Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln LS Transmission Problems

Comments

• Last night I was driving my car home and it seemed to be running just fine and all of a sudden the temperature light turned red, the check engine light came on yellow and I got a warning that said something like "Operating at Reduced Engine Speed" and the car automatically slowed and wouldn't accelerate. When I got out and checked it did not smell or feel hot. The only recent change has been the installation of a new battery on November 9th. Does anyone know what this could be? I will appreciate any advice as I have been inundated with repairs for this vehicle and I am tired of being ripped.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,730
    Could be a bad thermostat but not likely. But it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and change it. Check the coolant level in the overflow bottle - they've been known to crack and when the coolant level gets a little low it creates steam pockets. The steam is under pressure and is hotter than the regular coolant so when that passes by the temp sensor it registers as an overheat and the engine goes into limp home mode to prevent damage. The other possibility is a bad temp sensor or wire.
  • its a rear wheel and from lincoln to bmw all cars sink....hold the brake a little harder when putting it in drive and u wont feel it much...i actually asked my ford/lincoln mechanic about this and thats what he told me.
    i have a 03-3.0 as well and sinks the same way so does my other buddies who have 02 and 05 v8s
    ;)
  • well it seemed to work when i got home the other day i had disconnected the battery, to reset the comp.now the car is downshifting like it should. thank you very much for the info.
    Sometimes resetting the PCM does cause it to shift better, but why is a mystery because it's not supposed to work that way. There must be a flaw in the algorithm that adjusts the shift pressures over time.
  • i have a 00 lincoln i replaced the engine, now the car starts to buck around 40 mph and up inclines. would this be the transmission or a bad coil?
  • recently i have been letting my car sit for 3 or 4 days and when i go to start itthe engine light comes on and will start flashing, but will stop flashing as i start to drive, but the engine light stays on, and will stay on for about a day or so, then it will go out. now if i drive the car every day the light will not come on its only when i let it sit for 3-4 days in the elements, what would the problem be, the cop or water in the fuel any insight would help alot
    It's a long shot but it could be a leaky fuel injector that build up extra fuel over 3-4 days that needs to be burned off. You should have the codes pulled - Autozone does it for free. Can't think of anything else in the fuel system that would show up after 3 days but not overnight.
  • only when idleing every few seconds i hear a grinding/hissing noise but when i stop it progresseis into a deisle engine/boiling noise wtf? also when im using tiptronic it dosnt let me use first gear? yet it does somtimes?
  • well the 5r55n trans that comes on this car is a very strong tranny and the main problems they give are valve body probs...take it t a trans shop and have it checked out
  • bauxbaux Posts: 8
    i just baught a 2000 lincoln ls, when im reving the engine and it gets to about 3000 rpm it starts to sputter and the rev skips causing the car to shake a bit i also notice it seems sluggish when i pin it not too much power and it seems to putter a bit and ideas?
    That's the rev limiter - it's supposed to stop at 3000 rpm when in neutral or park. It keeps you from destroying the transmission by dropping it into gear at high rpm.
  • bauxbaux Posts: 8
    Thank you. I was a little worried I got ripped off, I'm assuming I just need a tun up and it will drive a little smoother.
    If you experience loss of power or other engine problems while driving it might be the COPs (coil on plugs).
  • koehnkoehn Posts: 1
    HI I was wondering if anyone could tell me if a fluid flush would help me! I have an 04 V6 with over 84,000 miles. It is shifting very hard into the second and third gears and when I stop and the shops all tell me that it is gonna be a $2,000-$2,400 repair but they are all calling my problem slippage but it is not slipping it is just shifting hard! So would a flush or a fluid change help me at all or would it just be a waste of $$$?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,352
    I think a flush would be a waste but a fluid change +filter or screen clean, and a conditioner additive might help---certainly worth a try. Were any codes read for the TCM to give an indication of trouble areas? Do you have the #s of these codes. If no codes were read, which crystal ball are they using?

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Ford uses a machine to change the fluid now - it uses the transmission cooler lines to pull out old fluid and insert new fluid - changes almost 100% of the fluid. Dropping the pan doesn't get anywhere near that much old fluid out, even if you drain the torque converter. And according to an old transmission engineer buddy, if you have enough crap in there to clog up the filter it's already Tango Uniform, so don't worry about it.
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Posts: 593
    "koehn", there were issues with some of the earlier years' transmissions having issues with the solenoids in the valve body. My wife's 2000 LS had these issues about 3-4 years ago, however the car was still under the extended warranty I purchased through the dealer, so it was a covered repair.

