Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Mercedes Benz E-Class Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Ventilated seats require you to first upgrade to Leather seats. You can't get the ventilated seats with the MB tex. So it's a double whammy, cost of leather+cost of optional ventilation. Both separate options that must be ordered separately from other options.
  • abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 3,932
    Yes! From what I have learned from the general manager at the dealer I buy my cars from is that the MBtex does not "give". Additionally, if you perforate a vinyl, it weakens it. That is why you must order leather.

And, you are correct in your statement that it is a double whammy. Leather is 1620 dollars along with the 500 dollars or so for the ventilated seats (all they do is perforate all the leather with holes and add a fan under each seat). So, you are paying over 2000 dollars to get ventilated seats. As I have mentioned before on this site, Mercedes Benz just seems to refuse to make leather standard, as does BMW (you must purchase Dakota leather or a premium package to get leather) on the E 350 as well as the C class. When you are purchasing a car for 56000 (or 62,350 in my case), you would think leather should be standard. Leather is standard on INfiniti, LExus, Jaguar, Cadillac, Lincoln, to name a few. Why not MErcedes?

I rest my case!

2015 Mercedes Benz E400

• Do some research. Many buyers don't want leather. Myself, yes, but I'm on my way right now to pick up a 2012 Merc for my wife that has MB-TEX. She insisted on it because of durability, wear characteristics, and ease of cleaning.
    I agree with you. I"ve had MBtex on all my E350's, and quite frankly, I prefer that over leather. But, unfortunately, in order to get the ventilated seats, you must order leather. The ventilated seats cannot be ordered with MBtex. So, as you can see, I was forced to get the leather.

What I was trying to communicate is that most luxury cars come standard with leather. Mercedes does not, at least in its C and E class cars. As I also stated, I cannot tell the difference between MBtex and leather, with the exception of the aroma in the car from the leather.

If given a choice (which I was not), I would have the MBTex, especially here in Florida where the hot sun eventually deteriorates the leather.

2015 Mercedes Benz E400

• ghstudioghstudio Posts: 968
    I am south florida and I opted for the light beige M-tex interior rather than upgrading to leather with ventilated seats. The A/C is terrific in this car and I have not regretted my decision. If I wanted a black interior, I think I might have opted for the leather.

For those wondering why Mercedes doesnt make leather standard....the answer is obvious....competitive pricing combined with profit.
  • Ya know, the MB is perforated but to be honest I did feel they were a little warmer than leather.
  • sp11sp11 Posts: 6
    Thanks for your input.

But for 2012 you can get a walnut burl interior with the sport model.

I saw this in the cars I was looking at.
  • bevbranbevbran Posts: 40
    I am happy to hear you say that USAA incentives will always be available. I'm counting on that and MBFinancial--and aware that they limit stacking of "certificates" beyond that. I was surprised that they thought the car would be delivered before the end of the year---I think that's wishful thinking! No worries---I've got lots of time left on my lease and it gives me time to save a little extra to cover my P2 splurge. :-)
  • bevbranbevbran Posts: 40
    Yes, you're absolutely right---I saw that myself the other day! A beautiful option.
  • Recently bought a close out 2011. Traded my 2010 E350. Gas mileage on the 2011 is improved. Just made a 200+ mi. freeway trip and averaged 31.5 @ 65mph. My car is a late production model for 2011. That with only 900 mi. on it and running the A/C.
    That and $9500 off made my day. Sure I would like a 2012 but don't think that I went wrong. Have P2 pkg.
    edited November 2011
    Interesting comment about fuel economy. I have had a 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and now a 2012. The only difference between these cars, "engine wise" is the 2012 with the higher horsepower and improved fuel economy. Let me share with yhou my experiences regarding fuel economy.

Each car gave me a different average fuel economy. The best fuel economy I ever got on the E350 was on the 2010 (with the exception of the 2012). I got 29 mph on the highway at sustained speeds of 65 mph. City mpg was horrible, 15 - 16 mpg at best.

My 2011 was the worst. The best I could get was 26.5 mpg at sustained speeds of 65 mph in cruise control. No matter what gasoline I used, no matter what I did, I could not get more than 26.5 mpg.

My 2008 and 2009 got 27.5 average mpg at sustained highway speeds.

