Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lincoln LS Starting/Stalling

Comments

• I have a 2005 LS. Several times now there will be no power when trying to start it. No lights, no dash, no nothing. I wait 1-5 minutes and then it is fine, although sometimes, not always, the clock has to be reset and the trip odometers are back to zero. Yesterday it never did get power back and is still sitting in the garage with no power. The battery is fine. It starts my Explorer. All connections appear to be fine. Any thoughts before I open up my wallet at the dealership?
  • ajm751ajm751 Posts: 1
    So I have had this 2002 Lincoln LS for 5 years and since about 2 months after I bought is with 35,000 miles, I have been experiencing a delayed start. I have spent more money than this car is worth trying to fix the problem and still to no avail. I feel as though I have been down every road and still have yet to figure out the problem.
    About 1 year into owning the vehicle after experiencing the delayed start or crank issue, I was driving an the check engine light came on it almost immediately started blinking so I brought the car in. At that point the repairs really began... New spark plugs and wires and still a delayed start. ( There was raw fuel everywhere)Since then I have had many things replaced. I have had everything I have read in this forum fixed on this vehicle and it still does not start or run correctly. The battery issue can happen due to an old battery or not connecting jumper cables the right way. If you ground the negative to the battery and not the pin inside the spare tire it blows a chip (perhaps fuse) that starts to make the electrical seem off( i.e., radio control not working, no AC heat coming out of 1 vent and the check charging system light to appear. This chip or piece is about $150 and will resolve that issue without a new alternator... which I had already replaced trying to fix this problem.

Now back to the delayed start, I have had 5 new sets of plugs, 2 new plug wire replacements, 2 new fuel injecters (2 and 8), a new fuel pump, a new fuel pressure sensor and fuel system flush twice, a transmission fluid flush, 2 new starters and a new alternator and all to no avail. The problem seems to be getting worse as now the car is stalling when I come to a stop after just spending another $800 trying to fix it.

My next step is to have a Ford tech to my mechanics shop ( my 5th mechanic). If they cannot diagnose the problem there is no charge but if they can the charge is somewhere on the neighborhood of $150 per hour to figure it out. My money is on no luck sad to say but gosh is this perplexing or what?. If anyone has any input or suggestions I would love to hear them!
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,666
    You need to get a good mechanic and stop throwing money at the problem. Take it to a Lincoln dealer who understands the vehicle.

Did you replace the COPs (coil on plug)? There are 2 fuel pumps - did you replace both?
  • Have a 2001 Lincoln LS V6. When I put key into ignition, the car won't start and the alarm will sound. I hit the unlock to cancel alarm. After car sits for a few hours, I try again and car starts. This happens randumly. It happened about 6 or 7 months ago and then lately it seems to be happening more frequently. Any idea of why this is happening?
    Try replacing the battery and check the battery connections.
  • A few days ago i had some bad luck with my car, it started dieing out every time i would shift. When you start the car, it runs fine in park or neutral, but ,R,d5,d4,3,2,1 All make the car stall out , There is no time to to hit the gas it dies so fast. I recharged the battery and still having the same problem. No money for a mechanic , on my own for this one and any help is greatly appreciated .
    Also when i start the car sometimes, I smell a light gas smell?
    If you can rev it up in park and it runs fine but dies when you put it in gear, that sounds like a transmission problem - specifically the torque converter. The gas smell could be the evap cannister or a leaky fuel injector.
  • I have a 2002 LS and I took the CD player out to remove the jammed CD's hoping it would work afterwards. Well to make a long story short I had to disconnect the radio, climate control, and top vents. I put everything back together correctly (the plugs only fit in one way for all 3 components). After putting everything back together the next day I had problems starting my car. I had the battery checked out and it was good, had a bad negative battery connector and replaced it. This car is still giving me problems. When I start the car the mph and rpm gauges go all the way up (maxed out) for a second and then back down. Sometime the car starts great other days it takes like 8 times to start it and every time I try the alarm goes off. I had this similar situation happen with my 2005 ls when I installed my xm radio. I remember searching the internet for hrs to find out how to fix it. I found the solution back then and it worked and it was simple but now I have no clue what I did back then and of coarse I cant find the solution anywhere.

