Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LaCrosse Heating / Cooling Problems

frankkfrankk Posts: 35
I have a new CX. This is equipped with the basic A/C system (not the fancy thermostat, dual zone job). I have observed a few behaviors with the recirculate button (these only pertain when A/C is engaged):

1) When I start the car recirculate is always on.
2) Under hard acceleration recirculate turns off and turns back on upon ending accelaration.
3) If recirc is off it turns on after hard accelaration has ended.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? The owners manual says nothing about this.

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,048
    I don't have a service manual for the newer car but I would assume it's like the 200X leSabre/ParkAves. I have the auto air but manual should be same. When recir is selected manually, it turns off when car is off and restarted. I have never seen recir turn off when compressor clutch disengages during hard acceleration (to provide more power to wheels). I believe that probably is problem. Same for turning on after hard acceleration when compressor clutch is disengaged.

I think you need to document this with a work order under warranty with your dealer. I would suspect a bad control head or switch unit or even a flaw in the main computer that turns off the cluthc for the compressor.
  • frankkfrankk Posts: 35
    Thanks for your reply. I took the Lacrosse in this morning and they just called me. The official word is that those behaviors are intended. Anyway, the tech has offered to show me the documentation (manuals, etc.) to back this up.

I don't mind the recirc always being on when you start the car when the A/C is on, since this is what one might do anyway to cool the cabin quickly.

But I do not like the idea of recirc turning on by itself after heavy acceleration. I'll see what the tech's official explanation is for this one.
    When the car is hot relative to the outside temp I've noticed that recirculate comes on for a few minutes automatically on both cars BUT it does not turn the light on in the button to indicate that it's on. It's equivalent to the old MAX settings on earlier cars for cooling down immediately after starting then you used the typical air conditioning positions on the slide switches the rest of the time.

You indicated the light turns on. That's different than the Buicks I'm used to.
  • evandroevandro Posts: 1,108
    But I do not like the idea of recirc turning on by itself after heavy acceleration. I'll see what the tech's official explanation is for this one.

I think that someone has already said that it's probably because the AC compressor is shut down under hard acceleration. Then, on hot and humid days, if recirculation is not activated, you'd feel a blow of hot, humid air after a couple of seconds accelerating hard (as on a merge ramp).

As long as recirculation is deactivated when the foot lightens up, I actually think that it's a pretty cool feature.
  • frankkfrankk Posts: 35
    Here is the official word from the tech: It has to do with the position of the temperature control. When set to the coldest position, I get the "behavior". However, all it takes is to set it to one click above coldest and everything works as normal. The tech said that this is by design.
  • 62vetteefp62vetteefp Posts: 6,048
    I think the logic here is that since you have it on the coldest setting you want the coldest possible air which is recirc.
  • My 2005 Allure has 37000 kms on the odometer. I purchased it used about two weeks ago. I've noticed my AC takes a while to cool the car down. It seems like instant cold air isn't available. It can take up to 10 - 15 minutes to feel the full effect of the AC. However, once the AC comes up to speed it has no problems keeping the interior cool. I've tried all the settings including re-circulate at max fan speed.

I also tried all the old proven methods such as opening all the windows for a few minutes to expel the hot air etc.... This doesn't make any difference.

Is this normal for this car? My last vehicle was a 1999 Oldmobile Silhouette and I always had ample AC on demand.
  • It sounds like you have lost some refrigerant. Do you have the auto system or manual controls? The auto system does not come on with high fan speed normally and it may seem like it takes awhile to work. Don't let this go over the winter before getting it fixed as the refrigerant will continue to leak out. It contains a lubricant for the compressor. The system will run on defrost in the winter to clear the windshield on the inside. If the refrigerant gets too low you could damage the compressor. Your GM dealer should be able to find the leak and refill the system.
  • eiroceiroc Posts: 1
    I have a 05 buick lacrosse, one day the a/c just stopped blowing air. When I have it set to heater you can feel warm air through the vents depending on how fast I am driving. Besides that no matter if I have the fan blowing at its lowest or max it will not do anything. I've heard about the blower motor, resister, and modules but I do not know were to find them. If you have any suggestion I would greatfully appreciate your help
  • NazPasNazPas Posts: 2
    I am having the ecact same problem in my 2005 Buick Lacrosse. Where is the blower motor located. Can someone that knows little about cars fix it himself?
  • NazPasNazPas Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Buick LaCrosse. Last night when I got into the car the heater would not blow any air. It would not work withthe AC either. On highway speeds you can feel a tiny amount of air from the defrost vents. However it is 2 degrees in Illinois and my tows were numb last night. Please help. I would lie to fix this myself if it is something a novice could do. Possibly the blower motor? Where is it located?
  • I recently purchased an 05 LaCrosse and it seems that no matter what button I press (be it fan only, heat, defrost, etc.) the A/C button comes on. How do I get the A/C to not come on ?
    Have you read the owner's manual on operating the HVAC?

