Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Mercedes Benz E-Class Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 3,149
    Personally, after speaking with my best friend, who interestingly enough is the general sales manager of the dealership where I buy all my Mercedes Benz vehicles, he cannot understand how you could buy a new E350 sedan with P1 for 7,000 dollars + under MSRP without incentives. If what you state is correct, and you did not qualify for any incentives, the dealer sold you the car at a loss to him of over $3000.00.

Let's assume the car MSRP'd at 57125. Subtract 875 shipping and then multiply by .93 (his invoice factor), then add back the shipping cost of 875.00. Thus, his invoice is 53187.50. In addition to this, there is about 2% holdback or $1000, give or take a few bucks. Thus, his actual, dead cost for the vehicle is about 52,000.00. But you paid over 7,000 below MSRP. My best friend told me that he has never, ever heard of anyone getting that much off MSRP, with no incentives from USAA or Mercedes Benz, or Mercedes Benz Financial. He also added that not even he could purchase a vehicle for that price, and he is the GM.

His guess is that you qualified for at least $3500 in incentives in order to buy the car for what your purchased it for.

I sure would like to know how you were able to get a car for what you paid for it with no incentives. He also would like to know that. He said he would love to purchase cars for his inventory from your dealer, if you could let us know who the dealer was. He said he would call him up and buy as many as he would let him have.

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

• bzjambzjam Posts: 11
    Maybe it has something to do with the end of the year and taxes, maybe its the holiday season and he was in the giving mood, but I don't think it would be a $3000 loss especially when other dealerships are willing to do $6000 off with no incentives also. Merry Christmas to all (me especially I guess!) and good luck with your deals.
  • hhoythhoyt Posts: 2
    I ordered my E350 in November for January 2012 delivery. There has been confusion from day one about the Purchase Order vs. the Confirmation of Order from MB.

I ordered thru the dealer option 401 Heated and Ventilated Seats. That required my upgrade to leather so I chose to do so. When I got the Confirmation a few days later it did not show option 401 for $450 but rather option 432 Active Multicontour Drivers Seat with massage. I didn't raise an objection because the $660 option was more then I ordered and I presumed, incorrectly, that the option included ventilated seats, the option I really wanted.

Skip forward a month and when I went into the dealership to pay for the vehicle the saleslady noted the difference and told me I was not getting ventilated seats. We have no clue as to why MB European Delivery did not follow the salespersons purchase order. I already have my reservations in January to pick up the vehicle.

The only solution from MB was to get a loaner during my trip and have a new configured vehicle made which probably would delay delivery another month or two. I opted not to delay.

Further confusion is directly from their web site. It says P2 includes multi contour seats. Is the vibrator truly a $600 option above that or am I being charged twice, one in P2 and again as separate option?

Any suggestions? Can't they just simply make the adjustment to my car since they have one month's notice to correct their mistake?
  • Would $2,000 below dealer invoice (Conquest incentive included) be a good deal on 2012 E 350 Luxury, with P 1 package? Can I do better? Also, can/should I get 3 year prepaid Maintenance package thrown in? Finally, I would like to get the 5 spoke wheels on the 17" Luxury package, but the brochre doesn't say they're available. Can the dealer switch them out? Thanks for any assistance.
    Multi-contour seats is a separate option on the E350, but on the E550, it is a standard feature. Their website is incorrect, and I have checked this out because I too ordered multi-contour seats and heated/ventilated seats with leather with my P2 package. I was told, and my dealer verified, that the multi-contour seats come standard on the E550, but are a separate option on the E350. That should answer your question on that subject.

I feel that the multi-contour seats are not worth the extra $600. The massage function is uncomfortable and distracting when driving the vehicle. The "wrap-around" feature is the best feature of all, snuggly holding you into your seat, especially on turns.

As for the confusion on the order, unfortunately you read the confirmation and noted that the option you ordered was not being added to your new vehicle, and did not report this to the dealer, nor did the dealer attempt to correct it, assuming he knew nothing about the incorrect order since you did not notify him. Thus, there is a shared responsibility/liability here, the dealer for not checking to make sure the vehicle was ordered correctly, and you for not bringing to their attention the "missing" 401 package.

Quite frankly, I would not accept the car they built for you nor would I wait for another one, especially in winter in Europe. If you want ventilated/heated seats, which includes a fan under each front seat to blow the cabin air through the bottom and back of the seats and/or with the heated seats button pressed to one fo the three settings, warm/hot air through the bottom/back of the seats, then you should get them. I live in Florida, and needless to say, it's the ventilated cool air that is essential here during late spring, summer, and early fall.

I would sit down with the owner/general manager of the dealership and go over this mess! Insist that he have a new car ordered for you with the exact options and colors you want and have it delivered to his dealership ASAP at the same pricing as if you took European delievery (7% below MSRP, which is approximately dealer invoice. If youi want the multi-contour seats, insist that this be added as part of making you a satisfied customer.

