Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Mercedes Benz E-Class Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 3,875
    GREAT! ENJOY!!!

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

• Hey Guys,

Wanted to see what you think on the deal for a 2011 E550 euro delivery (i did not choose this type of delivery it was the only E550 around in S. Cal that had an MSRP where I wanted it

P1
    Sport Package
    Drive Dynamic Comfort Seats with Massage
    IPOD integration

MSRP: 63,340
    Price Agreed to 54,340
    Money Factor .00245 but did 10 security payments @ 700 so .00175 (i think they made .00005 on the mf, unless it changed in september)
    Residual 55%
    Monthly payment including CA tax $712
    10,000 miles
    36 month lease
    $2,000 at signing (first month, DMV, title etc)

What do you guys think?
  • Guys... I am getting ready so sign this deal. Please let me know what you think before I do.

2011 E350 4matic
    White/Almond
    Sport
    P1 Package
    Rear Spoiler
    Folding Rear Seats

Good Luck

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

• It's likely that waiting for the 2012 will cost you about $6k (loss of conquest money plus reduced discount).

Only you can judge if it's worth waiting for:

New more powerful more economical engine and tweak of transmission
    (slightly) upgraded comand system (but may have some updates coming
    Improved (or more colorful) dash
    move iphone/aux connector from glove box to center console
    Straight LED parking lights

Externally, no one will know if it's a 2011 or 2012; internally they won't know either unless they notice the dash is more colorful.

Resale of the 2012 will be higher when you sell...but then again, you will be paying more for it because of the loss of discount $'s.
  • Hello.
    Would appreciate some guidance on which options packages I should select if I want:

Ventilated seats - I see that P1 includes heated seats, does this include the ventilated seats? or do you have to upgrade to the dynamic seat w/ massage?

Parking Sensors: I prefer sensors over the backup camera (I've had both). I see that P1 includes the backup camera and have seen E-classes with sensors but I doubt the backup camera comes with the sensors. Do I need to get the Parktronic package to get the sensors?

Pre Paid Maintenance: I haven't see any pro/cons discussions regarding prepaying for maintenance with MB. Scheduled oil changes are every 10k miles due to the synthetic oil. I'm a low mileage driver (9k/year), but have had some unpleasant surprises with the cost of routine scheduled maintenance with my Infiniti. Prepaying sounds like a good idea, but would appreciate thoughts on this.

Thanks!
  • For ventilated seats, I believe you have to upgrade to leather seats.

If you want the parking sensors, you have to get parktronic

Maintenance depends on how you want to maintain the car. If you are leasing then you have to follow mercedes maintenance schedule so pay it now or pay it later. The only risk with paying up front is if you total the car before you've needed the prepaid maintenance. Otherwise, you're probably going to pay it or do what you think the car really needs and take your chances.
  • storm10storm10 Posts: 175
    Yes, you need Parktronic to get sensors for front and rear bumper...

It's definitely good idea to get pre-paid maintenance, especially if you lease, because you can residualize maintenance cost in the lease. Even though you'll use 100% of services - you can deduct residual percentage from it, so you'll save about 45% of the cost of maintenance overall.

Also, you'll need to improve your negotiating skills before going to the dealership. Just saw this article: Art of Negotiation. Talks about how to deal with dealers. Highly recommend...
  • sorry, but that last information is wrong.

The residual value is based on the MSRP of the car. Other fees that are rolled into a lease such as the origination fee, maintenance fee,.....are paid in full over the life of the lease. Those fees are not residualized..... It's just a question of whether you want to pay them now, or spread the cost out.

It may be advantagious to pay them, in fact, up front if you are going to (wisely) take the multiple security deposit because each security deposit is equal to your monthly payment. If you include those fees that you are going to pay in full over the life of the lease up front, then your monthly payment will be less and each multiple security deposit will then be less. Don't confuse this with putting money down on the lease....you have to explain and watch what the dealer does carefully.
    "sorry, but that last information is wrong.

The residual value is based on the MSRP of the car. Other fees that are rolled into a lease such as the origination fee, maintenance fee,.....are paid in full over the life of the lease. Those fees are not residualized..... It's just a question of whether you want to pay them now, or spread the cost out.
    ".

With all due respect. There are numbers of items that can be residualized in the lease. MB pre-paid maintenance is one of them. That's why it's wise to include it in the lease upfront, because you save money! Just make sure the prepaid maintance is original Mercedes and not aftermarket. You can not residualize aftermarket services.
  • richardnvarichardnva Posts: 74
    edited September 2011
    Thanks for the feedback.

