Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo C70 Brake Problems

2»

Comments

• jondsjonds Posts: 6
    I have a 2004 XC90 with about 60K miles on it, and have always had dust buildup occur very quickly after cleaning. I just did a search for fixes and see that there are "brake dust shields" sold by a company to address this problem. I'm wondering if anyone has ever used these, and if so are they effective? Just do a google search for volvo brake dust shields and you'll find one.
  • If you search around you will see two schools of thought on brake dust shields (besides Volvos they are popular for a lot of other European car brands - this topic always gets a lot of discussion on Mercedes forums, since M-B OE pads also make a lot of dust).

Everyone seems to agree that they DO keep the dust off of your wheels to a great extent. The debate is whether they are otherwise harmful to your car, by reducing the cooling air-flow around the brakes. You will undoubtedly run across some horror stories of warped brake rotors, etc., as well as many posters who say that they use them with absolutely no problem. My guess is that for most normal driving use, there is no problem. But for some heavy-duty use, maybe they do lead to hotter brakes, and some increased risk under heavy use of brake fade, rotor warping, etc. If you aren't hot-footing it everywhere, and if you're not doing things like towing trailers, or driving in steep mountain areas all the time, you are probably just fine.
  • tom007tom007 Posts: 40
    Haven't posted for a long time, but saw my old posts about brake dust on rear wheels and thought I would throw out what I did. I have fought brake dust on back wheels for six years. I just had rear brakes pads installed with good quality pads and after three weeks of running, I have had little to no dust on back wheels. (I only have 22,000 miles on the 2006 C70 as of this writing). Original pads were almost to rotors. Should have lasted 40,000 miles. Front wheels have always stayed clean.Dealer always told me that it was normal for back wheels to get brake dust . Had to clean dust twice a week before.
    Tomjeff007
  • tmarttmart Spring, TXPosts: 1,006
    On my 99, all four wheels get dirty quickly, especially the fronts.
2»