Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LaCrosse: Real World MPG

Comments

• sscott3sscott3 Posts: 6
    When I bought my CXS in May 05 I was disappointed with the mileage at about 19 mpg. The car continued at just under 20 mpg for the summer and dropped to 19.4 mpg over the winter. I had the same squeaks and rattles others have mentioned particularly in the winter with cold temps. I still have a creek in the dash. I recently took a 500 mile trip over a weekend. Mostly 70 mph (50%) and 60 mph (30%) with some 65 and slower speeds all highway with cruise engaged. It got 24.9 mpg. I suppose that a sustained 55 mph could yield close to the 27 mpg EPA estimate. Others have reported very poor city mileage of around 14 mpg and my 25% city driving on my day to day commute to work is probably what is doing me in. Since reseting the average calculator it's running at just over 20. I now am thinking that it is the axle ratio used for the CXS that is responsible for the poor mileage. The 3800 engine with the higher axle ratio does much better. I traded a car I liked (99 Regal GSE) that got 22- 23 mpg and required premium fuel with an EPA est of 18/26 for an 05 CXS with an EPA est of 19/27 and only needing regular fuel. I gave up the performance of the SC3800 engine expecting better fuel economy. I got poorer performance as expected and poorer gas mileage as well. GM, you wont get another chance at my business.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    The axle ratio has been changed for 2007 for the 3.8 version.
  • jfgte8296jfgte8296 Posts: 3
    I fugured out where that creaking in the center console is comming from but not how to fix it yet. If you tilt the two center air vent down all the way, and push down on that plastic base you will here the noise. Now If only I could figure out how to stop it. I may use some dense foam tape to try to dampent it but have to leave room to allow the vents to be tilted.
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Posts: 309
    fyi,,

I bought a acura tl and also creaks and rattles

get the Lexus
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    I am looking to purchase a new vehicle. One of the vehicles of interest is a 2007 Buick LaCrosse with a 3.8 V6 engine, CXL / Drivers confidence pkg., CF5 - Power Glass Sunroof, and KA1 - Heated Front Seats. The vehicle is rated for 20 mpg city and 30 hwy. After reading these postings dealing with vehicle mileage, I am having second thoughts???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!! --- Best regards. --- Dwyane :confuse: :( ;) :lemon:
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,149
    Dwayne,

Having had 3 3800s in heavier leSabres and getting 35-38 at steady cruise speeds below 65 on them and getting 30-31 overall on distance interstate travel with AC on and 3 adults and luggage in the car, I don't understand the lower results for the 3800.

I'd suggest renting one for a trip and even renting one for a few days around town. Get one with a digital readout for mileage that you can reset and watch for a while.

Our leSabres tend toward 24 for me and 22 for my wife in around suburbs driving including short trips to grocery, post office, shopping, etc., ranging 1 to 8 miles.
  • I bought my 2006 LaCrosse with the 3.8L engine in July of 2006 and was somewhat up set with the gas mileage, but as the car has broken in the mileage has improved. With 4500 miles on it now, in mixed driving, it's getting between 26 and 28 consistantly. This is a vast improvement from the 18 to 19 I first got it.

I had a 2002 Regal with the same motor and what I'm getting now with the LaCrosse is about what I got with the Regal. I took the Regal on a trip and got 33 mpg with it, but I haven't gone on any trips with the LaCrosse yet.

The only difference I see between the two cars, is the Regal seemed a bit more responsive when given the gas, and no it wasn't super-charged. The Lacrosse seems to downshift more often than the Regal did and the gas pedal seems to be harder to press.

I was told years ago by an old mechanic that you shouldn't see your best gas mileage or performance until an engine has 7000 miles on it. Maybe that's true, at least my cars gas mileage has been going up as the miles have.