My 2012 currently gives me 32.2 mpg highway, but remember, it only has 345 miles on it and has not begun to break in yet. So I am expecting to get what my twin brother gets on his 2012 E coupe, 33.5 mpg. I know the coupe is a little lighter in weight, but still great economy.

So, in summary, it depends on the vehicle! In other words, your new 2011 gets 31.5, yet mine couldn't get more than 26.5. My service manager has a 2011 exactly like the one I had, and he gets 28.6 mpg. Each car delivers a different mpg average

Good luck with your new E350. If you enjoy it half as much as I did, you'll be in heaven.

The only reason I got the 2012 was for improved performance and economy. And so far, I'm getting exactly that.

2015 Mercedes Benz E400

• Leased a new 2011 E350 with Premium-1 yesterday.

33-month lease
    $3000 drive-off cost
    Prepaid maintenance for the duration of the lease
    15,000 miles/yr
    $587/month, all inclusive.
  • Mike, how's the difference in engines (2011, 2012) feel to you? I have the new engine and didn't own an '11 but drove one a few times. I think the old engine kind of had a low thrum to it and new one has a more snarly or growling sound over the top of the low hum.

The torque curve seems a little higher on the '12 and when it kicks in about 3k rpms it turns into a beast. It kind of begs to be wound up. Haven't had much chance to do that as it's still new.

Couldn't check gas mileage yet either - only gone through a half a tank.
    There is really no comparison (2011 to 2012). The 2012 responds quickly at low rpm's, especially when just starting off from a standing stop. You have be very careful as the engine responds so quickly. The same is true at middle rpm's. When I am on the highway, and want to pass another vehicle, I no longer have to kick it down hard to get to the speed I need to attain in order to pass. It just seems to accelerate without kicking it down.

I noted your comment about the sound of the engine. The 2011 sounded "tinnier", while the 2012 sounds "throatier". Even from a standing stop, as you accelerate, the engine sounds more like a V8 thand a V6. To be honest, it sounds like a muscle car. Not obnoxiously loud, just very "throaty". Remember, they retooled the engine with the new dual intakes boosting horsepower by 34 and boosting torque by 38 lb ft.

What amazes me is that they produced an engine with formidible horsepower (302) and increased fuel eonomy substantially.

When you compare this engine to the BMW 535i, the Mercedes Benz responds more quickly (300 hp vs 302 hp). Yet the BMW has higher torque than the Benz. We own a new 535i, and I find the Benz quicker and more responsive. They weigh about the same, but you are comparing an inline 6 with a V6.

Yes, this car is definitely a huge improvement over the 2011 and 2010 performance-wise.

2015 Mercedes Benz E400

• mb18mb18 Posts: 1
    Hi experts, How much below invoice should I be able to get the 2012 E350 Sedan fully loaded? What other incentives are allowed if I do not own a competitive car and MB finance account?

thanks in advance for your answer.
    edited November 2011
    Hi, mb18. I do not consider myself and "expert", however I do know alot about the E350 sedan.

I do not know what you mean by "loaded". There are so many different packages and options, some which you may not want or desire. Besides, it doesn't matter how loaded a mercedes is in determining the best price.

The only incentives I have seen are for financing rates (1.9%) and a lease special. I am not aware of any other incentives at the present time. You would have to check with your dealer or with "Edmunds" and build the car you want, exactly. Edmunds, the last time I checked, does not show prices yet for the E350 sedan, but "cars.com" does show them, along with invoice.

The rule of thumb with Mercedes Benz E350 sedans for determining dealer invoice is to subtract 875 from the MSRP. Multiply that number by .935 to determine the approximate dealer invoice (give or take 100 or so dollars), then add back the 875 (delivery charge). That will give you dealer invoice, but remember, TRUE DEALER COST IS ABOUT 3% LESS THAN THAT IF YOU INCLUDE HOLD BACK AND SPECIAL FACTORY INCENTIVES. which most dealers are reluctant to part with until the very end of the model year, and since the E350 sedans just hit the dealerships, and most dealers only have about 6 or 10 of them in inventory, they are not going to be very anxious to discount these cars very heavily.

Remember, I paid $55,300 + tax and dealer fees for my car, with an MSRP or sticker price of $62325.00 because I had the USAA incentive and the Mercedes Benz Financial incentive.

You ask the question, "HOW MUCH BELOW INVOICE" can I get a 2012 E350 sedan. My response would be, "...you would be lucky to get one right now for a thousand under MSRP Sticker.

