Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Mercedes Benz E-Class Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 3,135
    edited January 2012
    This new 2012 E350 is the first one i've had out of at least 10 I've owned over the past 30 years that has leather because I HAD TO ORDER THE CAR WITH LEATHER because I ordered ventilated seats. I actually PREFER the MBtex over leather for all the reasons you all mentioned AND the leather "aroma" is no longer noticeable after the 3 months since I took delivery. Also, remember, leather is on seating surfaces only! It is not on the door panels, armrests or anywhere else. That 1690 bucks sure doesn't get you much in the way of leather, that's for sure!

MBtex happens to wear better and cleans up much better. But...let's face it - when you spend $57,000+++ for a car, leather should be a standard feature. That is all we are trying to communicate.

Amen to MBtex!!!

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

• lawcarlawcar Posts: 81
    edited January 2012
    All things being equal, I would just prefer all leather for my car at this price point. I could see the C-series and the BMW 3-series with vinyl standard and leather as an option (I'm not disparaging either car, just referring to the fact that they are more entry level cars and a couple of thousand dollars for leather may be a consideration for a prospective buyer), but agree with Mike and Albert Brooks that it should be standard. I'll let you know in a few years how my experience with MbTex compares with Mike's.
    edited January 2012
    David, honestly, I cannot tell the difference between leather and MBtex. I've had both now that this one has it. Quite frankly, I prefer the MBtex because it cleans up better, wears better, and feels and looks just like optional leather. Sure, it has a little leather aroma, but having the leather seating surfaces covered in leather and nothing else, it is not worth the $1600+ additional. Not even the seat backs have leather nor do the side armrests, center console armrests, nor anything else.

But certainly, leather should be standard in a luxury sedan that MSRP's for $64,000 like mine did!

I know you will enjoy the MBtex. I sure did!

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

Agreed on all counts.
    From what my source tells me, Mercedes is considering removing the "star" hood ornament from the E Class Sport Models and changing the grille to resemble the C Class and CLS Class grilles. That would be a major departure from many, many years of having the star hood ornaments on the E Class vehicles. But from what they have done on the rest of the line with the ornents, it would seem logical.

There have always been complaints from owners of Mercedes Benz vehicles who have had their hood ornaments ripped off by so-called "collectors" of star ornaments, perhaps this is just a sign of the times. I must admit that when I lived in San Diego, my 1993 E class hood ornament was confiscated by at least 3 different "collectors"! They were a pain to replace at that time because when they got ripped off, damage was always done because they were not held in place by heavy wire like they are now.

Does that mean our E350's will be collector's items now?
    That would be highly doubtful!

Yes, that is correct! You must hold the setting button (1, 2, or 3) in until the seat, mirrors and/or steering wheel have stopped adjusting. This has been the case for as many year as I have owned E Class vehicles. Other cars I have owned have not required holding the memory button to access the desired setting. I guess this is just a quirk in the design and/or engineering.

But, as you mentioned, this is minor thing. I agree with the host in that it is probably a safety design to ensure that if you are driving, the memory setting does not inadvertently start moving if accidentally touched.

• kevinc5kevinc5 Posts: 204
    No, but enterprising "collectors" will start stealing grilles.
    GHSTUDIO! Responding to your post of January 11th regarding Mercedes Benz Mbrace stolen vehicle recovery assistance - I just got off the phone with Mbrace technical assistance. As of 2010, when Hughes took over this system and went digital as opposed to analog prior to 2010, if your Mercedes Benz is stolen and you have an existing paid account with Mbrace, they can locate your vehicle anywhere in the continental United States and parts of southern Canada, even if your are nowhere near a cell tower! They locate the car by Satellite Signals.

Here is how it works:

Your car is stolen and you contact the local police jurisdiction where the car was last seen. They issue a case number almost immediately. You then call Mbrace - and then put the police department on the phone. They verify the case number and Mbrace sends a signal to the car via satellite. The car then sends a signal back, via satellite to Mbrace. Mbrace then uses GPS satellite technology to locate the exact location of the car and assist the police or other governmental jurisdiction (State Highway Patrol, State Trooper, City or Village Police Department, etc., or whoever has jurisdiction over the area where the car is located) in the recovery of the vehicle.

I asked them if it was necessary for the car to have access to a cell tower or signal, and they said NO! The also told me they can lock or unlock the doors and/or trunk to the vehicle via satellite - not via cell communications. However, if you are traveling in an area that has no cell tower access via cell phone or via car transmission, you cannot communicate with Mbrace since they use roaming cell phone transmission to speak with the driver of the car. In other words, if you have a flat or an emergency, if you press one of the 3 Mbrace buttons on the overhead panel in the car, you will not be able to connect with Mbrace for that emergency. If your cell phone won't work because of lack of signal, your Mbrace communications system will not be able to be activated. BUT THE STOLEN VEHICLE RECOVERY SYSTEM WILL BE FUNCTIONAL WITH OR WITHOUT CELL TOWER OR CELL SIGNAL AVAILABILITY.

