Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru B9 Tribeca Transmisson Problems

Comments

• The dealer never mentioned the code. Can I just ask them for it? Shouldn't they have it in their documents? Also, stupid question, but what does the code tell you?
  • hmm...I'll check this out. I have an extended warranty, so hopefully it would be covered. I'll look into that.

Interesting thing is, the last oil change showed some sediment in the old oil. Wondering if that is related.
  • xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,391
    It should be documented. The code tells you which sensor(s) was out of spec, which can give someone diagnosing the issue some clues as to what went wrong. For example, if a misfire was thrown, then you know it was a fuel, air, or timing issue (or combination of those), and that can help pinpoint the problem. Since this message is in a "transmission problem" thread, one might conclude that you suspect your transmission... yet it may have nothing to do with it.
    Sediment? That's not good. Consider an oil analysis so that you know what is actually in there; that could tell you something as well. They are pretty cheap at $25. I send mine to a company called Blackstone Labs.
  • Thank you, will try that.
  • Just called dealer, only code was P0303 w/other cylinder misfires.
    Okay, so have we established the number of miles on your car? If you're getting misfires, I would start with ensuring the health of the spark plug wires, the plugs themselves, and then the distributor. You can check resistance in the wires with a multimeter tool in the ohmmeter setting.

If those things check out fine, and since you have already gone through the fuel system, I would consider replacing the knock sensor and see what happens. I had a knock sensor issue with my 1996 Outback, and it never registered in the computer. Yet, once replaced, it cleared up a whole array of issues (some serious, some just annoying). It was definitely the best money I ever spent on that car.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Isn't the Tribeca distributor-less?

It may need an ignition coil instead.
  • 50k miles, not a lot.
    :blush: Coil, distributor; they serve the same purpose!
    No, not a lot. I'd check the plug wires first.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    The only difference is the cost. :D

My last ignition coil was $80, my last distrubitor cap+rotor kit was only a fraction of that cost.
  • Took the car into another dealership this morning. They are going to perform the 60k maintenance and check out the issues I've been having.

Will let you know what they find. Hopefully warranty items.
  • At 30,000 miles, the engine had begun smoking and the transmission continued to experience hard shifting when I took it in for its regular maintenance. That evening, I test drove the new 2012 VW Passat, and bought it, trading in the Tribeca which still held a very good trade-in value, surprisingly. We wiill miss the roominess and comfort of the tribeca but not the aggravation with transmission problems that remained unresolved after 3rd replacement in 2 years. Subaru lost a customer for life with this model.
  • Took the car to a different dealer. They did the 60k mi work. Spark plugs were really bad. All replaced and car is running good now.

Thanks for all of the advice!
  • well i understand that everyone is having problems with the tribeca transmission ,but i dont see anyone putting the mileage down where it started having problems ,because i bought a 2008 tribeca and i have not had a issue with this suv yet and i have 90,000 km on it and not one problem with trans ,motor ,drivetrain ,nothing it runs very smooth and so far its the best suv i have bought to date ,

But i will say that trying to find replacement wipers is a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] and the dealer likes to see u show up so they can smile with dollar signs when they see u coming threw the door ,(not so fun....)
  • ilushka03ilushka03 Posts: 9
    edited January 2012
    I originally posted an issue with the transmission not shifting smooth from 2nd to 3rd on cold engine back when my car had about 25k-30k miles. However, I now have 71k mi on it, and it is still runs as new. It is a 2006 7-pass. Limited, and I never had any issues with drive train, transmission, engine or anything at all. Just had to replace the sway bar bushings at around 40k mi. (picked them up from Subaru dealer and did it myself and took me lees than 1hr) I replaced my OEM tires last year at 63k mi. with Bridgestone Dueler Alenza, good improvement over stock tires, (much better in rain and snow, and quiet smooth ride) rated for 65k mi so I'm sure it will last another 65k mi. As far as transmission issue, it only does it when engine is cold, but if I warm up the car for 5-10min it is very smooth. I had it the transmission-computer re-programmed a while ago but it didn't seem to help a lot. It looks like they have updated software for engine and transmission but I'm not sure if I should do it or not at this point. I wish it would have came with CVT, then it would be much smoother and better on gas. (for my past 5years and 60k mi I averaged about 19.5-20.5mpg, do get about 23.5- 25mpg on HWY only) So it has been a great and perfect SUV for my family needs.
  • i find out a trick.Buy a bosch replacement wiper blades ,then slide em in and you will cut the cost on one tenth of the dealer price . Have a nice day !
  • Our car is two weeks old. Within the first week our brand new tribeca was shifting hard. It only had 7 miles when we purchased it. Now its two weeks old and it does it several times during driving some harder shifts. I just sold our volvo xc90 and we had a new trans. in that. I know what this shift hard means a bad trans. right from the factory. My volvo had the same hard shift as the trans. went bad. Has anyone else had this issue brand new. I am taking it into the dealer. I drive around miles a week to work and back.