Another possible solution is to have the general manager of the dealership involved in "locating" the car you want and having it shipped to his dealership with the above stipulations. If the dealer is uncooperative, TAKE YOUR BUSINESS SOMEPLACE ELSE!

Even though you share some of the responsibility for the problem (by not notifying the dealership of the option not put on your car, but ordered and not showing up on the confirmation), you are the cusomter, and in this case, the customer is always right. You should not have to wait 2 months for a car. All I waiting was 6 weeks from the time I ordered the car and the time I took delivery here in Florida.

Good luck with whatever you decide and enjoy this car - it is definitely worth waiting for with the improvements in the transmission and engine that they have made.

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

Yes, a $2000 below invoice is a good deal since he is selling you the vehicle for about his invoice and will receive $2000 from Mercedes Benz to cover the below cost price. Remember, the 2012 4 door sedans are in tight supply for some reason, throughout the country. Anytime you can buy a limited inventory car for that price is excellent.

Pre-paid maintenance is a great feature if they would throw it in for you. The average A maintenance is $330.00. So, you get $1000.00 worth of maintenance for about $700 +/-. At the price he is selling you the car for, I would doubt he has much room left to accomodate the "throw in maintenance", however, with this being the end of the year, he might be willing to eat into his 2% holdback a bit. Who knows - but if you don't ask, you'll never know.

If you are getting the luxury model, there are not alot of them available since 90% of the E350 production this year is in the sport model. Swapping wheels is difficult because of the tire pressure sensors in each wheel - which sends data to the car's computer system. When you change wheels, everything has to be re-programmed - and is costly in terms of shop hourly costs. It takes a tremendous amount of time to change wheels and tires because of the reprogramming.

• Abacomike--many thanks. Very useful information.
    You are quite welcome!

• hhoythhoyt Posts: 2
    Many thanks. I have now revisited the issues and wished I had read your reply much closer before accepting the deal. Here is what happened that slipped my mind.

I settled with the saleslady on the vehicle E350 I wanted. When I got home and had 24 hours to think about it I called back and said lets add heated and ventilated seats. She said that would require the leather option which was $1600. She called the ED office at MB in New Jersey and they agreed to ship the car I originally ordered the day before to the dealership and replace my order with a vehicle with leather and ventilated seats. The sales lady then had the exact vehicle put on the Purchase Order but somehow, someway the New Jersey office skipped the ventilated in favor of massage.

I just decided to let it go but after re-reading your response I wished I had asked the sales person yesterday to try the "ship ED to USA". I think at this point I will let it go. I will just make up my mind to be happy with what is delivered to me in Europe.

Another thing that really surprised me on this forum (wished I'd found it
    before I ordered) was the 90% of E350's are sport. Mine is luxury. I'm stunned at that ratio.

If I may add a final question, I was trying to find out the shipping dates from Europe to Brunswick, GA. I am scheduled to pick up my vehicle on Jan 11 and redeliver at on Jan 12. It will be winter in Europe and I wasn't sure I wanted to chance driving on snow or ice. Do you have any idea if European Delivery is faster from the factory? I understand the shipping point is Bremerhaven. I leave from Frankfurt on the 13th. Not sure about getting to Frankfurt airport from Bremerhaven. In other words I was hoping to drop off the vehicle at the place where shipping to Brunswick would be fastest. Harms said to contact their offices but they have not responded (Bremerhaven) in a week to my emails.
    I took European delivery on my 2007, BUT NEVER AGAIN! It was February, and all I dealt with was snow and ice, and the trip was a bummer. I should have taken European delivery in October, but not after that. The accommodations were excellent, but the driving was treacherous. Then, I had to drive the car to the port of exit to the U.S. Took all the pleasure out of the European trip.

There is a major difference between the sport and luxury models. The luxury models ride less firm, do not have different sized tired front and rear, have 18" tires and wheels for better traction and handling, but the tires wear out much more quickly - I usually get about 16,000 miles on a set. But, the styling (lower body and front grillework are different) is much more appealing on the sport, at least to me. The car rides a little stiffer, but handling is much improved over the luxury. I would expect resale on the sport to be better than on the luxury due to interior styling/exterior styling and the fact that most E350's are sport models.

You will not realize any major increase in resale due to P2 overe P1, ventilated seats or multi-contour seats. The best resale is on a P1 with the sport wheel package and would be worth about the same as mine. (i.e., 62325 for mine, 57,000 for the other, but both would be worth about the same at resale time 3 years later).

As you should be aware, your dealer can locate an identical car you want from more than 800 dealers nationwide and have that car shipped to his dealership, and the cost would be minimal since MB is contributing to the cost due to their error. I would take the car here and then take a nice trip through the U.S. and Canada this summer. Besides, Europe can be seen any time and driving a rental is safer than driving my new vehicle, especially through Europe.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

• Does anyone know whether the Conquest Incentive will be extended into January? Any new incentives (not previously discussed ) that might come into being at that time? Thanks.
    edited December 2011
    I would think the 2000 conquest on the 2012's will be extended through the 6th or 7th, and perhaps until the end of January. The Mercedes Benz financial 2000 incentive may drop to 1500, where it was in October. AS for the 1.9% financing, I would think there would be some kind of similar rates.

