Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Uplander Electrical Problems

Comments

• stobarstobar Posts: 110
    Thanks morewasabi. Did you have problems with the flickering lights? I really want to roll up the TSB and poke the Service Manager in the eye with it. Nothing I hate more than the standard "can't duplicate the problem". Makes me believe he thinks I'm a liar. I'm sure I'll be back soon to get it fixed, just wish he would have pulled up the TSBs and corrected it now.
  • No problems with the lights. Maybe because I have the towing package which comes with the heavy-duty alternator. May have a different voltage regulator too? Not sure. But no electrical issues.

Tell the service manager that you want to open up a case with GM. Tell him that you're surprised that they didn't even mention the TSB. Then when he ask what TSB, throw it at him! :P
  • I am having problems with the flickering lights. I have posted before, and were still fighting with our dealer. There is a TSB out there to change the voltage regulator, we had this done. At first I thought this was fixed, but only to discover it flickers faster. I took this back to the dealer and they said they couldn't duplicate. I am attempting to contact there manager, and make someone take a ride with me. I have the daylight in my favor since it gets darker earlier. The last excuse was we couldn't get anyone to stay late. I also contacted the Lemon law reps to see if there was anything I could do about this problem. Since the dealer doesn't really seem to want to help me. I'M STILL WAITING TO SEE IF GM WILL EXCEPT AND BUY THIS LEMON BACK. I don't feel safe in something that flickers and pops while i'm driving.
  • stobarstobar Posts: 110
    tmcgee06, if you haven't already seen it, check out genmtrfan post #2719. This covers the flicking light issue in greater detail. If the voltage regulator didn't fix it, may a new alternator will. A couple of people have had there alternators replaced and it seemed to fix the issue. This is one issue I have yet to have fixed, but will probably end up doing so in the next few months. The dealer has documented the problem. There was also some other recent posts on this within the last month, so I would check back through a few pages. Hope you are able to get your issue resolved!
  • Hello Stobar,

I have read all of the posting regarding the flickering lights with my 06 uplander. My dealership refuses to help us any further regarding this matter. North Star Chevrolet in Pa said there was no other fix. The last time I had this van in their shop they said they drove it 300 miles and couldn't duplicate the lighting problem. I asked them to test drive with me in the van, and they refused. North Star will not replace the alternator because there is no TSB for that fix. Yes there was on in 05 but in most cases this did not take care of the flickering issue, and was replaced with the current TSB, which didn't not fix my problem. Anytime I drive up hill at almost any speed I get this flickering problem, I can see my headlights flickering on cars in front of me, so I can't imagine that they couldn't duplicate... As far as i'm concerned I will never buy another Chevy. And would not recomend NORTH STAR CHEVROLET IN CARNEIGIE PA TO ANYONE. Once you sign the deal the service department doesn't give a crap about the customer.

Joe PA
  • At least they don't seem to care so long as it's not the customer's dollar at risk. ;)

Gotta add my one real gripe here for our Terraza so far. That being the brake rotors that warp so easily. Out of all the disc brake equipped vehicles I've owned, several of which were GM products, the only other one that has shown the same issues was the 97 Malibu. In that car the brakes warped roughly every 6-8k miles. The van is now on the same road. It might not be so bad if GM would allow the dealerships to replace the rotors when this happens under warranty (which btw, only runs to 12k miles on the brakes). But they insist that they be turned if the minimum thickness is there, regardless of the fact that the rotors warping at under 7k miles can't be normal. The fact that the same dealership has seen four of my previous GM disc brake equipped vehicles for all of our service and has NEVER worked an issue like this should've been enough to tell them that we don't drive any of our vehicles, much less the minivan, in a way that will (should) cause this issue. More importantly, the fact that many people report the same issues with these vans (more than most other vehicles) shows that there IS a problem with the design or the parts.

Anyway, at 16k miles we've had them turned for the third time. The first not under warranty. I managed to get GM Customer Assistance to reimburse us for the cost of turning the rotors again (but not to simply replace them). But this time was a "One time goodwill" action. So the next time it's my dollar. And even if there is (unlikely) enough thickness left in the rotors at 22-23k miles (when I expect to feel the shuddering next), I'll be hunting aftermarket pads and rotors. And the dealership WON'T be getting to perform the work. They basically refused to stand by me when discussing the matter with the Customer Assistance folks- instead claiming this is a common issue in our area. Which may be true, but not a common issue for US in this area.