It's pretty difficult here in MD to get a good grasp on your gas mileage, since depending where you live determines what additives they put in your gas. If you live where they do smog testing, the gas has an additive to cut down on smog and makes your gas mileage drop, then in the winter they mess with the formulation again. The biggest pain is in your wallet. I can go 20 miles away to the next county and pay 10 to 15 cents less and not have any of these power robbing additives, while getting much better gas mileage. I did that today and in mostly highway driving with some town and a few stop lights, when I got home,I had averaged 30.6 mpg on my average fuel mileage reading, which is usually 1 mpg more than what it is if you figure it out by hand.
  • My vehicle now has 3300 miles on it. The overall mileage has crept up to 20 MPG. It would be great to see it improve as I head to 7000 miles. Still love this great car.
  • Just drove over 1200 miles from Tennessee to Massachusetts for the holidays. My 3.6L engine averaged 25.5 MPG for the trip. Pretty decent mileage. We were stuck in several long traffic jams once we hit the New Jersey/ New York area. The car now has 5300 miles on it and averages about 21 MPG overall. Just had an oil change and the tires rotated before the road trip. Am now running synthetic oil in it and will consider actually using the Oil Life System versus mileage for oil changes.
  • I just checked this post and at least I'm not alone in the poor mileage, I have a 05 CXS with the 3.6L I've had it for 11 months. the best MPG is ever got was on a trip 24, it averages 15 /16 MPG (70%city 30%highway)I live in the northeast and now its averaging 13.5 to 14.5 MPG this winter. I know the winter you usually drop mileage, but what sucks is I traded in a 04 trailblazer 4X4 that was getting between 13 and 14MPG in the same winters with the same driver going the same places. and to think the dealer told me there was no complaints about fuel economy.
  • 2006 CXS with 5 months of ownership 8700 miles, 21.1 MPG 50/50 driving, and still have a quiet interior. Hope your situation improves.
  • markfncmarkfnc Posts: 12
    Just filled up for the first time. 2007 CX with 3.8 398 miles and it took 15.8 gal to fill up 25.2 mpg. Probably 60% hwy.

After the fill up i got right on the hwy and drove about 30 miles at 58 mph with cruise on. The computer said 32.2 mpg. Of course at 58 I thought i was gonig to get run over.
  • hitman1970hitman1970 Posts: 33
    So far I have 12000 miles on my 2006 CXS. I have an average of 21.9 on my DIC now. I have had the the car for eight months now. It has been a pleasure to own the entire time. I have driven from Tennessee to Massachusetts and down to Alabama with it. Excellent comfort on long road trips.
  • dnguydnguy Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 CXL with 15,000 miles. Fuel monitor is reporting 32/33 mpg while car is going between 55-60 mph in cruise control. This is optimal.

Higher speeds (say, 70 mph) will cut this by 10-15%. Also speeding up and slowing down frequently, also hard on mpg.

For best fuel economy, stay at the speed limit, and use cruise control. Other cars will speed by at 70-80 mph but so what.

DNGUY
    I have a 2007 LaCrosse CX. My 1st tank was 25.2 mpg, and the 2nd tank was 25.8 mpg. Those are actual miles divided by gallons put in. On the 2nd tank the computer reading for the entire tank was 25.7 mpg vs the actual of 25.8 so that was real acurate. I drove one stretch right after I filled up the 1st time. drove 30 miles on the higheay with the cruise on 58 mph, adn the computer said 32.2 mpg wgwen i got off the highway. I want to take a trip to see how close to 30 i could really get.
    2 month update.

Total miles 6319
    Total gallons used = 243.16
    Overall MPG = 25.99
    Best tank MPG = 27.279
    Worst tank MPG = 23.495

changed oil @ 4132

No problems

We were on vacation last week, so the car was not driven that week as this is a company car, and we took the wives Freestar. So actually the miles driven per week is about 702.
    3 month update
    Total miles = 9516
    Total gallons used = 368.50
    overall mpg = 25.82
    best tank mpg = 27.279
    worst tank mpg = 23.495

changed oil 4132, then 8275

no problems. The transmission shifts smooth, the engine is quiet. Of course I have never been in a Lexus so can't compare. But for the cars / SUV / Mini vans I have driven this is the quietest, and smoothest. As stated before the driver seat needs lumbar control.
  • Now have 14,550 miles on my CXS. Have done a lot more city driving recently and my overall mileage is now 21.1 MPG. No issues at all with the car. Still a pleasure to drive. I had done two oil changes and replaced the air filter so far. :)
  • Purchase vehicle on 3/29/07 at local Buick Dealer down here in Florida.

Wife and I decide to drive up to New York area and visit family in New England area and also family on eastern Long Island.

Drove over 4,022.0 miles. This mileage included a lot of stop and go traffic plus driving in city and rural town roads. Current mileage on vehicle is 7,655 miles

My over all gas mileage was 27.3 MPG. Got as high as 31.9 and low at 24.4 MPG combined highway and city driving. Set cruise control on 65 MPH as much as possible.

