Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LaCrosse Electrical/Lighting Problems

1235»

Comments

• LongstrideLongstride NashvillePosts: 1
    edited November 2014

Thanks for the great advice, spicoli2!

The low beams on my '05 Lacrosse wouldn't come on last night, either automatically or with the knob set to on, but the high beams worked fine. Both lamps had been replaced in the past couple of years, and I could see that the fuses were good.

I found your post and the positive feedback from others, and just got back from Advance Auto Parts with working low beams, thanks to you and a $35 replacement HDM relay module.

One year later, and I get a call from the Parking office at work saying my headlights are on in the garage. I opened the fuse box and thought I saw smoke, so I moved my car out into the sunlight to verify that there really was smoke. Not knowing where it was coming from, I started touching the fuses and relays until I got to the HDM module, which burned the heck out of my thumb. Luckily I got it out before a complete meltdown and took my car to the shop. They looked it over and said the entire box will need to be replaced with an estimate of $570.

Buick/GM needs to address this problem, as it seems to be common in the Lacrosse line.

·
  • Since this thread will not be read by anyone I might as well talk to myself. My low beam problem turned out to be the bulbs, not the HDM or the BCM. It's illogical to have both bulbs go out at the same time, but apparently you can't always rely on logic to diagnose car problems.

I find it's great therapy to put in writing the grief caused by our vehicles (or GM). And, whenever an issue with my LaCrosse pops up, the first place I go for research is this forum. So please, keep making entries, you are helping many others by doing so.
    ·
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,198

One year later, and I get a call from the Parking office at work saying my headlights are on in the garage. I opened the fuse box and thought I saw smoke, so I moved my car out into the sunlight to verify that there really was smoke. Not knowing where it was coming from, I started touching the fuses and relays until I got to the HDM module, which burned the heck out of my thumb. Luckily I got it out before a complete meltdown and took my car to the shop. They looked it over and said the entire box will need to be replaced with an estimate of $570.

Buick/GM needs to address this problem, as it seems to be common in the Lacrosse line.

Oh no! We're sorry for your experience and certainly understand why you're upset. If you would like for us to document this matter within our system please send your VIN, mileage, contact information and dealership name via private message. We're also available via email at socialmedia@gm.com if you'd like to further discuss this matter.

Thanks,
    Amber N.
    GM Customer Care
    ·
  • My in laws have an 06 lacrosse and the headlights will come on automatically when the car is parked in the garage. They park the car after driving it and check about 30 minutes later and the lights will be on. I don't know if they are having problems with low beams because they don't drive at night. The car also needs to be jump started when this happens. Is it possible it could be this relay everyone is talking about?
    ·
  • gmcustsvc said:

Exactly what I found in my 2009 Buick LaCrosse tonight! I had replaced the HDM #35 about a year ago because the low beams would not come on, and tonight my wife was complaining that they would not turn off. It was hot when I pulled it, but thankfully, not smoking. I am so glad it is dark up here in WA this time of year, or we may not have noticed it! It could have burned my whole house down, and us in it!

Definately, Buick/GM needs to address this problem before lives are lost!
    ·
  • My drivers side low beam went out last night on my 2005 LaCrosse. Bought a bulb today and searched for video on how to replace it tonite when I stumbled on this site. Now I'm worried. Since I have owned a bunch of different cars since 1956, only had to replace two bulbs. I'm hoping this is just the bulb and I'm not about to experience what I have read here. Terrible!
    ·
  • As for replacing the bulb, check out my earlier post on July 27, currently on page 4 of this thread. Step-by-step replacement procedure; once you do it, it is easy, but the first time is a learning experience.
    ·
  • airedale6airedale6 Posts: 1
    2009 Buick Lacrosse CX- Radio/radio lights quit working. This has occurred several times. The last time the radio went out my husband disconnected the car battery for 15 minutes and now radio and radio lights work. Still a problem with the following: dash lights (engine light) goes on and off for no reason. Both low beam lights quit. Bulbs are good and both bright lights work. Fuses look fine. I thought I smelled plastic burning when exiting the car the other day. Any suggestions for repairs. I read article at USA Today, December 1, 2014. Also filled out a complaint with Buick Manufacture. Any suggestions for repairing low beam lights?
    ·
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,824
    edited January 3

Without verifying the owners manual and relay diagrams, those lights go through a relay in the fuse box under the hood, and the power goes through a fuse for each bulb low beam.

If I recall, those relays can overheat and cause a plastic burning smell. The relay itself can be damaged from the heat as well as the connector it plugs into.

That's where I'd start my search. Since the low beams don't work at all. Did both low beams quit at the same time? The module which acts as a relay may be the problem. You may be able to check to see if it's supplying voltage to either headlight circuit as it comes out of the fuse box.

