Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge-Plymouth Neon Starting/Stalling

Comments

• I have a 97 Neon. When I start it, it starts fine but unless I step on the gas it stalls right away. It is fine to drive, but as soon as I take it out of gear it stalls. This will continue to happen until its been driven for about 5 minutes. No engine fault codes. Any ideas?
  • hollyhhollyh Posts: 2
    I was wanting to know if anybody could tell me why my neon rolled in park? On saturday we had went to my mother and father in laws home to look at the brand new 2007 truck they had gotten that day. I parked my car pulled up the emergency brake and left it running to get out and look at the truck. The car stayed there in park for a good 5 minutes. Then I went back to the car to get my 3 kids out of the car and go in the house. As soon as I turned off the ignition the car started rolling and hit my father in laws truck. It drug me and my 6 year old son down the driveway. We are ok,but my car is having a transmission tear down now. I was just wondering if somebody could tell me some possibilities as to why this happened. The car was in park with the emergency brake up the whole time I am 100% sure of that.
  • i have this identical problem. i have a new o2 sensor, new egr valve, and replaced my crank sensor.... nothing has worked yet. It is so hard to find anything online to help, i was wondering what you did djk111 to fix your problem? :cry:
  • keiautkeiaut Posts: 1
    We just spent hours looking for this problem and it wound up being the crank sensor. Relatively inexpensive and easy to change, it is down by the fuel filter, only one bolt and one plug. However it did break when taking it out so had to drill a small hole in the center and put in a screw to extract it.
  • rkericorkerico Posts: 3
    This sounds crazy but my 1998 plymouth neon has recently started this unique stalling problem. Car was recently tuned up (new wires, plugs, gaskets, etc.)and was running fine for a few weeks. However, it now seems to stall out when making a right turn. Runs just fine when going straight or left. Has anyone ever experienced this?
  • craig53craig53 Posts: 3
    I have a '96 Neon that recently developed a problem. It runs fine until I have driven a few miles, then it begins to miss, "bumps" (much like a bad plug). This gets progressively worse. Then, if I slow down, turn a corner, etc. it completely dies. After sitting for a few minutes, it finally can be started again. "Service Engine" light stays on. It coded as a "Primary Coil" problem. Coil was replaced. It still acts up. This tends to be worse when it is in the '80's outside (?). Fuel line pressure checked out okay. Any ideas? I need the car! Particularly for the gas mileage.
  • oilcan3oilcan3 Posts: 1
    Craig53, I have a 96 Neon and I am currently experiencing the same problem. My coil and cam sensors have been replaced the problem is still there. There are no codes that register. It's going into the shop tommarow again for the 3rd time. It sounds like the same problem you have, have you gotten in figured out yet.
  • craig53craig53 Posts: 3
    Hey oilcan3, actually I had the car at the mechanic's a third time. He removed the code and has had me drive it for a week or two with the new coil. I don't drive it over 55-60. I have driven it to work a few times (16 miles each way)with no recurrence of the problem so far. This problem seems to occur with no regularity. Very frustrating. I changed the air filter and was going to change the PCV, but couldn't find it. I wish you luck with your car. Let me know if you find out anything. I'll do the same.
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,284
    I don't think Donald Trump could have afforded to keep my 95 Neon running much longer than I did exhausting my financial resources taking it to 65K miles!!
  • Im having the same problem now didyou find out what it was
  • rkericorkerico Posts: 3
    No. Have not yet determined the problem. Had a diagnostic test but the readings detected no fault codes nor any during the drive test. I continue to drive car occasionally and it still stalls out periodically. Crazy, but only happens when making right hand turns and not accelerating thru the turn. Please let me know if you ever find out the reason. Thanks.
    link title
    :mad:
  • After several more incidents I believe the problem may have been fixed. The last time (about two weeks ago) the thing stalled out 6 times in about 2 miles! The mechanic replaced the Crank Sensor and I have driven it for a week now with no stalling, no hesitation and no Warning Lights. Hopefully this is it. You may want to try this.
  • I have a 2000 Plymouth Neon that dies and loses all electrical. If I let it sit for awhile it will come back to life. I've had different opinions from everybody I know - anywhere from plugs, wires, coil to battery, alternator, electrical shorts to O2, cam, and crank sensors. Today the check engine light finally reared its ugly head. What is the general concensus on this one? :sick:
  • I went throught fuel pump and wiring and found out that a condensed that is supose to stop engine noise for the car had a dead short. It would run great then while driving just stop, or try to start the car and it would pop the fuse. Come to find out it is attached to the back of the engine and got hot and runs a dead short. I removed it tapeed the wire no engine noise on the radio and no fuse poping. I still idels a little rough but i think it may be dirty fuel injestors.
  • Hey I developed a problem with my 97 neon 5 speed 2.0 single over head cam. My car wouldnt fire on 1and 4 but if you remove the cam sensor all 4 would fire and run for a second. I replaced the brain,cam sensor,coil pack,and crank sensor all of this cost me 500.00 or more. No one not anyone could figure this out. Not to messtion it would not get any right code on a machine. After spending alot of money trying to figure this out and takeing it into the shop I finally took it to someone who knew where to look at the problem. Even Dodge it self couldnt figure it out. I feel Dodge needs to remberse me for this problem because Im not the only one this has happend to. Heres what happend and it was fixed with a 1.50 part plus 99.00 an hour to figure it out. It was the pin inside of the cam that was broke.
  • While driving on the freeway my 96 Neon (Manual Trans) turned off and back on (almost like a surge) when the cooling fan would come on. At one point the battery light came on but when off again. When I got it home (luckily) and turned it off it would not start again. Power is really dim. I think its the alternator but would like some advice before I start throwing money into it. :(

