Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln LS Starting/Stalling

Comments

• dmar1dmar1 Posts: 3
    Turns out the alternator had high resistance. It was able to deliver some charging amperage but at low output, that's why the charging light did not report a problem. Even a check on the charging system said the alternator was in spec. However, when everything is on while driving the battery would slowly discharge . Swapped out the alternator and all is well. Make sure dielectric grease is applied to the connector, the alternator is mounted very low and subject to road splash causing corrosion.

Went to Certigard in SE Calgary, $118 for labour and I provided a new 110Amp unit from Alternator and Supply Depot for $120 after core exchange ($50), so $238 total. Hope this helps others with the same problem.
  • I have been dealing with the same issue for over a year now....the dealer just replaced the fuel pump....they told me that their diagnostic machine finally was able to read the problem....I am taking it back in because after $550. it still has a slow start and I have to crank on it!
  • I have an 02 v8. I go out in the morning and try to start it and it cranks but doesn't turn over. This is really wierd. I let the fan run for about five minutes and go out and pump the gas aobut 30 times and it starts right up. The mechanic said the fuel filter was fine. The tranny has all been replaced. New battery. Spark plugs were all fine. The mechanic says the security system may not be recognizing my key? I have had to have it jumped a couple of times after wearing down the battery trying to start it. It does fine in warm weather but in the cold is when I have this problem. Is the ingnition switch the problem or the wires behind it?
  • Kind of a wierd problem, but after you engage the cruise control on my 2000 Lincoln LS then slow to stop when you start to go again the car stutters and acts like it misses. Then when you stop again and start going everything is fine until you activate the cruise control again and repeat the process.

It does this when the A/C is on or off and there are no check engine lights or anything on to give me a
    read as to what is causing the miss.

Thanks for any help,
    Phil
  • Okay, Where do I start? We live in the country and what I think was maybe a squirrel or something, got under the hood and chewed up the vacuum hose and three small round things on the top drivers side of the motor. So my husband fixed everything, the car ran for about a day and a half and now when you start it, it will run for about 7 or 8 seconds and then either shuts straight off or sputters around a few seconds then dies!!! My car is a 2000 Lincoln LS V6. Can someone help us please?
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,747
    Sounds like he didn't really fix everything, or he put something back incorrectly. You'll probably need a mechanic to figure it out if it isn't obvious.
    I don't remember exactly how the cruise control works, but it sounds like something on the cruise control isn't disengaging properly until you manually hit the throttle again. Check the throttle linkage.
  • jlclsjlcls Posts: 2
    I have an issue with cold weather starts. The engine cranks but won't start and then the car alarm goes off! I had this happen three times in a row. People in the parking lot were of course staring at me. After sitting for about 20 minutes I finally got the car started. Does anyone have any ideas about the cause of this issue? :confuse:
  • brucelincbrucelinc Posts: 814
    I was driving my LS home last night and all of a sudden the engine died. It would crank and start for a second and die again. The temps in Minneapolis have been around zero or below and I had less than a quarter tank of fuel so I suspected gas line freeze. Of course, I also feared fuel pump failure or some other expensive problem.

I had the car flat-bedded to the dealer where they parked it inside for the night. This morning, it still wouldn't start and stay running. They ran their usual tests and fuel and electrical systems were A-OK. The problem? A big fat bug of some species had found his way into the mass air flow sensor. They cleaned his carcass out of there and it runs fine.