When you posted that it won't work without a cell signal, I was accepting of that fact, however, it bothered me because I didn't think my insurance company would give me a discount for the recovery system (same discount as they give Lojack customers) unless it operated independently of cell tower signal availability.

So, those of you who were considering Mbrace for stolen vehicle recovery services can now proceed with that decision since it operates via Satellite, not by cell.

I agree that the cost factor is a little steep (about $260 per year on a two year contract, a little less on a three year contact), it does provide other services.

I just felt I wanted to correct the possible misunderstanding about Mbrace stolen vehicle location services. If you should have any questions, you should contact Mbrace and they will explain everything for you.

Rather than steal my grille, I would prefer if they just took the whole car! That way, my insurance company would replace the car with a 1 year newer vehicle. LOL!!!

• ghstudioghstudio Posts: 920
    abacom...thanks for clarifying this. I assumed that communications with mbrace was all thru cell towers.....I can guarantee you that I am not alone in assuming this.

Mercedes obviously has no clue how to market this feature....they should have diagrams showing how mbrace works.....rather than "trust us" which is about all they show in their marketing (and manuals) today.

If only the emergency function operated the same way, mbrace might actually be worth what mercedes seems to think it's worth.

Even with the satellite capability, wouldn't it be logical to be able to immobilize the car thru the satellite....If you can lock/unlock the doors, it should be easy to do something that actually would help if the car is stolen. I am certainly less than impressed that they can open the trunk when they can't imobilize the car. Maybe the next version of mbrace will be able to turn on the radio to a nice rock station because the guy that stole the car doesn't know how to work the radio....as he drives to the chop shop.
    I said "unlock", not open the trunk. It is up to Mercedes to produce a vehicle that can be immobilized, not Mbrace! Once immobilized, how is it remobilized? It can be very costly to engineer and design something like that. Not only that, immobilizing and remobilizing a vehicle has certain liabilities associated with those functions - but these issues have to be addressed by lawyers, not me.

All I was trying to do was correct some misinformation for those of us who want to use Mbrace for stolen vehicle services. We all have our opinions, and I respect yours.

• ghstudioghstudio Posts: 920
    immobilization could be as simple as a relay cutting off the fuel pumps. Yes, there are liability issues, but I think there are alarms on the market that will cut off the engine after a couple of blocks. You are right, mbrace (hughes?) wouldn't design the car electronics, but if they can unlock the doors, it seems like it would be pretty simple to introduce some sort of remote "engine immobilization". At least it would stop drive off theft.

I wonder how many cars are stolen and driven off vs towed? Anyone know????
    I don't know the answer to your question, however I have seen many, many cars "reposessed" by being simply towed from the rear! They lift up the rear of the car with long "tong-like" protusions, like those found on a fork lift, and merely pull the car right out of its parking space. If the car has a mercury switch, I would imagine the alarms would sound, but who listens to alarms on cars anymore?

As to which manner vehicles are stolen the most, I have no idea.

Hughes Telematics operates the Mbrace systems in all Mercedes vehicles equipped with digital technology capabilities. I don't know if they operate other systems such as Lexus Link, BMW Assist, On Star, etc. But I would not be surprised since the basic systems are similar, if not identical. They all seem to do the same things and operate the same way. I asked Hughes if they did, but was told that info was unavailable to me, as a consumer.

Wonder if anyone knows the answer to this?

• Am new to this forum, was hoping some of you might be able to give me some advice/thoughts. I have about 9 months remaining on my CLK-350 cabrio lease and am already over milage so would like to move into an E350 cabrio lease. The build of the vehicle that i want seems to have an MSRP of apprx $64k (with P1 package). I understand that getting out of my lease early will likely add on to any potential payment, but can anyone give me an idea of what a good lease price would be on this car with everything rolled into the payment and/or whether on this vehicle, it might make sense to look at purchasing it? Thanks!
    edited January 2012
    I am not a lease officionado, but I can tell you that Mercedes did have a "pull ahead" program last month, but I do not know if it is still available. Assuming your lease is wih Mercedes Benz Financial, there are or were two incentives available:

If you purchase or lease car, you can get a $2000 cash incentive toward the financing or leasing of your vehicle with MB Financial.

To find out what the current incentives are, go to the top of the home page of Edmunds and click on NEW cars. Then click on incentives and rebates. Then click on Mercedes. Then click on E350 and then convertible. I believe there is a special lease rate right now with about 5,000 total out of pocket (not counting 2000 loyalty) for 699 per month on a $62,000+ vehicle)

Check with your Mercedes Benz Dealer to see if they still have a pull ahead program as well.

Where do you live? If you tell this forum where you reside, there may be someone who has leased/purchased a new convertible who can be of assistance in getting a better price.

Good Luck

• Thanks very much for the info. I live in Long Island, NY, but would be willing to travel a little bit for the right deal. I know that MB had an 8 month pull ahead during december, but that they dropped it to 4 months for January.