Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Terraza Owners: Meet the Members

2»

Comments

• stobarstobar Posts: 110
    Thanks genmtrfan. We looked at the 2005's after the dealership had closed and decided to go back the next day and take a test drive. They had 5 2005's left on the lot, and two were a Terraza CX and CXL. We liked the options on the CXL and test drove it. After all was said and done (and playing hard ball by preparing to walk out twice), we ended up 8K under the sticker, 6K under invoice. It was new but a demo model. Has every option available and drove nice. They gave us the CX to drive until the other was ready. I'm looking forward to the long road trips we will be taking in it. I am not a computer geek and will have to figure out how to dowload songs and moves to the "Phatnoise" system. I am not familiar with it, but it seems to be a nice option so that we won't have to be carrying along a lot of DVDs. Thanks again.
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Posts: 588
    We're pretty happy with our 2005 CX (optioned up, but still cost us less than the CXL). As mentioned above we've had the issues with dimming lights and the rattling airbag module. The flickering issue hasn't been completely addressed yet, but I'm waiting a bit more to see if a permanent solution appears to take it back (and ours doesn't dim enough to be a real problem anyway).

The best part is that the 3500 is capable of easily exceeding the EPA highway estimates- we averaged 29.5 mpg on just over 11 gallons of fuel (under 1/2 tank for 360+ miles) going to WV this past week, and 26.3 on the trip back (I ran some local in-town trips before gassing up, which I'm sure lowered it by up to .5 mpg).

Both results were manually calculated, rather than trusting the DIC. GMs DICs are normally a bit liberal in my experience (including local driving in this van). But the trip to WV actually read about .5 mpg low, while the reading was dead on for the last fillup (the 26.3). Both were well above the EPA sticker (24 hwy, if I recall correctly). :)

Oh, and the van is also a superbly comfortable highway cruiser. :shades:
  • stobarstobar Posts: 110
    I will be taking delivery of my CXL tomorrow. The vehicle was missing a few items since it was used as a demo the past year. The front floor mats were missing, although the dealership has ordered another set. The second row has the long floor mat. Was there also a floor mat for the third row seating area? There isn't one, but I'm unsure if it comes with one. Thanks.
  • ericzoomericzoom Posts: 213
    I've had my 05 Terraza CXL for about 15 months now,and I could basically take it or leave it. I find the ride fair and the power with the 3.5 passable. The body integrity sucks,and the A/C barely able to keep up with the FL heat. The MPG is typical of these vans,no big deal. I find the only thing that's decent with it is the interior comfort and the generous standard features. I'm thankful I lease the van and not own it. I'll probably turn it in early and take advantage of GM's pull ahead program when the time comes. :lemon:
  • dtownfbdtownfb Posts: 2,915
    I think you answered the question when you stated, "But I like my van and as I guy ( yes ok I am being chauvinist) can live with the idiosyncrasies."

Considering the Sienna and Odyssey outsell the GM vans combined, I think the complaints on the NHTSA hold true and show that the Honda and Toyota vans are more trouble free.

But to a current owner of the vehicle, it doesn't matter. all that matters is your experience with the vehicle.
  • morewasabimorewasabi Posts: 58
    Agree about the Toyota not the Honda. Tons of problems with the Honda. It got spanked with 92 complaints, with some very major transmission and front-end issues. Even on the Edmunds forum for the 2005 Honda they have asked is this the worse Honda ever built? For some reason the Honda slides by on it's issues. The Honda has also had more recalls.
    If you get the tow package you will not have any of the electrical problems that have been the plethora of these discussions in this forum. The tow package comes with the heavy-duty alternator, extra transmission cooler and oil cooler, as well as the towing harness. The heavy-duty alternator makes all the difference. It’s a low cost option too.

We really like our Buick Terraza. Just got back from 4 days vacation, put over 1100 miles on the van. Averaged over 25 mpg hwy and city driving on the trip, Have 5 of us in the van. The van operated wonderfully, quiet, smooth and was even peppy with the 3.5 ltr engine. My wife was driving around 80 mph and I was driving 75 mph. On the way home I sat in the back with my boys and watched a movie. It was great.

