Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge-Plymouth Neon Transmission/Suspension

Comments

• Alright i have a 2004 Neon 2.0L, well some one tampered with the transmission, at first i didnt know what it was but knew i burned out the pan gasket seal, i change that then came to another problem, they removed the plug thats located underneathe the transmission, i know they dont sell them in auto stores like autozone......need some advice on where i could get one, and how much would this cost! please help. i would like to get my neo up and running please..... :sick:
  • Yesterday when I was driving my car, when i stepped on the gas pedal I could feel the car revving but it wasn't going any where then all of a sudden it would jerk and go ahead...

It did this a few times then I decided this isn't normal..so I got out of my car to check the hood...as soon as i opened my car door i saw a trail of fluid ...from the road to where I parked..

So i peeked under the hood and green stuff and red stuff was leaking on to the ground. Oh damn..

I jumped in the car trying to head back to my place but I stalled about 2 min..I could feel the car revving but it wasn't going any where..so I had to push the car to a parking lot.

When I got my car to my apt, I checked the transmission fluid as well my coolant..both were bone dry

I think I need a new transmission ...not sure..

any one can give any clues what it might be? its in the shop now..i want to look smart when they give me the estimate..thanks
  • 2005 Dodge Neon SXT 40,557 miles:

I recently started having a problem with my car that i can't quite figure out. After driving in traffic around town for a while and then getting out on the interstate the transmissions' torgue converter seems to be locking and un-locking constantly as i notice a dramatic fluctation in RPM at that time. Also the speedo fluctuates 10-20 mph...i guess bounces between would be a better description. It also seems to be miss-firing but no associated engine light, so no codes to pull. The missfire feeling could be from the tranny but not sure. It only does it for a minute or so. Then all goes back to normal. Seems to run fine once it stops its little fit but bothers me. Dealership has been no help.

It only seems to do this after doing city driving and not at any other time. MPG has also decreased noticieably. Was thinking transmission control module with the speedo doing the bounceing but just want some input.

Thanks

Dan
  • i had this same thing happen last night... i am under the impression that this is the transmission fluid cooling line that runs to the radiator... but not 100% could you let me know what you found out??? pleez!
  • ray40ray40 Posts: 1
    Hey,
    Just went thru this problem with a 2002 neon. You need to replace the Radiator, and have the trans fliud and the Radiator flushed out, then hope that ne damage was done to the Trans.
  • In case you haven't solved your problem yet, I will give you a little advice on it. My son's 200 Neon lost all the tranny fluid. We found that the cooling line to the radiator was off. The plug that went into the radiator had pulled out. Not the hose clamp, but the threads on the plug stripped. To repair it, I used PC-7 epoxy to hold it. So far it has held. He had driven it without fluid about 5 miles, slipping badly. We put 3 1/2 quarts of high mileage fluid plus sealer and conditioner in it and it didn't slip. I don't know how much damage was done to the discs, but he'll have to wait and see if it continues to run.
    Hope this advice helps anyone.
  • In case you haven't solved your problem yet, I just posted the following to billandalisha . My son's 2000 Neon lost all the tranny fluid. We found that the cooling line to the radiator was off. The plug that went into the radiator had pulled out. Not the hose clamp, but the threads on the plug stripped. To repair it, I used PC-7 epoxy to hold it. So far it has held. He had driven it without fluid about 5 miles, slipping badly. We put 3 1/2 quarts of high mileage fluid plus sealer and conditioner in it and it didn't slip. I don't know how much damage was done to the discs, but he'll have to wait and see if it continues to run.
    Hope this advice helps anyone.
  • my trans line from the tranny to the radiator popped off from the radiator... the threads were stripped off also just like posted before...........you must replace the radiator and flush the trans.... for a quick fix to get you to a shop use a small piece of brake line and splice the input and output lines together with the brake line and a few hose clamps but i remind you this is a quick fix for a short distance prolonged use can result in trans failure how this was helpful
  • It looks like my son's Neon wasn't the only one that had stripped threads in the radiator. That epoxy repair seems to be holding good so far. I've used it a number of times before and it's good stuff. They ought to, at least mold a little heavier area on the radiator where the fitting screws in. It only has about three very fine threads in it and that's not much. Perhaps they want you to have to buy a new radiator and/or replace the tranny.
  • We have a 2004 Neon SXT with 140,000 highway miles. The solenoid pressure switch was leaking fluid and the mechanic has replaced. After driving for 5-10 minutes, the transmission will make a hard shift and then will get stuck in 2nd gear. The transmission will down shift to 1st, but will not shift any higher than 2nd gear. It will remain in this condition until the vehicle ignition is turned off.

