Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge-Plymouth Neon Starting/Stalling

Comments

• No I have not had the fuel pump replaced... Do you think that could be the problem? I don't want to put any more money into this car unless I know for sure that is the problem and it will be 100% fixed, you know? It's rough enough as it is for me. Is there somewhere, like Autozone, that I can get it tested free of charge? Or should I just take it to an auto shop?
  • I have a 2001 Dodge Neon and it is a great car and I love it. But sometimes it cuts out when you put it in reverse and a few times it has done it in drive and sometimes if you don't go quick enough it will die but then it starts back fine. And sometimes it is worse when first starting but does fine after driving for awhile. Any ideas on what it could be?
  • I have a 2000 Plymouth Neon I bottomed out in a big puddle and now, when I put it in Drive it blows the fuse for the ignition any Ideas? :sick: I'm at a loss
  • Have you looked in the trunk for a reset button according to my book some neons have as a safety switch
  • check your fuses
  • I am by no means a pro with cars but that sounds more like an electrical problem like maybe with the distibuter? have someone check the wiring and fuses and everything before you go and replace the starter.
  • CAN SOME ONE TELL ME HOW TO FIX THIS PROBLEM.
    THANK YOU,
    jlp
  • do you have a manual or automatic transmission?
  • have you checked the fuel pressure at the fuel rail?it should be around 43 psi when starting. Then it should drop to about 38 psi while running. anything more or less than that indicates your pressure regulator is going bad.
  • what type fuel do you use. Do you pour gas treatment into the fuel tank before filling up every so often?Do you get a check engine light? if you do is it flashing or staying on?a few things may be wrong. this most common is a fuel pressure regulator going bad or random multiple misfires.
  • ive got a 95 neon that starts just fine and runs until it gets up to operating temp then stalls and starts again but wont stay running what is this can anyone help me sort this out
  • CHANGE THE COIL PACK AND THROTTLE BODY, THE THROTTLE BODY'S ON THESE THINGS SUCK, TRY CHECKING OUT. WWW.MODERNPERFORMANCE.COM. THE CAN HELP WITH THE PARTS.
  • THIS MAY OR MAY NOT HELP YOU OUT, BUT THERE IS A PICKUP SCREEN ON THE FUEL PUMP IN THE TANK AND SOME TIMES WITH CARS THAT HAVE BEEN AROUND A WHILE YU GET TRASH AS WE CALL IT IN THE TANK AND WHEN TURNING THE TRASH SLOSHES ONTO THE SCREEN TEMPORAILY BLOCKING THE FUEL, I HAVE HAD THIS HAPPEN ON OTHER CARS NOT MY NEON AND AFTER FLUSHING THE TANK OUT AND INSTALLING NEW FUEL FILTER AND SCREEN THE PROBLEM STOPPED, HOPE THIS MAY HELP YOU OUT ON THIS PROB.
  • DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY CABLE WHILE THE CAR IS RUNNING, IF IT STAY ON THEN YOUR ALTINATOR IS FINE IF IT DIES GO GET IT CHECKED, THEY WILL OVER CHARGE AS WELL AS UNDER, CHECK THE BATTERY SOMETIMES YOU CAN HAVE ONE DEAD CELL, IT WILL CHARGE BUT WON'T HOLD IT.
  • FOR THE PRICE ALSO CHANGE THE CRANK SENSOR. THIS MAY HELP, AS THEY START TO GO BAD WHEN THEY GET HOT IS WHEN THEY ACT UP.
  • Hi. I've been reading through some of these posts and it seems like many of you have had the same problem -- with many different solutions. My '97 started stalling right after I start it, unless I give it gas. It will also stall when I decelerate. It seems to have trouble maintaining a stable idle speed when it does run.

I know its not the spark plugs and I just had the fuel system cleaned. It ran great for about 10 miles after I picked it up, and now I can't even keep the engine going. I'm hoping for a little insight. There's no engine light.

