry is smaller, but suits my needs fine. It also has excellent power and yet gets great mileage. I can push 28.5 at 78mph on the highway. Stop and go in town around 21. On secondary roads at 60 mph I got 34.9 in a 60 mile trip over the weekend. The JBL sound system is superb. I have noticed the SLIGHT hesitation, but I was somewhat used to it having had the Avalon. It is not as pronounced in the Camry. All in all it is a wonderful car that I would recommend to anyone. I liked it because of looks, dual exhaust, a sweet engine and great mileage on regular fuel.
  • Our 07 Camry is problem free so far and is all that we expected of the reputation for quality that Toyota is known for. In spite of positive results I think most like us are experiencing, a few doomdsday prophets in these forums insist the company is on the ropes because of quality problems.
    I came across a very good article by an unbiased source and offer the following excerpt in rebuttal to the naysayers:

"Toyota officials have openly acknowledged that the company's rapid growth, and its increasing reliance on plants around the globe, has strained its ability to maintain a gold-standard quality record. At a news conference in July, Toyota president Katsuaki Watanabe bowed deeply and apologized for the recall troubles.

"I take this seriously and see it as a crisis," Watanabe said at the conference. "I want to apologize deeply for the troubles we have caused."

Toyota may be going through a rough patch, but industry experts say the recall issue has to be viewed in context. Toyota's quality record is still tops in the business; in June, Toyota and Lexus captured 11 of 19 initial-quality awards handed out by industry watchdog J.D. Power & Associates. They just happen to be in the glare of the spotlight.

"They're the guys wearing the yellow jersey, so everyone's watching them," says James Womack, chairman of the Lean Enterprise Institute, a Cambridge, Mass., non-profit think tank dedicated to expanding the principles of lean manufacturing.

Womack believes Toyota officials are losing a lot of sleep over the recall issue and will redouble their efforts to have all employees follow the tenets of TPS. "I've been watching these guys for a long time, and they worry more than any group of people I've ever seen," he says.

"You can bet they're poring over their business processes to look for weaknesses. I'd also be willing to place a pretty high bet that Toyota will be able to come up with answers."
  • drjamesdrjames Posts: 274
    For you beantown, and anyone else interested. Have owned the 07 Camry SE I4 5A since late spring and have had absolutely no problems of any kind. Aside from wishing Toyota offered more colours to choose from, the 'hesitation' problem some have experience was non existent from day one. Regardless, had the TSB EG056-06 applied which only improved the smoothness of the shifts. Very pleased.
  • Drjames, I would suggest not getting too concerned about criticism of positive experiences by folks like us who actually like our cars. Everyone views given situations in different ways. What may seem to some as a serious flaw in their new car may be viewed as nothing of any consequence by another. "Buyer's Remorse" is a common affliction, where the expectation of some kind of "Life Change" after a purchase of a new car doesn't materialize. I get a sense that quite a few of the criticisms of the Camry that I've seen are manifestations of the Buyer's Remorse syndrome.
    Don't forget the statement quoted in my earlier posting where it's noted the guys with yellow jerseys are often dissed by follow on competitors. That's life!
  • beantownbeantown Posts: 228
    That takes the cake.....buyer's remorse is now causing these problems!?! Let's not let the facts get in the way: Toyota has actively issued TSBs and admitted flaws with this new Camry. How would buyer's remorse cause tranny hesitation, the snap ring issue, rpm flare, center console squeaking and rattles all around....when the dealers and service people acknowledge these problems!

Now if people are just complaining about visibility, trunk space, the dashboard lighting or just general aspects of the car they don't like, then yes, those could be caused by buyer's remorse setting in. But problems acknowledged by the manufacturer, dealers and service people are certainly NOT.
  • For consideration only.
    I note a seemingly popular title in the Lexus ES350 section which might be more appropriate for this one "New XXXX Owners-Give Us Your Report"
    Seems there are some who don't much like a forum like this one because it only gives one side of the equation.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Actually, I think that is a terrific idea! Thank you! :)
  • lukejslukejs Posts: 9
    After six months and about 8k miles our V6 xle has had no problems. No rattles, no hesitation, no rpm spikes; the car runs great. It's a March built J car.
    I did not even test drive the I4, looking at the horsepower to weight ratio I'm surprised it can get out of own way. How could it not hesitate?
    My one complaint is that they could not fit the V8 in there. I suppose the I4 makes sense if you are just sitting in heavy traffic everyday, it probaly uses less gas idling.
    What I really don't understand is why anyone would get an SE with the four; I mean, it's supposed to be "sporty", but without that 80 to 125 mph boost, what's the point?
    "What I really don't understand is why anyone would get an SE with the four; I mean, it's supposed to be "sporty", but without that 80 to 125 mph boost, what's the point? "

