Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Camry Owner Reports

Comments

• Our experience since we bought the new Camry in August has been good. No evidence of any of the glitches a few others seem to be having. Personally, I believe much of this transmission business stems from differences between DBW controlled 5 and 6 speeds, and older 3 and 4 speed transmissions. There are noticeably different characteristics between the two, and I think much of the hype around the issue results from perceptions that "something is wrong because it's different".
  • I bought my l4 5AT LE this summer but wanted to wait until I had a few km on it to respond,given the problems the "Woes" posters have had.

I am now at 1100 km ( about 700 miles)and so far, fingers crossed,have had no hesitation issues; in fact the car is beautifully responsive. I have been cautious about the kinds of situations that others describe (merging into very fast traffic,for example)but am feeling more confident.

I am really happy with the car.
  • shasta67shasta67 Posts: 109
    I don't think anyone has any doubts in here that historically Toyota has built some great cars. I have owned several Toyota trucks and they were just great. They did have bad bearings in the 1986 model manual transmissions.

I think the question now is whether they are still building as high of quality and just how serious the transmission problems really are. I think there is little doubt, even in Toyota's mind, that they do have a problem. I for one think Toyota will step up and get the problem fixed but I am thinking seriously of waiting for a few months or even a 2008 model.
  • I bought a 2007 camry LE and like it very much except for the poor alignment of the dashboard. There is and eighth of an inch gap between the driver's door and dash with the door closed and a quarter inch gap on the passenger's side.
    There are some other alignment problems in other parts of the dash. Anybody have this problem?
  • drjamesdrjames Posts: 274
    Yeah, I noticed some uneven spacing between dash pieces/door on alot of the early builds. Thankfully, mine was extremely tight fitting and fairly even. I was just in for my first routine oil change and walked around the dealer lot with 'new' or very late build Camrys and peaked inside, I noticed better fitting and alignment in all of them.
  • And what it is, if one is looking for the best car for the least dollars is what I wrestled away from a local dealer for just under $18,000, cash price. That got me into a 2007 Camry CE/MT and it's a terrific value car for the money.

I've owned several Camrys over the years, each from a separate generation, and the reason for choosing them is reliability and quality construction. I think one can spend too much for a Camry and then expect it to rival a 5 series BMW or a Acura TL-S. That won't happen.

My experience with the 2007 model has been extremely positive. I don't expect the car to be a rice rocket on the Interstates or carve up a curvy road with unabated power and handling prowess. My new unit handles better than previous Camrys by far.

It also has better seats and returns the same mileage in the 24-31 mpg range. And I don't think there's another car out there that can rival the '07 Camry for looks, interior room, and the entire reliability package for under $18K. Interesting to note that the CE with MT was far more fun to drive, tighter suspension and far improved handling, than the LE with AT.

Then again, one tends to find justification for saving, in this case, about $2500 for choosing the MT.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,434
    roadhog4 - I am also looking at a manua transmission Camry.

What kind of mpg do you get on pure highway driving?

I also assume the cruise contol and shift hesitation noted by others are a non issue in the MT version, as the driver is in control of the gears.
  • Dudleyr,

The MT requires you to stir the gears for various driving conditions such as pulling hills, passing, etc but the throws are precise with a quality snick with each shift. I've been getting about 32mpg on Interstate driving and around 28mpg on mixed which is about what I expected.

Having driven sticks before, but many years ago, it took me about 3 days to transition back to a MT. On the test drive loop, I killed the engine a couple of times which was frustrating but the salesguy that accompanied me said this was normal and I would get re-adjusted to the MT quickly. He was right.

The LE with AT was, in comparison on the same test drive day, almost a different car in terms of handling and simply not having the nimble characteristics of the MT. That AT transmission DOES search and hesitate unless you run it in fulltime 4 speed mode but even then, the car drove like a Buick if you know what I mean?