What is the "typical" maintenance schedule for an E-Class?
    I see that the 3 year prepaid maintenance is $769.
    If oil changes are every 10k miles and I only drive 10k/year then I plan on only needing about three oil changes / tire rotations over a 3 year period
    I'm guestimating that MB oil changes are a minimum of $100 and probably about $125, so that would $375 for 3 oil changes.
    I'm guessing there's a "major" service interval around 15k miles where they replace all the filters and other service items.
    I don't see how all that adds up to almost $800 over three years.
    Would appreciate some feedback on this.
    Thanks!
  • Maintenance can be added to the lease, but you are incorrect in thinking that you only pay the original cost less the residual value. If you add in $800 of maintenance to your two year e350 Bluetec lease, do you really think that you only pay 25% of that amount over the life of the lease? You pay $800 (plus interest by the way) over the 24 months.

Just because you add something like maintenance or fees to the cost of the lease doesn't mean you now only pay 25% of it ...

Think about it....
    I'm absolutely correct. The trick is MBF will let you residualize only certain amount like $699 or close to it. So you can increase your residual dollar amount by $699. Now the dealer can sell you maintenance for example for $899 and it will raise the selling price. Unfortunately only $699 part will be residualized.

However, you are right, 24 month lease does not make sense to get maintenance, because you'll service your car only once during the entire lease. MB prepaid maintenance is minimum 2yrs/ 24 months, so it will be waste of money...
    Well, if you take your car to Jiffy Lube and they screw up something, guess what: warranty will not cover the repair! And besides changing oil, dealers do a lot of other staff. If you take your car to the dealership there will be 3 services within 3 years:

Service A is about $250;
    Service B is about $400;
    Service C is about $300.

If you put maintenance in the lease - you will save, because it will be residualized. Here is what you need to do:

1st make a deal. AFTER you make a deal and agree on the monthly payment. Only after that, you need to tell them that you need to add pre-paid maintanance for no more than $10-$12 per month. If they don't want it, then you walk and NO DEAL!... Trust me they'll take it.

$10 x 36 months = $360. You do the math...
  • ghstudioghstudio Posts: 968
    edited September 2011
    storm10....I will stop by my dealer tomorrow, we'll call mercedes together and see which of us is correct.

I think you are confusing "negotiating" with the mechanics/calculations of the mercedes lease....but I have been wrong before. However, Mercedes does have maintainance as an option on the car in their configurator, which is why I am now very curious.....
  • Thanks. What's the trigger for the A,B,C service intervals?
    Is it mileage (Service A @ 10,000 miles),
    or time based (Service A @ 1 year)

I'm considering a 3 year least and wondering if I average 10k miles/year resulting in 30,000 miles over the life of the lease if I'd ever hit the trigger for the C Service.

Thanks!
  • In theory, it is whichever comes first. From a practical standpoint, most probably just follow the miles and ignore the time.

I can't answer the other part of your question. Mercedes does insist that you get the services done, as part of the lease agreement, but if you are returning the car back at the end of three years with around 30K miles on it, my guess is that you would not have to do the C service.
    No need to call to MB, just talk with dealerships Finance Manager. I'm talking exactly about mechanics/calculations. But you can still negotiate the selling price of the maintenance package.

By the way, besides maintenance, you can residualize rear seat video systems, spoilers, wheels, running boards etc...
  • Guys, I leased my E350 for 33 months at the end of April. The final item that the finance guy did was showed me that I could get the two year maintenance for less than $10/month in my lease. That is less than $330 for the two year maintenance. I of course took it where before I had initially rejected it.
  • This is getting much more interesting. My dealer did not offer me the mercedes STAR service package....they only offered their "premium service package." I just talked to their finance manager who waffled around about how maintenance is handled on a lease. I asked her to do some research and come back with facts, not guesses. It will be interesting to see how this comes out....you may have saved me some money on my car.

Every time I lease, I learn something new.....
    Don't forget, if you leased for 24 months/20,000 miles, this program may not work for you very well, because you'll need only 1 maitenance. Chances are you'll get out from your lease a few months early, because they have this Loyalty programs.
  • I found the maintenance schedule here:
    http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalAssets/pdfmb/maintenancebooklets/2011_Mainten- ance_Manual.pdf

Scheduled maintenance is every:
    5000 miles = tire rotation
    10,000 miles or 1 year = oil change, wiper blades, fluids

So on a 3 year lease assuming <10,000 miles/year, would I need the 3 year maintenance plan or would the 2 year do?