2015 Mercedes Benz E400

• Hi,

I (think) have a great offer on a new 2011 Blutec with P2 package for 48500 before tax and title. Do you think there is more room to negotiate the price down? From my research it looks like this is below invoice considering the options and trim. What am I missing here? Is the dealer selling it at a loss?

Also regarding the prepaid maintenance ... is that negotiable or is it a standard price that MB has on their website? Do you recommend that I take it for atleast the first 4 years? Does this maintenance cover the bluetec liquid refill that is required every 10,000 miles?
  • revrasrevras Posts: 59
    coming out of a 2009 E350 lease in March. Currently paying $500 for 15k year w 1800 upfront costs which were due at signing. Any way I can accomplish the same sort of deal in today's financial climate? I know I am eligible for pull ahead, so could get out of lease now and loyalty incentive as well. Think there will be better deals for December etc. ?Right now I am getting quotes for about $660 for 12k lease , 1800 upfront for E 350 lux p1 package. Thanks .

Who knows it might be time for that Buick Lacrosse AWD.. eeek.
    First, without knowing MSRP, there is no way to tell how you are doing. If the car has a P2 package, I am assuming the MSRP is around 59,000. IF he offered you 48,500, I would consider that a good deal. There is no change in cars from 2011 to 2012, so there is no incentive to buy a 2012.

As for maintenance, I would offer him 49,000 plus 3 years of maintenance. See what he says.

2015 Mercedes Benz E400

edited November 2011
    what's the $1800 up front??? bad idea. Use the same money for multiple security deposits. If they won't give you the maintenance, see if you can add it to the lease like any other feature so you only pay the residualized amount (if the car is worth 50% at the end of the lease, you would only pay 50% or the maintenance cost....if you can residualize it). Different dealers seem to think it can or can't be done...and both have been accepted by mercedes finance.
  • bknycbknyc Posts: 57
    List $68,605- P2, Apperance, Metallic paint, Lane Departure....36 month lease, 10k miles, 3 yr maint. plan. $695 p/month (including NJ sales tax) $1900 out of pocket (1st month, title, reg, tags, bank fee) also includes fleet of $2k and loyalty of $2k-

Thoughts???
    Use multiple security deposits which may reduce your monthly payments considerably. Why pay the bank fee up front...just roll it into the lease.
  • bknycbknyc Posts: 57
    Do yo u know if the price seems ok?
    edited November 2011
    I think you are mistaken. Let's assume a lease (not including taxes) without multiple security deposits is 500 per month for a 36 month lease. That is $18,000 you are going to pay out for the lease term without any money out of pocket. Let us assume you put out a multiple security deposit, all you are doing is reducing the interest rate you are going to pay on the lease. It does not reduce anything else, just the money factor, which is the interest. If you put any money down, let's say $1800, that means you would be paying $20.00 a month less, or $480 a month, for the lease.

If you roll your down payment and security deposit into the lease, and let's assume it is $2000.00, that means you are increasing the lease cost by $55.00 per month.

I was a general manager in a new car dealership for many years, and I've never heard of "disappearing" payments like you describe.

Every dime you put down divided by 36 is what you will reduce your monthly payment by. Every dime you roll into your lease multiplied by 36 is what you will pay. You save nothing more than a reduced interest or money factor rate, that's all. If you save 2% in interest, that's all you save, the 2% interest on the total amount borrowed (total amount borrowed is the total cost of the car, not just the cost of the lease as the leasing company or leasing arm of the motor car division is purchasing the total car, then renting it to you for a fixed term.

Mulitple security deposits are good if they reduce the interest rate or money factor significantly, which is not the case in most instances due to the low money factor (assuming good credit of 720 or higher) at the present time due to the low cost of money in today's market.

Is this what you were trying to communicate? That you save money by reducing the money factor of the lease? If so, you are correct. If you mean you can save payments or by rolling more into the lease you are only paying the residualized portion, that is incorrect. Whatever you roll into the lease is mulitplied by the months for which you are leasing the vehicle. IN other words, one way or the other, you will pay that amount, not the leasing company.

And as for the bank fee, if it is 1000.00, divide that by 36 months, and that is what you will add to the monthly payment PLUS interest.

