Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX Accessories

tonychrystonychrys Posts: 1,310
I asked that this folder be created because I know from personal experience how hard it can be to find "stuff" for your new RX.

As soon as I get a chance, I'll try to post all the sources I have found. I hope others will do the same.

Talk to you soon,
TC

Comments

• tonychrystonychrys Posts: 1,310
    This is a device I plan on installing on my vehicle for lot of obvious reasons. I've done some research and picked three units which should be compatible with the RX300 or have vehicle specific installations.

The first is the Poron systems. It's advantage is that it can be mounted in several locations and they feature a voice system for the really high-tech touch. http://www.poronusa.com/index1.htm

The second is the Sense Technologies systems. They offer several different mounting options, including an easy license frame kit. http://www.sensetech.com/

The third is from Rostra. What's cool is that they have RX300 specific instructions for hiding the sensing module inside the vehicles rear bumper. http://www.rostra.com/ac-ross.asp

I'd love to hear if anyone installs one of these on their RX.

Hope this helps,

TC

• tariktarik Posts: 344
    TC,

Great detective work regarding those items.

The Rostra is particularly intruguing to me because of its stealth appearance. Have you read or heard anything about its performance "through the bumper"? No real world experience and no price (at least not that I saw) make me wait, but it's still an interesting addition to be considered.

Tarik
    Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad somebody found this information useful. I'm going to be posting more "stuff" as long as there is an interest.

Regarding the Rostra, yup, I have some testimony. (you should realize I'm thorough)

• ltgheeltghee Posts: 3
    Need to find a place which can provide replacement/duplicate car keys at a reasonable price in Washington DC area. Can anyone help?!

TG
    Since there is a an electronic chip in the key in order for the vehicle to start, the only place you can get a replacement is a Lexus dealer. A regular key replacement will only unlock the doors and glovebox.
  • malhokcmalhokc Posts: 83
    If you are looking just for a regular key (not the master with buttons), Ebay recently had a few ads selling keys for Lexus which they cut. You can save a lot of money.
    I've installed a set of floorliners for my new RX. They are from Huskyliner and they are NOT all weather mats like the generic size ones from WeatherTech. These are custom cut for your vehicle. I just installed them and fit is very precise.

The front consists of two liners, one for the passenger and one for the driver. The things cover the entire area, the drivers side is even cut and molded to go over the dead-pedal.

The rear is one piece that covers the entire 2nd row. This is fantastic for my 3-year old who scoots in and out with dirty sneakers on.

I am very pleased with the fit.

They come in grey, black and tan. The tan I got does nicely with the ivory leather. I'm now thinking of getting the cargo liner for the back.

Here's an idea of what the liners would look like (not my car): http://www.huskyliner.com/tayu.html

I got my set from Roadworks Car & Truck, free shipping when you buy any combination:

http://www.roadworksauto.com/husky_liners.htm

If you live in any area that gets inclement weather, I HIGHLY recommend these. I'll simply store the factory mats until Spring.

