Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Uplander Electrical Problems

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,055
    Hello Lozaw1,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I apologize that you have been experiencing issues with your vehicle. Can you please email me more information about your situation so I can look into it further? You can access my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • trenfroetrenfroe Posts: 1
    well i bought my Uplander Feb.04,2009, I have my headlights/interior lights flicker, my automatic slidding doors alarm go off and have had to pull over on the side of the road and shutt it off and restart the van, ABS light is always on, my steering wheel when i back out of driveway and when i put in tnto gear to go forward and i turn the steering wheel its hard to turn it but if i turn it to go the other way its easy, yesturday came a new problem i was in park and went to step on the brake to put it in drive it made a clicking noise in my steering wheel colum, my back hatch will not open,when my van is on and is in park or at a light it idels up and down like it wants to die(to me anyways) i have put brand new brakes on it with lifetime warrenty and when i go to turn my wheel and press on brake it feels horrid and ABS light comes on again, i go over bumps in the road and my front end rattles it sounds like the darn thing is gonna bust,starting it 80% of the time i have to push on the gas peddle,or it will stall on me!! And who knows what more i have wrong with it..I think its time i get rid of the thing!!
    Hello Trenfoe,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I apologize that you are experiencing issues with your vehicle. Can you please email me more information about your situation so I can look into it further? You can access my email by clicking on it. Thank you,
  • njones60njones60 Posts: 10
    gmcustsvc - I hope you're a better representation of GM than I dealt with. When I called GM's customer service to tell them that after 8 or 9 attempts to repair the door opening by itself, it opened at 70 miles per hour on the interstate. Opened completely! I had to maneuver several lanes of traffic with terrified, screaming children and road debris hitting them in the face to get stopped. The GM rep told me that as long as I have my kids in car seats, it shouldn't have been a big deal. After all, it's not like they are going to fall out. :mad:

I could have chalked up the problems with the Uplander to the design just being crap, but with that kind of customer service, I'll NEVER buy another GM.
  • chevyjaxchevyjax Posts: 12
    I actually had to sue GM over my Uplander. I really did not get a whole lot, I was hoping to get enough that I could trade the vehicle in and get something different, but after I paid attorney fees and everything else, it was really just a waste of time. I am suppose to still be covered under factory warranty since I have had the vehicle for less than 36 months and have less then 36k miles, but they are telling me that the warranty is void..... If I had know that this vehicle was going to be such a pain I would have never purchased it. The worst thing is that since I owe a LOT more than it is worth I can't even get rid of it. I just have to pray that the door will not open any more, I did turn off the electrical components and took the fuse out for the door so the door has to be operated manually now. :(
    Hello Njones60,
    I apologize for the experience that you had. Can you please email me with more details so I can look into the situation further? You can access my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
  • chevyhaterchevyhater Posts: 2
    I just wanted to let you folks know that I have a 2005 Uplander with 36k miles and it is going in for the 4th day straight regarding the sliding door problems. It has opened while we were driving. Sometimes it opens part way and sometimes all the way. It does the same when closing (part way, all the way or not at all). And when it is closed the chime rings all the time. The dealership seems very reluctant to call corporate service and I don't know why, maybe it will cost them money???
  • chevyjaxchevyjax Posts: 12
    After about 9 months we finally settled out of court as advised by my attorney. If we would not have settled, it may have gone on for years. I did contact the BBB,but since we purchased the vehicle and live in Florida there is a much lengthier process than if we lived in a different state. I still have the vehicle since I owe too much to trade it in. We have taken it back to the dealer 3 times since we settled to try to get it fixed, basically I am stuck with the biggest piece of crap on the road. I also have been screwed out of the rest of my factory warranty. According to our paperwork from the dealer we should be covered until November 2010 or until 36k miles, but GM is saying that the warranty is over at only 20k miles and after we only owned the vehicle for just under 2 years. We are the first owners and purchased it new from the dealer off the showroom floor. I will never purchase a GM product again! :mad:
    Hello Chevyhater,
    Can you please email me more information as to what is going on with your situation so I can look into it further for you? You can find my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
  • I also have a problem with the door. I had it fixed less than 2 months ago, and it has started all over again. It starts with the driver's passenger read side not closing. I figured out that I could switch it to manual to close the door and stop the chime. The passenger rear door side just stopped working. So I switched it to the manual position. Then the chime won't stop while driving. Then the chime doesn't stop even though the car is turned off. I've paid once to have the entire sensor unit replaced, and I should have to pay a second time. I have read this on numerous sites so this is obviously a problem that needs to be fixed and NOT by the consumer.
  • chevyhaterchevyhater Posts: 2
    I feel your pain. I've paid $89.95 to have the door cpu reprogrammed; and most recently, I've paid $303.91 to replace the sliding door rear latch assembly. But guess what, my door has worked correctly for 3 days! This is definitely a GM problem but I don't see any chance of recovering my costs. My only way out is to sell this car and never buy another Chevy.
    Hello ihatemycar5,
    I apologize that the fix didn't take care of the problem. Did you ever contact the dealership and tell them that the problem still exists? The first time you had the vehicle fixed, how long did it take before the problem occurred again? Can you please email me more information so I can look into this problem further? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
  • kalynkalyn Posts: 1
    My Uplander has been at the dealership since March 16. We have gotten it back for 1 or 2 days at a time only to have the same problems recur. They have had it for electrical problems including doors opening and closing on their own and chimes continually going off. Being it was still under warranty the dealership has replaced all parts and it still doesn't work. Last week I had to pull our grand daughter out of the way as the door once again closed by itself. When will GM take responsibility for this danger to children? They have continually told us they will fix the problem only to have the same or different problems occur when they "fix" it. This van is a danger to people and their children. We have went in stores and came out to find the doors open, once in the pouring rain. I want to know what happens when I go shopping with my grand children, come out and the doors are open...what happens to us is someone has gotten into the van? This makes me very angry as I read other posts on here and find out GOVERNMENT MOTORS isn't taking care of it's customers and owning their problems!!!
  • emilyl53emilyl53 Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Buick Terraza. From day one, the A/C has never worked right. GM just kept saying it is to spec. Wrong!!! Now they don't even make this van anymore. THey only made it 2005-2007. I also have had numerous electrical problems and engine issues. I have had it in the shop 15 times over 4 years. For the last year, there is a ghost in the machine. My door locks click on and off constantly , along with the interior lights flickering, the alarm goes off alot, the key faub didn't work, the radio controls on the steering didn't work, the horn, my rotors constantly bad, the fuel pump went bad, the steering pump etc etc.... For the 2nd time in 6 months, i took it in to 2 differnet dealerships here in the Ft. Worth area and at the first dealership , the car didn't do it's thing with the locks and lights, so they only replaced the key faub, the radio and a few other things. I had it in this week to another dealership and I had all these clicking noises, lights flickering verified 6 weeks ago and they wouldn't take my car in at that time, I finally raised a ruckus a week ago and this week, they supposedly fixed the problem, which, they replaced the actual interior door locks, the key faub again, the radio again, the horn again. I no sooner yesterday took it home and in 20 minutes, the clicking and flickering lights resumed. I am soooo!! mad, Today we are taking it back to the dealership. However, I know they won't give us back out $200 ded. I know it is the BODY CONTROL MODULE and they refuse to check it. AL electrial goes through this module. All you who had sliding doors open and shut is awful. I bet all these are related to the BCM. I have already had my Power Control Module sort of recalibrated. Thats the engine stuff. My A/C still doesn't cool and I am in the process of moving to MS. We can't afford to trade in because we still owe to much. I wish all GM minivan owners could get a class action suit against them. I am going to have 9 hours to Louisiana and the constant clicking and flicking is going to drive us crazy. HELP! Anyone know an attorney in any state who will get us all together. I know individual suits don't wok, but maybe a class action one will, at least get there attention and give us all the sevice we deserve!!!
    Hello Emilyl53,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I apologize that you have had issues with your vehicle. Can you please email me more information about your situation so I can look into the situation further? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
  • The passenger's door on the driver's side starts to not close because it thinks something is in the way. I then can not close it so I have to turn it off and close it manually. Then the same thing starts to happen to the side door behind the front passenger's side. The next step is even though both doors are closed and set to manual closing, the chime will start to ring....and not stop while driving. This is EXTREMELY distracting and I feel it is dangerous. There are times when the chime doesn't stop even when the car is turned off.