Thanks for helping.
  • Hi, I have a 95 SOHC that started flashing the check engine light 2 days ago...now the thing has stalled and blew the 20A fuse under the hood. I have no charging or battery problems. It does have an intermittent MAP sensor. Did the PCM go bad?? :confuse:
  • I have a 95 plymouth neon. It stalls and surges alot. You reset the computer and it runs good untill the computer logs in the trouble codes then it starts stalling and the only to get it to go is by mashing on the gas. I repaced the throttle body once the tps about 5 times, idle control unit a few times,map sensor the whole nine yards. Yesterday i replaced the computer and stiil no luck. It runs good for a few miles then starts medding up. ANY IDEAS?????? No codes show up besides the o2 sensor
  • huck76huck76 Posts: 2
    00 Neon Automatic The car is not starting. Lights are bright, and I had jumpers on anyway. Car is doing nothing. No clicks, no noise when key is turned at all. Car is automatic, I noticed that the car rolls when in any gear other than park. Does this indicate any of the problems?

I tapped on the starter w hammer, no change.

I guess I am wondering if there is some kind of transmission switch or something stopping it from starting.

Any help please! Thanks
    Jodi.
  • I am working on a 96 neon dohc. It starts hard hot or cold without slight depress of acc. pedal. After it does start it runs rough for about 15 to 20 sec. then clears up and idles fine, also smells rich. Changed intake gasket, after car was taken to advance auto(obd scan) and was told #1 cyl was running rich. Sorry about dumbness. Since then have checked voltage at tps sensor 1 volt at closed throttle& 4 volts at wot. All injectors seem to be clicking(screwdriver to ear) About the same #1 is alittle louder than the rest.Fuel press. at 50 lbs, also pulled connecters off injs. at idle and made adifference at idle, have'nt checked to see if fuel press. is dropping after shut car off yet. Wondering if 1 or more injs. are leaking after shut off causing flood like condition or another sensor could be involved. Have checked codes with key on off on off on method, getting 24 tps&27 injector driver code. Don't understand #24 tps code since voltage seems to be in specs. Any input would be greatly appreciated since my wife's nephew has the car sold if I can get it starting right.Thanks.
  • casey78casey78 Posts: 1
    hello all i have a 95 sohc neon that would sputter then stall as if it wasn't getting any fuel i spent over 800 at my local shop's and they couldn't find what was wrong with it so i had my brother inlaw look at it and the problem was so figging simple we pulled the fuel rail off and lo wen behold the injector's were clogged with dirt so we looked around and found that the gas filler neck was rotten and the dodge dealer said this is vary common on these car's from 95 to 99 and it would allow sand and water to get into the tank so before spending to much money try looking to see if you have dirt in the tank after 800 dollar's the real fix was 20 buck's at the junk yard. hope this will help some one.
  • Hello everyone, I am new here... hoping to find some answers here.

I have a 99 neon with automatic transmission. Lately I have been having a bizarre problem. The problem started one day when the car didn't want to start- I had to pump the gas a little bit to get it to turn on. Then when I was pulling out of the parking lot, when I pressed on the break (going less than 5 mph), the car completed stalled out and turned off... luckily I was still in my parking lot. I was able to turn the car back on, and I revved the engine a bit, and then it ran fine.

The car does stall a bit when trying to accelerate, and it seems to get stuck around 40 mph. I really have to press on the gas to get it to go- like when getting on the highway.

The main problem is stalling when I am pressing on the brake slowing down around 5-10 mph it will shudder and stalls out and act like it is going to die. It has not turned off since that first time. It does not do this problem all the time, but lately it seems to be doing it more often.

Any clue of what this could be? I do have an oil leak, but I had the oil changed last weekend, so that should be fine.