For whatever reason as it relates to suspension, having the chassis/engine/transmission more tightly dialed in, the MT was, for me, the far better car. It's not a speed demon, as noted in my initial posting, but, with all the impressive list of standard features in addition to what's been said here, is the absolute best VALUE for any comparable car out there.

You may have already learned that a 07 Camry MT is in rare supply! They're hard to find on a dealer lot but if you get one, I'm pretty sure you'll be glad you did.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    I test drove a CE 5 speed manual, and I agree - it is a great car compared to the automatic. I just don't know why more people don't like stick. When I get my Camry, it will be a manual.
  • We picked up our LE V6 in early September. We ordered the Stability/Traction control and 6 disc JBL stereo.....they couldn't find one, so it was built "for us" in Lexington - took about 6 weeks for delivery. In general we're delighted with the car. There are no problems with the alignment of the dash - it is perfect. We've put about 1800 miles on it, partly on an 750 mile trip. Fuel economy is about on a par with our old 98 V6 - about 30MPH driving at 75 to 85 MPH. Around town seems to be in the 23 to 24 MPG range.

We have not noticed any hesitation problems at all, and the engine is very powerful - we wanted the acceleration because we do a lot of interstate driving.

No squeaks or rattles, and the performance of the stereo is great. It is nice having MP3 capability - one MP3 disc lasts 8 hours or so.

I HAVE noticed that the engine surges during accelerations, usually when I'm pulling into traffic, really get on it to get up to about 50MPH (which you have to do occasionally here (Naples, FL) to keep from getting run over), then let off the gas to maintain speed. Weird, but I figured it might be my problem, not the car's. however, I will take it back to my dealer to get the TSB applied (I think there is one for the 6 speed).

In general we're delighted with the car. BTW, I'm 6'6" and fit into the car just fine. There are some problems with visibility - -the front posts seem large and driving on really curvy roads (mountains) might require care. I rationalized the wide posts by thinking they might have required some room for the side airbags.

The car doesn't look it, but it is quite a bit larger inside than the 98 V6.
  • Where can you get masks for the 07 camrys?

Even the dealers don't have them.
  • No problems with a 4 cyl LE. 28 mpg on the first tank (although I don't know if it was topped off initially by the dealer) from 70% hwy/30% city driving.

No rattles and I'm a rattle nut.

The car has a tendency to gyrate as if the shocks were old. Maybe they wanted to introduce a softer ride, but I might get some stiffer shocks.

As has been expressed in other posts, the car is not a 'driver's car' so to speak in terms of handling, acceleration, etc. But what it is (so far) is comfortable, reliable, and roomy transportation for under $20K (plus TTL).
  • I purchased my new 07 Camry in September. It has been in service now since December 4 for a new transmission. I do not like the fact that there is silence on the part of my local dealer and Toyota Corp. I faxed them a letter this morning about opening arbitration to return the car. :mad: :lemon:
  • terry92270terry92270 Posts: 1,247
    To be fair, it has been exactly 7 calendar days, two of which were the weekend. I assume they didn't have an extra transmission sitting around, and that it would take at least three days for them to order and receive it, and perhaps another two to start work and install it. That's five (business) days right there.

Have you called the Service Manager, spoken to him directly, rather than take a legalistic tack, with demand letters, and such?
  • I will never buy Toyota Again! My camry has only 36,743 miles and drive belt came loose! I was in middle of the road and lost power steering then battery light came on. A day before I heard loud tapping noise coming from the drive-belt area, then it became totally loose today and the noise was even louder. Since factory warranty is up to 36,000 miles, I don't how much it will cost me to repair this, but I will never buy Toyota again.
    I had so much problem with moon loof, which I had to go to the Longo Toyota twice (still it has same problem, where loof goes up then comes down half way).
    Toyota used to be reliable, but then it looks like they don't care about manufacturing quality cars anymore.

