Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln LS Transmission Problems

Comments

• akirbyakirby Posts: 7,740
    That is the standard repair procedure and yes - they've heard of it before. It's not a common problem but it's happened more than a few times. It should fix it.
  • rbardrbard Posts: 3
    The solenoid pack did not fix my transmission problem. Received 2nd call from dealer stating the S. Pack helped but they think the trans. also has a broken spring in the valve body. Since we have only owned the car for 5 months our WONDERFUL dealer is taking care of the problem. Still feel like we are headed for a new transmission.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,305
    ah, never mind.
    We know, Steve, we know....... ;)
  • I took my :sick: car to a dealer in the spring for trouble with shifting and high RPM's and they said the computer needed several updates, they took care of this and a week later the rpm's were up again(reving during driving), and I took it back, they update the computer again, now 4 months later I took it back again, and now they say it has lost or is missing 4th gear? Lost gear? where did it go?

Codes from the computer are; P0734, P0735, P07945, these came from the dealer who said it may cost as much as 3500
    Find a more competent dealer.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,648
    735 is "improper 4th gear ratio".

Their explanation/diagnosis is unsatisfactory. I'm sure they have a whole series of diagnostics they can run on your transmission before condemning it. Line pressure? Leak in accumulator? Maybe you do need to go elsewhere. This could be electronic or internal.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• zieskezieske Posts: 2
    Hello I have a 2002 Lincoln LS V8 that I have owned for two years with 65k mi. A few days ago while I was driving the check transmission came on along with the check engine light and the E on the gear shift indicator. I first wanted to check the fluid but found out after looking in the manual how hard that would be. I finaly understand how the draining and filling works and i never seen a dipstick behind the passenger front axle. I decided to take it to the quick lube and explained to the tech that I wanted to first check the fluid. We loosened the inner pan bolt and bright red fluid came dripping down.I thought at that point it was full(also no leaks). I took it to the certified transmission becauce they said free dionostics and checks. The codes were explained to me as followed P0734(gear4ratio)
    P0735(gear5ratio)P0791(internal shift speed cencior A-circuit)P0795(pcsc pressure)P1270(engine speed limiter). They said internal failure needs rebuilt at the tune of $2700 and that the bands for 4th and 5th gear were probley damaged. Also they handed me a cup with brown fluid and said this was my fluid(wasnt red like the day before). I asked them about the s-pack and he told me that if I replaced that it wouldnt fix it becauce the gear ratio codes were first in the order. I told them I needed a second opinion so Im going to bring it to the dealer. I wanted your opinion in the matter and if the order of the codes mattered? The (yellow)engine light goes off with a full tank of 92 octaine. It will shift into 4th if you going slow. After the car is turned off it resets everything and you start the procces over. After the "E" comes on even the lower gears are felt when shifting but not before. Could you give me some advise?? Please. I love this car and have no warrenty.
    My advice is take it to the dealer for a second opinion.
  • zieskezieske Posts: 2
    I was hoping for a little more info from you but thanks anyway. I did trans service over the weekend and changed filter. I got 4th gear back and now it flips back from d5 to E so thats an improvement. The dealer is so exspensive! I was debateing a rebuilt one with 1 year warrenty for $250 plus shipping. By the time all the tests and every thing its almost worth buying rebuilt? I want the cheapest way out becauce Im making $511 amonth payment with new baby. I live 3 miles from work should that hurt it driving the back roads?
  • lanbabalanbaba Posts: 45
    I've got a used 2006 LS V8 which has around 15K on it. I got the car when it has around 5K. I noticed from the begining that when I hit the gas a little hard from stop, the first 2 gears always seems a little hesitate (whether in auto or ss mode), but once it gets into 3rd gear and the speed picks up(over 35mph) everything is fine, the accelerate is smooth, and the car response very well with the gas. It seems to me the car is lack of torque at low speed or sth else? :confuse:
  • I have a 2004 Lincoln LS, 71000 miles. I started having problems when I would put my car in reverse gear, the car would jerk. At times when I would drive the car, it seemed the car was not getting any gas when I accelerated. I would have to pull over and restart the car. I took my car to Ford Lincoln Mercury and was told the solenoid pack needed to be replaced at the tune of $990. After the mechanic, took the casing off of the solenoid pack, he informed me that there was metal in the pan. He then advised that I would need a new or rebuilt transmission in the tune of $3300.

Prior to that I had $900 worth of service done due to a noise coming from the engine.

I think we all should go together and do a class action law suit. Only 3 years old, still making payments and steadily going to the shop.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,305
    ". . .we all should go together . . . class action law suit. . ."

Who is that we you're talking about? Got a mouse in your pocket?

In case you hadn't noticed, the LS wasn't exactly a colossal success & is no longer in production. Most of the transmissions at least worked, but beyond that, the bulk of the people who ended up driving the car couldn't tell the difference. I'm going to guess that you didn't pay exactly a fortune for this thing.

