Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier-Mercedes Benz E-Class Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ghstudioghstudio Posts: 920
    I am not sure how to view mbrace 2 because it's really not well defined...it's marketing speak. mbrace is standard on my 2011 e...but without a subscription, it does nothing (even in an emergency). The Mbrace 2 doesn't mention any subscription, so maybe there isn't one and I would applaud that. It also doesn't speak to how you get internet connectivity. Today you can get internet connectivity without mbrace....will you only be able to get it thru mbrace 2? If there is a subscription fee, how high will it be....for example the "hotspot" feature offered by Mercedes is roughly $500 but you can buy the exact same functionality from Verizon for under $100. We don't know. I guess that's why I call it phantom-ware just too many unknowns at this point.
  • abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 3,120
    I have downloaded the iPhone mobile app for Mbrace. It allows you yo lock/unlock the doors of the car directly through the iPhone without having to contact them. I was out at a huge mall last week and forgot where I parked the car. All I had to do was pull up the app on the iPhone and press "locate" and within 60 seconds, the location of the car came up on a map. All I had to do was start walking, and it took me to within 200 feet of the car. The closer I got, the closer on the map it showed. Interesting application.

It even let's me send an address right from my phone book on the iPhone right to the NAV system in my car. When I get in my car the next morning, the NAV comes right on with the ignition showing it received my signal and is ready to start route guidance.

I hope they will be able yo upgrade Mbrace in my 2012 to mbrace2 because I am not planning on buying a 2013 - I am enjoying this new engine performance and signicantly improved fuel economy so much, there is no rational reason to trade this car in. I only drive 9000 miles a year and I'm not going to give up a car that I ordered with everything on it I could ever want.

If I hear anything else about mbrace2, I will let you know.

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

It would appear that most of the incentives Mercedes had been offering on the purchase or lease have disappeared or have been reduced significantly. They still have the MB Financial incentive of $2000 if you currently have an active loan with MBF or lease, but special low interest financing for 48 - 60 months has been discontinued. Right now, there are no special rates, even for shorter term financing. Lease pull ahead programs have dropped to 4 months. That's about all they have right now. I'm quite surprised since they have been competing aggressively with BMW for top spot in the US market.

Wonder if they will offer anything better as the month progresses?

2014 Mercedes Benz CLS 550 - best car ever! 2nd best car ever, my 1967 Corvette Stingray Coupe with 435 hp.

• kevinc5kevinc5 Posts: 204
    I just tried benzonly.com. It's gone...just a dummy page from godaddy.com.
    Hmmm...just tried it and you are correct! I've used that site to get info on my 2012 before ordering it last August. I wonder what happened to the site. It was the only site that was months ahead of all the others on upgrades and model enhancements.

Does anyone out there know of any other sites (except for the usual ones like MBUSA.com, edmunds.com, etc.) where one can get updates on model changes or updates for Mercedes Benz E350's?

Sorry Kevin, I did no know the site had been taken down.

• Has anyone posted the lease terms/rates for February? I'm looking for the numbers on a 33 month lease for a E350 4matic. Thanks.
  • lawcarlawcar Posts: 81
    edited February 2012
    Just curious what everybody's getting on their cars. I do 90% city driving in Los Angeles and with 1,200 miles on the car, am getting around 15+ mpg.
    Dave, I'm getting 22 mpg around town (really not city driving as I live in the suburbs of Ft. Lauderdale where we have no heavy stop and go traffic) and 32-33 mpg on the highway at 65 mph. When I do drive downtown, I get about 17 mpg. Combined average mpg is running about 25 mpg, but with little or no driving in heavy traffic.

Your 15 mpg - is that heavy stop-and-go or not? If it is not, then your mpg's are a little low. If it is heavy traffic, then that is about what you should expect. Also remember, your mpg's will improve as the car breaks in.

Yes, Mike, my driving is in almost all stop and go traffic in the city; I only get on the freeway infrequently. I'll keep monitoring it, and look forward going on a longer trip (like to Napa Valley).
    Going up the I-5 corridor in your new Mercedes Benz at 70-75 mph should get you about 31 mpg's which is what I get when my speed exceeds 65 mph. At 55 mph, I can get 34 mpg's, 32-33 at 65 mph.

I have also learned to disregard the "instant" mpg reading because it is inaccurate as it was on my 2011, but the average mpg rèadout is identical to my own calculations.

