Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Express/GMC Savana Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• ap1268ap1268 Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 chevy express 8 passenger van. I have seen this version with a 4th. row (which I want to add to my van). Does anyone know if it is hard to add the 4th. row? I moved the carpet and there are not any seat tracks. What do I do? I found a person willing to sell me a seat, but i do not know what to do next.
  • We have a 2004 Gmc/Savana cargo van with side doors and windows on both sides and want to install a full bench seat just behind the drivers seat to carry the grandchildren and still have the back to haul things. Can you give us some advice. where to find a deal on seats, belts, installationl etc.
  • Due to our family size increasing from 7 to 9 in the next few months, we are going to sell our Express 1500 LT. We recently purchased an 2005 Express 3500 12 pass with rear passenger doors on both sides, which we have searched over a year for!! However, compared to our 1500, the 3500 is really bare bones. We are military and tend to travel often to see family, so a video system is crucial. Have found one that has one flip down screen like our 1500, however with the seating arrangement think dual screens are a must. Also, there are no cup holders in the rear...Another thing we would like to add is a 12V plug in the back for our teenagers game systems. Wondering how all this will fit into the wiring system and sound system. Also, does anyone have any experience doing this with their own van? Would appreciate any input. Would like to have all modifications done ASAP as we don't won't to sell the 1500 until it is done. Thanks in advance! K
  • julli5julli5 Posts: 2
    I purchased my unit from Walmart.com with an installer card. The tv is big enough for our 12 passenger GMC Savana. The installers used the overhead dome light up front to power the system. This system also had the option to plug in items to the dvd unit. Worth looking into for the price and my kids love it!

Prepaid Professional Install Card - Mobile Video/DVD Player 1 Will arrive between Friday, 09/04/09, and Friday, 09/11/09. $99.98

DP Video 9" Flip-down Monitor with built-in DVD player, DZD9500 1 Will arrive between Friday, 09/04/09, and Friday, 09/11/09. $168.88

We also bought things from this website:

www.discountvantruck.com
    We bought our seat from them and it worked out well also!
  • byrd67byrd67 Posts: 1
    julli5, From your post i understand you had a flip down dvd unit installed.
    Can i ask if you have the rear a/c - heat? Did the controls interfer with the dvd player at all whether during the installation or during operation / screen blocked from a/c heat controls?

Does anyone know if the 2009 1500 8 passenger van can except a fourth row seat?
  • ivanpivanp Posts: 1
    Hello all Im very new here

I purchased a 2007GMC 2500 Explorer conversion van for a wheelchair transport for my son who was born with spina bifida. I have lift in it. Its a 6L. I am having some traction problems I have tiger paw snow tires that I run at low pressure. Any suggestions on size of tire and type or jjust weight back end ? I dont think it has stabilitrack. Its a very important vehicle for us and I really could use some help thanks.
  • You may know this by now, but the seats in a 2001-02 Express LT are modified seats from a Safari SLT/Astro LT. The brackets fit the mini-van. They removed the track for the bench seat but designed the storage compartment for the wire under the seat. You can put your bench seat on a track from an Astro bench seat and keep the storage box. An Express LS has two rails bolted to the floor. You can install factory rails, including a third seat to convert a 1500 to a 12 passenger by drilling the holes from underneath the van. The locations are easy to identify from underneath when you have a rail in your hand to see where the bolts are. As far as a "crew version" of a cargo van goes, one could buy an 8 passenger with the "delete seat" option to become a 5 passenger then remove the rear side glass and replace it with the hinged access doors for the cargo van upgrade. I owned a 99 1500 I made into a 12 passenger and now have a 2001 LT.
  • Thank you, did not know the LT bucket seats came from the 'Astrofari'! I will check out these seats and brackets. I have already installed the (Express) brackets (and GM belts) in the rear most position, and occassionally use the 3seat bench, 'limo style' there. My seating needs are 1, 2, and occassionally 4. I need the Express to carry a snowmobile (inside) and then park in a populated area. The Passenger-Express, with the seats installed, is a !@#$Pain, carrying plywood/drywall sheets, on the seat backs. Hopefully, in a ' 4 seat Express', I can carry long items between the seats
  • Hi Bill! I am looking at purchasing a GMC Savana or Chevy Express soon. The one I am looking at right now is a 2002 GMC Savana. It is currently an 8 passenger. I was wondering what I need to know to figure out if I can add a third bench seat (to make it a 12 passenger). Also, where is the best place to find a used (but decent) seat?
    Thank you!
  • newsie23newsie23 Posts: 17
    I have installed the rails and belts, in my 03 AWD 1500 - to be able to move a seat to the rearmost position. I warned NOT to install an extra seat in a 1500 - I assume the 2500 and 3500 have 'proper credentials' for an extra seat
  • Thank you for your reply! The van I am looking at is a 1500. So, are you saying you did it in your 1500, but that you were warned against it?
  • newsie23newsie23 Posts: 17
    I made my purchase, conditional on the 'new tracks' and seat belts. My thought, was to find bucket seats (haven't) so I could carry ?plywood? etc., between the rear (bucket) seats, as I didn't need passenger capacity, and like the seat in the rear (limo style) with the luggage, in between. I don't like trucks - my 03 AWD has only 48-km (30-mi) - its main purpose is to carry a snowmobile inside, and park on the street in a metro area (& carry #$%^ for my buddies). It is truly better than any pickup. Early on, there was an AWD 2500 cargo van, with limited 'extra' capacity rating. I assume, my dealer was concerned with any legal liability, if 'he' was enabling any overload, passenger capacity, for himself or GM. It truly is a stupid, one passenger vehicle!
  • Becky - I also have an 03 AWD 1500 and am adding a 4th row. where did you get your rails?
  • I assume my dealer, used the GM Parts bin, as they match the existing rails. They are installed in an offset position, to 'fit the seat' in its width.
  • ">I have a 2001 Express LT van. We're waiting to tow a 7000k travel trailer with it. Book says it can 7600k with the right set-up. So what is the right set-up?

Here's what I'm guessing I would need:
    * Electric trailer brake controler
    * Weight distubution hitch
    * Transmission cooler

What else do you all think I need to install?
  • My son has a 2000 Chevy express van with 2 front bucket seats and has 2 children that require child seats. Is there a center console seat or jump seat available that would fit between the 2 bucket seats so he could install a child seat when needed? Or would a low back bucket seat also work?
  • I'm sure you're not monitoring this thread, but just in case you happen upon it again, can you PLEASE tell me how you found a full-size van with two passenger doors. Thanks!
  • apieriapieri Posts: 1
    If you mean left and right passenger doors, then I can explain...van customization company's like "Explorer" order the express that way to build a custom conversion van. As far as finding a van that is not customized with those left and right side doors, I do not think you will find one. But, if your really want one, you would have to order factory direct.

If you are looking for a used van, I am selling my 2009 chevy express dark green in color. It seats 11 (I added a 3rd row). I am buying a 15 pax as my family has grown and I do not have enough room.
  • That would be a great idea (especially since everyone is carrying only whites. ugh) But, we have nine in our family, and we had a 15 pax for a while and LOVED it. We'll be going back to that (from a 9 pax suburban).

Thanks for the information, I guess I'll have to call a dealer. boo.
  • http://www.cerullo.com/consoles/astroVan.html Has center console seats for the Astro and safari that slide back and forth like the bucket seat. It has a lap belt and storage area. we are looking into it for our 1998 Chevy astro van.