Really enjoy this Buick. Nice car. Love the remove starting system. Best accessory that I every purchased on a new vehicle. This is our 4 Buick. Had a 1985,1994 and 1999.
    Feel this mileage is fairly good for a car this size. Had a 2005 Honda which I traded in on this Buick. Honda was nice but not for a long ride. Found out the seat are not the greatest thing on the road. Mileage was good between 29 and 34 MPG on open highway but murder on the old back. Decide to trade in Honda on Buick.
  • :mad: :sick: :cry:
    I just purchased my 2007 Buick Lacross I am only getting 12 mpg on the highway I drove 680 miles last week end and used $90.00 worth of gas @3.00 per gallon,I only had the car 3 or
    4 weeks at the most I am just sick,I drive 60 miles per week
    back and forth to work, on Wenesday I put in 10.00 for a test run I drove 31 miles since then and I have 1/8 of a tank today Friday,there is something that is not right with this gas milage.I like some suggestions please.I need help. :lemon:
  • What trim vehicle do you have? Did you buy it new or used? How many miles were on it? Either way you should be getting 30 MPG with the 3.8L at 70 MPH on the highway or 27 MPG at 70 MPH with the 3.6L. How fast do you drive? You definately have the right to get this fixed.
  • bxdbxd Posts: 186
    680 miles, using $90 of gas, at $3/gallon, means you burnt 30 gallons. 680 / 30 = 22.7 MPG.

A little low, but depending on driving style, city vs. highway, engine choice, and how new the car is (MPG increases after engine break-in), temperatures, etc. this isn't outlandish. Where is the 12MPG coming from? I bet that is from the INSTANT MPG display. That is normal, when you step on the gas hard to pass someone, or drive into a headwind, or climb a hill... you should expect that, even single digits. But then going DOWN hill, etc. you will see it go to 40, 50, even 99 MPG.

Is your service engine light on?
  • g_alleng_allen Posts: 15
    I have been interested in getting a LaCrosse. My mother has one and she and my stepfather went on a summer vacation out West last year and she said they received 28 MPG. They have an '05 CX. Hope this helps.
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Posts: 197
    We just got back from a 400 mile (round-trip) to Kalamazoo, Michigan yesterday. Averaged about 27 MPG on the highway. It would have been even higher except for some slow-downs in construction zones. Not too shabby for a 5.3 liter V-8 engine with active fuel management. Around town, we averaged about 17-18 MPG.
  • bxdbxd Posts: 186
    When you say you averaged 27mpg, was that based on the average economy figure from the Driver's Information Center? When you weren't in changing traffic, what speed did you have the cruise set to?
    Yes. It was based on the average figure from the DIC. BTW, I forgot to mention it was the highest figure attained during the entire trip. Cruise was set to 65, even though the speed limit was 70.
  • g_alleng_allen Posts: 15
    Is it true that the DIC is a little optimistic when it comes to reporting MPG? I thought the Impalas SS/Grand Prix GXP/Lacrosse Super all got poor mileage? Several owners are reporting hwy. figures at around 23 mpg. Seems like these engines would do better. I know they rated them at 28 mpg under the old EPA methods which seemed a bit generous, but the new 24 mpg rating seems low....even for a V8 with AFM. I mean, it's still better than a Charger's/300C's EPA rating, but my cousin has a 300C and I have witnessed 26 MPG on the highway which it appears the 5.3 V8 cannot accomplish. Wonder if the Chrysler's do better because of the 5 speed auto. trans.?
    [quote] I mean, it's still better than a Charger's/300C's EPA rating, but my cousin has a 300C and I have witnessed 26 MPG on the highway which it appears the 5.3 V8 cannot accomplish.

[reply] I already said my LaX Super, with its 5.3 V8, got a maximum of 27 MPG on the highway during a recent long-distance trip.

[quote] Wonder if the Chrysler's do better because of the 5 speed auto. trans.?

[reply] The 300C's mileage may also depend on its final gear ratio. I think we can assume that all DICs work the same way. I read where the DIC relies on input from the PCM, which monitors the odometer and fuel consumption rates, and uses it for its MPG calculations.
  • I've got center vent noise on my '05 LaCrosse. Did you come up with a fix? The noise is like a buzzzzz, vibration....same thing by the vent to the left of the steering wheel.
  • beyrerbeyrer Posts: 3
    i had the same problem try replaceing your air filter that should help if your like me im a led foot and im telling you i noticed a huge diffrence once i replaced the filter its like $11.00 and super easy to put in.