When the AC turns on per settings, it's probably turned off by pushing the AC button and the light will go off. In defrost the compressor will be turned on always down to the ambient shutoff of about 50 deg. F.

Having the AC turn on is not a negative. It reduces humidity in the air and reheats it with the heater core to give a more comfortable system. When the outside temp is below 50 deg. F. the compressor does not turn on, so the AC is not actually cooling the air (50 is colder than it could cool it anyhow).
  • My 2010 LaCrosse intermitantly blows cold air when the controls are set to manual (air conditioning off), no recirculation and air to blow out the vents. It will blow very cold air for a minute or so and then go back to the outside air temp. It will periodically repeat itself. I have taken it to the dealer twice and they say "It is operating Normally." I know that is not true. Has any had similar experiances? Any solutions?
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Posts: 1,380
    Not sure exactly what you are saying.
    You've put it in a manual mode.
    You've pushed a button or something telling the A/C pump to not engage.
    You still get cold air as if the pump is running.
    Does that sound right?
    If you are in a defog or defrost mode it generally overides the A/C off switch. If outside temp is near freezing the pump will not engage.
    Can you hear the click that occurs when the pump engages and disengages? That is have you verified the pump is actually running?
    The previous post is right.

In defrost and some defog settings with floor air and windshield air the compressor is enabled if the ambient temps are warm enough. There is a cutoff, possibly about 50 degrees for the compressor being able to run in other modes asking for AC cooling. But in defroster / defog mix it may be lower.

Your next step is to open the hood when the outside temps are above 50 and start the car with the heater settings where you're getting the cold blast. Then go to the front of the car and look to see if the center hub of the compressor is turning with the belt pulley or if it's disengaged.

Also you can touch the metal freon tube going to the condenser unit that's in front of the radiator. One of those tubes will be hot if the AC compressor is running. The other silver tube will be cool. They may have plastic coating over them to help insulate, so they may not be silver/aluminum color.

If the tube is hot you know the compressor is cooling.

It's possible there is an intentional short term engagement of the compressor when the car is set for vents under the conditions you describe. It may be to circulate freon in winter months to keep the seals oiled with the lubricant so they don't dry and shrink.

Good luck. Tell us what you find when you test out the system.
  • jlim1jlim1 Posts: 50
    I am looking for source of part number and manufacturer of the heater core quick disconnect tool. The Buick LaCrosse ('10~'11MY) uses the quick connect to secure the heater core pipes to the coolant hoses. I believe there is a service disconnect kit/tool out there, possibly made by SPX/OTC or Mac Tool.

This plastic disconnect kit/tool for LaCrosse has got to be larger than that OTC 6046 which is the tool to remove the conventional quick connects used in the GM trucks. The 6046 is too small to go on the Buick version.

If anyone knows, please advise. Thank you.
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Posts: 1,380
    edited October 2010
    Have you tried NAPA?
    Why are you wanting to do a disconnect on a vehicle that is so new?
    Also Rock Auto and GM Parts Direct may be sources if you have a part number. But carefully read the rules of GM Parts Direct.
    You may also try ordering it through the dealer's part center. If it is a special tool, they likely order theirs direct from who made them for GM.
  • doug2011doug2011 Posts: 1
    Buick LaCrosse 2010
    AC Compressor is on all the time even when you turn off the AC button on the dash. Is this normal for the compressor all the time?