Verify the numbers with the locations in the owner manual in the glovebox. I had to use a circuit diagram for the 2007 lacrosse.

lacrosse.gif 99.9K
    ·
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,824
    edited January 4
    The output from the module is B12. If you can identify that on the output prong and use a wire to connect while module is in place and then measure for voltage that might identify a bad module.

Or test at the input side for the two fuses in the block for the low beam. The fuses are AFTER the
    module/relay.

If you get the lights working, touch the relay to see if it's warming up.

Don't assume one headlight bulb is NOT burned out. Recently had a Century/Regal in my neighbor's garage--he's a shadetree mechanic. Both headlights were not working. Turned out one was a bad
    relay for low beam and the other was a poor connection AT the bulb. When he reached to disconnect the plug from the bulb to put in a known good bulb, that headlight came on. The other was a bad relay.

Good luck.
    ·
  • So like many of u guys said yalll had the problem with yall buick lacross i had the same  problem with my wife car today i. Went to go buy a relay onlyto open the fuse box and see this so my machanic had me calll sum salvage junk yards to find another fuse box  i found 1 for 100$ with alll the fuses and relays in it for a 2oo5 buick and i have a 2007 my machanic  will installm for 150$ but if my wife car sould have caught fire i wouldd be the new Owner of GM and Buick smh
    ·
  • OnStar and navigation not working 2015 LaCrosse
    12-22-2014
    I purchased a new 2015 Buick Lacrosse and have had it 3 weeks and the OnStar has not worked from day one than the navigation system stop working after 6 days. took it to the dealer they said it was commutations module needed replacement after talking to the engineers the module came in and off to dealer again after leaving it with them all day they call me and say it still is not fixed they called the engineers again they think the programing went bad for the module so they ordered another. I am not having a very good feeling about this being fixed anytime soon. I will post about this after the second module comes in.
    01-02-2015
    The problem with the new 4G is it does not work, I have 2015 Lacrosse and the OnStar has not worked from day one and now the navigation is not working. Had it in last Monday and they replaced the communications module which did not fix it/ they told me it’s on a national back order so how knows when it will be fixed?
    01-08-2015
    I get a call from the dealer today they need a number off of my computer so I have to bring my car in it will only take 15 minutes, its 01-14-2014 now and still not repaired waiting on a call from them.
    ·
  • I see many people have had issues with their Buick headlights!!! I had a very similar issue also. I would be driving and my regular low beam lights would go out on me in the middle of the night!!! and probably during the daytime too but I couldn't notice that of course haha This is definitely a huge issue, I have been pulled over 3 times for driving with my high beams on at night!!! They worked just fine i had to drive with some kind of lights!! So I did a little research and found out about the HDM Module its the relay in the fuse box (#35)under your hood close to your battery for those people who aren't too car savvy ( like myself haha). I would recommend this to people having the same issue, its definitely a good place to start. I see people writing that your bulbs out but in this case I'm about 99.9% sure its not your bulb its as if they didn't see you write they go off and on intermittently!!!! So obvioulsy they didn't burn out! I changed mine about 6 months ago and it resolved the issue! Now that I wrote that its funny I just got a RECALL letter in the mail from Buick for the HDM module haha hopefully they'll reimburse me and give me an original one! I also got a RECALL in the mail a little while back for some kind of Ignition problem that I never went in for I have to check the paper I have at home. I'm actually writing this to see if anyone is having the problem I'm having now so I changed the HDM module like I said maybe 6-10 months ago cant remember exactly and haven't had an issue since but now my headlights will not go out!!! Now this is a huge issue because its killed my battery 3 times now when I wake up to go to work! .......To describe my problem a little it only happens when I'm in park they go off and on while im out of the car or in the car. They only do it when the car is not on. Ive cut them off manually using the knob and once I slam my door they pop on. Sometimes I can turn my knob to turn them off and it works ,sometimes it doesn't!! When I get out of my car they usually turn off within 30 seconds but don't do that now and sometimes they do go out like normal and will just pop back on and sometimes just off and on constantly throughout the night! Sometimes they will just stay on no matter if I lock the door try to turn the knob nothing works they just stay on!!! I already wrote too much (haha) so i'll cut it off here but if anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated some things I've read that make a little sense are the ignition switch being faulty, something with my door fob or whatever it is where the door locks, possibly the actual knob being faulty and I don't know if it could be that same module again because it was an aftermarket one? When I go to Buick and get the new I'll let you guys know if it helped but for now if anyone that has had this issue or knows cars good it would be so great if you could help me! and one more thing it started happening when the temperature hit 0 degrees Fahrenheit!
    ·
1235»