Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX 400h Suspension/Steering Problems

2»

Comments

• jgyula86jgyula86 Posts: 4
    Hi Nghi Le,

I called for a trailer, and gave her for the mechanics at local Toyota. :)
    They said they have to change the complete steering, because of some dead computer in it, which can't be changed individually, and that's gonna cost me 3500$. I said it's a little too much, so I searched for used part from a wreck for 800$, and got it changed for 300$, and I heard this is kind of a typical problem for before 2007 models.

Since then I once had the (probably) service battery related, 'car wont start - change to P' problem, but nothing else, and the car is doing fine with the used steering parts.

Bye, Gyula
  • sirifinsirifin Posts: 4
    Gyula
    Thanks a lot,

Nghi Le
  • skycaptainskycaptain Posts: 33
    Friends,
    All of you that have had a steering failure should fill out a safety report to the NHSTA. Complete loss of steering is a serious safety issue.

Luke :shades: l
    Hi Luke,

Where could I get the NHSTA form please?

Thanks
    Nghi Le
    Hi Gyula,

Which part exactly did you changed? Can you name it or give me a code for that part?

I still have problem with the steering.

Thanks

Nghi Le
  • jgyula86jgyula86 Posts: 4
    Hi,

Sorry but I don't exactly remember it, and I don't want to say something stupid for you to buy something what you don't need...
    After they found the problem, the mechanic at Toyota told me what part I needed exactly. It took only one day for them to find what was wrong. There is somewhere a computer which is responsible for everything about steering, but it cannot be changed without the larger mechanic parts around it. I found a totalled RX on a site, and bought the part from it. Sorry, I don't know the exact technical terms for the car parts in english.
    Sorry I can't help you much.

Bye, Gyula
  • jday3jday3 Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    Have you had the problem when trying to start the SUV change to "P" to start and the SUV is already in park? Please advise.

Thanks
  • Here is the place to file your report....Luke

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm :shades:
  • Yes, I had that. This is caused by the service battery, which in my case is more than 6 years old. When this happened, I searched for another car to jump start,. But when we were just about to connect the cars, I made a lest try to start it, and it started, so jump start wasn't necessary. But it could solve the problem in some of these 'shift to P' problems.
2»