I miss my old Honda.
  • Sorry to hear of your difficulty, but a loose or failed serpentine belt is not uncommon with any automobile. There are two types of similar victims out there (any make or model); those that have had that same problem; and those who are going to have it someday.
    Given the mileage being so close to the cutoff limit, I would expect that it should be corrected under warranty.
    It's not the best reason to swear off buying any make of vehicle, but that's your prerogative.
    FWIW, there are lots of completely satisfied Toyota owners out there, and we're included in that majority. Our 07 is great, and we are completely satisfied that reliability is still as good as any other make--and maybe better.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    Agree with gmont on the failed serpentine belt -- it's not a big deal, like transmission failure.

As for the moonroof, I can tell you how I fixed mine in my 2004 Camry after I replaced the battery. It seems you have to follow the "initialization" procedure EXACTLY, as explained in the owner's manual. (I didn't, and my moonroof wouldn't work properly.)

One way to do fix this (without disconnecting the battery, which will mess up your radio presets and clock as well as temporarily affect your engine's idle speed) is to pull the "power no. 1" fuse in the lower left instrument panel.

Easier said than done, however. I had to use small pliers and ended up destroying the fuse. So have a replacement (30 amp) on hand before you start. Before you pull the fuse, make sure the keys are out of the ignition and the moonroof is fully closed and flush with the roof. Once the fuse is out, drive around for a day or two. Note: both your moonroof AND power windows will be inoperable, so if you have to pay tolls or otherwise open your window, this won't work.

Then re-install the fuse, turn on the ignition, and follow EXACTLY the procedure in the owner's manual. It worked for me -- no problems since I did this in early November. Good luck!
  • eroc69eroc69 Posts: 56
    Dont know if this is the right thread but Iam sure someone will re-direct it if its not. I purchased an 07 LE-V6 last Friday and have only about 150miles on it. The engine is phenominal, when I can use it. The hesitation issue is not there that I notice and I NOTICE EVERYTHING.
    The one thing that detracts from this possible awesome car is the positioning of the gas-brake pedals in relation to me. Iam 6' and about 230lbs. The pedals seem abit off center to the left and as such my knee is hurting. I constantly move and reposition my leg etc. and its bothersome and noticeable. Iam getting ready for a 1000 mile round trip this Weds. to Sun. from PA to NY. Dont want the wife to know I have this issue as the car is great.
    Also the brakes need a 'pumping' to get the great solid pedal feel, if I dont pump them once then the pedal is a little weak and lacking.
    Any TSBs on the brakes? Any suggestions on the seat comfort?
  • drjamesdrjames Posts: 274
    hey eroc69, I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your new Camry so much. As for the the uncomfortable feeling you are experiencing with the seating/gas/break pedal... you are the second person I've heard of experiencing such discomfort. The first person was able to resolve any discomfort by mimmicing the seating position in her previous car. Though I am sure you have tried various seating positions, there wasn't very much the service guys can do. For your upcoming trip, only I can say for now is use the cruise control as much as possible. And for the brakes... there has not been a TSB to increase pedal firmness or anything like that. Anyway, hope this helps.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,087
    >the positioning of the gas-brake pedals in relation to me. Iam 6' and about 230lbs. The pedals seem abit off center to the left and as such my knee is hurting.

Did you test drive the car long enough to see if it "fit" you?
  • Just returned from my first extended highway driving trip of about 400 miles with my 2007 CE MT Camry and the mileage was spectacular. I cruised around 72-74 MPH most of the time on mainly flat surfaces so the MPG potential was optimum.

