Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Uplander Electrical Problems

Comments

• swathdiverswathdiver Posts: 27
    I've heard of the resistor fix and another where the battery cable was shielded. My dealer played the "could not replicate" game until the last time I made an issue out of it. The previous visits were for other things that I considered priority and while annoying wasn't a safety issue. Anyhow, instead of following the TSB they soaked Pontiac for a new alternator and since they had to order it, gave us a loaded Caddy DTS to drive for 10 days.

My driver's side power sliding door issue was mostly fixed, it still acts up because its out of alignment, the body and door panels don't line up anymore. About 1 in 10 times the door will give us trouble opening or closing, it's catching on the rear pillar just as it opens or closes up top. When it gets worse we've decided to take it to another dealership who hopefully has better trained mechanics.

James
  • I finally got fed up enough to video tape my sliding door issue and took it in to the dealership, because in the past, they could never replicate the problem! I also called GM and they opened a file on my case, and to their credit, they have been totally on the ball with this problem. As you may remember, I posted a problem with the sliding doors not closing and the bells ringing constantly while driving. GM got in touch with the dealership while my van was in the repair shop there and they apparently gave them new codes to reprogram the sliding door (?) and for now, it's working. However, about every 5 times I shut it, it comes ajar just a tad. I can tell it's not sitting totally flush, but at least the bells aren't ringing. GM has been calling me about twice a week to keep checking on the situation, and the dealership called yesterday too just to check. FINALLY, someone at GM is paying attention. The dealership tried to charge me $90 when I picked up the van, but I said "No way. This is NOT my problem. This is a GM problem." They immediately voided the bill. I was very happy.
  • swathdiverswathdiver Posts: 27
    That's great Cindy! Keep that name of the GM employee, some people might need it someday.
  • My dealership is replacing the latch assembly, and cable assembly on my Uplander this time to try to fix the door problem. We will see............. :confuse: :confuse:
  • Our door is acting up again too. My wife was out and it shut but kept dinging the entire trip to the mall and back. When I looked at it, it would shut and lock properly but ding like it was open. When it opened it wouldn't open all the way, stopped about an inch short of its normal travel. Anytime you remotely activated door, it would first pull back and then try to shut then hang back and ding. Not sure how I did it, but I got it to stop and we're not using the door until I can get it back to the dealership.

James
  • Wow.......our "fixed" sliding door wasn't fixed at all. After the dealership supposedly fixed it, not even 2 weeks later it started all over again. The door won't close, and then when we do close it manually it dings the entire time I'm driving. (This is like a recurring nightmare)

So I took it back to the dealership, left the van running just to make sure they could witness the problem for real, brought the head service rep. out to see it, and showed him that the problem continues. He seemed just as frustrated as I am.

I've been calling GM all week now to try to get in touch with the same customer service agent (Martin Fischman) who spent so much time with me trying to get this resolved. I've left several messages and so far, no call back from him!

I am BEYOND frustrated at this point. GM needs to fix this problem permanently, or they need to replace our van. Period. I guarantee you that if one of their people had to drive around 24/7 with that dinging noise going off non stop, something would be done to fix it. This is simply unacceptable.
  • aubryjaubryj Posts: 2
    We had a 04 Suburban, 05 Equinox and now an 06 Uplander. My husbands Z71 also makes a noise. They all are a bumping kinda loose noise. The dealership replaced a couple of them. It was a part in the steering column. Although it is "typical chevy" problem, there is no recall. To fix it was around $200 after the warranty was up. They said it was not a safety hazard.
  • Both sliding doors on our 2006 Uplander LT have been giving us grief for months now. About 90 percent of the time when we would close one of the doors, they would either open back up again on their own or the back part of the door would fail to latch and would pop out. In the latter instance, we would have to get our and push on the back of the door to get it to latch, or else have to listen to the automatic door lock mechanism try in vain to lock the doors as we drove. I finally reached out to a guy I know who owns a local garage and hosts an auto repair show on a local radio station. I explained the situation to him and he suggested resetting the control module(s) for the power sliding doors (I assume there is one for each door, but not being a mechanic, I'm guessing).

Not being familiar with the specifics of everyone else's issues with Uplander doors, this may or may not work for you, but so far it's worked for me.