BUT ONLY MERCEDES BENZ CORPORATE knows for sure what will be available. I am only guessing based on previous years experiences this time of the year.

The only way to be sure is to take advantage of this discount NOW! I would not take the chance that there will be the same incentives 30 days from now. Remember, there is a shortage of E350 sedans throughout the country. Down here in southern Florida, there are 12 Mercedes Benz Dealerships from Palm Beach County to Miami-Dade County, and there are a total of 45 E350's in stock in all those dealerships. What does that tell you? And what do you think that says for January?

I ordered my car in late August, 2011. Arrived at dealer on October 17th. I took advantage of the USAA pricing of invoice +500 less 2000 (net of 1500 under dealer invoice) and a 1500 incentive from Mercedes Benz Financial. Also negotiated 1.6% financing on an 18,000 loan for 66 months (always pays to have a small loan on a Mercedes since MB Financial always has a special incentive for current loan holders or lessees). If I had waiting until November to get the car, I could have saved another $500 since the MB Financial incentive went up 500. I could not "bundle" any other discounts or incentives with USAA except for the MB Financial incentive. But, I got the car I wanted, $3000 below dealer invoice, and have truly enjoyed this new E350 sedan for 2 months now. I am not disappointed at all that I could have saved $500 more.

Never pays to wait if you can get a great price now.

• kevinc5kevinc5 Posts: 204
    Aren't 17" tires standard on the luxury model?
  • 17" inch tires are standard on the Luxury model. My previous question is whether you could get the 17" tires with the 5 spoke design rather than the standard 17" wheels with 8 spokes..... Abacomike--would that still require extensive changes by dealer as you earlier advised? Thanks.
    edited December 2011
    I have the 5 double-spoke design AMG wheels which is part of the Wheel Package on the Sport Model with 18" tires (different size for front than the rear).

I do not believe the 5 spoke or 5 double spoke 18" wheels are available on the luxury model. Remember, the 5 spoke (standard on the sport model) and the 5 double-spoke AMG's (optional as part of the wheel package) have different sized front vs. rear wheels.

If you were to have the dealer select a set of wheels for you new car and put them on the car, those new wheels might not have the necessary sensors and may not be in synch with car's computer, and even if the dealer could add sensors and match the sensors to the car's computer, it would be very costly as I mentioned to you for the dealer, which costs would be passed on to you. The only sensible way to get nicer wheels (I agree, the standard 17" wheels on the luxury model are hideous looking) is to order upgraded wheels with your new car as an "option". They have various optional wheels available from the factory. I have an ordering manual for the 2012 E350 Sedan, and noticed several wheel sizes available as an option when you order the car.

I believe you can also get 18" wheels/tires for the luxury as an option (with same size tires/wheels for front and rear).

Avoid trying to find wheels/tires as after-market for your car for the above reasons. Good luck!

• The stock 17" Sport wheels are staggered? Hmmm.. I didn't notice that...

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

The "stock" 17" wheels are not staggered! Only the stock wheels and optional wheels on the sport are staggered. The standard wheels on the luxury and luxury 4-matic are the same size all around.

What I was trying to convey to you is that you can order "optional" wheels for the "luxury" model in both 17 and 18 inch versions.

• Hi Mike,
    Checkin' in with the news that I got a call and my E350 4Matic Luxury with P2 has been built and is on its way! The dealer is still telling me they think it'll be in before the end of the year, which surprises the heck out of me. But, they want me to come in next week and get paperwork done so they can lock in the incentives. (They must be very motivated to get this deal done in 2011 :-) I'm pretty motivated, too, not knowing what January might bring. I'll have USAA and MB Financial, but from what I'm reading I don't think I can stack the MBCA $1000 incentive...it says you can't stack "certificates." Do you think I'm right about that?
    There are a few good things about that - you would be able to deduct the sales tax for 2011 federal income taxes and I am sure that if they want you to complete paperwork, they must be pretty sure the car will be in prior to 1/1/12.

It takes about two weeks to get the car from Germany to the US. But then the car must be made ready for transport from the port to the dealership. They can deliver the car on the same day they receive it, which is what happened with me. It's going to be tight but still possible.

Keep us updated on the progress!

Yes! The only incentive you can bundle with USAA is the MB Financial Incentive. Of course you can also get the special 1.9% special finance rate for up to 66 months. I was able to negotiate 1.6% for 66 months. I always take out a small loan for 66 months with MB Financial because they always provide loyalty incentives of up to 2000 dollars if and when you buy a new Mercedes. Since I always buy Mercedes vehicles, it always pays. I usually borrow 18,000 so my monthly payment is always around 286.00. I never pay the loan off because you must have an active open loan account in order to qualify.

I hope this answered your question.