Other than the brakes, all of our other issues have been dealt with satisfactorily and hopefully permanently. But the ongoing need to get rotors turned or replaced is one thing that may make me totally regret this vehicle. I seriously hope new non-OEM rotors and pads cure it next time.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,535
    Jerry, your points are very valid. If you haven't already, look at my post no. 2732 which references post no. 2683. Post 2683 is the TSB, in full, for brake rotor work under warranty. It is long (like 20 pages), but it says if rotors aren't thick enough, THEN replace them (this is seven pages in from the final page). And this is talking about warranty work. I've printed this out for my future use. I'd ask your Service Manager to show you where in your warranty it specifically mentions brake rotors as it does specifically, all other brake parts. Nowhere do I see rotors mentioned in the warranty like pads, linings, etc.

Good luck,
    Bill P.
    Kent, OH
    Jerry, re. brake rotors..go to link in post 2683 and look for TSB 05-05-22-002A, 8/22/06 issue date. You'll be most interested in pages 12 and 13. They even mention possibly covering brake pads for 24K miles.

Bill P.
    ...and futhermore, has your dealer been the only one to rotate tires, etc., on your van? I would bring that up if they were the only ones to ever touch your vehicle's lugnuts and if they were overtightened, which contributes to rotor wear, it's their fault.

Bill P.
  • Thanks for the link to the TSB. The first time the brakes started shuddering was after they'd rotated the tires for the first time. And I blamed them for the brakes suddenly getting troublesome. They turned them and the problem went away for a very short time, only to start coming back at the 11k point when they blamed "glazing", rather than warping. Same fix though either way- turn down the surface.

I've still got to read closer into that TSB though. They appear to be claiming that the rotors are only covered for 12k miles, regardless of anything else.
    Although I have the Chevy, not Buick, I would bet the warranty paperwork is the same. I don't have the vehicle here right now to look, but I have checked this before and I have never seen rotors discussed specifically as a normal wear item (i.e., not covered for 3/36) in the warranty booklet. They specifically mention pads, linings, etc., but not rotors. Correct me if you find otherwise..don't think you will. On page 12 or 13 of that TSB, it says that "brake rotor warranty is convered under the terms of the New Vehicle Bumper-to-Bumper warranty." If not mentioned in the warranty as an exception, it would be 3/36. Again, good luck!

Bill P.
    Oops, just noticed that the TSB mentioned above is for "1999-2007 Saturn vehicles" (although they, too, market and sell the same minivan). I had thought it odd that it looked like the same procedure was repeated from TSB 00-05-22-002H dated June 20, 2006, which covers "all 1999-2007 All GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks". Same pages and warranty details apply in that TSB though..exact same wording.

Bill
  • ClairesClaires Chicago areaPosts: 979
    Hi, ballfire,

I've moved your posts to our Pontiac Montana discussion here:
    Pontiac Montana: New Owners' Reports

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• I have a 2006 SV6 with the LZ9 3.9l motor with the towing package. It has the more powerful alternator and it too flickers. This vehicle was built 10-2005. It's quite noticeable at idle and low speeds.
  • We have a 2006 Uplander LT... never had the flicker problem. But our service stabilitrac warning comes on a lot. The service department at Champion Chevrolet in Howell, MI says no problem found. It is really weird when it occurs... usually when we are pulling out into traffic under high excelleration with the wheels turned... a couple times while starting a U turn from a dead stop.... it makes a bunch of weird noises and the warning comes on... the van barely moves... going to get hit by someone one of these days because you can't count on the van taking off into traffic to merge all the time...
  • We have a 2006 Uplander with a 3.9 motor and trailer package. about 5,000 miles. A different electrical problem. My wife told me yesterday that the vehicle stated to bounce. We were have some pretty good winds and I suspected that she got caught in a gust and noticed it bounce. I took the vehicle for a drive and I had to pull over twice, it bounced so bad. I noticed the back end of the vehicle sitting very high, it has the automatic rear level control and what appered to be happening is the sensor was not reading properly and pumped the shocks up to the max. You would not believe the bounce in it, I was travelling at low speeds and it was almost impossible to handle. I took it to the closest gm dealer, not where I bought it, it was sitting ok when I got it there and he said there was not a problem with it. My concern was that if it did this at a high speed, there is not way you could control the vehicle. The dealer would not even look at it since he said there was no problem with it. Have you heard of this before? I think in this situation it is a very unstable vehicle.
    Thanks.
  • Apparently my 2005 Uplander is among only a handful that is experiencing problems with the power sliding doors. I have a friend that has some of the same problems, though not as serious. The passenger door has twice closed on my children, causing substantial bruising and lacerations before I could pry the door back open. Additionally, numberous times the door has opened while the van was parked, locked, and not running. Most significantly, however, is that twice it opened completely while I was driving. Fortunately, once I was in a parking lot and the kids weren't with me, but once I was driving down the highway and my children were in the the middle seats. Scary!! So now I have a minivan that only seats 5 because I won't let anyone sit in the middle seats. The van has been at the dealership numerous times and the door still doesn't close properly. You can actually watch it pop back open after it closes and the dealership hasn't seemed too concerned about it. I pursued it with the Better Business Bureau and just found out their arbitrator found in my favor. Not sure how it will turn out, but hopefully I won't have to retain an attorney and file a lemon law suit. I have MANY other complaints about this car. Road noise, rough idling, transmission, door locks, and the brakes... 28,000 miles and THREE sets of rotors. Come on! Anyway, I think these problems are somewhat rare although I know at least one other person with door troubles. Good luck to you all!!
  • Sorry to hear about your doors. Mine work fine so far ('06 SV6 Montana). We have almost 9k on it now, it makes noise, you can feel something loose when steering, it's due for an oil change so I plan to look underneath for anything loose before making a trip to the dealer.