I'm not positive if this issue was adressed in later model LSes. However, I'm not sure if I'd want just any shop rummaging around my transmission, given the complexity of the 55RN transmission. This might be one instance where I would lean toward having the dealer look at it....
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,352
    Thanks for that update. I was still wondering how they came to the "slip" diagnosis.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Let's just say it was probably still steaming when it came out.....
  • rhtransrhtrans Posts: 84
    Fluid change will certainly not help a harsh shift & you are right its not a slip. It's obvious the computer is having problems controlling line pressure...it can have harsh shifts with no codes present but certainly need 2 know if there are any present. I've seen a few times a simple plastic checkball in the valvebody beat itself to almost nothin and can't seat properly causing erratic line pressure in a 5R55N.To properly diagnose the problem a gauge and scanner would be needed. Then again they are also very bad about tearing up the O/D section dispersing metal thru thu unit and causing the same problem..just hasn't gotten bad enough to cause heavier symptoms...get a few more opinions from other shops.
  • ls01_333ls01_333 Posts: 4
    my 2001 lincoln ls has a mystery problem. i have read a few similar stories on here but havent seen an actual solution to the problem. engine light came on, and sometimes it will heat up a little bit more than it should. i had a mechanic friend with diagnostic computer look at it, came up with a bad solenoid pack. he switched it out with a new one, which came up bad when he tested itout. put in another solenoid pack and i got my car back. the engine light soon came back on and the overheating issue went on. he was nice enough to take the car back and look into why the solenoid packs kept failing. he eventually found out that there was a broken cable in the transmission and rewired it. i got my car back, and a few days later the engine light came back on and it will still run a lil on the warm side. The car runs perfectly fine, if not for the engine light i would think it was in perfect condition. anyone that has had the same problem, please let me know what action you took and what did or did not help. very much appreciated
    You need a new mechanic.
    Thank you for your input, it is not exactly what i am looking for. The mechanic is not the problem- he is a very clever and honest guy (friend of the fam) and he has top of the line diagnostic equipment. yes- this issue has him stumped..it also has stumped other mechanics and even dealers according to some stories ive read online.
    The problem is that my car is telling his computer that it has a bad solenoid pack. the code points to that. I am looking to see if any other lincoln owners have had similar problems with solenoid pack codes coming up, even after being switched out with a new one. I would like to hear their stories, and if im lucky, a solution.
    Thank you.
    A bad solenoid (or most any other transmission problem) would cause driveability problems and in most cases would not throw a check ENGINE light. Your mechanic is misinterpreting the CEL code. If you can get the actual code that's being registered someone might be able to point you in the right direction. Otherwise you should try a Lincoln dealer who knows how to fix these particular vehicles.
  • brucelincbrucelinc Posts: 814
    Solenoid pack replacement is not uncommon on these but you should notice transmission misbehavior - not a check engine light. Overheating would not be an indication of a bad solenoid pack either. Often, the first indication of a bad solenoid pack is poor shift quality - sometimes a shudder on upshifts.

As akirby said, I would have a Lincoln dealer pull the code and see if they do not get a different result than your friend. You could even take it to Autozone and have the code pulled for free. I think the solenoid pack replacement is barking up the wrong tree.
    autozone- fo freee? who woulda thought... i will do just that, hopefully it will give me a better idea of what i need to get done. yea- no shift problems that i know are more than my imagination, only once, about a yr ago did the transmission warning come up on the dash... but when i started up next time it never came back, so i didnt worry about it.
    in response to akirby- the computer he has i saw was a snap-on, and i dont know much about any diagnostic equip, but i read up on the snapons like he has, and supposedly they give the description, not just error code. but i guess its still possible to misinterpret.
    i follwed up with him, he said when he switched out the pack and it kept coming up on his comp, he actually called ford to help troubleshoot (i would assume he went over with ford everything he did for the car and what came up on his comp each time)- thats when they told him to check the cable connecting the pack to the cars computer... he found the broken cable and rewired. thats just a more detailed fill in...but either way thanks again to all, and ill repost w/ any updates.
    Sounds like he has a decent handle on it, but even the best can be wrong about this stuff. As for the CEL codes - they don't tell you what to replace or what to fix - they can only tell you the symptom. e.g. An 02 sensor out of range could either mean the 02 sensor needs to be replaced or there is some problem in the engine - no way to know without further testing.

If fixing the cable didn't get rid of the code then that wasn't the problem. Get the code and post it and we can at least give you some ideas.

You might still want to take it to a Lincoln dealer. They know these cars inside out.
  • Maybe somebody can help me... My car has 68k miles and the other day at highway speed (70) she just bogged down and "e" light came on I got off the highway and shut it down.After 15 mins or so I fired it up and she drove fine... haven't had the problem since.. Also strange noise @ 60mph that seems to go away when you turn the wheel to the left..gets bad when turn to right...
  • I don't think the solenoid has anything to do with your overheating issue. My Lincoln did the same thing for quite some time and i discovered that it was low on coolant, and the area between the transmission cooler and radiator was filled with dead grass and leaves. I cleaned out the area, and topped off my coolant and haven't had that issue since. I hope that gives you an idea of what to look at :)