Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln LS Starting/Stalling

Comments

• Were you able to resolve this problem? I have a 2001 LS that now won't start and am experiencing similar issues to you. It started first with the check engine light always being on. I had the engine rebuilt (thankfully under warranty) but now the engione wants to turn over and starts for a few seconds but then the car dies. People think it can be the security system, another a weak battery not holding a charge. Like you I've had the original battery since 2000
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,719
    If it starts and runs for a few seconds it's not the battery or the security system. That sounds like a fuel problem (filter or pump).
  • I bought a new battery and the car has not done it again since. A battery that last 8 years the guy said was unheard of. I guess Ford did put good batteries in our cars ! I love my car and will keep it until........
  • What are the symptoms of a bad MAF sensor?
  • murphy35murphy35 Posts: 2
    I have a similar problem with my 2003 Lincoln LS V8. It seems that once in a while it won't start. It usually occurs when the outside temperature is above 90 degrees. I can stop at the local store, run in for a soda or whatever, come out and it won't turn over. No click, nothing. Radio works, gauges work, fan blows air, etc. If I let it sit for awhile (5-10 minutes usually) it will start. Yesterday, it sat for ~ 3 hours and still wouldn't start (but it was 104 degrees). Finally started.

I have taken it to the Ford dealer, but when I get there, it works fine. It's really hit or miss. Hopefully this week, I can make it happen again. Determined to take it in every day until it won't start so they can diagnose it...
    Any other ideas? Thanks. :confuse:
  • ben96ben96 Posts: 1
    i have a 2004 lincoln ls v6. it has started stailing all the time the rpms dip then jump and shuts off. the dealer cant figure it out its throwing no codes and the dealer is just throwing parts at it can anyone help
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes S.E. Wisconsin Posts: 903
    Just a guess, fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator?
  • murphy35murphy35 Posts: 2
    Really an odd fix, but makes sense. When I was finally able to re-create the problem at the local Ford dealership, the error code was something like "Theft Deterrant System activated". Turned out to be the chip in the key. When the key got hot, it caused the chip to malfunction. Car didn't recognize key, and wouldn't allow it to start... Whoda thunk it...................
    Sometimes,you gotta take it to the dealer...... :sick:
    Just make sure you get a vented battery since it's in the trunk. It's best just to get a replacement from a dealer if they have them. IIRC the cost was comparable to any other name brand battery and you know it fits. Considering you got 8 years out of the first one (you sure somebody didn't break into your trunk and put in a new battery 2 or 3 times?) I'd stick with motorcraft.

Don't remember if you lose the radio presets but if you do it yourself have the keyfob handy. Removing and reconnecting battery power tends to set off the alarm system (to deter a thief from cutting power to disarm the anti-theft system and then reconnecting power to drive it away).

I started to say it would also lose the transmission shift pressures but since in your case those are in your head and left foot I guess they won't be lost (at least not for a few more years - hopefully!). :sick:
    I think you can use an Odyssey battery on these. Sealed, so no vent. I dont think they are any cheaper than what you are seeing, though. My friend that has a Miata with a trunk-mounted battery swears they last longer because they're not exposed to the heat of the engine.
    $109? Yikes. Last price I heard was around $60 but that was probably a year ago at least and I don't remember where. I guess those aren't much in demand any more.