Well, whether you understand it or not, a good sports sedan isn't always about flat out speed. Equally, if not more important is the handling and road feel the car posesses which is near absent in the LE/and XLE trims with or without the V6. The other reason buyers such as myself opted for the I4? In my earnest opinion... it looks better and have been extremely happy with it for everyday driving to work and around town. That said, if I want pure speed, I'll take my Porsche Boxter S out for a drive. btw, Have you even driven the SE I4?
  • I am seriously thinking about purchasing an XLE with the I4 rather than the v6, the reason is that I have driven the v6 and it has way too much available power for a teen learning to drive. I will have the car in a couple of years when my daughter learns to drive and have concerns about the v6.

Your thoughts on the I4 in an XLE... Anyone have an XLE with the I4?
  • 07xle07xle Posts: 177
    I've had my '07 XLE I-4 sinch March.

No rattles, no noises, no hesitation, good acceleration from standing or passing, all the interior/exterior parts fit, quiet ride, good handling and great fuel economy (over 9,000 miles - worst gas tank, 22.71 mpg - best gas tank, 33.14 mpg - avg. since new, 27.41 mpg).

My only complaint is that the trip computer averages 4-5% too high on the fuel mileage but I can factor that as I'm driving.

Never expect to return to the dealer again but I did buy the 84 month/100,000 mile/$0 deductible extended warranty just in case something happens in 6 or 7 years ($880 cost).

I paid $300 over dealer invoice the first week they were out but if I bought one now it would be for $150 max. over dealer invoice.

There are a lot of moaners and complainers about the new Camry but being on 4 Camry forums they are the vocal minority. If there is something that is possibly wrong with a vehicle, they have found it in a '07 Camry.

Go for it!!!!
  • Thanks for the feedback... I have have not driven an I-4 as none of the dealers have any cars here in North NJ. I was trying to confirm that the I-4 has enough power for the XLE. I can deal with the trip computer averages.

Do you have to buy the warrnty up-front or can you shop it at any Toyota dealer for a certain period of time? Thanks for the info.
  • 07xle07xle Posts: 177
    You can drive a CE or LE with the I4. Same drivabiltity w/o some people comforts. ..or even an SE, although the ride and handling will be different.

No hurry to buy the warranty. Lots of time to shop around.

I read in another forum that one dealer is only charging $750 for the identical Platinum warranty. It's just like any insurance policy, it may or may not ever pay off.
  • Hi Everyone:

I would appreciated if you could answer some these questions regarding Camry 07 V6 SE

1) Should I be using gasoline rating of OCT 87 or higher? I have a mix message from Toyota Canada and dealers.

2) I have clucking noise (like a bad shock) from the rear wheel in the puddles? Is this expected since it is a SE version?

3) Should I perform an Oil change after break in period of 1600 klm? I have a mix message from Toyota Canada and dealers.

Thanks
  • Hi Fellow Canuck;
    To answer your questions:
    1. 87 Octane is alright but you will gain a few HP by using 91 Octane. I run 91 Octane.
    2. Have the dealer check out the cluncking sound.
    3. Wait until what the manual says. I think it is 7500KM or 6 months, which ever comes first. I have yet to change the oil in my SE and I have about 5300KM and I have had it since mid-May. I will change to Synthetic at that time.
    Hope this helps
    Should you choose to buy the XLE I4... you will undoubtedly have purchased an excellent car. That said, the XLE, because of all its' feature content/leather/... weighs more than the other models, so with the I4 motor, though not underpowered, will feel taxed at times (example: with 4 passengers and in the middle of the summer with the AC on). So, it will depend on what the primary purpose is.) But for some piece of mind, particularly with your daughter... the 07 Camry recieved the highest crash ratings by BOTH the insurance institute and the government.

In my experience, I also own a Porsche Boxter S and a Lexus RX and in comparison, my Camry SE I4 does NOT feel underpowered by any means.
  • Hi gbabaluk:

Did you have ant problem setting your Home Link (garage door openr)?

I first tried the method for Canadian users and then the other two. None worked. I know we have the rolling code door openers, so I tried that method again but instead of pressing the button twice at the end I pressed it 3 times and it worked (like Hondas).

However, It reset the door opener and I had to reprogram all my other remotes again.

Ps. Can you customize the message on the stereo (Welcome to Camry)?
  • beantownbeantown Posts: 228
    the 07 Camry recieved the highest crash ratings by BOTH the insurance institute and the government.

...maybe if you are ignoring the "marginal" rating it received from the IIHS in the rear impact portion of its test. Considering one is much more likely to be rear-ended than broad-sided or hit head on, I would give some weight to that result.
This discussion has been closed.