Before you try to do any fixes yourself, be sure to talk to a reputable automotive repair professional to see if this step is even appropriate for your Uplander door problems. Maybe your local mechanic will be able to help where GM dealers aren't. Good luck!
  • chevyjaxchevyjax Posts: 12
    So I have been having issues with my doors not closing properly, I have also had problems with the warning tone going off while driving down the road, even though the doors appeared to be closed. Yeasterday after dropping the older kids off at school I try to drive away and keep getting the binging noise. I had to open and close the door 3 times, I know it was shut. Then I finally was able to drive off and about a block and a half later, the binging starts again. I find a place to pull over..... and my door is open about 1 inch. I know I closed it. My 3 yr old was in the van with me. He was in his car seat, but that really could have been bad! Luckily I was only going about 35 mph if that. I got video of it on my phone. Maybe they will believe me know!
  • Cindy,

My name is David Jones and I have the exact same problem with my sliding doors dinging all the time. Do you happen to have your GM case number still? If so, I can call GM and reference that case number and tell them I have the same problem.

Thanks so much!
  • bruslbrusl Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Uplander and my remotes will not lock the van, nor is the lock delay working. If I manually lock the doors and use the remotes it will unlock, however it will not lock. And all that when it is cold outside. In warm weather I have no issues.
    Has anybody else had that problem?

Cheers
  • I have a Chevy Uplander 2008 minivan, Used as a Cargo Van. After 30,000 miles, it's displaying "Check Stabilizer and Check Traction Control, & Brake light on". I had it serviced at Chevy Dealer, They said is was a bad contol, they fixed it. Well 3,000 miles later, the same thing showed up on my display. Anyone else had this problem? I have it in the Chevy Dealer shop right now. They claimed they will have it fixed. WE SHALL SEE?
  • I keep having this same problem only my dealership won't fix it without first authorizing an On Board Diagnostic check for $55. I won't allow this because its a scam. I have an OBD and it doesn't come up as an error code, there just trying to soak me. Plus they say it isn't covered under the warranty. I called the police and made a report about the dealership refusing to honor the warranty. Court precedings are coming up.
  • I have had the Alternator replaced on my 05 Saturn Relay, so far so good. The pulsing brakes have been occasionally severe and I have found that it is possible for the rotors to become "off-center" on the hub due to sloppy fit (too much clearance) in the stud to rotor interface. Careful alignment on assembly helps for a while, but eventually they slip. I have been literally tearing my hair out over the power sliding door issues. After having the pasenger side door pop open while driving home from church yesterday, I am going to disconnect the motordrive assemblies on both sides. I f that doesn't work I may weld the doors shut. :mad:
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,577
    Concerning your power sliding doors...I know this sounds like it shouldn't work, but on my '05 Uplander, it absolutely does.

When I first brought it into the dealer a couple years ago for the power sliding door sometimes not closing on the first attempt, they took a Dremel tool and used it on the eight (or so) gold-colored contact points on the body of the van, in front of the sliding door. That worked great. Probably nine months or so later it would happen intermittently again. I use an SOS pad on those points on the body and the door works great. Really. Try it.

Bill
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,548
    Try a rubber pencil eraser to clean those contacts. It may be less abrasive than the SOS metal fibers.

Also coating them with dielectric might keep them from deteriorating the surface.
  • They did do that at the dealership, however, it did not help any.It has gotten to the point where the door only works with any of the buttons about 2% of the time. It also does not close on the first attempt, sometimes not even the 2nd or 3rd attempt. Then while driving down the road the van will start binging saying the door is open, sometimes it will actually open while driving. I have taken it to 3 different dealerships and no one knows what to do. They have replaced every possible component to replace and still nothing. My warranty is running out very soon and GM is really not working with me at all.
  • spike99spike99 Posts: 239

Below is found within: http://www.baileycar.com/recalls_html.html

Not too sure if manual or "power" doors. But since the doors are opening by themselves while driving down the road (like your van), I would assume "power doors" have this problem.

Long post short... This is a known problem with these doors and it appears GM has little interest in fixing (for all). As a safety recommendation, I would "turn off" the manual door function. Turn its switch off and if necessary, "pull its fuse". Having manual sliding doors (like my van) is much safer then auto-doors, then want to open on their own. Especially while driving down the road.. Hope this helps "save a life".

