Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln LS Audio

My 2000 LS V8 with approximately 42000 mi has a radio noise problem. In addition to the station I've tuned in or CD I'm playing the speakers are transmitting the sound of the spark plugs firing. When you rev up the engine you can actually hear it through the speaker system. (When the engine is off radio plays beautifully.) I evidently have a radio frequency (RF) shielding problem. Has anyone else experienced this and do you know what was repaired/replaced to cure the problem? Was it near the antenna or near the radio?

Comments

• gwg1gwg1 Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. Not only is it intermittent but it comes and goes when I hit bumps! I've had it in to the dealer 4 or 5 times. The first problem was getting it to occur when the dealer had the car. Then they replaced the amp twice. It's still there and they can't fix it. I also have a new problem. I get static on the radio at the high and low end of the FM band when I turn the rear window defroster on.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,747
    Have the dealer check for TSBs on faulty ground connections.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,313
    You don't say, but I'm guessing you've got the Alpine upgrade (with the subwoofers). I've had the same problem, once under warranty and once right now.

It certainly has all the earmarks of a bad ground and/or internal connection, given the way it comes & goes when hitting bumps. The wizard who "repaired" it under warranty replaced the subwoofer amp, and it did go away. . .for awhile.

Last summer, as I was rolling south through Nevada listening to a book on tape, it reappeared. In the ensuing months, I've learned that the single best way to make it go away (for up to a week) is to open the trunk & give the subwoofer amplifier a sharp rap with my hand. So far, it's worked every time. . .for awhile.

I'm not sure what's in the Service Bulletin, but over the break next week I intend to have a careful look at how the amp is mounted & whether star washers and/or a grounding strap might be in order.

After all, I don't want this "issue" to appear while I'm trying to sell my poor orphaned LS, which I'm hoping to do in the next ~year. It may only be worth $1.87, but if the audio system goes South during the test drive. . .
  • I have a 00 LS V8 with 80K. This problem sounds similar to one recently posted by someone saying their radio was playing the spark plug firing. I just had my car in to replace the sway bar and bushings. In the process, I had them replace the battery. Ever since then, I have gotten the weird feedback from the radio. I took it back in and they couldn't find anything, in fact in the process of their inquiry, the sound went away. Since then, a week has passed and it has come and gone. If I disconnect the amp for the subwoofers, the sound is gone, but then no bass. Otherwise the radio works fine. Could this be something with the battery, or the way its hooked up? Any suggestions would be appreciated!!
    Recheck the battery cables and all connections in the trunk area. Sounds like a loose ground.
  • 2000mtx2000mtx Posts: 10
    You mean the rapid "Tick, Tick, Tick...." noises?

My dealer replaced my radio (under warranty)quoting "electrical problems".

Funny thing?
    Some times my stereo lights stop working on the new stereo.
  • taglertagler Posts: 2
    I had the same problem on my 00 LS. The problem is ignition noise being induced on the 12VDC supply to the speaker power amp mounted under the rear deck. I placed a 200 picofarad capacitor accross the supply at the connect to this amp this and it fixed it.
    Tim Agler
  • taglertagler Posts: 2
    Correction - the capacitor I used accross the supply was a 200 micofarad capacitor
    Tim Agler
  • ejenkins1ejenkins1 Posts: 1
    hey guys, having some problems from factory stereo in 01. Just bought it with 72k, and doing since test drive. The sound system has this crazy reverb, echo sound...Played with all the settings and cant change it...is something wrong???

Please help if you can.
    It's a DSP mode. Check the owner's manual for specific instructions on changing it.
  • I recently installed a used factory 6 Disc Alpine Radio CD Changer in my 2000 LS. Radio works fine but having problems with the CD player.Can not get the CD tray to open to load a cd. If I hit the eject button the 6 cd circles blink for which one to select. As soon as you select a #, it says CD error. Tried hitting the load button and that says slots full. I can not get the tray to open. Anyone have any ideas?
  • I am having the exact same problem with the Alpine CD player in my 2002 Lincoln LS. Have you figured out they problem yet or have you had any answers to your questions?
  • I know you posted this last year-- my LS is doing same thing... it almost sounds like there is no bass... is that what yours sounded like? did the DPS change fix the problem?

Thanks
    Mine didn't do it. If it's not the DSP settings then the subwoofer amp may have gone out.
  • I was wondering if anyone has instructions on how to replace the rear deck speakers on an 02 LS with the Audiophile System. Any help will be greatly appreciated
  • mseviermsevier Posts: 1
    The automatic lighting system for my alpine stereo in my 2001 Lincoln town Car does not work correctly. Normally only the display lights up. The lights for the controls come on from time-to-time but not as they should. Any ideas on a fix??
  • My speakers have absolutely no base in my 2000 ls, i have the alpine factory speakers any ideas?
    Replacing the factory speakers will help. Infinity or Polk Audio are good choices. 5x7s.
  • lukelohanlukelohan Posts: 1
    hi all,
    my 2000 lincoln ls has the premium alpine system in it still, and it plays fine. the only problem is that the display is completley blank. im thinking the leds might have broke or somehitng, but there is absouloutley nothing on the screen, its just always blac. Please Help!
    Same thing happened to mine. You have to replace the head unit. I found one on Ebay for $50 shipped.
  • spadez1spadez1 Posts: 2
    anyone have a diagram or know how to remove the stock 6x9s in the back of a 2002 lincoln ls ... not the door speakers the rear ones.. thanks.. email me if u want .. be greatly appr.

spadez_hiphop@hotmail.com
    From the trunk - where else?
  • spadez1spadez1 Posts: 2
    thats what i thought the guy at best buy said u gotta remove the back seats side.. b ack side panels etc. i looked from the trunk it looks like there bolted in from the top
  • Hi, I have an 01 lincoln ls and I just recently started having problems with my cd player. I loaded a cd and then the player read cd error and now I try to eject cd or play cd it reads cd error and when I start car radio takes almost like 30 seconds to turn on. Can dealership fix or will I have to buy I new one?
    Ask your dealer who does their radio repair - it's not the dealership. Normally they use a local shop. You can try to get it repaired there or you can try to find a used one on Ebay.
  • Hi, thank you very much. I was about to buy one ebay but I called dealership and they did refer me to a shop. Hopefully the repair will be less then buying a new one. Ill see what they say tommorrow. Thanks again.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,313
    I've had factory radios pack up more than once on long trips, and it's a . . . well, let's just say, a problem.

Once with the minivan in Colorado I took a short trip to Denver to have the book-on-tape cassette removed from the unit, followed by installation of a refurbished unit. Had a similar situation with my LS a couple of years ago, this time in Edmonton.

As Allen has pointed out, the car guys don't know from audio equipment, but they always have a captive car audio shop that does. Of course, this only works in relatively large cities. If you have a problem in Moab or Casper, you're probably on your own (YOYO).

Good luck.
    I was able to buy a replacement head unit for a 2000 Audiophile system off ebay for $53 shipped. Mine worked fine but the display went out so you couldn't tell what you were doing as far as menus or other adjustments. Of course it's always a crap shoot with ebay, so I'd give them a shot at fixing it first.
  • the shop I took it to and fixed it in about 4 days, price was about 170. Even though ebay has them for around 100 I figure getting the old one fixed is better because for one I had 6 cd s in there. That's 100 worth right there alone plus the give a 1 year warrenty. Thanks for the help
  • flawlsflawls Posts: 2
    I was going to get a factory 6 disc cd player on Ebay but you never know the quality or even if it is working when you get one off of there.