2015 Mercedes Benz E400

• revrasrevras Posts: 59
    good point.. I am not sure what the 1800$ is. I have MB loyalty as I am in a current lease and should not have to pay for a new security deposit Im thinking as well. Any other ideas as to what the $`1800 upfront cost line as standard refers to?
    edited November 2011
    Unfortunately, although you were the general manager of a dealership, you may have never taken the time to actually run two cases....one where a buyer puts $5000 down vs one where the buyer puts nothing down and uses the $5000 for multiple security deposits. Ask a friend or dealer to run both those cases...and then compare the total amount payed over the life of the lease. I've done it, and I have taken two finance managers and general managers thru the numbers after calculating both leases and they saw why MSD's were a good deal. Now they both offer multiple security deposits to folks because it saves the customer money. BTW, you can compare the multiple security case to a case where the customer pays nothing down and doesn't do multiple security deposits...Multiple Security Deposits are still the best way to go, if you can afford to make them. Effectively you are earning about 10% on the money you are loaning Mercedes. I'd rather do that then have that $5000 sitting in the bank making less than 1%.

As far as building maintenance into the lease, Mercedes, for some unknown reason, seems to allow you to treat maintenance just like a feature on the car. As you know, you pay the difference between the negotiated price for the car and it's residual value over the life of the lease ... plus interest. Since maintenance is considered a feature, you pay only 100-the residual percent over the life of the lease. If the residual is 75% on a two year lease, (e.g. e class bluetec) you would pay only 25% of the total cost of the maintenance or $250 plus some interest, even though you would get $1000 worth of maintenance. I know this sounds crazy...but that's how some dealers do mercedes leases if you buy mercedes maintenance (I should say that some dealers do it this way...others say you can't do this...Mercedes has accepted both leases and never questioned them...but I can't tell you what Mercedes instructs dealers to do, I can only talk about what customers have been able to do....read back in this forum).
    It may just be a down payment to make the monthly payments look lower....in my view, you shouldn't have to put any money down...it's a poor financial decision.
    Like I told you, you save money on interest, that's all you save. I'm not going to argue with you about this. Let's see if anyone else has something to say on this topic.

2015 Mercedes Benz E400

• ghstudio is indeed correct on the money saved over the total lease term vs. putting money down (cap cost reduction). I was skeptical as well, but I made a simple excel spreadsheet, and to my surprise, the total money I would put in was higher under a downpayment scenario with base MF. A quick example follows below,

Assumptions:
    MSRP = $60K
    Sale Price = $52500 (assume discount $7500)
    Lease = 24/12
    Assume RV = 76%
    Assume MF = 0.00200
    Tax rate = 8%

Scenario 1. Put $5000 downpayment, No MSD
    Monthly depreciation = $125
    Monthly interest charges = $188
    Monthly payment (including tax) = $338
    Total money in over lease term = $13752 (includes DMV fees)

Scenario 2. Put $0 down, MSD + autopay (0.0008 MF reduction)
    Monthly depreciation = $333
    Monthly interest charge = $119
    Monthly payment (including tax) = $488
    Total money in over lease term = $12354 (includes DMV fees)

As you can see, the monthly payment under scenario 1 is much less than scenario 2, but because of the $5k down, one ends up paying ~$1500 more over the life of the lease.
    Yes, I agree. But it is because of the reduced interest. When you put 5000 into a multiple security deposit, you are reducing the amount of interest charged over the term of the lease. I have no disagreement about savings. The only disagreement I had was why there was a savings. By putting down multiple security deposits, the interest on the loan is reduced.

Most people do not choose the multiple security deposit option because they don't want to put that much money out up front, even though they get that money back. I, personally, would put out the money up front in order to save substantially on the lease.

But I haven't leased a car in many years. I buy them, especially with an interest rate of 1.65% interest over 66 months. It's almost like getting free money to use, if you know what I mean. The most I would get on $18000 (the amount I financed) over a 5 year 6 month period is 1.2% compounded. So I'm actually using their money for a net of .45%, simple interest, not counting the income tax I would have to pay on the interest. Additionally, because preowned Mercedes Benz vehicles that are between 2 and 3 years old have increased substantially in value over the past few years, I find it wiser in my situation, being retired, to purchase, not lease. I cannot deduct anything from my taxes for leasing because I am not working any longer. Who knows how much longer we will be able to deduct business expenses from our income taxes, especially the way both parties are talking about flat taxes or "flatter" tax rates.

Only time will tell. And thanks for taking the time to respond.

2015 Mercedes Benz E400