------------

27/11/07

Drivers of the Chevrolet Uplander, Saturn Relay, Buick Terraza, and Pontiac Montana are complaining about a serious sliding door problem, where the doors will open while the vehicle is in motion. More than two dozen complaints have been received by the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration, yet there have been no recalls.

Consumers have complained of having the door pop open at speeds exceeding 45mph and most complaints filed have dealt with 2005-2006 models. In the past, service managers from GM dealerships have previously said there is a quick fix for the problem and they have issued a preliminary report on how to fix the issue, blaming it on doors sensors being affected by debris.

However, there are plenty of consumers who are returning to the dealer time and time again, only to hear that the service manager can't diagnose and/or fix the problem.

If you find that you are dealing with an intermittent sliding door problem, be specific as to when the problem is happening.

How fast are you traveling?
    What are the road conditions?
    What are the weather conditions?
    Do you have problems closing the doors?
    Does the door lock?
    All of this information is very important to the service department when it comes to diagnosing the problem.

Make sure that each time you pick up your vehicle, you receive a repair invoice which clearly outlines your complaints and the repairs.

------------
  • momx8momx8 Posts: 1
    I know that there have been numerous posts about the sliding doors - on this site & many others. What I do not understand is why NHTSA only lists 3 issues for the Uplander. That's all that has been reported - 3 TOTAL? Come guys, now that the government owns most of GM stock, shouldn't they hold themselves accountable for this vehicle's electrical / brake / door safety issues?

I've tried (unsuccessfully) to have the door issue resolved numerous times w/ the service dept. Finally I just pulled the fuse & we have to manually operate the very heavy doors. While sometimes the door locks & interior lights intermittantly flicker/ lock / unlock, at least the door does not come open while I'm driving anymore. I'm filing my NHTSA safety complaint today - THEY NEED TO KNOW THAT GM has NOT RESOLVED THIS! (before some child falls prey to a serious injury!)

Toyota has some serious stuff going on. While this may not compare in magnitude, it is still WRONG for GM not to correct their mistakes even if it causes a little problem with their 'image'. Ok, now I'll get off my saop box :)
  • I totally agree with you! I have had issues with my door since about 6 months after I purchased my vehicle. I purchased it new off the show room floor. No one can seem to fix it. I did file a lemon law lawsuit against GM, but since I live in Florida it is proving to be very difficult to get moving. So far GM has offered me an extended warranty for a problem they can not fix under the factory warranty. Of course since this model is no longer manufactured, they will not do a recall. I feel really let down by GM.
  • I went through the better business bureau to force GM to take mine back under the lemon laws. My door opened automatically while driving down the highway at 70 mph. GM's reply was that if my children were properly seatbelted in, then I have nothing to worry about. I also filed a complaint with the National Transportation and Safety Board. I never received a response.

Short of a lawsuit, I don't know what else to do. Considering they took back that rolling death trap and made me "whole" (barely), I don't know what else to do.

I now own a Toyota :)
  • I had to actually sue GM. They will not take the vehicle back and still can not fix it. I was lucky that the door did not come open on the highway, but it did come open 4 times while driving about 30 mph. I did get a settlement, but it did not even come close to be able to trade my vehicle in for a different one.Since the vehicle is no longer made, it is not worth a can of beans. I owe too much on it to get rid of it. :( I will not be purchasing a GM ever again! :(
  • Has the lawsuit been litigated/settled? The Better Business Bureau made them take it back and pay off my loan. But I had put about $7000 down on it when I bought it and I lost most of that. Just the overall way I was treated was the most disgusting part. I spent 9 months with that craptastic vehicle in and out of the repair shop, encountered more than one dangerous situation, and endured the incessant pinging hundreds of times. But, according to GM, as long as my kids wore seat belts, then I shouldn't complain. I'll never own another GM either.
  • veryconfusedveryconfused Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    I purchased a 2009 Uplander in July 2009 and starting Aug/Sept I would come out to start it up and there it sat dead. For the first couple of time I thought it was something we had done by leaving something on :confuse: . Well after boosting the van two or there times over a three month period and paying more attention to what was on and not on I came to find it was nothing to do with us. So I had the vehicle towed in for the first time, I was told they couldn't find anything wrong and I took it home.....my first mistake. Well as you've most likely guessed I've been "TOWED" back, not once not twice but six times now :cry: :sick: . I've gotten GMC head office involved but that doesn't seem to be helping :( either. They take it in and then tell me they can't find anything wrong with it. They've only changed the battery in six visits......the van only has 10,000 KM or 6,000 miles :lemon: . I'd like to sell it but how do you sell someone something you know isn't working right. Has anyone heard of or had this happen to them. Desperate for help!
  • So you're saying the battery goes dead every couple of weeks? Or is it intermittant?

