Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LaCrosse Electrical/Lighting Problems

124»

Comments

• If the road is wet or slick with ice, but there's no falling precipitation, fog lamps should be used with discretion. Their extra downward light can help compensate for the tendency of water to "soak up" the light on the road from your headlamps. But, this extra downward light hitting a road surface shiny with water or ice will also create high levels of reflected glare for other drivers. Since we're all "other drivers" to everybody else on the road, it's well to think of roadway safety as a cooperative effort. In most driving situations, fog lamps are neither useful nor necessary, but more people use their fog lamps when the prevailing conditions don't call for their use, than use them when the conditions do call for their use. Nobody thinks your car is cool because it has fog lamps, and glare is dangerous, so do yourself and everyone a favor: choose them carefully, aim them properly, use them thoughtfully, and leave them off except when they're genuinely necessary.
  • This was exactly what the problem was for me. 2005 Buick Allure, the low beams just stopped working but the high beams still worked. I called auto parts stores and the dealership who wanted $75 for the part (15016745). I went to an auto salvage and they gave me two of them for free! Put it in and the headlights work again. That part is used in 03-06 GMC Envoy and Chev Trailblazers as well if your local auto salvage doesn't have many Allures/Lacrosse. Thanks for posting this and saving me about $300!
  • I added fog lights to my 2006 Lacrosse, I changed out the switch in the dash with one for the fog light option. and installed the DOT approved OEM fog lights to the front fascia. I just need to know where the harness is located to power the fog lights
  • djlongstridedjlongstride Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    Thanks for the great advice, spicoli2!

The low beams on my '05 Lacrosse wouldn't come on last night, either automatically or with the knob set to on, but the high beams worked fine. Both lamps had been replaced in the past couple of years, and I could see that the fuses were good.

I found your post and the positive feedback from others, and just got back from Advance Auto Parts with working low beams, thanks to you and a $35 replacement HDM relay module.
  • I just wanted to thank you for your solutions posting. The HDM was the issue and was easily replaced. Who knows how much money and trouble I saved attempting to replace a light bulb, (which I already know is a b#$%h to do) or getting raped by the stealorship. Thanks again, spicoli2!!!
  • Driving my 2005 Buick Lacrosse CXS today at 4:00 pm the Instrument Panel that displays Mileage and the Radio Display that shows Time, Music Selection all went dim for about 10 minutes then returned to normal, and went dim again. Any suggestions??? Thanks
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,370
    The most likely occurance was that the headlights came on and switched the settings to night, controllable by the dimming switch. Then the ambient brightness went up and the headlights turned off putting the panel lights into the daytime brightness setting.

Look down through the windshield to find the little light sensor that controls the auto headlights. Sometimes people lay things on the dash over the sensor. Sometimes the sensor doesn't "see" sunlight because of the sun angle, heavy clouds, overpasses, tunnels, and turns on the night lights.
  • Thanks "imidazol97" for your response, I will keep a check on the fwy overpasses and driving directions during the daytime.

Thanks
  • The 2007 Buick lacrosse cx is nothing but a black eye for Buick. Ours caught on fire in the fuse box. The person I talked to at gm said bring it to the dealer. It is their fault for having a lemon. But they want the owners to pay for their problems. It's only a matter of time before someone gets hurt or killed because of this danger. I hope it gets recalled before then. I am sure this is the last Buick we ever own.
    edited December 2013

@frankyhimel said: Ours caught on fire in the fuse box.

The car is up to 7 years old. Was it a relay that overheated? What did that relay serve? Were there symptoms about something not working right? When was the car last checked over at the Buick garage?

• The HDM relay caught fire. It burned all the wires that go to the panel. We would normally not go to a Buick technician to get it serviced. I have my own ASE certified mechanic that works on all my vehicles
  • Hopefully someone's house doesn't catch fire before the problem is fixed by Buick.
  • My Dad left me his 2006 Buick Lacrosse. Beautiful car. But I had the problems with the low beams not working and had to use the high beams to get home. My son replaced the relay for me and it worked fine....for awhile. Then I had to have the relay replaced again (the car parts place kindly replaced it for me) ... it worked for a few months, then it FRIED ! Smoke was pouring out from my hood and the whole relay box melted. Now my car won't work at all ! I canot afford to take it to the dealer and I really need help. I would like to get it fixed so I can sell it and get a car easier to fix. (so sad, I did love this car that my Dad left to me...) any suggestions?

• mydadscarmydadscar Posts: 3
    edited January 30

sorry, accidentally posted twice so I edited the 2nd posting out with this comment.

• 2005lacrosse dash lights. the mileage lights trip odometer @ radio info lights sometimes come on very dim when the car is started more often than not the work fine. what is causing this to occur?

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,125

Hello rammy1946,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing these concerns with your LaCrosse. Have you taken it to your local Buick dealership to have it diagnosed? I would be happy to assist with setting that up for you if you would like to email me at socialmedia@gm.com ATTN: Jonathan A.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Jonathan A. GM Customer Care

@rammy1946 said: 2005lacrosse dash lights. the mileage lights trip odometer @ radio info lights sometimes come on very dim when the car is started more often than not the work fine. what is causing this to occur?