Has anyone experienced this problem, if so, what what the source of the problem?

The mechanic suggested the electronic shifter was not working properly due to a low charging battery?? Any thoughts on that statement?
  • solesole Posts: 1
    what is the best way to get fluid out od radiator cooler.
  • planetmfplanetmf Posts: 5
    Hello All. I've got a 2000 Neon and I'm wondering if anyone can clue me in as to what I've got here with a kinda dangerous problem. It seems as though whenever I have to stop abruptly for whatever reason my car will not move after that. I have to sit there for a minute or two or shut it off and try again. None of the gears do anything for a minute or two and then it's fine. Happened this morning at red light that I should have just gone through. It's an automatic. A tad scary.
  • belle10belle10 Posts: 1
    Honey at least you are stopped when it happens to you. Try going down the interstate at 65 miles per hour and it happen! Thats more than a tad bit scarey. I have a 2005 neon that I bought brand new and the problem started almost immediately. Driving down the road, car just stops, engine still running, motor wont even rev up. Just have to sit there until it decides time to go. I have had it to several different dealers and they cant seem to get it to duplicate what I am telling them. Matter of fact it is in the shop now. It has 6000 miles left on the warrenty so I told them to keep it until they figure out what the problem is or else. This state has a lemon law and I think that is exactly what I have! And u are right we have a very dangerous problem and I am not gonna stop until it is fixed! :mad: You be careful :)
  • totkentotken Posts: 2
    Good evening,
    My stepdaughter has a 2000 Plymouth Neon. We have had a lot of problems with this vehicle and apparently a lot of other folks have too. We just had the radiator repaired and 2 days after getting the car out of the shop and $750 in repairs done on the vehicle, the car came to a dead stop and all of the transmission fluid poured out. We took it to the same mechanic who had just done a full tune-up and repair and he claimed the transmission needed to be repaired. Is this common for this particular vehicle and does anyone have any suggestions on what to do. The car has 100,000 miles on it now.

Thank you,
    Tim
  • I have a 1996 neon and my tranny went out, if anyone has one let me know chevysilveradogirl99@yahoo.com
  • gaminocorpgaminocorp Posts: 2
    it will take you a day if you have the right parts, its very easy.Its not as hard as people may say it is
  • gaminocorpgaminocorp Posts: 2
    What kind of head kind i swap into a 95 Dodge Neon Sport SOHC. Should i just do a DOHC?(or) I herd that you can get a Stratus DOHC on it, i belive its 2.4, is that true (gaminocorp@aol.com)
  • carman_88carman_88 Posts: 1
    well is see that you posted this quit some time ago but i thought i would try and help you out incase you haven't solved the problem yet. i would go with what your mechanic said and get the alternator tested at autzone or advanced auto. if it is fine, have your mechanic check the wires, see if any are loose or corroded. if not, try getting a new battery. if it is none of them then the only thing i can suggest is getting a used, rebuilt tranny (they're not as expensive and not all that hard to replace) or sell the car. those obviously aren't your only choices, but thats all i really know about that type of thing and i am no professional mechanic by any means. good luck if you haven't gotten it fixed yet.