Hope this helps,

TC

• pschiffepschiffe Posts: 373
    The RX300 theft deterrent system utilizes a high security "sidewinder/laser" key which has a tiny electronic transponder chip sealed in the head. When the key is inserted, the ignition emits an electromagnetic field which causes the chip in the key to send a coded signal back to the lock. The engine will start only if the signal from the key is recognized by the Engine Control Module (ECM). This is a very intricate system requiring special dealer test equipment together with a high level of technical knowledge and skill to troubleshoot malfunctions. New vehicles are supplied with two master keys, one valay key and one wallet key. Only the master and valay keys have the transponder chip to allow you to start and run the engine. The ECM has the capacity to recognize up to ten keys, 7 masters and 3 valays. Either of the two original registered masterkeys is needed to initialize (program) additional keys. If no registered transponder key is available to start the car, it must be towed to a Lexus dealer and the ECM replaced. The MSRP for this unit is about $2,500.00 and with labor the installed cost is around $3K! Neither the dealer or a locksmith can re-program the ECM if all keys are lost. The masterkey also includes battery-powered rolling code keyless entry to lock/unlock doors, sound panic alarm and open windows and moonroof. These functions must also be programmed into new keys. To change the battery, remove the tiny screw on the key bow using a #00 jewelers' Phillips screwdriver to access and remove the module. The replacement is a 3 v. lithium coin battery: Duracell DL1616, Eveready ECR1616, Panasonic CR1616 or equivalent. Your dealer can order additional keys at the list price of around $160.00 each, programming is an additional labor charge and requires the use of one of the original masterkeys together with access to the vehicle; total estimated cost is about $200.00 per key. Contrary to popular belief, there are aftermarket duplicate keys available at a much more competitive price. These have the imbeded transponder chip and operate all locks and start and run the vehicle. Like the valay, these keys will NOT have the remote keyless entry and panic buttons, but since the door can be easily unlocked with the key and locked without it; this may be an acceptable compromise. To purchase these, find a local locksmith who has the special machinery to duplicate high security "sidewinder" keys. The aftermarket transponder key blank is Ilco #TOY48BT4 which if they don't have it in stock, the locksmith can order from their wholesale supplier. Once the locksmith has the proper blank they can cut a duplicate by profiling from the original on the special machine. The new duplicate is then easily programmed using the RX's on-board computer (ECM) and one of the original masterkeys. I guesstimate the street price at around $50-$60. Fortunately, I didn't learn all this the hard way and I emplore every owner to stash one the original masterkeys in a secure location outside the vehicle should the other keys become lost. If you are interested in the simple on-board duplicate key programming procudure, email me and I will provide the information.

Pete
  • psb55psb55 Posts: 4
    I was looking for an aftermarket CD-changer for my RX300, 2001 model. The dealer is charging $1,200 (ouch !!!) Any ideas where I can get the adapters to install an after market changer?
    I think I can save you several hundred dollars and it'll be a genuine Lexus changer (Pioneer OEM):

http://www.lexuspartsmall.com/cgi/osgroup.cgi?g=CD

Good kuck.

• abtrustabtrust Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a wooden Steering wheel without an air bag for my 2000 RX 300. The steering wheel fits fine, but my old air bag does not fit correctly. There is too much space around the air bag. It appears the wooden steering wheels for the 2001 model are a slightly different then the 2000 model.

I saw an ad for a wooden wheel for the GS models. It implied the wheel for the GS and the RX are the same. Is this true? Can I replace a late model GS air bag for my 2000 RX air bag.

Your suggestions would be welcome.

Arthur
  • psb55psb55 Posts: 4
    Has anyone successfully installed an after-market CD chnager (FM modulated or direct) on a 2001 RX300?
  • devlopperdevlopper Posts: 44
    Anyone have a suggestion for a good aftermarket cargo net for RX 300?
    Get the real thing (OEM), cheap. Plus it comes with the "extra" hardware you need to mount a cargo net in a Rex.

Got mine here: http://www.irontoad.com/l_associated.htm

Spent over $250.00 today on the "Rex" because of your advice above. Despite the rattles, that I hope will be taken care of, you can tell this is a keeper for me.
    ...if you're gonna get the cargo net at IronToad, you might as well get an extra CD Magazine! That's what I did, it's great because now the wife can have "her music" and I can have "my music". Whenever one of us uses the Rex, we simply pop in our own magazine (which I have of course meticulously labled).

Enjoy the new toys.
    Another Great piece of advise.
  • jiffinjiffin Posts: 9
    You may want to check with your local Pioneer auto sound dealer for CD magazines for the RX300. I did this for my 2001 RX300. The Lexus dealer wanted $45 for a magazine but the Pioneer 6 CD magazine model # JD-T612 is identical and cost me $20 at my Pioneer dealer.
  • jiffinjiffin Posts: 9
    I ordered the Lexus all weather mats at Irontoad.com. The fronts were $36 while the rear mats were $28. My 2001 RX300 has the ivory interior and my mats are oak color which matches the lower part of the console and accents with the rest of the cockpit. Very nice mats.
  • LEXUS 300 ES FACTORY REPAIR MANUALS (2 VOLUMES)
    NEED HELP LOCATING. DEALER STATES THEY ARE OUT OF PRINT.

THANKS