HELP...HELP...HELP...HELP...HELP...HELP.......THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!!!!
    I'm guessing bad battery ground to the car. I don't remember the specifics but that should help you find it. I think the solution was a strap of some kind.
  • Thanks for the info but I replaced my negative clamp that hooks to my battery post due to it being cracked. These problems didn't start until I took the radio out and then put it back in again. I thought it was the ground also that's why I replaced the clamp. Any other thoughts on this?
    I thought there was another strap that Ford added later somewhere in the trunk.
  • sounds like a fuel pump relay with the delayed starting/ hard to start....
  • The symptoms: The car sat for six months. I connected the battery. It would turn over but not start. I sprayed some starting fluid and it started. Occasionally, I would have to use starting fluid to start it. I thought it was old fuel working its way through. Now, It won't start. The fluid starts it for two seconds and then dead. I noticed the battery is low, so I charged it. Same thing with the starting fluid. Two seconds and dead.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,419
    Well after 6 months you probably have rotten gas, but I can't say for sure. You might check for fuel flow from the fuel pump by either disconnecting a line or by installing a fuel pressure gauge.

If you do have fuel flow but won't start without starting fluid, then either it is indeed rotten gas or your fuel injectors are not getting a pulse. In that case, you'll need to buy an inexpensive "NOID" light and test for fuel injector pulse from the car's computer system.

• carlessinphxcarlessinphx Posts: 3
    edited October 2012
    I fixed it. It was the primary fuel pump. I started with the filter, but no gas was going to the filter. And I couldn't hear the sweet hum of the pump.
    Ford/Jaguar was nice enough, in this case, to locate access under the passenger's side rear seat. It comes up. Look for two tabs under the front crease. Slide them and the seat comes up. Slide the backseat to the side. Lift up the vinyl and you will see a 6 inch rubber Tab. Remove that and there is the top of the fuel pump case. Before you proceed, go to Auto Zone and buy the new fuel pump. It will have instruction on how to swap it out. Good luck with those fuel line connectors. They are a beoch. Also, I used a hammer and a 3/4" piece of pvc pipe to remove the ring at the top. If you have a better idea, please post.
    Buy the pump at Auto Zone, because it includes the two sump filters. O'Reily wants to charge you extra for them.
    Some articles say there are two fuel filters in the LS. Actually there are three. Two in the tank and one behind the driver's side tire.
    I'd get rid of that gas, or at least swap out the fuel filter pronto and add fresh fuel immediately.

• I drove the car all night. It's like its new. No more missing. No more engine light. Everyone should swap out their old fuel pump, just for fun.
    Ah, the proactive stance!

But change the filter, just for laughs.

• Hi All!
    I've been away for a while, but happy to see some of the original members from the beginning still here.

2000 Lincoln LS V8 Sport, 100,000mi, Feb 2000 build date, had since new. I still love this car!

Searched the forums and couldn't find the following exact symptoms. 2 years ago had a no start event. Starter turns fine, but engine doesn't fire. After 6-8 tries, it fired and started. No gas smell, seemed like it just wasn't getting fuel. Then it runs perfectly, like nothing happened. Good power even at full throttle acceleration.

Happened a second time about 2 months ago. Then 3 weeks ago. Then 2 weeks ago the battery ran low before it would start. Missed a dentist's appointment that time, it started 30 minutes later. Tried the following to no avail… gas pedal floored; gas pedal jazzed; lock and unlock doors a few times with fob; disconnect and reconnect battery; turn key slowly; turn key fast, start in neutral and park, then it just starts when it feels like it. Connectors on fuel pump under Px rear seat are clean and not corroded. Always happens on a cold start, not when engine is warm.

No fault codes in the OBD - had a smog test a few weeks ago and they said it was all good.

Replaced fuel pump relay in trunk with similar fog light relay under hood, but it still did the no start thing, so it's not that. I can't be sure because of other noises, but it seems like the fuel pump doesn't run for the second or two like it should when the key is turned, when I have the problem. I'll peel the seat back so I can hear more clearly next time. I'm suspecting the fuel pump, but I'm bothered by the fact that it runs perfectly at all other times - it's like intermittently the pump isn't getting the signal to turn on. Has anybody out there seen a fuel pump failure in this manner? Any other suggestions? Because it's intermittent, and the dealer is 30 mins away, it's iffy that the problem will happen at the dealer's. I don't want to replace the fuel pump and still have the problem, either.

I might wire a voltmeter in parallel with the fuel pump to confirm it's getting voltage when the problem happens. Comments or your experiences appreciated.

Thanks - markls8.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,238
    One of the numerous things I had to replace on my '00 LS (sold a year ago with 128K miles on it) was the fuel pump. That's what it sounds like to me.

Good luck.