Good luck.
  • I have a 2003 Lincoln LS with 1,25000 KMs on it and im having a little issue with the transmission, 2nd to 3rd gear switch often gives me a jerk (Kick) when i drive it after few hours or in the morning, and then another kick when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd,even tho all of it goes away when engine is warmed up but still i am concerned abotu it as i bought the car used like a month ago,shud i get rid of the car? or its nothing and jus a small defect that wont cause a lott of transmission trouble? :cry:
  • I bought a 2000 LS it was hit in the front but dont know why my problem would reflect this but when you take my car out of park and out into drive its like its still in neutral but you pull it back into 1st gear its fine but you still have to shift through all the gears but after it gets into overdrive its fine, it will kick into passin gear and back down into over drive again but if you come to a stop or stop light you have to pull it back inot 1st gear again??? I would like to know my problem and know how much its gonna cost? anybody have any ideas?
  • yeah well my car is the 3.9 V8 and it has 86,000 on it but other than everything else the car is in perfect condition
  • hey trayburn did you ever figure out what was wrong with the car?? i have the same problem with my lincoln...
  • hey trayburn did you ever figure out what was wrong with your ls?? i have the same problem... thanx
  • ccicakccicak Posts: 13
    Just curious how your LS tranny issue was resolved (or is it). My '02 3.9L with 55k miles is acting up similar to yours. I had tranny rebuilt under warranty by dealer at 20k miles but now at 55k it's acting up again. I changed fluid and filter last month (fluid was just slightly brownish compared to new but did not smell burnt) and changed fluid again this week. But it's still shifting rough and "check tranny" light comes on. What finally fixed yours?
    Craig
  • yes my problem was resolved..the torque converter was changed and 2 coils were misfiring,they were replaced,all was covered warranty :) ..that fixed the hesitation and the transmission runs perfect..also...try to use sunoco gasoline with 94 octane....your can will run excellent.. :)
  • Hi Group,

I just recently had a small leak on one of the transmission hoses going to the cooler in front of the car, it was a slightly loose hose clamp. That is fixed now, but kind of worried about the transmission fluid level in the car. The leak wasn't big at all, but still wondering if I shouldn't check the level. And with it being an enclosed transmission like it is, I was wonder if anyone had some steps in checking the oil level? Steps in changing the oil?

Would like to do the work myself as I have a shop setup for minor auto work.

Thanks for any information!
    You check the fluid level by removing fill plugs just as you would with a manual transmission. It's not easy to do at home. And you need to have the fluid flushed and replaced using the cooler lines which gets 95% of the old fluid out. No need to drop the pan.
  • hello i have 2002 av...had tranny re-build in 2005...at 52.000miles..but now im having problem with THAT botton that i have to press to move in to gear.Some days is fine and some i have to turn on and off my car few times and then i can press it and then move to drive or reverse..Im not having problems with tranny so what that could be?PLEASE tell me i dont have get new tranny...please...car drives good ones im driving//besides other :-) I have 98.000miles on :confuse:
    Is it the button on the shifter knob that won't depress? If so then you probably just need a new shifter (not the tranny itself). If the button depresses but it won't move anyway then it's probably the brake interlock. See if the brake lights work when this happens.
  • hallo people i got a 02 ls and my problem is when im goin fast and then suddenly i make a stop or i go into a small curve tha car goes into a neutral position like if i put it in neutral i wait for a couple of seconds and gets the gear again does any body gots the same problem or knows whats goin on thanks
    I've got '02 also with tranny problems. I had it rebuilt by dealer under warrany at 20k miles, but acting up again at 50k. Not sure what to tell you except have tranny codes diagnosed. I still haven't but changed my fluid and filter with no improvement. Mine shifts rough, sometimes smells (burnt), sometimes delays when shifting into gears. Fluid does not look brown or burnt however. I'll probably have my codes diagnosed when i get the money if it doesn't quit on me before then.
  • ls03torls03tor Posts: 5
    hey is there anyone who had this similar problem with their car, my 03 ls makes a wierd noise like its not gettin enough gas at certain rpms...around 2500 its a knocking sound from the pistons....anyone knows how to fix this problem or what is wrong with the car? :confuse:
  • rubycruzrubycruz Posts: 6
    :lemon: :confuse: Hello! I just bought my 04 LS. Have had it less than a month...I love everything about as of now BUT when I shift from Reverse to Park it makes a loud kind of popping/knocking sound and shifts to park from reverse pretty harsh. Is this normal? Did I buy a lemon? If it happens to be a big problem (tranny) do I have to keep this car? I know I could ask the dealership but I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions. Am I in for alot of work to this LS? I am beginning to think I made the wrong decision.....
    HELP!
    my '02 LS V8 Sport has had tranny issues and continues to have issues. I just don't have the $ right now to fix it, but it shifts harsh from first to second, and also clunks sometimes going from drive to reverse or vice-versa (automatic transmission). I think this is a poorly designed tranny, or poor manufacturing quality. However, mine was rebuilt at 20K miles, and now at 55K acting up again, so I think it's the design.
    CC
  • rubycruzrubycruz Posts: 6
    Thanks CC. I have read alot in this forum and I'm relieved to see that it's just not me. Although Im definatley not happy about this...I just hope the Ford Dealership (where I bought it) doesn't tell me with a smile "there's nothing wrong with it"! I'm a young woman and don't know too much about cars so I am a little discouraged right now. If there is a major problem then I am hoping I can just get my trade in and my deposit back! :confuse: