Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Mercedes Benz E-Class Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• drjmakdrjmak Posts: 19
    What does everybody think of a lease of $586 a month( tax is included in lease payment) for 2012 E350 sport 4matic 10k/yr for 33 months with P1 pkg, rear spoiler, comfort box split folding rear...MSRP 58,495. That price is with nothing down except for nl inception fees . 626 for 24 months
  • abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 3,893
    What are the inception costs? You state there is nothing "down". What is the .626 for 24 months? Certainly not the money factor on a different lease?

In other words, your info does not provide enough to give you adequate feedback.

Is the lease for 33 months or 24 months?

What does the ".626 for 24 mean"?

What are the exact inceptions and please break the inception fees down?

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

• lawcarlawcar Posts: 81
    edited January 2012
    The new E350 doesn't have electric folding side view mirrors. This is handy if parking on a narrow street, or driving through a narrow 2-way street. You can manually fold them in, but if you need to do quickly, there is a problem. With all of the electronic features they have, I was surprised they don't have this. The owners manual said that Canadian models have this feature though. Wonder why. That said, it's a great car.
    edited January 2012
    Yes, I agree completely with your criticism. BMW has had this feature on their 5 series cars since 2007 - I had a 2006 and when I got my 2007, it had become a standard feature on the 535i.

The only time I miss that feature is when I have to take the Mercedes in for a car wash at a carwash. That is a rarity since my Mercedes dealer in Delray Beach provides me with complimentary car washes once a week. But it is definitely an important feature, especially in tight-fitting parking spaces in malls or in bank parking lots.

I can't explain the rationale for Canadian models having it and US models devoid of the power side-view mirrors. They are not even available as an extra-cost option. I am going to bet that it will be added to the P1 and/or P2 package in the next year or two. Think of it in the same way you do "optional" leather interiors. Why leather seats are not standard on the E350 has been a sore point with E350 owners. 98% of all luxury automobiles in the $57,000 and up category have leather as a standard feature. BMW does not have leather seats standard on their 5 series cars either, but is added when the premium package is ordered. On the E350, it is only available as a stand-alone extra cost option and is not part of the P1 or P2 package, which it should be.

BMW has changed their add-on options from an a-la-carte approach to a "package" approach. When I ordered my BMW's from the factory, which was rare, to get a the premium audio system or a rear sunshade or leather seats or xenon lights or navigation, etc., these were available as stand-alone options only. Now, BMW makes these available in several package offerings.

This is just a flaw in Mercedes Benz's marketing strategy. If they sampled prospective Mercedes Benz owners, they would find out that we want leather and power-retractable side-view mirrors, etc., as standard features.

Excellent observation about side mirrors.

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

• Hi again,
    I visited the dealer Euromotorcars and this is what he offered me for e350 sport with p1, and some other stuff..
    Negotiated price $52392 includes conquest rebate of $2000
    Sticker was $58500
    MB prepaid Maintenance 1560
    Wheel n tire protect 1995
    Acquisition fee 795
    Sales tax (MD) full taxes 3155
    License 340
    Doc fee 199
    33 month lease 12k miles per yr
    Monthly payment 803.95
    Down payment 5293

Let me know what you think.
    Thanks.
    edited January 2012
    I do not believe that is a good deal! If you are putting 5293 down, which covers most of your add-ons, I believe you can do much better. I would go to at least 2 other dealerships and compare pricing on a lease like yours. To go to just one dealer is like commiting new car suicide.

I have one question - it seems like you are paying all the sales taxes up front -is that normal for your state. I do know that some states require that taxes be paid up front on leases - so check to make sure your state requires up-front payment of taxes on your lease. If not, you are in even worse shape than I thought!

I was just a my dealership and found out the following:

All new E350's currently at the port are being "held" until February because they are now coming in from Germany with the ability to burn gasoline that is 85% ethanol. The E350's sold prior to that cannot burn 85% ethanol, only 90% ethanol. That is the reason there has been a shortage of 2012 E350 Sedans - they were not building sufficient quantities of the engine version that cannot burn 85% enthanol - they were waiting until the new version of the engine was introduced in February. Very interesting, to say the least. That is why they had such "rich" incentives on the 2012 through December - to sell all of the previous versions unable to burn 85% enthanol. Who ever said the Germans weren't smart? Not me! I just hope that the 2012 versions sold prior to that date don't lose tremendous value due to the inability to burn 85% enthanol!

Also found out why Mercedes has resisted making leather seating standard - it's because they sell thousands and thousands of E class sedans in Europe and Asia as TAXI CABS! Cabbies do not want leather in their E class sedans because leather does not wear as well as the MB Tex. I knew there had to be a reason, and now we have the reason. Of course, Mercedes could make leather standard on all E class sedans produced for export to the U.S., but that would be too simple, I guess.

My apologies. I meant to say "10%" and "15%" ethanol, not 90% and 85%. The new E350's can burn 15% ethanol while those sold prior to February can only burn 10% ethanol. Sorry for the confusion.

• bevbranbevbran Posts: 40
    Odd that they wouldn't have made that change at the time they switched to the new engine for the '12s....
    edited January 2012
    What can I say? The EPA is requiring all manufacturers who sell cars and trucks in the U.S. to ensure that their engines can run on 85% gasoline and 15% ethanol. I don't know the effective date of that requirement, but it is obvious Mercedes is making sure their vehicles meet those EPA requirements.

To burn up to 15% ethanol, the fuel/air mixture must be set up correctly by the computer that literally runs the engine. Also, in order to maintain the 302 horsepower specs and the torque specs, obviously the engine intakes and fuel mixtures must be adjusted. One of the first consequences of higher ethanol fuels is a drop in fuel economy, however octane is also affected.

It will be interesting to see what happens when these revised engines hits showrooms and the responses of the new owners to their experiences with the revised engines.

• I did make sure that Maryland is one of those few states that requires all the sales tax to be paid upfront for the leased vehicles however if you decide to buy the same exact vehicle at the end of the lease you don't need to pay the tax again. I added 2000 miles more per year and wheel and tire protection as well as prepaid maintenance which was $1590 and the tax title and tags. Do you think a $1590 is reasonable for 33 months maintenance?
    I am planning to go to another dealer as well.
    Maintenance from Mercedes for 36 months is about $1000. You are also getting the tire and wheel insurance package as well, then that is a good price.

It's always smart to go to at least three dealerships, if at all possible to make sure you get the best deal. I am not an expert on leasea, but I do know that money factors have gone up considerably since January 3rd.

Hope I've helped you out a little!

On the topic of fuel economy, after my first tank I'm at 25mpg. Keeping in mind I have the 4Matic and spent (too much) time at idle while getting acquainted with the car, syncing garage door opener, etc. etc. I think that's pretty good. My driving is mixed, some highway, some around town and in my '09 I was usually in the 22-23 mpg range.
    After two weeks of driving this fabulous car I am more convinced than ever that P2 was worth the money... for me. (Silly as it sounds, the trunk closer is great! How pathetic is it that I want to push a button to close a trunk, LOL...) Headlights well worth the money for P2. Learning curve is quite steep for all the voice command, sound, nav, electronic display---every day I learn something new and appreciate this fine ride even more.
    The fuel economy will improve. I have 1800 miles on the car now and this morning, I drove 48 miles on I-95 at 65 mph and got 32 miles per gallon. Remember, that is strictly highway driving. Combined highway and city is 25.7 mpg. That is 5 mpg better than I ever got ony 2011. That, to me, is significant. All it can do is get better as the car begins to break-in.

As for your learning curve, I still pick up new functions every week. Yesterday, I decided to listen to some CD's. I played around with some readouts and found a function selection that allows me to select a CD by "ALBUM COVER" instead of title. What tun happens is that a kind of "round-table" comes up and shows each album cover and you then "turn" this table around until the album cover that you want cones to the front center. Each album cover is in fill color and shows the exact cover as if it was in your hand. truly unbelievable. My 2011 did not have that capability. Even when the CD is playing, the album cover, in full color is displayed. I believe either Gracenote picks it up off each CD once it is read by the computer or some other audio function picks it up.

You'll see the function once you start selecting options on the bottom of the screen when a CD is playing.

Hey, that's fun--CD covers. I"ll have to look for that. Today, while driving I couldn't find the "Weather Radio" option on the screen...so I hit the voice button and said "Weather Radio" and it went right to it! Sometimes it'll recognize my request to find my iPod...and other times it plays dumb if I'm not in the right screen. Still learning, learning....
    There is a "voice training" program built right into the system.
    You can train the voice recognition system to recognize your voice. One tutorial is for commands and there is another for numbers. Once you have completEd both tutorials, your voice commands will be more easily recognized by your computer. Try it - you'll see what I mean.

If you want the weather function from satellite radio, push the contoller forward (up) and turn the controller all the way clockwise. That will take you to the "globe" icon on the right-top of your main menu. Push the controller down (select it) and then push it down again when Sirius weather comes up on the screen. You can now select 5-day weather outlook or current weather or today's weather or you can select "map" which will show you radar reports for rain, etc., and current weather conditions for your city, state or even the entire country. This feature is stupendous! I took out a 2-year subscription for weather and traffic because I liked it so much.

I know you will enjoy this feature. It is different than weather channels on your radio - this is entirely visual!

edited January 2012
    That's an interesting feature and it's helpful reading everyone's tips. I tried picking up the manual and going through it, but it's pretty thick so I just skimmed it. I just learned a couple of other things. I tried to turn off the radio completely and pressed the control stick, but it shuts off the entire Command system. I found out that the radio is always on, and to silence it, you have to press mute. This is different than turning the radio off, and not intuitive. Also, I was looking to stop the voice command when the Nav system was on and getting me to a destination. I thought that there would be a control function within the Nav system to stop announcing the driving instructions all the time. I don't think there is, and to stop the announcement, you have to press the Mute button while the announcement is being made. If you just press mute when the announcement is not being made (i.e., when the Nav system is operating but nothing is being announced at the time), then it doesn't silence the directions.
    Hi Dave. Sounds like you are trying to get acquainted with your COMMAND system. COMMAND expertise takes many, many months to master. Just the commands alone are impossible to remember there are so many of them. I just made a list of the most frequently used commands and, after 3 years of owning E350's (2010, 2011 and 2012) I am just beginning to learn how extensive this system is.

You can turn off Navigation Directions (that lovely lady who directs you to turn, etc.) by hitting the mute button. When you want to hear her again, just press the mute button again. I believe if you look inside one of the indexes or options when navigation is selected, at the bottom or very top of the screen, there is an option to include voice instructions and another to exclude voice instructions. I'm not in the car right now, but I've "turned her off" in one of my other cars that had the same COMMAND system as this one.

You will just have to do what most of us do with this very sophisticated system, trial and error. I used to sit in the car and literally play with the system until I got the hang of it.

I was lucky that I had a technologically "endowed" dealership individual who was trained by Mercedes to go over this system with me. Whenever I have a question or need help, I just call him and he goes through it for me over the phone while I'm in the car or I drive to the dealership and he sits with me.

Remember, if someone had to sit with you to go over every possible command and how the system operates from top to bottom, you'd still be at the dealership learning the COMMAND system - and remember, you got your car 3 weeks ago!

When you said you picked up the manual to go through it and it was pretty thick, so you just skimmed it was histerical!!! First of all, there is the owners manual, then there is the COMMAND manual (almost as thick as the owner's manual) and then there is another manual for audio (quick reference guide). Most people do not use more than 10% of the capabilities of the COMMAND system. From turning on and off the audio system, switching from SAT to FM to DISC and orally telling it which disc, which track, which radio frequency, which station on SAT, etc., has over 100 commands. Then, you have Navigation and telephone. I added voice tags to each of the contacts I use frequently in my address book so the COMMAND system will recognize the individual or company I want to call more quickly when I call out the name, like "call Dad, Justin, Michele, Walmart, Dr. Friedman" etc.