This has happened twice in this sequence. The second time happened after a part was replaced something about a pin was missing. The entire part had to be placed. The second occurence happened about 1 month after being fixed. We took it in and they said that something had to be reset. However, we noticed that the doors had not been set back to automatic. When we clicked the buttons to auto, we had problems with the chiming beginning again. We took it in to have it fixed a 2nd time. They said that it needed "adjusting". The dinging stopped for about 1 week.

We were picking up my son from college 2 hours away from home when the dinging started out of the blue. It would not stop dinging even with the car off. At one point, a passenger behind the driver had shut his door completely when it suddenly opened on it's own. After about 30 minutes we were finally able to get the dinging to stop, Lord only knows how, but we got it to stop.

Today, less than a week after the last incident the chiming started immediately when we turned the car on. We took it in to have it looked at. The only way they could get the dinging to stop was by slamming one of the doors really hard while in the manual setting. Basically this is no more than what we did and is obviously a temporary solution.

This has now become an even more dangerous situation knowing that the car door could open on its own. I will be calling a dealership as soon as possible. I didn't take it to the dealer originally because it was not under warranty. My car has
    45,000 miles on it and this is not acceptable.

I am hoping that the dealer's repair shop will have a permanent solution to this. If not, I will be going to a dealer who I will expect to make me a fair trade. A fair trade meaning they will take the car back and pay off the loan no matter what the balance is. From what I have read, this is a common problem. It sounds to me as if it should have been recalled. What has to happen in order for it to be recalled.....something or someone flying out the door while the car is in motion? I hope Chevrolet will think twice before sweeping this under the carpet. Hopefully other car manufacturers will not make the same mistake that Toyota made by ignoring a dangerous situation.

Other than this problem, I have had only minimal problems with the car. The other thing that is annoying is the remote clicker. When I replaced the battery on one, it was basically impossible to open the remote. When I finally got it openand put in the new battery, it wouldn't work. And yes I did try the battery both ways. I replaced the battery in the other remote and it worked for a while, but it doesn't always lock or unlock and I have to use the key.

So 2 important features to me.....a keyless entry and the electronic sliding doors don't work. The sliding doors were one of the reasons I bought this car. I have 2 more years to pay on this car and quite frankly I don't know if I can put up with the door problem. It's annoying, it's distracting and it is dangerous.

Lorie Steller
    Hello Lorie,
    I apologize that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. Can you please email me more information so I can look into your situation further? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
  • genmtrfangenmtrfan Posts: 78
    Lorie,

There is a piece of black rubber trim that runs the length of the sliding door opening, just under the place where you step into the van (bottom of the door opening). If this piece slips down then it will prevent the door from closing. If this is your problem, all you have to do is push up on the black rubber piece unitl it is back in place all the way accross. Kids tend to step on this piece and slide it down.
  • trishktrishk Posts: 2
    I've had my 2005 Uplander since 2007 and the lights flicker like some others have described. I notice it more so when you drive over a bump. And the power doors SUCK!!!!!!!!!!! I have been to 2 different dealerships and they look at me like I'm nuts when I tell them what the door does. And I've had to run errands in a 4 hour time span and have had to listen to the dinging alarm the whole time, it's enough to drive some crazy!! You spend a lot of money on a vehicle and expect it to function the way it was supposed to and you have to deal with this. We had a 2002 Venture and did not have ! problem with that van (it was totaled in an accident). If Chevrolet is aware of this why are they not correcting it???? Take responsibility for your product and make it right! If anyone knows of a class action suit I want to be a part of it! We have always prided ourselves on buying American made especially Chevrolet but after this I'm not so sure we'll buy a GM vehicle anymore.
  • trishktrishk Posts: 2
    njones60, I would have come thru that phone and strangled someone if they said that to me! What kind of response is that to give a person?? That is a totally unacceptable answer for this problem! Chevrolet should fix this problem! I don't have any money to get my van fixed. Are they waiting for a death to call a recall the problem???