Also on a side note I put in a new battery about 5 months ago.
  • I have a Neon that when you turn the key the starter turns over very slow and then it finally starts the car. I have tested the battery and alternator and both test good. I haven't taken the starter off to test it because I think it is a electrical problem. The reason for my belief is that when I put the car on a car charger and use a 50 amp boost the car turns over just fine. This is a on again and off again problem. Is there a starter relay that goes bad that needs to be replaced?
  • HI i have a 95 dodge neon and was running fine and about a week ago i went to the store and came out and tried to start my car and it died right away. tried to start again and it didn't thinking th car was flooded i wait and tried again after about 5-10 tries it started and seemed to run fine so i didn't think anything of it. Went out later that night to start the car and the same thing happened.
    so next day i go to bring the car into the shop and when i got it started again it seemed to run fine but now when i hit about 20 mph it has a surge almost like a hard shift and then runes fine again doesn't do anything when slowing down the mechanic hooked up and found codes p0122, p0340, p0351, p0352d, p0422, cleard them out and the check engin light went off it has not cam back on yet but still have the surge at 20 mph and ideas were to starte looking they couldn't tell me with out charging and arm an a leg to replace the the seners the the computer said were bad Thx in advance
  • My 96 neon was doing the same thing and I kept getting codes that didn't make sense.after all the trouble shooting and parts swaping I found out it was the external fuel filter on my plastic tank ( dodge part #4546610 $46.00 ) According to dodge this IS NOT A REGULATOR. It is a bypass filter that when your car does not need the amount of fuel that the pump is pumping it will bypass inside this filter back to the tank because this car does not have a return fuel line to the tank from the engine. ( cut mine appart and was plugged to where the car would hardly run) It"s stainless steel and is located on the top of the fuel pump/sending unit. The fuel line exit's this off of the tank just in front of the pass. rear wheel. You can change it with the tank in the car but it's a pain. If you look at a new one first you'll see a tab on the side of the filter you have to depress and then rotate the filter counter clockwise about a 1/4 turn and slide it out.
  • I just purchased a 1996 Neon which has the same issues. Stalls frequently but only when making right hand turns. Did you ever find out the problem?