All I am trying to do is explain to you that it will take lots of time and lots of patience to get a good feel for the COMMAND system. And remember, that's just the AUDIO, TELEPHONE AND NAVIGATION. Think of all the other things you want to know about the SPEEDOMETER screen readouts and how to use those.

ENJOY!

edited January 2012
    I received my renewal from my insurance company (one of the biggest, if not THE BIGGEST in the country) and even though I had no tickets or accidents for over 10 years, my rates when up by more than 20%. So after calling 6 other companies, I took a chance and called Mercedes Benz to see what they could do. They transferred me to the company they have a relationship with (I'm not mentioning the names of these companies because I don't know if I can) and within 5 minutes, I had a policy for the same coverages and I saved $650 a year when compared to the best rates from all the other companies. That was significant.

I drive about 9000 miles per year and have 250-500 thousand liability with 100K property damage, 250-500K uninsured/underinsured motorist, 1000 deductible collision and "0" deductible comprehensive. They also included one year newer vehicle replacement for a total loss, and I have PIP for 10K which is required here in Florida.

If you own or lease a new Mercedes, you might want to check out the insurance company - they have an arrangement with Mercedes Benz for new car owners. You can contact Mercedes at the same number you use for roadside assistance. If they don't list "auto insurance separately" just connect to their customer service extension.

The company is a well-known insurance company. They cinsider education, tickets and accident as well credit rating. If I can save that much, perhaps you can, too! They write 12 month policies only, so you don't have 6 month policies where they raise rates at the end of every 6 months.

You're definitely right. I'm just continuing to learn by doing. My cell phone (and my 5 year old wireless phone at home) have features I've never used or even knew existed. I'm happy as long as I am able to answer the cell phone, dial a number, plug in a destination, turn on the radio and change channels and fill up the gas tank.
    90% of my postings on this site are done on my IPhone, believe it or not. Since getting my iPhone; I hardly use my computer.

What's nice about this phone is that it downloads my address book with all numbers and info automatically and I don't have to manually enter info like I did with my old Motorola Razor. Also, this phone hooks up with the iPad adapter that is in the console (which use to be in the glove box on the 2011 and 2010 E350's) and works like an iPod.

The Bluetooth function is much clearer and crisper on this new phone as well. It can also stream music with the same bluetooth function.

What do you think about the ability of newly imported E350's as of the middle of February to burn up to 15% ethanol and our cars only up to 10% ethanol? I don't think it will effect resale prices on our cars for a couple of years.

Yes, the Iphone is pretty handy. I sync it up to my computer to sycn and download phone numbers, appointments. Not sure about the ethanol difference. The 10% get better mileage, so that's a plus.
    Let me know if I'm wrong, but I believe the higher the ethanol percentage, the higher the octane, but poorer fuel economy. Or, is it the other way around? But I do know that if and/or when the ethanol subsidies are removed, which congress has been talking about, the cost of producing ethanol will go up and the more it will cost for a gallon of gasoline with ethanol in it as an additive. So, things will even out eventually. I would not be surprised if the EPA requirement is dropped by 2016, or sooner.

YES - I got a chuckle also!

• Hello there,
    In reference to ethanol... are you saying an e350 purchased in December can use ethanol? It has to be 10% ethanol not 15%? Thanks for your response.
    I think you misunderstood me! Flex-fuel 3.5 liter engines that can burn 15% ethanol will be released on Feb 15. Prior to that, they can burn 10% ethanol.

Found out one more thing about this - the E coupes and other Mercedes vehicles using the flex fuel 3.5 liter engines will be the only ones affected. From what my friend said at Mercedes, the E350 sedans won't be affected - just the coupes.

I don't know what to believe now -'too much conflicting info.

• Oooops. My bad. Looking to cut costs if possible.
  • I just found the first tiny thing the E350 needs to improve. The memory settings button function. You actually have to hold the button until you've reached your desired positions(seating, mirrors, etc.) Seems like one touch selection should be the standard in a MB. Just nit-picking. I love the car.