Yep - still have my fusion. Bought the wife an Edge last year to replace the piece of crap Aviator and it's been great. That plus a kid in college and another one about to get her permit means I'll probably be driving it for awhile.....
    Tell your friend to save $6K and get the Edge. The interior is better and the only thing you're really giving up is the cooled front seats.
  • dliandlian Posts: 3
    I have the same issue, but it usually takes three times to get it start eventually!!!!!
  • just bought 2000 lincoln ls v8 from my aunt, its been on her drive way for 6 years. it has 21k miles on it almost new. but ive the change coolent,oil,battery and luckly gas tank was emty so i put 91 oct gas, check all fuses and cranked it, basically motor turns over but didnt fire up... what do you guys think i should check next??
    Check the fuel pump cutoff switch just to be safe. You could have water or varnish in the fuel tank unless it was actually run dry. The fuel pump may not be working properly. Check fuel pressure with a gauged on the fuel rail near the front of the engine.
  • dliandlian Posts: 3
    It usually takes three times for my 01 V8 to start. A heavy gas smell appears every time during and after starting. Can it be the starter issue or else?
    Could be a leaky fuel injector.
  • Then I should just take it to a dealer?
    Any mechanic should be able to fix a leaky injector - or at least verify that's the problem.
  • I have a 2005 LS. Several times now there will be no power when trying to start it. No lights, no dash, no nothing. I wait 1-5 minutes and then it is fine, although sometimes, not always, the clock has to be reset and the trip odometers are back to zero. Yesterday it never did get power back and is still sitting in the garage with no power. The battery is fine. It starts my Explorer. All connections appear to be fine. Any thoughts before I open up my wallet at the dealership?
  • ajm751ajm751 Posts: 1
    So I have had this 2002 Lincoln LS for 5 years and since about 2 months after I bought is with 35,000 miles, I have been experiencing a delayed start. I have spent more money than this car is worth trying to fix the problem and still to no avail. I feel as though I have been down every road and still have yet to figure out the problem.
    About 1 year into owning the vehicle after experiencing the delayed start or crank issue, I was driving an the check engine light came on it almost immediately started blinking so I brought the car in. At that point the repairs really began... New spark plugs and wires and still a delayed start. ( There was raw fuel everywhere)Since then I have had many things replaced. I have had everything I have read in this forum fixed on this vehicle and it still does not start or run correctly. The battery issue can happen due to an old battery or not connecting jumper cables the right way. If you ground the negative to the battery and not the pin inside the spare tire it blows a chip (perhaps fuse) that starts to make the electrical seem off( i.e., radio control not working, no AC heat coming out of 1 vent and the check charging system light to appear. This chip or piece is about $150 and will resolve that issue without a new alternator... which I had already replaced trying to fix this problem.

Now back to the delayed start, I have had 5 new sets of plugs, 2 new plug wire replacements, 2 new fuel injecters (2 and 8), a new fuel pump, a new fuel pressure sensor and fuel system flush twice, a transmission fluid flush, 2 new starters and a new alternator and all to no avail. The problem seems to be getting worse as now the car is stalling when I come to a stop after just spending another $800 trying to fix it.

My next step is to have a Ford tech to my mechanics shop ( my 5th mechanic). If they cannot diagnose the problem there is no charge but if they can the charge is somewhere on the neighborhood of $150 per hour to figure it out. My money is on no luck sad to say but gosh is this perplexing or what?. If anyone has any input or suggestions I would love to hear them!
    You need to get a good mechanic and stop throwing money at the problem. Take it to a Lincoln dealer who understands the vehicle.

Did you replace the COPs (coil on plug)? There are 2 fuel pumps - did you replace both?
  • Have a 2001 Lincoln LS V6. When I put key into ignition, the car won't start and the alarm will sound. I hit the unlock to cancel alarm. After car sits for a few hours, I try again and car starts. This happens randumly. It happened about 6 or 7 months ago and then lately it seems to be happening more frequently. Any idea of why this is happening?
    Try replacing the battery and check the battery connections.
  • A few days ago i had some bad luck with my car, it started dieing out every time i would shift. When you start the car, it runs fine in park or neutral, but ,R,d5,d4,3,2,1 All make the car stall out , There is no time to to hit the gas it dies so fast. I recharged the battery and still having the same problem. No money for a mechanic , on my own for this one and any help is greatly appreciated .
    Also when i start the car sometimes, I smell a light gas smell?
    If you can rev it up in park and it runs fine but dies when you put it in gear, that sounds like a transmission problem - specifically the torque converter. The gas smell could be the evap cannister or a leaky fuel injector.
  • I have a 2002 LS and I took the CD player out to remove the jammed CD's hoping it would work afterwards. Well to make a long story short I had to disconnect the radio, climate control, and top vents. I put everything back together correctly (the plugs only fit in one way for all 3 components). After putting everything back together the next day I had problems starting my car. I had the battery checked out and it was good, had a bad negative battery connector and replaced it. This car is still giving me problems. When I start the car the mph and rpm gauges go all the way up (maxed out) for a second and then back down. Sometime the car starts great other days it takes like 8 times to start it and every time I try the alarm goes off. I had this similar situation happen with my 2005 ls when I installed my xm radio. I remember searching the internet for hrs to find out how to fix it. I found the solution back then and it worked and it was simple but now I have no clue what I did back then and of coarse I cant find the solution anywhere.

HELP...HELP...HELP...HELP...HELP...HELP.......THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!!!!
    I'm guessing bad battery ground to the car. I don't remember the specifics but that should help you find it. I think the solution was a strap of some kind.
  • Thanks for the info but I replaced my negative clamp that hooks to my battery post due to it being cracked. These problems didn't start until I took the radio out and then put it back in again. I thought it was the ground also that's why I replaced the clamp. Any other thoughts on this?