• I noticed lower mileage than I expected. I pretty much drive like an old lady. I also hope after I break the car in it improves. I'm getting about 17 on average.
    17 mpg's, as an average, all depends on what you are averaging! If you do almost no freeway or interstate driving at 55 mph or greater, you can't expect good fuel economy averages. So, one would expect lower fuel economy If most of the driving you do is stop-and-go in heavy city traffic or even on freeways with traffic jams.

Today's new cars do not require extended break-in time to obtain good fuel economy, however, as the new car begins to loosen up, fuel economy does improve. When you first get your new car, it seems to drive and handle a little stiff. This is because every moving part of the car has not worn a kind of groove on these contact points. Once the contact points have worn in a bit, or "loosen up," friction reduces just a bit which then requires less force to maintain speed. It isn't much, but it does increase fuel economy. Moving parts include wheels, pistons, axles, drive shaft connections, transmission clutches, to name just a few.

My car has been driven 2600 miles since mid-October when I took delivery and my fuel economy has improved about 5%. When my 2011 hit 5000 miles, I noticed about 5% better fuel economy. According to EPA estimates, the new 2012 E350 should get 20/30 city/highway mpg's. I'm getting a little better than that.

Try putting your car in neutral at long traffic lights. I do that to reduce wear-and-tear on the transmission and I have found from experience that it improves my fuel economy. I have also found that I get better gas mileage when I use a certain brand of gasoline over another. I don't think I can mention that brand here, but it does make a difference!

Good luck all!

• I have a 2012 Luxury 4Matic, about 700 miles on it and I do a mix of in town and highway driving. Not much stop & go. I'm getting almost 24 mpg.
    That is about what I'm getting, combined highway/city. I get a little better mileage because you drive a 4matic, which is driving 4 wheels instead of 2 like my rear wheel drive E350. But combined, that is expected on the E350.

If Dave did more highway driving without traffic, he would also be getting what we are getting. But I am very familiar with the traffic he must be battling. I lived and worked in the Chatsworth area of the San Fernando Valley, which is in the north part of the Los Angeles metro area. Miserable traffic!

Fortunately, I'm not in that traffice that you experiences when here, Mike. I live only around 10 minutes from my office, and don't go on freeways very often. I'll check my mileage when I do a longer freeway trip.
    Dave, if you are driving so few miles, then the 15 mpg's you are getting is about what one would expect given the type of driving you do. I averaged 19 mpg over the last 2 days because all I did was drive here and there for grocery shopping - no highway driving.

I would recommend that you take your car on a quick trip to Palm Springs on the I-10. That's about 100 miles each way, if my memory serves me right. Not only would you give your car an opportunity to open up to higher sustained speeds, but would enable you to determine if you are getting 30+ mpg's. Of you are not getting that kind of fuel economy, then I would be concerned. Obviously you would want to wait until a Saturday or Sunday to avoid traffic snarls. Take your wife with you and have lunch at Las Concuelas in LaQuinta. It's on highway 110. Great authentic Mexican food. I know the owners.

I'm not concerned as I know that I'm just driving in city stop and go traffic. I'll see how it goes as car breaks in. Your suggestion about the trip to Palm Springs sounds good, and I know my wife would like it.
    When I lived in Chatsworth, I would go out to Rancho Mirage frequently during the winters for the weekend. By the way, Las Consuelas restaurant is on Highway 111 (Palm Canyon Drive) in Palm Springs, Rancho Mirage and LaQuinta. The family owns 3 or 4 restaurants in the Coachella Valley. It's a nice drive and the snow capped mountains this time of year makes for the perfect back-drop with temperatures on the desert floor averaging 68 - 72 during the day. And of course, 50+ golf courses within the confines of the western Coacella Valley!

I have heard nothing about the arrival dates for the 2013 E Class sedan at US dealerships. It is usual for the new models to arrive in July/August. It all depends on existing inventory levels at US dealerships. This past year, the 2012's didn't arrive until late October, but inventories did not stabilize until early December.

It seems to work like this:

If inventories are light, they usually arrive early. If inventories are heavy, they can delay deliveries from the ports by many weeks, which is what they did this year. You should be hearing more about this by June. There is one other variable - major changes in the body and/or equipment. If they change the grille work on the sport models, that could also delay deliveries. Since they just had a major upgrade in the engine and transmission this year, I would not expect major changes this next year.

Saw something about an E350 Hybrid. What do you think? I'm cautious about the first generation of a product as it normally takes time to get the bugs out.