I'd return the car right before the third major service interval.

The third year's tire rotation would be out of the plan.
    Does anyone know how much just a tire rotation would be at a MB dealer?
    Thoughts on this approach?
  • When you turn in your car, they will measure tread depth....they don't care if you rotated the tires once, five times or never. If your measured tread is too low, it won't matter if you did rotations on schedule or not.
    1st of all, I would not go for 36 mo. On 2011 E350 sedan you need to go 24 or 33 months...
  • reh4reh4 Posts: 3
    Sorry for my tardy reply. We only had the USAA $4k discount and a customer loyalty discount for owning a MB. As I mentioned in my original post, the sticker on the car was $56,495 (P1/Folding Rear Seat/Spoiler/Wheels). On my sales contract, it shows the sales price of the vehicle as $50,000 and then it shows a $4,000 rebate has been applied. bringing the price to $46K. So, I honestly can't tell you how they structured their discounts. I was more concerned with the bottom line.

I read through the posts here, and then went into the dealership and told them what I wanted. Their first offer was $48,400. I told them I would pay $46,000 and they agreed (my husband and I were both surprised because there was no haggling) We had financing lined up through Pentagon Federal at 2.49% for 5 years and they offered to match it, I told them they needed to beat the rate for us to go with them and they offered 1.99% for 60 months (the loan is actually through Bank of America instead of MB Financial).

We only paid the tax, title and license fees required here in Texas. I made sure there were no add-on fees for using their financing. We purchased the car instead of leasing - so I don't know if that makes a difference. I did not trade my old car in.

They had to bring the car from another dealership (we got the Iridium silver with the wheel package - tough to find in Houston) and we had to wait an extra couple of days. The car had just over 100 miles on it when it arrived, and I was planning on walking from the deal. They ended up throwing in the window tint and the maintenance package to salvage the deal.

Hope the information is helpful. We purchased the car at MB Houston North.
  • Hi, regarding the Parktronic, it's on our 2011 E350 4matic, and we have the P1 with back up camera. I didn't find Parktronic to be designed welll, as the audible sounds only kick in about a low 2 feet and they don't get louder/intense as you get closer. There are some visual light bars on the command screen that indicate closeness. I found this system not as easy to use as the basic beeps on the Hondas.
  • Woooohhhh.... back up. "The car had just over 100 miles on it when it arrived, and I was planning on walking from the deal."

Ummm, why? They had to get the car from another dealer!! It's 100 miles.... and you thretened to walk away? Just curious why 100 miles would make you walk away from the deal. Personally, if I were the dealer, I would have laughed you off of the lot.... Come on, man.... get real.

I just picked up a white 2011 E350 4matic on Saturday. They didn't have the exact car I wanted, so they also had to get it from another dealer. The car had 240 miles when I took delivery.
  • Any idea why MB uses a 33 month term instead of 36?
    I've had 2 other leases and they've both been 36 month.
    Not a big deal either way, just curious as to the rationale.
    Thanks.
  • Thanks for the feedback on the Parktronic. If I'm going to get P1 anyway, doesn't sound like the extra money for parktronic is worth it. I have a backup camera now and it's fine. My wife had sensors on her SUV and I prefered the "no look" detection and the extra sensors on the front bumper. I'll probably skip the parktronic, I don't need the park assist since I never need to parallel park where I live. Thanks!
  • Right, I understand the issue with tread depth. That wasn't my point. Tire rotation helps even out the wear, but doesn't necessarily prevent/reduce wear. Since I drive less than 10k a year, I don't anticipate having to buy new tires at the end of a three year lease.

I was asking how much MB charges for a tire rotation.

I'm trying to get an accurate assessment of the total cost of ownership for the first three years.

I understand that I have to get the car serviced at MB if I lease it, but is it worth it to use the prepaid maintenance or if I'm a low mileage driver is it advantegous to go "a la carte"?

To phrase it another way, it I didn't prepay the maintenance, what maintenance costs should I expect to pay.
    How much is an "a la carte" oil change?
    How much is a tire rotation?
    What else could I expect to pay?

I took my Infiniti in for scheduled maintence at around 12,000 or 15,000 and it was over $600, largely due to the replacement of "wear" items like multiple air and cabin filters, wipers, etc. Big surprise, so I'm trying to get info on what to expect from MB.

BTW: Infiniti as also started charging a $6/day fuel charge on loaner cars... :confuse: The cost isn't the issue, it's the fact that they don't tell you up front and the promise of the "free" loaner during the sale.