Any help is appreciated... I am not a car person at all and I'm tired of getting ripped off by car shops here!
  • My suggestions would be a change of the air filter and spark plugs. If that doesn't work, you might have to try replacing your cam/crank sensors. First and formost, go to a parts sore and pick up the haynes repair manual. It will give you hints on what might be wrong and ways to fix it. It'll also give you a better chance at fixing it WITHOUT having to take it to a shop.
  • poopstainpoopstain Posts: 1
    I've been having the same problem.But I think I may know what they problems is.I don't know the terms for all car parts so forgive my ignorance. I bought a used neon and it would stall and die out on the road and I would have to let it sit for along time to get it running again. I've change fuses spark plug wires and the sparkplug coil box bolted on the top of the engine. I've been told that it can be the coilbox that go out if the engine gets to hot. They are about 100 bucks at autozone. That didn't fix the issue for me though. There is part of the wiring harness that runs along the the air filter box and across the front of the fuel rod. if you move that around it engine will stall. I had to remove the cheap plastic cover on the fuel rod.Then I had to peel off some of the insulation tape zip tie the wires when the car was idling ok. I popped out those U shaped electrical line holder on the air filter box and used the hole to zip tile the electrical line under the airfilter box so it wont move. Until I can the electrical part fix or get rid of this car it seems to help. So start up the car move the electrical wire around nect to the air box and the fuel rod it it start to chug zip tie it so it won't move when your driving otherwise you will have to hitch hike down the road. Because when the engine is moving from shifting the wiring is moving around causing the car to suddenly die out or lose power when driving. Once again I an not a car expert but I messed around with my heap until I found out that was the problem.
  • tech1helptech1help Posts: 18
    sounds like your catalyst converter is plugged up. especially if when you are driving the transmission shifts funny and you can only go around 25-30MPH.can verify with a vacuum gauge which is the more economically correct way. the other you would need a exhaust back pressure gauge which runs around $350
  • I have a 98 Dodge Neon (SOHC) that stalls right after starting (approx. runs for 5 secs.). Once stalled, it will not start for at least an Hour. Fuel pump is pushing plenty of fuel (maybe too much?).
    Engine Codes are clean (no errors found). When I removed the small Purge control hose from the top of the throttle body - the Car does not stall. As a matter of fact, I was able to drive it into the Garage up a slight incline. After sliding the hose back in place - stalling occurs again.

My initial though was fuel pressure regulator. Any/all advice would be greatly appreciaited.

Thanks!
    Michman

Optional Information:
    Year: 1998
    Make: Dodge
    Model: Neon
    Engine: SOHC

Already Tried:
    Just checked Engine Codes - no errors.
    Fuel line pumps ample fuel while turning key.
    Plugs are fouled when engine stalls (removed and checked).
  • mike2222mike2222 Posts: 1
    hi guys
    k have a 97 dodge neon 5 speed
    good battery and sparks ok..engine turns over no fuel probs but it still wont start..any help guys
  • i have a 95 plymoth neon sohc 5 speed
    a few months ago it i would be driving and it would chug and wanna stall inless i gave it gas and if no gas it would stall or sometimes i would start it and it would stall right away inless i gave it gas when i started it it did that off and on for about 2-3 months now today it drove fine got to the store came out and it started but i needed to give it gas to keep it running then it stalled and would not start at all like the fuel pump whent out well i tryed agine few hours later gave it gas will tryin to start it it fired up with no problem what could the problem within in the lat 5 months all the follwing items have been replaced plugs, wires, fuel pump, fuel filter,clutch, head gaskets, within in 2 years the computer control has been replaced no i do know my neck filler looks really rusted and i know i have a gas tank leak if i fill it over half tank it will flow out know would could the problem be? i dont wanan buy gas tank and fuel neck filler and that not be the problem i know i need it but moneys tight need to get main problem fix please help me thanks in advance

i know its not a vaccum leak but i did also notice when the fuel pump fuse is in the computer (brain ) makes a buzzing noise i replaced the relay still same thing when i take the fuse out no bussing sound any idead thanks in advance
  • andres3andres3 CAPosts: 5,343
    is the biggest Lemon every conceived, built, and made.