As for the brakes, these things can coast for miles, much more so then my '99 Montana and it took me awhile to adjust my driving habits so I wasn't constantly standing on the brakes to stop. Check yourself.
  • Hello. i have read all your messages and problems with your 2005 uplander. I also have had lots of the same problems with my van. I got a letter today about a recall on the 2005 vans and them replacing them. Has any of your gotten that same letter also. Its only for the 2005's :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :sick:
  • darylwisedarylwise Posts: 1
    Swath,

Could you email or fax me the letter you received? We have an 05 Uplander that has been in and out of the shop some 20 times in the 2 years we've had it. From sliding door issues, to flickering lights, to dvd problems, the list goes on.
    GM said they would buy it back but wanted $11k from me to get out. What a rip off!!!! Sell me a defective product and then ask me to pay you to take it back, I DON'T THINK SO! I see an attorney in our future unless someone has a better suggestion. :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • swathdiverswathdiver Posts: 27
    What letter?
  • njones60njones60 Posts: 10
    Just to update you on the problems with my uplander (the automatic sliding doors would open while I was driving) - I finally settled with GM under Missouri's lemon law. They refunded my purchase price (less a reasonable mileage deduction) and even refunded my taxes, etc. I was pleased with the outcome, but dissatisfied that I had to resort to the Better Business Bureau to get the buyback. GM sold a product that was a clear safety hazard, and I think they should have bent over backwards to make it right again. Lesson learned... I'll never buy another GM. I'll stick with a company that supports its products!!
    That's unfortunate. I'm glad it finally worked out in your favor though, having the doors open unexpectadly can be very dangerous!
    Mine has a couple of little issues, nothing bugging me enough yet to take it into the dealer, just passed 16k today.
  • suheysuhey Posts: 1
    i'm having various problems with my 2005 uplander interested in the recall letter you recieved any way I could get a copy :confuse: :mad: :cry: :lemon:
    What kind of issues are you having? I might be able to help.
  • travis61travis61 Posts: 1
    you state that you received a letter in regards to a recall on the 2005 Uplander. Can i get a copy of that letter. This van is causing me amjor problems.

Thank You!!
  • njones60njones60 Posts: 10
    Good Morning America just ran a report about a woman suing GM for the same problems (doors opening while driving). GM had the nerve to say they haven't received any other complaints. Apparently they forgot about settling with me?

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3401052&page=1
  • bassprobasspro Posts: 34
    Hi All, I posted the fix I had For my 05 Uplander rotors and as I read through the threads I noticed a loose steering issue that was brought up. I have a friend in Colorado that had a steering noise and had to have part of the steering column in the engine compartment changed. The part was made of fiberglass or plastic and was fixing to break. he could have lost control of the van. Thank goodness it did not happen. The peticular part was the unit that crushes in an accident and he said it was defective part that was made in Mexico. I assume that only the parts made there are a problem because I currently have over 96,000 miles and have had the following problems. A oil leak at the rear engine pan seal, bad rotors(Fixed with replaced heavy duty rotors at 33,000 miles)that are fixed since replacement,flickering lights, radio on/off button intermittent functioning,and pass. auto open door erratic and some times not working at all. Put lots of foam in different areas and filled the rear wheels with noise deadner and it is quieter. MC
  • mary35mary35 Posts: 1
    I'm researching problems with Uplander doors opening on their own. I'm looking for someone who has had this problem that lives in the Pittsburgh, PA area or surrounding counties.

If you've had this problem, please contact me at mvandevelde@wpxi.com
  • Is there anyway I could get a copy of that letter. The power door on my 2005 Uplander does not want to close. You push the button and it closes then it opens back up.