Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Wrangler Tires and Wheels

Comments

• erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    Lots of choices:

www.4x4groupbuy.com
    www.4x4rockshop.com
    www.northridge4x4.com
    www.redrock4x4.com

Pretty much any reputable online 4x4 shop will have em. Go with a decent maker like Advanced Adapters.

You will likely also need to get at LEAST adjustable rear upper control arms to rotate the rear pinion up a bit bit to more appropriately line up the angle with the driveshaft. There are lots of writeups online about SYE (slip yoke eliminator) setups.

-Paul
  • I have a 2008 jeep wrangler x I have not done anything to it. I was wondering what size tires and wheels I can put on it with out haveing to lift it?
  • I have an 06 Sport with, yuck, hubcaps! I wanted to get new rims and tires and wanted a second opinion if they will really fit. I don't go off road but do a lot of highway driving so I'm not going taller.

wheels 15x8 with 3.68 backspacing

tires 265/75R15

Am I OK here?
    3.68" BS seems kinda high for a tire of that dimension if I'm reading it right. I have 33x12.5" and have 4.25" and would prefer to be at 4". In case you didn't know, the higher the BS number, the more 'tucked in' a wheel will be. So a 5.5" BS wheel will be tucked nicely (stock wheel) whereas a 3.75" BS wheel will stick out a bit more.

They should fit just fine, but may stick out a bit more than you want them to. It will be noisier as less tire will be muffled by the fender, and I guarantee you will be kicking up more water/dirt/grime on the highway...

Not advising against it, just advising on what you can possibly expect.

-Paul
  • I've been so concerned about the tires rubbing I didn't think about how far they would stick out. Guess I'll look around for something with a little more backspacing.
    More backspacing = lower number.

Less backspacing = higher number. :)

If you go with something about 3.75-4" you should be good, even if you go up in tire size a bit. 3.68 just seems a bit odd to me.

Here's 4.25" of backspacing with 33x12.5" tires.

3.68 would stick out about a half inch more, but keep in mind my tires are 12.5" wide (wheels are only 8" wide).

-Paul
  • Seems like everywhere I look the backspacing is somewhere between 3.25 and 3.75. I guess I'll just suffer through wet elbows when ever I run through a puddle with my arm out the window. Even though I think I've seen them all, can you recommend a web site for rims? I've been trying to get a 15x7 or 15x8 in a black gloss finish.

Thanks for the help!
    WAY too many to specifically mention any in particular. You looking for alloy or steel?

-Paul
  • I've narrowed my choice of rims down to a couple. They're gonna have to stick out a bit but I can always get bigger fender flares if it's a problem. Now I have a bit of confusion on tires. As I understand it, 31's will fit without a lift or modifying the fenders, but it sure seems close to the top of the current plastic fender flare. Will I have any problems with them rubbing going over bumps? Also, with either 30 or 31 inch tires, what issues will I have with the spare? Am I looking at buying 5 tires either way I go?
    30 or 31's won't be a problem with stock suspension/height. If 31's look closed, you may have older springs and they are sagging a bit.

30/31's will fit the stock tire carrier w/o issue. 32's and 33's may be a problem width/height wise if you are on stock wheels. An aftermarket tire carrier would likely be your safest bet in protecting your tailgate.

-Paul
  • Which tires should i put on my wrangler?

-Wrangler MT/R w/ Kevlar
    -Wrangler DuraTrac

or should i go with some BF Goodwrichs?

and can i put 33" tires on my jeep. I have a 2" lift on it now and i have 32" tires, but can i add that extra inch and not rub?
    Fitting depends a LOT on backspacing of your wheels. If you have stock wheels, 33x12.5's will rub when turning. 33x10.5's shouldn't be a problem. Your 2" lift is VERY close for fitting 33's. If you don't offroad it, you'll be okay. If you wheel it, you really need an extra inch or so (a perfect time for a body lift).

As for brand, go with what YOU feel comfortable with that is in your budget. I run TrXuS personally and they rarely get me stuck. My transmission skid gets me stuck more than any lack of grip from the tires. :)

If you want brands, take a look at the BFG's, Cooper MT's, and Firestone MT's...

