Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Tires and Wheels

15678911»

Comments

• was getting such a good deal on the R17 tires that it would still be cheaper to buy new rims then new tires. If I do put 17" rims on, is there anything like having to change the gear ratio or a lift kit?
  • mac24mac24 Posts: 3,910
    If I do put 17" rims on, is there anything like having to change the gear ratio or a lift kit?

No, because the only difference between the two tire sizes wolud be the hole in the middle that rim goes in; the outside diameter of the tire remains the same.
  • I spoke to someone that said I would need to put 2" spacers and add 5x5 to 5x4.5 adapters to compensate for the larger tires and rims. This still might be cheaper or about the same price as getting new tires. Any ideas?
    Something doesn't sound right with the rims you're intending to get, especially if you can get the 17" tires and rims for a better price than just replacing your 15" tires.

Which rims are you looking at, and are they new?
  • capriracercapriracer Somewhere in the USPosts: 785
    Internet concensus (I know. That's an oxymoron!) is that adaptors are bad news. they are the source of many problems and should be avoided.
    Couldn't agree more. One should always get the right size to start with, not adapt the PCD and offset with adaptors and spacers.
  • I have a 2005 jeep wrangler X, I have 33x10.5x15 tires on my stock rims. To make this work I installed a 2 inch suspension lift (springs and shocks) and a 1.25 inch body lift. I also placed a washer behind the steering stops to keep from rubbing.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    I have Wrangler factory wheels AND spacers on mine, but that is only to fit the 33x12.5" tires. :)

Same effect as wheels with the same effective backspacing. Only a pain in the butt when it comes to working on the brakes - twice as many lugs.

Having said that, if I had the chance to replace my wheels with alloy wheels of the same backspacing (or even a bit less), I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. :)

But problematic? No, not unless you don't install them properly or maintain them when you do rotations.

-Paul
    As I recall, you are using high quality spacers with OEM rims and no adaptation of the number or location of the lug nuts.

If spacers must be used then that is probably the ideal application.
  • Death Wobble, that seems about right. I've had my 03 wrangler since the beginning with only 5 miles. I now have 97,165 and the death wobble has been happening now for a few weeks. I assumed it was the tires. got em balanced, rotated, inflated, and basically any "ated" thing I could and for a bit, PERFECT!
    But oh the wobbles... back in full force. Its not EVERY time, but it's definitely every OTHER time. Usually with an acceleration or decelerations, 40-50 get me shaking like an alkie in detox! and i have to let up a bit, then wait for the shakes to go away. I can usually GRADUALLY speed back up. Same thing when i'm slowing down. If i start the process and try to make it all happen faster than it wants to, it starts shaking.
    So, i guess it looks like some fixin is need here.

Also, i do have a question "can i install an AC system in it?" I live in Austin and well, i think that explains it. Would be a nice little treat to have an ac.

~G
  • Hey .. I have 2003 Wrangler and had the EXACT same problem. The fix: replace the traction bar. The part was about 125.00 and the labor was about 125.00 but the death wobble has been gone for the last 30K miles. My Jeep has 102K miles in it with 30 inch Goodyears and rides perfect at all speeds. I did all of the same things you did ... rotate tires, rebalance, etc. nothing worked until I replaced that traction bar. Good luck! Ron
15678911»