Anyway, filling up at the end of the trip returned an amazing 34.5 MPG. Wow!
  • barroncbarronc Posts: 44
    My 2007 Camry XLE V-6 has had a few minor problems. I cannot do the oil change re-set as is stated in the Camry manual. I followed the book and did exactly what it says and no luck. A friend even tried doing it and still could not get it to reset. I changed my oil after 3,000 miles but didn't reset it at that time, maybe that was the problem. I honestly never had to be told by a car when to change it's oil so it never occurred to me to do have to do a reset and my 2002 Nissan Maxima SE didn't have this built into it's computer. Guess I should have read the Camry manual all the way through. Anyways, after I saw the light on the dash go on that says "Maintenance Required" (this is to let you know you'll need an oil change soon) I read how to do it and it would not work. Anyone else experiencing this problem? There is also some hesitation and shifting problems as well. I hate the seatbelt alarm it goes on way too long and I don't like having my doors lock after 30 seconds. Also, my sideview mirror adjustment buttons on the lower left botton side of the driver's side dash don't work very well. Other than that it's a pretty decent :( car, not great though. I doubt I'll be buying another Toyota in the future.
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    Hi everyone:
    My Camry is six (6) weeks old, and I have 3,800 + miles on the vehicle. (Yes I drive alot!). I purchased this vehicle over a Chevrolet Impala, a Buick, a Honda Accord and a Ford 500. My major concern was comfort. The Camry is great to drive, very powerful and comfortable. I DO NOT have any of the problems that I see posted on these boards, but that does not mean that they do not exist, or that these problems will not surface at a high mileage! Would I purchase this vehicle again? ----- Based on its current performance, ---YES!----- But, if I start to have the transmission issue, that has been described on these boards, my answer would change to "NO"!
    I enjoy driving this vehicle every day. The seats are VERY comfortable, and the V6 engine is VERY powerful. The vehicle has had it first oil and filter change. (I make it a point to have the oil and filter changed every 2,500 miles. It is just a personal choice on my part. Toyota has had a sludge problem in the past.) The selling dealer does all the service, so all my records are in one location, should a warranty issue surface. The vehicle is also covered by a 6 year / 100,000 miles extended Toyota warranty.
    Do I like the Toyota Camry? ----- YES.----- Am I presently happy with the product? ---- YES.---- Would I purchase the vehicle again, knowing what I now know about the possible transmission issue on some vehicles? -----I don't know! ---Probably NO!
    Best regards. ----- Dwayne ;) :confuse: :) :(
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    Thanks for your informative report. Can you tell us why you picked this vehicle over the Accord?
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    Hi fredvh:
    I had a 2003 4 cylinder automatic Accord with leather. The seats were VERY uncomfortable! After driving for two hours, my upper back and my bottom ached! I lived at the Chiropractor, and I thought that I was just getting old! ---- Now that I have the Camry for the past six weeks, I have not had a need for a Chiropractic adjustment! Something is different with the seats in the Camry. My back is supported much better than with the Accord seats.
    On the other side of the issue, I loved the quality of the Accord, and I had a GREAT dealer, and the service was excellent. As a result of this positive experience, I did not want to purchase another name plate, but I needed a more comfortable vehicle.
    Best regards. ----- Dwayne ;) :shades: :) :D
  • mookmanmookman Posts: 3
    I recently bought a toyota camry LE. and when i bought the car, the price included the price of the auto-dimming mirror and a remote start.
    I just got my car back with one of the accessories, the remote start installed today. Thats when I noticed the part installed wasn't the original toyota accessory and was a cheap third party spare, but when the sale was made it was based on the toyota accessory list prices. I dont know if i was cheated or this the norm.
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,
    mooks
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,434
    Have them put in the Toyota part.
  • jimmags1jimmags1 Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I barely have 3000 miles on my CAMRY after 7 months.
    The only issue is that it seems sometimes the car pulls left. Not sure if it's the car or the uneven,clunky streets in the Chicago suburbs. (Don't notice it on my 2000 Taurus or 2004 Sebring,though.) Brought car in to service for oil change. Mechanic test drove it without me & with me,no issues found. I love the styling and the ride is very comfortable. But after 7 years,it is still amazing to me that the 2000 Taurus has the more advanced digital controls & the convenience of the keypad door lock that my other cars do not! I'm surprised other companies have not come up with their own keypad entrys.
This discussion has been closed.