The only negative I would say is that I would like to see the seats in the middle row slide side to side so that you could put them together or apart more.

I would get the 3.9ltr engine, tow-package, and rear heater/ac options. Check out the car buying guide on Edmunds and go particularly to the maintenance section. You can then pull up the service bulletins and really get to see what the issues are on the vans that you’re looking at. Stay away from the Kia. It has many problems, and gets poor mpg.

Oh, we decided to go with GM as we didn't want to pay a $10,000 premium for the Honda or Toyota. We paid $26,000 and a similar Honda and Toyota was $35K plus. With a family of 5 we have many more things we can do with the extra $$$.

Good luck.
  • cmyers300mcmyers300m Posts: 206
    We got the tow pkg in our '03 Venture, it is worth the extra cost. We got the Warner Bros Edition so we have the DVD player and 3 captain chairs accross the middle....love it!
    I do like that the new GM vans have a split rear seat, I could really use that a lot. It's great to hear you like the Terraza 'cause that's the van we like the most! It's been hovering on the top of my list. I like the added luxury and you get a 4 year warranty!!! All for about the same price as the other GM vans. My only regret would be that I would have to give up the wonderful service dept. my Chevy dealer has. They've been the best service dept. since I had my Infiniti years back.
    I agree with you on the 3.9L engine. I read a lot of postive things about it and I would like to have it.

As far as cost, you're right. I've priced Honda and Toyota and in the Honda there isn't much room to negociate price and it's more than the Buick. The Toyota is way too expensive once you add options. In addition, you can't get the DVD system unless you get the Limited model!!!! Their packaging of options is still as bad as it ever was. I think the Toyota is a great product, but come on...it's a minivan.
    I think the Buick is the way to go. It has the added quiet tuning that really makes a difference. The leather on the Buick is also an upgrade. Buick's reputation among GM has always been on the top for quality and service. You get a lot in the Buick that you would pay extra with the others. Also the Buick had an upgrade rear suspension compared to the other GM models. The features we really like is the auto load levelers, the built in air compressor (works great..used it before our trip to get all the tire pressures right), Ultrasonic rear Parking assist. The ride is very very smooth and quiet. It was great as the kids watched the DVD and we could hear them giggle in the back.

I would have gone for the 3.9 ltr if it was available in 2005. Looks like in 2007 the 3.9 ltr may be standard.
  • cmyers300mcmyers300m Posts: 206
    My WB edition has the load level suspension(which is awesome to have when your moving heavy objects), parking assist(which is great since my wife will hit anything), and air compressor too(which I've never used...wierd huh). I think the Buick's independent rear susp. would be nice, not to mention sound proofing. I also like all the wood accents as well in the Buick. My 300M has it and I really like the looks.

How have your power doors been? That's the only thing I ever had problems with. Now they're fine, but I've heard of recent GM vans that have the doors opening on their own while the vehicles moving!!! My doors have never malfunctioned like that, thank goodness.

I heard the 3.9L will probably be standard too. However, I also heard that they may do away with the better suspension and sound deadening material as a cost cutting measure. Just when auto makers get things right, they always change it or get rid of it.
    Regardless, you're starting to sell me on this Terazza van:)------thanks for the input! :)
    No issues with the doors. One note if you have power doors and you accelerate forward before they close all the way they will open. I think that’s true with any van doors. The van works well, its solid and quiet. I can’t see how Buick can move away from quiet tuning as that is part of the new Buick marketing differentiation. I also heard about the suspension being changed to match the other models.

We get lots of compliments on the Van. Lots of people ask what make is this?
    And when they ride in it, they really like it. :)
  • wes91313wes91313 Posts: 1
    HI All

We are pleased with our Terraza.We would like a softer ride,on the rear end.
    I quiried Buick about a retro-fit for the shocks on the load levelling system.
    There is no package made for a Terraza,yet.We will keep looking and hoping
    to get a better ride.

We really love the 3.9 liter engine and are looking to buy an Enclave,when they smarten up and put in a good engine.

Any information about decent shocks can be emailed to me at
    julius13@telus.net as I do not come to this site very often.

wesleyc :)
2»
This discussion has been closed.