When I bought my SV6 in 2006 it died on the highway one night. After 1 month in the shop it was discovered that a pin on a wire connector was bent causing the motor to cut out.
    edited April 2010
    My new 2009 Montana van did that as well. re: If I left it sitting for 3+ days, its battery was dead. For the first GM dealer visit, they said it was a bad battery connection. They removed the battery cables (off the battery), wired brushed them down and re-tightened them down. At that time, they said its Charging system was working great and its battery tested OK as well.

After several more "no start" times, I simply dropped my van off at the dealer Monday AM. I told them, "DO NOT touch it until this Friday AM". They left it untouched (in their parking space outside the shop doors) and that Friday AM, it was a NO start (like I told them). Its battery was completely dead. Since its charging system was re-confirmed, they came to the conclusion that its battery was shot (even though its load after full charge testing fine). re: It would accept a charge but after 3+ days sitting, it would self drain itself. Yet, its green light was showing ok. Within my new van, GM dealer installed a brand new Delco battery, and its been working great ever since. Today, I turn its key and it starts great - like its suppose to.

When it comes to stuff like this, its either: 1 - Battery won't hold a charge, 2 - its charging system is NOT working properly, or 3 - something in the background is draining the battery.

If they "fully charge" your van's battery and "pull OFF one of its battery cables" on Monday AM and same battery is dead on Friday AM, you know its factory battery will NOT hold a charge either. If battery is still fully charged, then something inside the vehicle's electrical system is draining the battery. They need to "pull fuses" to determine what item inside the van is draining a connected battery. Who knows, it could even its its BCM - that's supose to go into SLEEP Mode after 15 minutes of no electrical need within the vehicle. If wondering, simple 12V test tools can confirm if its alternator (battery charging) system is working properly as well.... A GM dealer can easily test these 3 conditions. Especially if you leave your van with them for 5 days (like I did - for its battery problem).

If wondering, my local GM dealer DID offer a free rental vehicle while they investigated my new van's electrical problem as well. I decilined - since our '09 Montana van is our secondary / backup vehicle, and my wife did NOT need our van that specific week.

Hope this helps...

• Well it happened again. While driving in the rain on the Interstate when All the lights started to go on and off and then OFF. What a scare to be going 70 and have your lights go off. The headlight switch was in the "Auto" position. I switched to the "Manual on" position which didn't help. Rotating the switch back and forth between positions got the lights back on steady. Chevy dealer installed a new battery and checked the charging system.
    edited April 2010
    I'm a little confused over this repair solution...

To me, it sounds like a very bad 12V connection within its lighting system - creating an OFF/ON condition. Or, perhaps its headlight RELAY module is acting up. Perhaps moisture in the air is influencing the 12V current flow as well? Don't understand why the problem is its battery - especially since its lights came back on, and you were able continue to drive your van.

Do let us know if your new battery fixed the problem...
  • ann5088ann5088 Posts: 2
    I am also having problems with my 2005 Uplander. Major door problems since we purchased the vehicle. Sometimes they will open back up after being closed. You can never tell when it will happen. Sometimes they close all the way sometimes they don't. Also have a problem with the gas gauge when we fill it all the way up the gauge goes crazy and says the gas tank is empty and goes up and down and also the check engine light comes on. So many problems I just can't believe it. And after reading all these posts I am discouraged at finding an answer. The last thing that has happened is that out of nowhere there is now a message saying that 4 wheel drive is disabled. I can't find any information on this does anyone have any information on this problem. Please help.
  • lozaw1lozaw1 Posts: 1
    I thought it was just mine. I have had my Uplander in the dealership 6 times now and they have replaced just about everything and the doors still will not stay shut and if I can get them to close the alarm will not shut off. I have had to pull the fuses out to turn off the alarm and shut off the electric to the doors. I'm about ready to park it for good.