Always check the simple stuff first.
  • I have this exact problem except it is not isolated to cold weather. It has been going on for 6 months. Please relay the fix if you get one. :confuse:
  • Did you find anything out about your starting problem? I am experiencing the same problem and don't know what to do next. The car has good fuel pressure and is getting spark, but will not fire up. Any information on this issue would greatly be appreciated
  • cory7cory7 Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 LS. When I get up in the morning and try to start my car up and takes about 10 seconds for it to turn over(start up). And when it starts up I can get a strong fuel smell from cranking it. But if I was to jut turn the car off and then start it back up within a few minutes it will turn right on. But let me let it sit for a couple hours then it starts doing it again(taking forever to start up). Can someone please give me some info on what the problem can be.And yes my CEL is on.And it jus reads that I am having a misfire. But I know that the misfire cannot be causing my car to have sart up problems.
  • Check your battery. Go to a shop and have them load test it. If you have a dying/dead cell it will behave like that.
  • cory7cory7 Posts: 2
    i got the battery recharged before and i still have the problem.
    Leaky fuel injector.
  • I have a 2001 ls v8 and every once in awile it stalls if i just crank it it wont start but if i turn the ingnition off then crank it it will start back and be fine for awile i've changed the fuel filter and the spark plugs with no luck can anybody help me
    Not sure, but check the fuel pressure - could be the fuel pump.
  • I had a mechanic tell me that sometimes if the battery is weak that it will take to long to start the car and that is what makes the alarm go off. I replaced the battery and haven't had a problem since!
  • I bought my 2000 LS a year and half ago and had problems the first winter. It started off by not starting after refueling. I would have to try 3 or 4 times for it to finally start. It also struggles to start in the cold. Then i had problems idling, occassionally the car would jsut sputter then shut off whiel sitting at an intersection. Finally, when i accel hard to start off, or if i accel moderatly when i get to the speed of about 40 mph, the car shifts and begins to studder unless i accel very slowly. This only happens until i get up to about 50, but still happens if i accel hard. Can anyone give me some help on what may be wrong? I have taken it to multiple places and they blame one thing or another with no avail.
    Sounds like the fuel pump. There are 2 of them in the fuel tank. Check those and replace the fuel filter.
  • whats up guys
    i bought a Lincoln LS 01 with 41,000 miles
    after a week of having it it started messing up
    i was driving down the street at night then all of a sudden my stereo turned off and i wasnt able to turn it back on.
    Then all the lights on the car turned off and the gages went down to zero and didnt tell me how fast i was going
    it just stayed at zero
    i got to a gas station and turned of the car and when i tryed to turn it back on it wouldnt
    so i bought a new battery for it and it worked but after a day it did the same thing
    so we changed the alternater
    and it worked but then it did it again
    any idea whats going on?
  • did you ever get it fixed?
    cause i have the excat same problem
    we bought a new battery and changed the altinater
    and yet it seems to do the same
  • I have a lincoln ls 02 and hav had many problems that ford dealerships cant fix or any other car places that are well known. It hesitates to start randomly, misses as if it has cut off for a split second in the cold weather, there is a knocking in the front end but when I hit my breaks it stops. Now my check engine light is on along with the airbag light and it studders when I hit inbetween 45 and 60mph. I have it at yet another ford dealership with another $700+ bill and the rest is yet to be told. I hope they fix it this time. It seems if the diagnostic machine they put these cars on doesnt say whats wrong then these new technicians can't figure out the real problem. I will post if the issues have been resolved and what was done when I get the car back Friday or Saturday. Until then I can only hope someone knows what they are doing or the car is just crap :confuse:
    The diagnostic tests only give the symptoms - it's up to the mechanic to diagnose and fix the problem. Sounds like your mechanic isn't that great. Maybe taking it to a Ford dealer is part of the problem - this car is very different than other Fords because it shares a platform and engines with the Jag S-type. You might want to try a Lincoln dealer.

If it's a V6 change the pcv valve. It's most likely the COPs - coil on plug. Have they replaced all of them yet?
  • I have brought the car to many different dealerships, so as far as a crappy mechanic, they must all have had them. I have been to 3 different Ford dealerships and 3 other car shops. Goodyear, firestone, and ammaco. They all specify in different issues so I was just trying everything.
    Isnt the Lincoln a Ford? Thats why I have been bringing it to the Ford dealerships. And the dealerships I have brought this car to have been in 3 different states. Mississippi, Lousiana, and now Wisconsin. Somewhere along the line someone has to have had a different type of training or certification to help me with this car. But I will deffinetly look into a Lincoln Dealer if its not fixed this time. Oh, and I have had all 8 coil packs replaced during a tune up, is that what your asking about (COPs). its a v8
    Thanks
    That engine was only used in the LS and Tbird and the Tbird numbers were low, so there's a good chance that Ford mechanics simply haven't seen a lot of them. Lincoln sold considerably more LSes over a longer period. Yes, they should be able to fix it.

It's possible you have one of those strange problems like a frayed wire or bad PCM. Have they checked the fuel pumps and fuel filter?
  • I have a 2000LS V8 and sometimes when I start the car, it will act like it is being stolen, it will start and then kill and the alarm will go off. It will eventually start after awhile. I have the original battery in it (8yrs) could that be it? I am scare to drive it scare that it might not start. I'm in Texas. The only other problem I have with the car is the heater goes on when the a/c is on and I have had to replace all of the coils/plugs at a great expense, other than that I love the car and the style. Help me now I need to Xmas shop!!!!
    8 years? Change that battery!
  • I hope i can find answers here too. I have a 2000 LS v8 and i was driving and all of a sudden i couldn't give it any gas while i was diving. the gas pedal went limp. i shut the car off because i thought the Transmission was acting up but i couldn't crank the car up. it would start but would not turn over. I was told it was a fuel problem so i replace the fuel filter because it was blocked but the car still won't turn over, any more suggestions?
    Fuel pump would be my guess.