Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Mercedes Benz E-Class Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• lawcarlawcar Posts: 81
    You're definitely right. I'm just continuing to learn by doing. My cell phone (and my 5 year old wireless phone at home) have features I've never used or even knew existed. I'm happy as long as I am able to answer the cell phone, dial a number, plug in a destination, turn on the radio and change channels and fill up the gas tank.
  • abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 3,112
    90% of my postings on this site are done on my IPhone, believe it or not. Since getting my iPhone; I hardly use my computer.

What's nice about this phone is that it downloads my address book with all numbers and info automatically and I don't have to manually enter info like I did with my old Motorola Razor. Also, this phone hooks up with the iPad adapter that is in the console (which use to be in the glove box on the 2011 and 2010 E350's) and works like an iPod.

The Bluetooth function is much clearer and crisper on this new phone as well. It can also stream music with the same bluetooth function.

What do you think about the ability of newly imported E350's as of the middle of February to burn up to 15% ethanol and our cars only up to 10% ethanol? I don't think it will effect resale prices on our cars for a couple of years.

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

• lawcarlawcar Posts: 81
    Yes, the Iphone is pretty handy. I sync it up to my computer to sycn and download phone numbers, appointments. Not sure about the ethanol difference. The 10% get better mileage, so that's a plus.
    Let me know if I'm wrong, but I believe the higher the ethanol percentage, the higher the octane, but poorer fuel economy. Or, is it the other way around? But I do know that if and/or when the ethanol subsidies are removed, which congress has been talking about, the cost of producing ethanol will go up and the more it will cost for a gallon of gasoline with ethanol in it as an additive. So, things will even out eventually. I would not be surprised if the EPA requirement is dropped by 2016, or sooner.

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

YES - I got a chuckle also!

• Hello there,
    In reference to ethanol... are you saying an e350 purchased in December can use ethanol? It has to be 10% ethanol not 15%? Thanks for your response.
    I think you misunderstood me! Flex-fuel 3.5 liter engines that can burn 15% ethanol will be released on Feb 15. Prior to that, they can burn 10% ethanol.

Found out one more thing about this - the E coupes and other Mercedes vehicles using the flex fuel 3.5 liter engines will be the only ones affected. From what my friend said at Mercedes, the E350 sedans won't be affected - just the coupes.

I don't know what to believe now -'too much conflicting info.

• Oooops. My bad. Looking to cut costs if possible.
  • I just found the first tiny thing the E350 needs to improve. The memory settings button function. You actually have to hold the button until you've reached your desired positions(seating, mirrors, etc.) Seems like one touch selection should be the standard in a MB. Just nit-picking. I love the car.
  • Maybe that's only with the ignition on? My car (not a Mercedes) is the same way with the ignition on... That's in case you bump the button by accident.. But, with the ignition off, you can just push the button once, and it adjusts all functions without holding it in....

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• I'll try hitting the memory button with the start/stop button in the off position and see what happens. Thanks.
    The reason Mercedes does npt include leather as a standard feature is because they sell thousands and thousands of E class sedans in Europe and Asia as TAXI-CABS. Taxi companies and cabbies themselves want vinyl (MB tex) because it wears better than leather. This is according to my source at Mercedes. Interesting!

• kevinc5kevinc5 Posts: 204
    I don't think the specification of US cars is limited by the desires of the Asian cab driver. The reason Mercedes does not include leather as a standard feature in the US is "decontenting" and the desire to meet a price point. Leather was standard on my 2000 E320. They started charging extra for it two or three years later.

Do most of those cabs in Europe and Asia diesel or four cylinder gas engines along with thier MB Tex? If they can put the new engine in US cars they could put leather in US cars.
    I had a 1987 300E, a 1991 300E and a 1993 300E, all of which had MBTex standard with leather optional at additional cost. My 1987 420 SEL had standard leather. The S Class cars came standard with leather while my E Class vehicles always came standard with MBTex. It is quite possible your E came standard with leather, but none of mine ever did.

As for the American market, one would think they would come with leather over European models without much difficulty. If US cars all came standard with leather, the per vehicle cost factor for that feature, one would logically think, would be a lot less than $1670.

The rationale of "...keeping the per vehicle cost more competitive in price" just doesn't sound logical or realistic. The pricing on E Class sedan has gone up about $1000 each year since 2010. If leather was made standard, the per vehicle cost would be about $1000 or less. Don't you think most E Class buyers would be willing to pay $1000 more for their cars? Do you think $1000 more in price would dissuade prospective buyers from purchasing an E Class sedan? Doubtful! So there obviously is another reason!

• A movie by Albert Brooks, circa 1985

He is on the phone with his Mercedes salesman, finalizing the option list, and starts asking him about MB-Tex.. "What is that? It's not leather? $40,000, and I don't get leather? It's better than leather? What's wrong with leather?"

It's hilarious.... and, 27 years old... to give you an idea of how long Mercedes has been putting vinyl in their high-end cars...

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

edited January 2012
    Stupendous post! I just posted in the luxury forum that they should make sunroofs optional and leather standard. How about that? Although the MB Tex happens to look, feel and wear as well, is not better than their leather - which I had to get because I wanted ventilated seats. What can I say?

• A reporter is working on a story about car technology and is looking for recent or current car shoppers for whom technology was a critical factor. Were you looking to pack your car with as much new technology as possible? Are there special technologies and systems that you care about more than others? And are you at all concerned about the role technology plays with distracted driving? Please send an email with contact information and a brief description of your experience by no later than Sunday, February 5, 2012.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• bevbranbevbran Posts: 40
    I've had both leather and MB Tex in my E's and I have to say I was surprised at how the leather wore in just two years. The MB Tex stays new looking BUT!!!! How I miss that wonderful leather smell....
  • My wife insisted on MB Tex in our recent Benz purchase. I wanted leather but it was her car so went with MB Tex. I'm pleasantly surprised at how not bad it is. It is not a leather smell but not a Japanese car chemical smell either. Again not bad. And most importantly after owning the car a couple months the MB Tex has softened up and is almost identical to leather in feeling. My wife wanted to be able to '409' it and there you have it.