I would suspect your car is initially starting up in night mode where the interior lamps are dimmer so that they aren't too bright relative to the outside lighting. I assume your car has a sensor on the dashtop somewhere for the overhead light from the sun. I notice mine sometimes doesn't sense the daylight even though the sky is light if the sun is at an oblique angle like at near dusk or near dawn.

Or you may have your wipers turned on which turns on the headlamps automatically. Does your car have the rain-sensing wipers which control the delay positions on the wiper switch? Make sure the wipers are OFF. If left in the lowest delay model in rain sense, the wipers should cycle one time when the key is turned to ON--that would indicate your rain sense wipers are in auto setting. That keeps headlamps on which may affect your day/night settings on the dash.

I am extrapolating how your 2005 may be based on my 2003 leSabre's settings. If it's the rain sense wipers are on in auto setting, don't feel bad. It took 2 visits to my Buick garage to figure out why my headlamps were staying on during long trips when the car was new.

• rch5rch5 Posts: 4

12.11.2013 7 PM Returning home from dinner heads light would not TURN OFF Tried to turn off lights, drove car up & down street starting and stopping Then stopped in front of house Scott Reese (neighbor) came out, we tapped box under hood lights blinked on and off when off for minute I drove can back into the garage

12.11.2013 7:25 PM Buick fire started in garage Total lost

12.11.2013 Pushed car out and it hit the house across the street
    Then rolled back to middle of street

2007 Buick La Crosse

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,125

@rch5 said: 12.11.2013 7 PM Returning home from dinner heads light would not TURN OFF Tried to turn off lights, drove car up & down street starting and stopping Then stopped in front of house Scott Reese (neighbor) came out, we tapped box under hood lights blinked on and off when off for minute I drove can back into the garage

12.11.2013 7:25 PM Buick fire started in garage Total lost

12.11.2013 Pushed car out and it hit the house across the street
    Then rolled back to middle of street

Hello rch5,

We apologize that you experienced this with your vehicle. We would like to look further into this matter for you and reach out to the department within General Motors that is best fit to address this issue. Could you please private message me your full contact information, VIN and mileage? Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Amber N. GM Customer Care

Robert

Please find my address below.

Thanks

Bryan Schwartz

ESIS/GM Claims Administrator

PO Box 300

Mail Code 482 C19 B61

Detroit, MI 48265-3000

P : 313.665.3395

F : 248.778.1794

rch5 = Robert Harold rcharold5@comcast.net 912 927 6891

• nucleartednuclearted Posts: 3

I see this thread has been going on for quite a while. Now it's 2014 and my 2006 Lacrosse has no low beam headlights. I did some research and thought that the Headlight Driver Module (HDM) sounded like the problem. I bought an R6100 from NAPA for $40. No help. i backed up and thought maybe two fuses went out at the same time (unlikely), The fuses tested good. I was making an appointment at the most convenient Buick dealership when the woman characterized the problem as I needed a new headlight. Two bulbs going out at the same time is also unlikely but I am in the middle of relocating and dropping off my car for service is really difficult. I went ahead and made an appoint for the day after tomorrow, but will check the bulbs before then. I really don't want to buy a body control module. :-(

Now for my other electrical problem on my 2006 Lacrosse - the cruise control. There is an on-off button on the left side of the steering wheel that gets depressed when on. It has a small orange light that lights up. When I press the set button on the other side of the steering wheel the orange light goes out and no cruise control. If I wait an undetermined number of minutes the orange light comes back on but trying to set the cruise turns it off again. Very rarely it works. I can press set, the orange light stays on, the round green indicator on the dash lights up and it holds the speed at the set point. Here are two clues that may help someone figure out what may be wrong. If I hold down the on-off button on the left, it works. I also noticed that the the light behind the set button is not on. There is a light behind the second button to control the cruise control, "RES +", is working. If the parts were easily available, I would replace the button module on the right which includes the set button. It would be aggravating to pay a ton of money for the module and install it only to find out the problem is somewhere else, Maybe its the body control module that;s also messing with my headlights. Any suggestions?

Since this thread will not be read by anyone I might as well talk to myself. My low beam problem turned out to be the bulbs, not the HDM or the BCM. It's illogical to have both bulbs go out at the same time, but apparently you can't always rely on logic to diagnose car problems.

Thanks for reporting what you found. I'm sure there are people reading here but they don't have any help to post so we don't see any postings.

• Replacing low beam headlight or side marker light on 2005 LaCrosse: had to replace the low beam but couldn't figure out how to do so. found a link which I contributed to at the end of the blog after I had successfully changed out the bulb. hope this helps others:
    http://buickforums.com/forums/threads/14242-how-do-i-replace-the-headlight-bulb-in-a-2005-buick-lacrosse

• bamagrits84bamagrits84 Posts: 1
    edited October 7
    I have a 2009 Buick Lacrosse. I will never buy another GM vehicle after what I experienced last night with it. My low beams would not go off. I opened the hood to pull the relay just to get them to go off. As soon as I opened the hood I smelled burning plastic. I opened the fuse box to find smoke coming out and my low beam relay melting. I immediately snatched it out. I am so glad I was parked when this happened and not driving with my children in the car. I'm scared to put another relay in and my car catch fire. There is clearly something wrong with the wiring. Buicks are not what they used to be.
124»