-Paul
  • Okay well i decided to go with the 33x12x15 Wrangler DuraTrac's
    I'm looking for a good 1-3" body lift or maybe a higher suspension lift.
    Any suggestions?(and i have a 6 speed)

Then another thing is im tring to sell the tires im taking off.
    I have 5 Sport King A/T's with only 4,000 miles on them.
    Im trying to sell them on craigs list,
    and dont want to mess with ebay b/c of shipping.
    Any ideas on how i can sell these?
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,010
    Try a local 4WD specialty/repair shop or maybe even the Jeep dealer. I once got a set of tires for my CJ-5 at a service station that took them in trade for some work.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

I personally wouldn't go any bigger than a 1.25" Body lift from JKS. Most lifts are 1", but the JKS gives an extra .25". Bigger body lifts raise concern about safety with those longer bolts and IMO look terrible with a HUGE gap between the tub and the frame.

Combine THAT with a simple little 2" budget boost. A budget boost (BB) is basically coil spacers that fit on TOP of your springs. They usually require a bit longer shocks, but the ride is much like stock. That is the cheapest way to do it. You CAN go with a nice suspension lift from Old Man Emu (OME), Rubicon Express, or any other quality ones out there. You'll generally pay more for this route, but it often provides a great ride and stronger components for your Jeep.

Personally, I did the 1.25" Body lift with a 2.75-3" suspension lift to give me about 4.25" total lift. I run 33x12.5x15 mud terrain tires too.

-Paul
  • Thanks for the help Paul.

Im going to replace my 2" spacer with a 3" spacer.
    I just dont want to mess w/ a body lift since i have a 6 speed and im worried about the looks of a body lift.
    Anyways, Some people hace said it is optional to change the shocks and others have said it is highly recomended.
    can i keep these on, or should i switch them out?

If i need to change them what should i go with?
    For a 3" lift you REALLY want to change the shocks. Your flex will be limited and you'll put a lot of strain on the shock itself.

Personally, I run Old Man Emu shocks and LOVE em.

My TJ has a 1" BL, but you'd be hard pressed to notice unless you know exactly where to look. A BL is a LOT less obvious on darker Jeeps. I have a manual. I did the body and motor lift together. The motor lift gives the motor a bit of a tilt to minimize issues with shifters. It also flattens the angle for the driveshaft to reduce vibes you may encounter with a lift. I had vibes with the OME lift, so I installed the motor lift and all is great now. If you do a BL, but do NOT do a motor lift, you WILL need to relocate the fan shroud around your cooling fan. If you don't, well, let's just say you don't wanna find out.

Here's my TJ with the OME lift and JKS BL/MML setup.

If you look in the rear wheel well in the following pic, you can see the gap created by the body lift... not really noticeable.

-Paul
  • I think when they made the JK model... it meant ..JUST KIDDING!... Because this is seriously some kind of terrible joke. I am the owner of a 2007 Wrangler Sahara. It has 40k on it and has had the Death Wobble for the last 15k. To tell everyone what the death wobble is ...it a a random violent shaking of the truck. The first time it happened I thought for sure a tire had come completely off the Jeep. I pulled off to the side of the road only to find all the tires were on and intact. This was just the beginning of the long still unresolved road with this truck. I have worked with an amazing Chrysler dealership that has done all that they can do. I have spent hours in the phone trying to find someone who just speaks english to help me with my completely unsafe truck. After months of phone calls and no help I gave up. Now I own a truck that has a large loan left on it and is worth about half...i can't knowingly sell of trade an unsafe vehicle. So I ask... Chrysler...who is going to bail me out? The larger issue is there is no fix if your lucky you may get one of the many suggestions to work but it is likely temporary. This is the truck I HAD to have...and now I cannot even drive it. I am a hazard on the road in this thing. :lemon:
  • Hey Jim .... thanks for your post. I am the original owner of a 2003 Jeep Wrangler X. At 65K miles the death wobble started on me. I have taken the Jeep to 3 different Jeep dealers and the tires have been balanced multiple times (road forced and spin balanced). The Wrangler GSA's were new at 60K miles. There is not lift kit on my Jeep and I have only been off road twice in 6 years. MY POINT: Thank you for your post. At 94K miles, I had the track bar replaced, new Wrangler Silent Armours, and new Monroe Sensatrac shocks added all the way around. FINALLY the death wobble is gone from my Jeep. I took your post and several others into the mechanic as "reference" material and he agreed after some test driving and pulling on the slightly worn track bar bushings. Thanks again ... Ron
  • busababe07busababe07 Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I am trying to "pimp" out my 95 Wrangler for my son. I am a single mom so bear with me here...LOL

I am wondering what size wheels and tires will give him that rugged look without sacrificing safety. He will only be driving around town...maybe 4wheeling once in a while. The jeep is currently stock; exactly what it came with. He is also wanting to do a 4" lift kit? I have been told that a 2" kit would be much better. Any thoughts?

Thanks!